[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New USDA secretary announces rollback of Obama-era nutrition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 0

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-school-lunches-20170501-story.html

>Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said Monday that he would roll back part of former First Lady Michelle Obama’s healthy eating initiative: stricter nutritional standards for school lunches.

>Perdue, who became head of the agency last week, announced he would be relaxing guidelines and providing greater flexibility in nutrition requirements for schools’ meal programs.

>“This announcement is the result of years of feedback from students, schools and food service experts about the challenges they are facing in meeting the final regulations for school meals,” Perdue said during a visit to Catoctin Elementary School in Leesburg, Va.

>“If kids aren’t eating the food, and it’s ending up in the trash, they aren’t getting any nutrition — thus undermining the intent of the program,” said Perdue, who was accompanied by Sen. Pat Roberts (R-Kan.) and Patricia Montague of the School Nutrition Assn.

>Under the changes to the federal nutrition standards, schools won’t have to cut salt in meals, states will be able to allow some schools to serve fewer whole grains, and schools will be allowed to serve 1% milk rather than only nonfat milk.

>Advocates for change on school lunch nutrition have said it’s difficult to meet rules set under the Obama administration.

>“We have been wanting flexibility so that schools can serve meals that are both nutritious and palatable,” Montague said during Monday’s announcement. “We don’t want kids wasting their meals by throwing them away. Some of our schools are actually using that food waste as compost. That shouldn’t be happening.”
>>
>The Obama administration placed standards on school lunch nutrition in 2010 when it passed the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act. During that time, Michelle Obama was seen by many as a leading advocate in the fight against childhood obesity. She started the Let’s Move! campaign, which sought to encourage children to take part in more physical activity and help provide healthier food options in schools in under-served communities.

>The percentage of U.S. children with obesity has more than tripled since the 1970s, causing long-term physical and emotional distress for children, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

>Children with obesity are at higher risk for having asthma and Type 2 diabetes. Many are bullied and, as a result, are likely to suffer from depression and self-esteem issues.

>In 2014, the standards were met with challenges in Congress led by the School Nutrition Assn., which has called the regulations too rigid, and House Republicans who supported the powerful lobbying group’s efforts.

>But according to the Department of Agriculture, 97% of schools across the country are implementing the school nutrition standards set by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act.

>The changes announced Monday are seen by some as undermining a bipartisan breakthrough.

>“Michelle Obama started a conversation with every mom and dad in America on what they were feeding their kids in a way that didn’t cast judgment,” said Scott Faber, senior vice president from the Environmental Working Group, which specializes in research and advocacy.

>“Nothing will change that legacy, but unfortunately today’s actions will delay and undermine Obama’s food policy legacy,” he said.

>Politicians and public health advocates have also criticized the rollbacks.
>>
>Reps. Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.) and Jim McGovern (D-Mass.) condemned the Trump administration’s change to nutrition standards for school meals across the country.

>“Just days into his new job as Secretary of USDA, Secretary Perdue has decided to put special interests ahead of the health of America’s children,” DeLauro said in a statement.

>“The USDA and President Trump have now decided to roll back much of the progress we have made in the fight against rates of childhood obesity and malnutrition,” DeLauro said. “This interim final rule by the USDA is a slippery slope that will completely undermine school breakfast and lunch programs and the USDA should immediately reverse course.”

>McGovern said the country should build on the progress made rather than “turn our backs” on youths who rely on the meals.

>“This isn’t about flexibility; it’s about making kids less healthy,” McGovern said. “Just because President Trump thinks fast food is a balanced meal doesn’t mean we should lower our standards for our kids.”

>The Alliance for a Healthier Generation has worked with more than 35,000 schools to reduce the prevalence of childhood obesity.

>“We would not lower standards for reading, writing and arithmetic just because students found them challenging subjects and we should not do it for school nutrition either,” Howell Wechsler, the organization’s chief executive, said in a statement.
>>
The old meals wouldn't be so bad if they actually allowed recess time for kids.

I think it's down to like 10 minutes now?
>>
Seriously just put school lunches up for auction and let McDonald's handle the nutrition.
>>
Schools can't serve whole milk in their lunches?
>>
>>136267
>implying such things aren't different from county to county

>>136273
>Schools can't serve whole milk in their lunches?
Whole milk is a nutritional disaster, propped up by pop-culture, tradition and the dairy industry.
>>
>muh emails
>>
>Whole milk is a nutritional disaster
I don't believe this without proof.
>>
>>136286
>Whole milk is a nutritional disaster, propped up by pop-culture, tradition and the dairy industry.
Fucking what?
How paranoid are you?
>>
>“If kids aren’t eating the food, and it’s ending up in the trash, they aren’t getting any nutrition — thus undermining the intent of the program,” said Perdue, who was accompanied by Sen. Pat Roberts (R-Kan.) and Patricia Montague of the School Nutrition Assn.

Yeah because it's a well-known fact that kids know what's best for them... Setting a really good exemple right there. How fucking stupid can that country get? lmao
>>
>>136293
>Fucking what?
It's got really high calorie density.
Pepsi or Heineken is 150 calories for a twelve ounce can.
Whole milk is about 225 calories for the same amount of liquid.
>>
>>136315
Oh, plus it's racist.
Not (exactly) trolling...
People with ancestors from northern Europe are less prone to be lactose intolerant.
Weened mammals (including most humans) can't digest the lactose and their gut flora goes nuts, leading to excess gas and discomfort...
>>
>>136309
I was in high school in the US with these regulations in effect. The rubber-flavored green beans and flavorless, cold corn kernels alongside a pizza with the consistency of cardboard and re-heated cheese weren't exactly appetizing. You bet your ass all of that was going in the trash if I could survive without it. The only respite from it all was the chocolate milk, of which they only let you have one. You either brought food from home or you'd learn to like eating whatever gag-inducing slop they decided was "healthy food" that day.
>>
>tfw yiu have fond memories of eating free meals in HS

Wait they fucking with the free-free?
>>
>>136327
>Free meals in HS
When were you in high school? I've never seen such a thing. The fact that they make you pay for the "food" they have now is kinda infuriating if they gave better food out for free before.
>>
Did Trump really just hire a dude from the Perdue family to run food guidelines?
>>
>>136318
I don't know what to tell you but the quality of school food has always and will always be shit. Regulations didn't change that.
>>
>>136315
Lol whole milk isn't the root of the problem

It's sedintary lifestyles and massive sized portions
>>
>>136346
3 ish years ago

I think it was if you qualified for a full fare metro than you also got free Lunch NY btw

Otherwise shit was like 1.50 servers were real generous with the food as well tho
>>
>>136347
Probably nobody else here knows what that is but yes, he did. Further, if you told them what Perdue was and told about their employment practices, some of them would actually try to defend it.
>>
>>136357
Or about the fact that the Purdue factory in Maryland has been polluting the Chesapeake and getting away with it forever. I'm beyond disgusted, those scum are the reason blue crabs have been doing so badly in the last decade+
>>
>>136315
Is this a troll? You don't determine whether something is nutritious based on total caloric value, you look at the macro and micro nutrient profile. On a per-calorie basis, milk is rich in many essential vitamins and minerals and is a good source of protein.
>>
>>136348
I don't know what you're smoking but pre-2010 school pizzas in my school district growing up were the shit. And we had tritip sandwiches made of actual meat.
>>
>>136375

Yes. Milk is pretty much nutritionally complete, with fats, protein, carbs, vitamins and minerals. It is also filling because it curdles in your stomach so you will end up eating less overall. I can down a 16oz cola easily but am pretty sated after an 8oz serving of whole milk.

Skim milk is a real scam though. They take the fat out to make value added products (butter, supplement yogurt, half/half, double creme etc) and sell you what is basically just enriched whey.
>>
>>136315
>he thinks calories are bad for you
Have you tried not being an idiot?
>>
https://zembla.vara.nl/dossier/uitzending/trump-business-partner-accused-of-involvement-in-dutch-based-money-laundering-scheme
>>
>>136318
Make lunch at home
>>
>>136264

Scummy people doing scummy things.

Surprise surprise.
>>
>>136286
>implying such things aren't different from county to county

What?
>>
>>136346
It's income-based. Poor kids get free lunch. Sometimes free breakfast too. At least in my district
>>
>>136376
>Wahhhh I want to eat pizza every day so I can be a fat fuck just like my parents!
You're pathetic. Kids should not be in charge of their nutrition and if your parents are fat they shouldn't be either. Kids like you need to learn that food is for nutrition, just because pizza tastes better than green beans doesn't mean you eat pizza
>>
>>136448
But muh private sector is barely getting by without the ability to sell McDonald's to grade schoolers. Cut the regulation and save the business! What is so important about children that they n Ed to be protected from these foods anyway? They can make an informed decision as a consumer.
>>
>>136447
>poor kids getting a free lunch
A lot of /pol/ would prefer they starve so that the rich can have a tax cut
>>
>>136457
Project any harder toy can show slides. /pol/ doesn't care about the tax cuts if there are poor to starve.
>>
>>136459
>toy can show slides
>>
>>136454
>>136457
>>136459
S
T
R
A
W
M
A
N
>>
>>136315
Whole Milk has carbohydrates, protein, salts, fat and vitamins.
Pepsi has... uh wait for it, simple carbs and sodium only.
>muh empty calories are better
>>
>>136448
You dense mother fucker. This isnt about wanting fast food in schools or some stupid shit. This is about the undeniable fact that if the food isnt at least a certain amount palatable then kids are just not going to eat it. It happened when the food was bad before and it happens when the foods bad now.
>>
>>136315
I'm starting to think you're dumbass for comparing Milk and Soda
>>
>>136488
Damn kids and their tendies
>>
>>136488
>This isnt about wanting fast food in schools
It exactly is.
>>136488
>if the food isnt at least a certain amount palatable then kids are just not going to eat it.
That's why you teach them to get a fucking adult palate instead of growing up to be a manchild.
And since when do America care about wasting food, are you already planning for African-like famine under Trump administration?

>inb4 but I ate fastfood all my life and I'm not dead, I'm proof fastfood isn't dangerous.
>>
You're a moron
>>
>>136264
>Advocates for change on school lunch nutrition have said it’s difficult to meet rules set under the Obama administration.
Food should not be a waste, and if kids waste their food, it cost money and kids dont take food seriously.
Instead, what americans need to know is your own diet, the killer fast food diets. Just think for a minute, how many time you have been to a fast food place, in a week? i have not been there in months. know the difference.
>>
>>136315
Calorie counting does not work like people think it does. In-taking less calories will make your body store what nutrients it does have as fat to burn for energy instead of those good calories. lol Everyone who thinks calories are bad are batshit crazy
>>
>>136317
how the fuck is milk, something from an animal with no racial knowledge, racist?
>>
>>136447
not anymore
>>
>>136672
Because only half of blacks can drink milk while (almost) all whites can, it's a white "privilege" to be able to drink milk.
Then Anon confused racism and privilege, forgetting that the privilege the SJW talk about is due to a societal racism, but when it is consequence of genetics, it's to be accepted as a fact of life (like the fact that blacks have dark skin).
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 0

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.