[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trump's budget guts NYPD counter-terrorism funding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 1

File: capture.jpg (60KB, 524x470px) Image search: [Google]
capture.jpg
60KB, 524x470px
The NYPD said Thursday that President Donald Trump’s enormous slate of proposed budget cuts would take away “critical” funding the department uses to fight terrorism in New York.

>The cuts could impact everything from active-shooter training to intelligence analysis to bomb squad equipment, police said at a briefing with New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio on Thursday.
“Under the president’s proposal, nearly all federal funding to the NYPD would be eradicated,” James P. O’Neill, the New York City police commissioner, said during the briefing. “This funding is absolutely critical. It is the backbone of our entire counter-terrorism apparatus.”

>As the nation’s largest city, New York has long been a target for terror attacks. Law enforcement officers have also had to work to protect First Lady Melania Trump and her son Barron, who still live at Trump Tower in Manhattan.

>The Trump administration has defended its budget cuts as getting rid of unnecessary programs to accomplish his campaign promises. But O’Neill says the proposed changes would make the president’s home town less safe.

>“It is the cornerstone of effective preparedness and prevention against terrorist threats, and enables us to do all we can do to keep this city secure,” O’Neill said. “Everyone who lives in, works in, and visits New York City — this money’s critical to keeping everybody safe.”
O'Neill said the proposed federal budget would cost the NYPD about $110 million, which it receives annually through the Homeland Security Grant Program, according to the Washington Post.

>He added that New York City continues to be a top terror target, and said: “Simply put, we cannot afford to cut corners in fighting terrorism.”

http://time.com/4704617/nypd-donald-trump-budget-terrorism/
>>
surely our president isn't hoping for terrorist attacks

surely
>>
I'm surprised the NYPD got $110m to fight terrorism, yearly.
>>
Just tell the counter terrorists to go eco for awhile, duh!
>>
>>124074
Why doesnt the state pay for it?
>>
how many terrorists does NYC catch a year?
and I don't mean the ones they make

99% of the ones the FBI catches are ones they con into it
>>
>>124084
I can appreciate that if only because I don't know the details behind this particular decision or how many potential terrorists they help stop.
It just seems bizarre that a budget that preferences the military and national security to the disadvantage of literally everything else would gut the NYPD's counter-terrorism arm, even while DHS's budget is boosted by 3B US$.
>>
>>124086
they probably got audited
How much money do you need when you already have all the equipment

There was a lot of kickbacks and budget inflation tied to post 911 counter terrorism

Remember the 3d body scanners debacle

It's all security theatre
>>
Sanctuary cities blown the heck out.
>>
>>124082
this. fuck them.
>>
i'm actually not against budget cuts to nyc. but in response to >>124082, you obviously have never lived in new york state, haha. all the money in the state gets eaten up by greasy politicians, it's actually the #1 most corrupt state in the union. everyone has their dicks in the kettle, and every time money passes through, some of it sticks to everybody's hands. it's the reason why you need to pay so much money at the DMV every time you renew your car registration. it's the reason why you have to pay for a title change. it's the reason why the income taxes are so high, and the sales taxes, and the property taxes - even the fucking school taxes are outrageous. it's a disgrace, really, but NY has always been this bad.
>>
I will be the first to say it. Baiting for another 9/11 to galvanize americans and put a war under his belt
>>
>>124174
Then cut federal funding and let them actually fix their damn problems themselves then.
>>
>>124076
Makes marginalizing Muslims easier. LOOK EVERYONE, MUSLIMS ARE DANGEROUS.
Let's lock 'em up!
>>
>>124174
>it's actually the #1 most corrupt state in the union
Not disagreeing, but do you have some sources for that?
>>
>>124187
Source: his ass.
>>
>>124174
>>124184
>No sources just anecdotes

Yeah no thats not how real life works
>>
>>124074
Is that image supposed to be for or against funding?
Honestly if your police forces have to be decked out in gear, then you aren't policing right. Thanks to technology, 80% of policing is just getting the right information, and that does not require body armor.
>>
>>124078
fukken kek
>>
>>124174
Which is why everyone is leaving for Florida which is no better but so much less expensive
>>
>>124074

Meh.

The only people he cares about in the city are under the protection of the secret service.
>>
>>124227
It's just a picture of police officers, I don't think it's meant to imply they're the only recipients of federal funding.
Of course law enforcement officers and their gear are essential as the tip of the spear in counter-terrorism.
>>
>>124074
Deport all illegals and muslims, and then ban them from entering, now you don't need an anti-terrorism unit

and then create a homogenous society, and you barely need a police force

see japan and iceland
>>
>>124307
>Deport all illegals and muslims, and then ban them from entering, now you don't need an anti-terrorism unit

what about the right wing terrorist attacks

>and then create a homogenous society, and you barely need a police force
gl with that one.
neither the right nor the left wants that (for different reasons).

>see japan and iceland

also nanny states with strict personal firearm regulations, but OK.
>>
>>124327
Iceland doesn't need those restrictions, though, they're irrelevant relics and a portion of them are inherited from Danish rule. The most recent murder they had were the apes in Greenland waltzing over and killing some chick, which is another point against letting foreign subhumans into your country.
>>
>>124356
what about Canada, eh?
>>
>>124356

I don't disagree that Europe should have implemented stricter vetting, a restricted the rate of migration, more done to facilitate integration of those foreigners that do live in Europe, and more done to remove those that do not have justification for staying in Europe.

But I do disagree that Europe is inherently comparable to the US with respect to what its standards should be for migration and integration.

Firstly, the US already vets migrants across multiple dimensions including need, marketable skill, economic solvency, and criminality. And it already has per country visa quotas.

We can argue about the specific parameters and cutoffs, but the fact is the Americas were never anything other than multi-ethnic. Whites did predominate through reproduction and migration and nobody is faulting modern whites for the past. But it also is untenable that foreigners should be second-class citizens in a country that whites are not native to. Whites are not like Jews; they already have an ancestral continent in which they can maintain their community.

And I understand the value of some degree of cultural homogeneity (including that comes from genetic homogeneity), I also see a clear economic benefit to allowing individuals of demonstrated value (as in, all around integrable into society in addition to providing some skill that will be employable), wherever they are born, to be allowed to integrate into a society.
So for the US, I'm far less inclined as compared with Europe to buy the argument that there exists some ethical or economic grievance behind racial demographics changing over time per se.
>>
>>124084
How many planes have been flying into buildings lately?

Do you think Al-Queda and ISIS are just like "I dunno Ahmed, lets give the American infidels a break, 9/11 was a bit too much ya know?"
>>
>>124082
>Why doesnt the state pay for it?
Over the last 30-40 years, the federal government has raised taxes it collects from people and business in the states, then wants to micro-manage states by only giving the money back if the states comply with federal-based policies.
It all started with the 55mph speed limit.
States were told they'd lose all federal highway funding if they didn't pass a 55 mph speed limit at the state level.
Next came school lunch programs. NO money from Uncle Sam unless they meet federal nutrition standards.
It's gotten to the point where no state can get by without federal funding, and the taxpayers of each state are so heavily burdened with federal taxes many are likely to jump ship, and move to another state if their home state raises taxes enough to gain independence from the federal government.
This is especially problematic in NYC where New Jersey is just across the river.
>>
>>124086
>It just seems bizarre that a budget that preferences the military and national security to the disadvantage of literally everything else would gut the NYPD's counter-terrorism arm, even while DHS's budget is boosted by 3B US$.
>national security
Trump's budget proposal also cuts funds to the Coast Guard, TSA and FEMA, all of which are important to national security.
>>
>>124458
How did people manage pre-reagan when taxes were significantly higher than they are now?
>>
>>124461 #

Exactly.

Gut peventative measures, all funding being diverted to weapons, reactive measures.

He's itching for a reason to declare martial law.
>>
>>124393
sssh. hes too busy hatin to see logic. dumb traah is like that. kukd by their own minds.

switzerland.
>>
>>124508
I wouldn't be surprised if we see another ground war at another bumfuck arab country. ITs true there are many dangers from the middle east but the gutting of New York Terrorist and even the coast guard and working on a metaphorical wall will do more harm than good. As a neutral you can say whatever you want but this is a bad move for trump even if you are a trump fan
>>
>>124176
>this
look at the government's priorities, under Trump. the State department fired all its most senior, experienced diplomats, and replaced them with no one. Tillerson has no deputies or assistants. The budget demolishes funding for the State Department and foreign aid, while proposing a $54B increase to defense.

the paraphrase Mattis," if you aren't going to hire more diplomats, you are going to have to buy me more bullets."

Trump demands that NATO members start paying more for their own defense, ostensibly beefing up their own militaries.

Serious saber rattling over North Korea. Tillerson hints that there could be military action, knowing that KJ Un spergs out anytime anyone so much as glances at N Korea.

I think Trump is trying to start a war so he can be a hero. He can get all the rednecks and chicken shit "defense moms" who voted for Dubya to fall all over him and guarantee himself a reelection. Bannon wants a war against Islam. I wonder if any war, at all, would do
>>
>>124356
right... because white people never kill anyone!
>>
>>124508
>He's itching for a reason to declare martial law.
LOL for what? You sound like a krazy person.
>>
>>124734
perhaps you have an explanation as for why Trump would hamstring all diplomatic mechanisms and increase defense spending?
>>
>>124737
Why don't you explain to me why you stopped beating your wife?
>>
>>124508
The only preventative measure we need is to not let them come to the USA. They can't attack us if they can't get to us.
>>
>>124327
But Japan has extensive firearm restrictions, if you're an average citizen then you generally can't own any sort of firearm
>>
>>124076
Your assumption that giving millions of dollars to a government run org. increases it's effectiveness in anti terrorism, and that's naive as fuck
>>
>>124327
>what about the right wing terrorist attacks
It's the left these days, haven't seen all the loons on college campuses? attacking professors and Deans because of other student behavior.
>>
>>124646
I don't think Iran is an arab country.
>>
>>124074
Maybe New York city should be known for something else besides being a police state.
>>
>>124074

>Trump switches game difficulty to Legendary

Top kek
>>
U.S. Federal debt now stands at >20 TRILLION Dollars... We've mortgaged our children & grand-children to the Chinese, et al...
>>
>>124863
Why would you immediately go to "the chinese" when every major bank is run by the jews?
>>
>>124763
its persian
>>
>>124863
that's not how federal debt works
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.