[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

English language 'losing importance' - EU's Juncker

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 1

File: french-logo[1].jpg (70KB, 544x242px) Image search: [Google]
french-logo[1].jpg
70KB, 544x242px
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39816044

>European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker has told a conference in Italy on the EU that "English is losing importance in Europe".
>Amid tensions with the UK over looming Brexit negotiations, he said he was delivering his speech in French.
>"Slowly but surely English is losing importance in Europe and also because France has an election," he said, explaining his choice of language.
>He called the UK decision to leave the EU "a tragedy".
>Laughter and applause greeted his comment about the English language, and he could be seen smiling wryly.

Okay guys, time to start learn some fucking french now
>>
>>136982
>All of Asia learns English for international trading
>The Middle East learns English for international trading
>The english language is losing importance because a bunch of Europeans are fucking salty about losing their claim to one and a half pissant islands.

The only thing losing importance is the European Union and I thank every Syrian refugee for making that happen. Fuck EU.
>>
>>136982
And when France leaves the EU?
>>
>>136982
How fucking salty can they be bloody hell, don't they realise they sound this way?
>>
>>136988
Your dubs show what comes next in whatever guise they wrap it up in
>>
It's surprising they don't all die from high blood pressure from all the fucking salt their spewing.
>>
How pathetic and petty are these "politicians"? This is kindergarten niveau. Guess what Junkie French or German are literally worthless in international affairs.
>>
One step down from getting their mum on us t b h
>>
So many salty Brexiteers.
Why should they keep using English when we've left?
For the sake of the Irish?
Don't make me laugh.
>>
Literally a petty bitch whining about not getting his way and trying to use backhanded "you're losing status and importance in the world, so now your language is irrelevant" nonsense ignoring the fact that the leader among nations (America) and other mighty first world nations all speak English and that just because he and Germany are salty about losing (again) that suddenly the international standard of language is going to change.

You could go on about "salty Brexiteers" all you like - but anyone with eyes can see that Juncker and company are a bunch of flailing retards that throw out ridiculous statements in the hope of getting support - not realising that their arrogance and cocksuredness is having the opposite effect.
>>
>>137061
If it mattered so much, then why did they use English prior to Brexit? Wouldn't it be weird if Trump or Putin delivered speeches in foreign languages?

Not even a Brexit supporter and I can see that this is france (EU by proxy) being their typical, petty and ineffective selves.
>>
>>137152
>If it mattered so much, then why did they use English prior to Brexit?
Have a think. I'm sure you'll work it out.
Hint: They didn't use English before the UK joined.

>Not even a Brexit supporter and I can see that this is france (EU by proxy) being their typical, petty and ineffective selves.
You do a good impression of one.
>>
>>137146
Junker says
> "English is losing importance in Europe".

You say
>Junker says "you're losing status and importance in the world, so now your language is irrelevant"

Post truth life.
>>
Time for me to learn German then.
>>
>>136987
You forgot that pilots on international fights all speak English to communicate.
>>
Yeah that's why youth in the Netherlands prefers English right. I'm 30, type in English with friends and half my spoken sentences are riddled with English words as well. See this lots in my age group, can only imagine it being used more and more with younger groups.
Dutch will die within the next few decades.
>>
>>136982
not going to happen. english is the language of business. it's the most common language used.... in europe. juncker and the eu gang are just pathetically trying to intimidate britain, without realising everyone sees through it.
>>
Anyone with even a basic understanding of linguistics would laugh at the thought of English fading away.
>>
>>137188
> English fading away
Anyone with basic reading comprehensions would realise that's not what the story is about.
>>
>>137157
Again, the most spoken trading language is English. Asia isn't going to start learning French and German and Italian and whatever the fuck else, they're going to keep speaking English when trading internationally.

As will India, as will the Middle East. As will the USA, as it is their language and they're basically the fucking economic backbone of the world because everyone is mired in their shit. So no, Europe can play Polly Pissypants all it wants as it kicks its feet and beats its fists in its temper tantrum that someone would dare not do what they want them to do, but this shit is just petty shitslinging.

>Laughter and applause greeted his comment about the English language, and he could be seen smiling wryly.

I mean look at this shit. The EU is suffering crisis after terror attack and all these fuckwads can do is sit around and go WELL THE UK IS A BUNCH OF DUMB POOPIES! >:)))))

If English truly is losing importance in Europe, then considering it's the international trading language it simply means Europe is losing importance on the international stage. But it's not losing importance in Europe because sadly Europe isn't that far gone yet, it's just a bunch of old cunts crying about nothing.
>>
>>137187
/thread
>>
this is beyond retarded. china have the most english speakers no?
>>
>>136982
If you don't see this as blatant EU propaganda you are simply blind. This is a lame tactic to make UK citizens feel like the EU has not been dealt a harsh blow by brexit. They are resorting to this nonsense because they are terrified of other EU countries following suit. It's the main reason why the propaganda masters are doubling down on the french elections.
>>
>>136987
Jebaj sie idioto.
>>
>>137175
I used to do this in Greece, but as you grow older you kinda learn again.
>>
As long as English speakers keep pumping out consumer products that everyone likes and making scientific achievements, English ain't going anywhere. Hell, the Queebs all know some English and that's the only French part in all of North America.
>>
Is this the new attempt at white-shaming?

For fucks sake, this is pathetic.
>>
>>136987
Englihs and French are the two most common languages for trade just fyi.
>>
>>137325
I guess, but people generally agree English will vastly influence the language. Some grammar is already straight up copied. Also found this thing about how the language changed since the year 500. The 1500 thing is barely readable but the 1000 and 500 sentences are gibberish to me.

A: Ik hep hier donderdag vaif pont zeuter appele gekocht. Die waren rot.
B: Da kan gebeuren. In haar plaats zeldie een putteken met versjen heuneg kraigen.

A: Dhonresdagho koopoda ik hiar fief punt sweutero appelo. Dhie waron rotane.
B: Soo mach gheskian. Ana dhero stedi skulut ghie hebban pottakien mith ferskien honigo.

A: Thunres dagoo ik kaupoodei heer fief pundu swootjeeroo apploo. Thee weirun rutanee.
B: Swa mag gaskehana. Anei theeroo stadai skuluth jie habeena puttakiena mith friskoo hunango.
>>
>>136982
Most people outside of Europe are more interested in learning American English.
>>
And the thread fills with more comments from people who don't seem to have read past the title, let alone understood the article.

Is this /pol/ trying to slide stories they don't like?
>>
>>137333
English is not the only white language you trog
>>
>>137175
This is pretty pathetic, but it makes sense. Dutch is so horrible to listen to even the dutch want that language gone.
>>
>>136982
Lol It's my opinion that the EU is losing importance
>>
>>136982
The worlds greatest GDP still speaks english, so good luck trying to shun Britain when they are closer to the nation with literally twice the power the EU will ever have now.
>>
>>137362
Why is it pathetic? It's not like there was unity before.
A few provinces even have their own dialect that are recognized as a separate language. For a country that small that's dumb and it causes problems all the time.
People from Holland can't have trouble understanding people from Limburg, nobody knows what Frisians are saying, and so on.
>>
>>136982
Not that English is losing importance but other languages can be learned quickly with modern technologies, thus reducing the need to communicate only in English. You can quickly learn some Italian or Spanish a few weeks before going on a trip to these countries and poof, no need to struggle with the locals anymore.

Too bad it is seen as a decline of a nation rather than a progress of culture. And France is going to fuck your babushkas tenderly so you better learn to say merci.
>>
>>136982
No, it's not. English is the language of commerce and the internet. Juncker is just butthurt over Brexit and he's crying like a baby.
>>
>>137323
Disgusting babytalk language

It's like a pretentious version of spanish. Ugh.
>>
>>137158
this
>>
>>136982
What a fucking joke, nobody speaks french
>>
>>136982
> ā€¯English is losing importance in Europe".

LOL, English is the defacto global language regardless of how the French fell about it, it is the language of science, business and media even in France.

You Frenchmen should have supported and expanded your overseas empire back in the day like the British did, then everybody today would be speaking French instead of English.
>>
>>138081
sup
>>
>>137187
>not going to happen. english is the language of business. it's the most common language used.... in europe.
Latin and then french were once the most used languages in europe,and then they weren't. there's no reason why english can't lose that status as well
>>
>>138084
There is no logical reason to think englidh is not the lamguahe of the future

Even if the commies or Muslims win, they'll prpbably speak english.

America kicks ass, cry me a river.
>>
>>138089
America will talk Spanish, though.
>>
>Speak two language
>Decide to use another one than usual for a conference, since everything's translated anyway
>Americans are pissed to be remembered other language than their exist.

So much salt ITT
>>
>>138104
The peasant class may speak spanish. Everyone with a job: English.
>>
>>138084
>Latin and then french were once the most used languages in europe,and then they weren't. there's no reason why english can't lose that status as well

Was Asia, Australia, and both North and South America trading with Europe using Latin and French?

Get the fuck out of your Eurocentric bubble. The only way English can lose importance in Europe is if Europe loses importance in international trading.
>>
You'll all only ever speak English, because English evolves. Get over it, whiney cunts.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.