[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

State Department Posts on Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Raise Ethics Concern

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 0

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/state-department-posts-trump-s-mar-lago-raises-ethics-concern-n750406?cid=public-rss_20170425

>A glowing description of President Donald Trump's Florida estate, Mar-a-Lago — calling it the "winter White House" — was posted on State Department websites, bringing criticism from ethics watchdogs and Democrats.

>The item, published ahead of an early April meeting with China's president at the Palm Beach club, recounted the club's history and Trump's purchase and gilded redecoration of the property where he's spent half his weekends since taking office.

>Under the heading "A Dream Deferred" — drawing on a famous line from the Langston Hughes poem "Harlem" — it said the original socialite owner wanted Mar-a-Lago to be a retreat for American presidents but notes it didn't happen until Trump won the election.

>The text appeared on the website for Share America, a State Department platform intended to "spark discussion and debate on important topics;" the website for the U.S. Embassy in the United Kingdom and the Facebook page for the U.S. Embassy in Albania.

>The State Department initially declined to comment on the posts, but later unpublished them and said, "The intention of the article was to inform the public about where the President has been hosting world leaders. We regret any misperception and have removed the post."

>Three ethics watchdogs who reviewed the posts before they were taken down told NBC News they are troubling.

>"They represent violations of a federal ethics regulation which prohibits the use of public office to endorse a product or enterprise," said Kathleen Clark, a professor at Washington University Law.

>"Calling it the 'winter White House' appears to suggest that Mar-a-Lago has an official governmental role, which would appear to provide a governmental endorsement."

>Jordan Libowitz of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington said the post "reads almost like an ad for Mar-a-Lago."
>>
>>135006
Stupid non story
>>
>>135007
>Ethics violation
>Non-story
You got a strange definition of non-story in your head there.
>>
>>135008
Give me your definition of ethics, then explain how it's an ethics violation in your opinion
>>
>>135012
It's a violation because he's blatantly profiting from this. But let's just stop here, I get it. Trump could fuck everyone you love and you'd be like MAGA.
>>
>>135012
The US government has no place in plugging private resorts.

That goes double when the president owns said resort and profits directly from every new membership. But you already knew all this and you're just a disingenuous shitbag, so who cares
>>
>>135012
It's the same issue discussed in the past.

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/does-the-constitution-put-limits-on-a-presidents-private-business-ties
>>
>>135006
>Under the heading "A Dream Deferred" — drawing on a famous line from the Langston Hughes poem "Harlem"
Wow
>>
>>135006
It would be real nice if president asshat would at least attempt to be dignified.
>>
>>135155
How is he profiting from this? I assume you have some sort of profit margin, or his net gains? Seems like you are searching / assuming something against someone you may have political leanings against.
>>
>>135193
He literally owns the place, as such all the membership fees eventually funnel back to him.
>>
>>135193
Yeah I'm sure it's just a coincidence they doubled initiation fees :v)
>>
>>135205
I agree about the advertisement as the winter white house. I'm glad they removed it. Raising the membership price isn't a big deal really. Sounds like everything worked out in the end.
>>
>>135290
Never had a problem with the fees, just the blatant advertising.
>>
>>135193
>How is profiting from free advertising?

You might want to keep going with that strawman about what ethics really implies, at least then you'll distract from how dumb that post was.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 0

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.