[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oxford University Sorry for Eye Contact Racism Claim

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

Oxford University sorry for eye contact racism claim - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-39742670

Oxford University has apologised for saying that avoiding eye contact could be "everyday racism" after it was accused of discriminating against autistic people.

The claim was included in a list of "racial micro-aggressions" in an equality and diversity unit newsletter.

But the university was criticised for being "insensitive" to autistic people who can struggle making eye contact.

It said it had made a mistake and not taken disabilities into account.

The university originally said "racial micro-aggressions" might include: "Not making eye contact or speaking directly to people."
It described the behaviours as "subtle, everyday racism" which can be alienating.

'Discrimination'
But Twitter users criticised the newsletter and academics argued the guidance was "trivialising racism".
David M. Davis tweeted: "This is just discrimination against autistic people. One sign of autism is avoiding eye contact. How dare Oxford be so insensitive."

In a series of tweets, the university replied: "We made a mistake. Our newsletter was too brief to deal adequately and sensibly with the issue.

"We are sorry that we took no account of other reasons for difference in eye contact and social interaction, including disability.

"Oxford deeply values and works hard to support students and staff with disabilities, including those with autism or social anxiety disorder."

Emeritus professor of sociology at the University of Kent, Prof Frank Furedi, said the newsletter's authors "need a reality check".

I can't tell if they were trolled or if this was for real?
>>
>>135616
Full circle stupidity
>>
SJW eating their own like the rabid dogs they are, beautiful.
>>
Speaking is racist against those with speaking disabilities. Shame of Oxford university
>>
>The claim was included in a list of "racial micro-aggressions" in an equality and diversity unit newsletter.

Who wrote the newsletter? What department were they from? What a shitty partisan article.
>>
>>135664
Not sure where you're going with this. It's seemingly obvious that someone could present you with innumerable facts and you'd attempt to discredit each one
>>
not sure why this is news.
they're having a basic discussion about showing respect and talking about it in a university newsletter. someone was trying to make a point about racism and it got drawn into a separate social issue. this is the world we live in, at least be decent and try to find a constructive solution instead of criticizing.
I get the feeling that this kind of article only gets posted here to stir shit.
>>
>>135693
It isn't news, it's /pol/bait. The purpose of the story is to outrage, not to inform.
>>
>>135672
What facts are you talking about? I was complaining about the lack of facts in the article.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.