[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hacker sets off 156 emergency warning sirens in Dallas early

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 00xp-dallashack-master768[1].jpg (134KB, 768x519px) Image search: [Google]
00xp-dallashack-master768[1].jpg
134KB, 768x519px
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas/2017/04/08/emergency-sirens-blare-across-dallas-county-despite-clear-weather

w/video
http://kxan.com/2017/04/08/sirens-mysteriously-going-off-throughout-dallas-no-storms-in-area/

>Reports are pouring in of tornado sirens sounding throughout the Dallas area, including downtown. That’s despite there being no storms in the area.

>A city spokesperson says the sirens are going off due to a system malfunction and emergency crews are working to fix the problem. The city’s Office of Emergency Management says there is no emergency and they are asking people not to call 911. The surge in 911 calls has caused a wait time up to 2 minutes.

>The city says fire crews are manually shutting down the sirens and a complete shutdown could take up to three hours. The city says they’re trying to determine what caused the malfunction.
>>
>>130703
I got an idea, guys. What if--hear me out, now--what if lol we lol what if we connect all our devices to the internet lol

it'll be so convenient lol
>>
Truly, this must be the biggest hack in the history.
>>
>>130707
I can't wait for someone to hack all the smart refrigerators and just turn them all off.
>>
>>130707
DELET
>>
>>130751
Why the fuck do those even exist? For what purpose would you need to remotely access your refrigerator?

Even Americans can't be so obsessed with food they need to remotely view what is currently in their fridge at home, right?
>>
>>130751
>>130914
If you think that's bad, then consider the potential of wifi "smart ovens."
inb4 gb2pol

geappliances com/ge/connected-appliances/ranges-ovens-cooking htm
features:
>Preheat your oven from the grocery store by turning it on from the app.
>Set timer alerts for when you are baking or roasting.
and the money
>Change the oven's temperature from anywhere.
>>
>>130707
they were not hooked up to a computer system at all and are completely off the grid. The alarms are activated by coded radio signals and someone would have to know the exact frequencies and codes to transmit to activate them. (and the codes I imagine are changed periodically which indicates an inside job- so it may not have been a hack but a leak).

They don't rely on computers because these alarms are designed to work when the power goes out and lines are being cut by whatever disaster is occurring.

I wonder if this was a distraction for another crime like some big heist, but unfortunately I doubt it. Nothing cool ever happens.
>>
>>131219
it would be really easy to have some failsafe non-computer monitor that would cut power if the oven went over 500 degrees or something. The question is, do manufacturers build in that shit...
>>
>>130703
I don't know about you but that's fucking hilarious!
>>
>>131227
The system doesn't rely on computers because it was designed and built in 1960.
>>
A lot of times, it's radio controlled. Often times, during testing, you'll see the trigger signal in a waterfall display of the spectrum. Many times, it's DTMF, or phone tones. It's easy to duplicate those. Hell, technically, if you have the information, you can trigger then with a $25 Baofeng.
>>
>>130914
Ever heard of the "Internet of Things"?
>>
>>130703
"I didn't hear any sirens" - Debidaly
>>
>>131239
You are a liar and a catamite.

I can get a Baofeng for $15.
>>
>>130703
there were eye witness reports of UFOs flying over Dallas during these sirens... obviously unlikely, but we should not rule out that these sirens were triggered by something greater than man.
>>
>>131365
Sauce
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.