[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Embattled Oculus co-founder Palmer Luckey leaves Facebook

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 49266937.cached[1].jpg (65KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
49266937.cached[1].jpg
65KB, 800x500px
https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/30/palmer-luckey-facebook/
>Luckey’s departure follows a lengthy period of absence from public view brought about by a Daily Beast piece revealing his involvement and funding of a pro-Trump troll group called Nimble America. News of his support came during a time when very few figures in Silicon Valley were publicly showing support for candidate Trump, the most notable being Peter Thiel, an early investor in Facebook who started the VC firm Founders Fund, which backed Oculus, as well.

>Though Luckey initially denied funding the group, he ultimately took to social media to apologize in the midst of an upheaval that had many developers threatening to leave the platform. His last public statement (on Facebook, of course) was a mixture of regret and defense, reading, in part, “I am deeply sorry that my actions are negatively impacting the perception of Oculus and its partners. The recent news stories about me do not accurately represent my views… my actions were my own and do not represent Oculus. I’m sorry for the impact my actions are having on the community.”

>Facebook is generally a well-oiled machine when it comes to public relations — CEO Mark Zuckerberg has a large personal team devoted simply to ensuring he maintains a positive public image — so it really wasn’t all that surprising that the company sought to minimize Luckey’s public exposure. Nevertheless, many were surprised when Luckey did not appear at the Oculus Developer Conference this past fall.

>In January, Luckey appeared in public to testify as part of an IP lawsuit being brought against him and other co-founders at Oculus VR by ZeniMax Media. Facebook was ordered to pay $500 million in damages to the company, with $50 million being paid by Luckey himself, who was found to have violated his NDA with ZeniMax Media.
previously:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/09/22/palmer-luckey-the-facebook-billionaire-secretly-funding-trump-s-meme-machine.html
>>
>>127079
Political correctness taken to the extreme. This was LITERALLY the man who jump-started VR again with innovative approach to the field. An approach that 'so called' experts with fancy degrees could achieve. He doesn't need Facebook. Facebook needs him.
>>
>>127207
>Political correctness taken to the extreme
so what.
people didn't like the idea that their candidate might be jailed for opposing trump in an election, and so dissociated with him.
>>
>>127207
>This was LITERALLY the man who jump-started VR again with innovative approach to
Actually that's what the lawsuit mentioned in the article was about. He and facebook wouldn't have had to pay if they had actually invented what they claimed to have invented.
>>
>>127228
No person is above the law
>>
>>127229
This. I got into the oculus during a kickstarter but had friends who were following it long before that. I have a hard time believing that facebook had to buy something that grew on kickstarter and then start redesigning it if they owned it all along.
>>
Can we finally admit VR is dead now, or are stupid companies going to keep tossing money down the hole because they're too far in?
>>
>>130505
It's just another iPhone/Android app that requires separately bought accessories at this point. The phone makers see dollar signs in their eyes when they talk about it.
>>
>>127228
Political correctness is a mild form of thought control. It's kinda fucked up.
>>
>>130505
VR will never truly be dead simply because of its educational and training applications. In terms of the consumer market the tech isn't there yet but eventually it will be.
>>
>>130505
No, because its too appealing of an idea to abandon completely. Being transported into a believable virtual space unconstrained by reality will remain something people want. Once VR devices pass a certain accessibility/quality threshold the mass market will buy it. The vive, occulus, and sony VR have not yet reached that threshold, and remain hobbyist devices but they have made progress. Little more than a decade ago something of lesser quality than the occulous could only reasonably be afforded by businesses, and organizations.
>>
>>130505

Yes, because V R is for faggots that can't make friends
Literally all you have you do is smoke cigarettes and you'll meet some of the coolest people ever.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.