[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game Over -Video games are officially defined as mental Disorder.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: homeless computer guy.0.jpg (43KB, 480x294px) Image search: [Google]
homeless computer guy.0.jpg
43KB, 480x294px
>“Gaming Disorder” a “persistent or recurrent gaming behavior characterized by an impaired control over gaming, increasing priority given to gaming over other activities to the extent that gaming takes precedence over other interests and daily activities and continuation of gaming despite the occurrence of negative consequences.”
>The classification could have negative effects across the world. Imagine if having Angry Birds installed on your smartphone was enough of an excuse to mandate attendance at a “treatment camp”

>specifically noting “enormous pressure, especially from Asian countries” and “strong request from [WHO] stakeholders” to include this definition of Gaming Disorder.
>The concern lies in the history of using classifications of mental illness as a weapon against groups and individuals by countries’ governments. Over 6,000 people in China — most of them teenagers — have been treated with actual electroshock therapy just because they were thought to have used the Internet too much.

> consider our own messy history of psychiatric abuse. In 2010, a police officer was involuntarily committed to a psychiatric ward for attempting to reveal what he said was the truth about falsified crime rate statistics. Our foster care system stuffs victimized children full of psychotropic drugs in a thinly veiled attempted to make them easier to handle. Schizophrenia was allegedly used to deliberately hamper the rise of civil rights. Barry Goldwater was publicly crucified for his conservative views by a team of psychiatrists who disagreed with him politically; the Goldwater Rule still exists because attacking someone’s mental fitness is such a potent weapon.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/03/31/who-seeks-to-classify-gaming-disorder-as-a-mental-illness-claims-enormous-stakeholder-pressure/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=daily&utm_content=links&utm_campaign=20170331
>>
>>127258
Unfortunately, most of the people who would be most affected by the classification, won't be assed to do anything about it until it's too late.
>>
>>127261
>>127258
By the way, misleading subject:
Caveats
ICD-11 Beta draft is:
NOT FINAL
updated on a daily basis
It is not approved by WHO
NOT TO BE USED for CODING except for agreed FIELD TRIALS
>>
Have a better article;
http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2017/03/economist-explains-24
>>
>>127258
What has Halo 2 done to me
>>
>breitbart
lol
>>
>>127425
Oh thank god. OP is a horrible faggot and I hope his keyboard stops working.
>>
>>127480

Don't you miss the quad shot and bxr?
>>
breitbart aside, i can see why they're pursuing field trials of this. I was never a heavy gamer but everybody knows video games are an escapist's paradise. on one hand, i think everybody needs an escape from life now and again, but I think everybody these days knows someone who has a bit of a gaming problem. for fucks sake, is 3,000 hours in WoW or DOTA or Overwatch or TF2 or meinkraft or whatever healthy, normal behavior?
>>
>>127515
>>127515
>is 3,000 hours in WoW or DOTA or Overwatch or TF2 or meinkraft or whatever healthy, normal behavior?
Is 3,000 hours building model planes healthy, normal behaviour?

I don't think that there is anything particularly problematic with video games. They are just the obsessive hobby of the decade. Any hobby can be taken to an extreme and suffocate someone's life. We should focus less on if video games and focus more on why there are so many NEETs who throw away their lives.
>>
>>127515
>but I think everybody these days knows someone who has a bit of a gaming problem
I suspect social media usage, which is paradoxically asocial but normalized, is at least as large a problem, but doesn't seem to get as much focus.
>>
>>127480
Halo is ok. Western videogames don't have the effect of crack as asian videogames have.
>>
>>127570
>pls call me a weeb i swaer I'm a social outcast
>>
>>127570
kys
>>
Well its talking about people who don't do fuck all but vidya. I really enjoy games but I still do all the house work and work in general. Its something in the down time.
But for people who haven't worked in years and spend every moment gamig gaming yeah, they have a legitimate problem.
>>
>>127521
I agree with this guy, the problem is not so much video games but a mix of antisocial behaviour and obsessive compulsive personality. You could classify people who work 50+ hours a week as having the same kind of mental disorder if you apply the same logic.
Its fine if you want that but I'd bet anything if we "treated" these people to fix their problems our society would go down the shitter so fast you wouldn't believe it. This kind of obsessive behaviour is what sent men to the moon and permits us retards to use the internet.
Sure, it's unhealthy for the people doing it, but everyone around gets to enjoy the fruit of their labour for a fair cost (most of the time)
>>
wow, im as left as they come and this is the first brietbart posting i agree with.

all gamers should be rounded up and sent to the gulag.
>>
>>127665
They're asocial because they're The Beautiful Ones.
>>
>icd-11
Even if this was full Jack Thompson, icd-11 won't get fully adopted in your life time. Icd-10 was such a disaster, some hospitals take fines over spending the money to comply.
>>
>>127258
Well same goes for watching TV. It doesn't give you anything new(depends on what you watch, but most people watch shit) and it's highly addictive. If they want to classify it as a mental disorder then they need to do other tests before that. Being obsessed with game or gaming in general can be effect of a depression or other social disorders. Well it can be a bit weird in general, because a lot of people who like to relax with some gaming do it regularly, even after certain age. Some folks are disturbed by idea of "man-children" playing a game in free time, but games now or in few years can give you a experience of a good move/book or even better due to possibility to interact with the world.
>>
>>127668
People aren't mice anon, this is a false equivalency.
>>
>>127656
>Well its talking about people who don't do fuck all but vidya.
Pretty much all of r9k. I used to try to tell them that the things they think they enjoy are the actual source of their misery but they're too addicted to listen
>>
>>128012
While it might be a false analogy and a bit hyperbolic, it's not a false equivalence. No literal equivalence was intended. Just being pessemistic, anon.

I'm not convinced it's a false analogy, however; there are many similarities between the relevant behaviors, environmental conditions, and outcomes of both the mice, and the sheltered, celibate geek, free from conflict or want of basic necessity. Maybe those things are satisfied in their obsessive hobby?
>>
>>127258
so we get neetbucks since we have an illness?
>>
>>128020
You are entitled to nothing
T. Trump.
>>
trans generations
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.