[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

House of Commons passes anti-Islamophobia motion M-103

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 14532642-e1490303440392.jpg (28KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
14532642-e1490303440392.jpg
28KB, 720x480px
http://globalnews.ca/news/3330776/anti-islamophobia-motion-m-103-approved/

OTTAWA – The House of Commons has passed a Liberal backbencher’s motion calling on federal politicians to condemn Islamophobia.

The motion, known as M-103, became a matter of acrimonious debate, with opponents painting it as a slippery slope towards limiting freedom of speech and even bringing in Sharia law.
OTTAWA – The House of Commons has passed a Liberal backbencher’s motion calling on federal politicians to condemn Islamophobia.

The motion, known as M-103, became a matter of acrimonious debate, with opponents painting it as a slippery slope towards limiting freedom of speech and even bringing in Sharia law.

Liberal MP Iqra Khalid, who sponsored the motion, was applauded loudly by her Liberal fellows as she stood to vote.

The issue even became a bone of contention among Conservative leadership hopefuls.
>>
Canada’s parliament has approved M-103, a non-biding motion that calls on the government to “condemn Islamophobia and all forms of systemic racism and religious discrimination,” by a margin of 201-91.

The contentious motion, which sparked nationwide demonstrations and protests by both supporters and opponents in early March, also calls on the government to take steps to “quell the increasing public climate of hate and fear.”
>>
Wow hey, another reason to hate the current government. I'm sure this will do fuck all but make trouble
>>
Isn't islamophobia, racism and religious discrimination already condemned?
>>
So are we not aloud to critizis islam now?
>>
I guess they'll have to change their national anthem.
>>
What are the specifics of the law

Where do they draw the line in legal terms between what delineates rational vs irrational fear of Islam
>>
>>124655
That's not what condemn means.
>>
>>124692

They make no legal distinction between criticism of Islam and it's philosophy and discrimination against muslims, bu instead puts it under the nebulous term "islamophobia".

Saying the Qu'Ran has violent passages that encourage people to kill in the name of Allah is a valid criticism. Emphasizing criticism of the philosophy could be construed as encouraging hatred of and discriminating against it's adherents and thus Islamophobia which was the real issue with the proposed law.

It's since been watered down >>124653
>>
>>124668
>THE TRUE NORTH STRONG AND FREE*
>*so long as muslims are shielded from criticism

Whatever, Canada is a shitty country anyways that governs based on feelings instead of running a country.
>>
>>124759
All good governments make decisions based on feelings. Human beings are emotional creatures; trying to govern them without acknowledging their feelings would be like trying to drive a car while pretending the steering wheel doesn't exist.
>>
Has anyone got the actual text for M-103? I want to see what the paper defines islamaphobia to be exactly because I'm finding nothing other than "Combating islamaphobia as well as all racial and religious discrimination".

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Canada already have those sorts of anti-discrimination laws in the first place? M-103 is going to end either doing JACK SHIT about islamaphobia or it's going to instill some whack job blasphemy law or something.
>>
>>124708
What don't I understand? Canada already has hate speech laws.
>>
Will this stop another Mosque getting shot up?
>>
>>125003
>Mosque getting shot up?
It'll probably increase the chances.
>>
>>124692
>What are the specifics of the law
Its literally not even a law. Its basically just a bunch of politicians getting together and saying "Islamaphobia is bad, mmkay?"
But of course people have to make a mountain out of a molehill in order to generate outrage, gotta keep the trumplrinas angry and distracted
>>
>>124991
This is not a new law. It's just a motion to have parliament issue a condemnation of islamophobia. It really shouldn't have been such a big deal.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.