[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Teen suicide on the rise among Canadian girls

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 0

from the article:
>When it comes to mental health, is gender the elephant in the room?
>Over the past decade, the suicide rate amongst girls has increased by 38%, while male suicide decreased by 34%.The growth has helped level out the gender-gap
>health experts are wondering if Canada needs to rethink the role of gender in suicide prevention
>Dr Linklater says we should be paying more attention to this disparity, and the effects that gender and colonialism have on young indigenous women, whom she says experience "double oppression".
>Studies indicate that there is a strong link between a history of sexual abuse and suicide attempts
>Another culprit might be sexism, research into suicide in developing countries suggests
>lack of opportunity and (((rigid gender roles))) may be to blame for the high rate of young female suicides
>Rampant sexism, harmful gender norms, perceptions of girls not being valued as anything other than a wife and a mother, very likely is contributing to mental-health problems and suicide These harmful stereotypes, or "visions of what they should be, but aren't", have only been amplified by the spread of social media around the globe, Dr Petroni says.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39210463
http://archive.fo/Xkm3M
>>
>>122345

GOOD LUCK CANUCKS!!
>>
>>122345
>Rampant sexism, harmful gender norms, perceptions of girls not being valued as anything other than a wife and a mother

Because clearly every woman born before 1920 killed themselves.
>>
>>122345
Double oppression sounds like a pokemon finishing move
>>
and men are still more than twice as likely to kill themselves
>>
>>122345
>Students held a walkout to protest suicide
I get the feeling the students just didnt want to go to class. I can see it for politicians you dont like or school policies or something but protesting suicide increases? Whose opinion are they trying to sway?
>>
>>122363
They're Canadians nothing they do makes sense.
>>
>>122360 #
>Young men were 3 times as likely to kill themselves in 2013.
>But now young men are twice as likely!
>We need to do something to stop the girls from killing themselves.

Looking at the graph in the article its more attributed to young men killing themselves less than before. Girls went up .4% and Boys went down 1.5% (additively). While any increase is bad, the ratio being thrown off is mostly attributed to young men not killing themselves.
>>
>>122368
>young men not killing themselves.

We need to fix this.
>>
>>122368
They're playing with numbers. The variance in suicide rates among the girls hasn't changed all that much over 10 years, from looking at that graph.
>>
>>122348
I think what were seeing here is "gender norms" were actually beneficial to the mental health of women, and may have not been an arbitrary decision by our forefathers.
>>
Although I agree that this increase in suicides doesn't look as statistically significant as it's presented, if i were to guess the cause of the rising rate, i would say it's the internet. cyber bullying, getting your nudies passed around, social media popularity being such a big deal, all this shit creates another pressure for the self-conscious and hopelessly lost teens who just want to be accepted.
>>
>>122345
Teen boys have significantly higher suicide rates for decades. Even with the slight increase in suicide rates in teen girls, teen boys still have a higher overall rate comparatively.

But fuck even considering why boys might kill themselves: that marginal increase in girl suicide means we need to sound the alarm. Obviously society is failing the wymyn: it must be the patriarchy which has always been out to destroy womyn's lives. It can't possibly be that feminism is having unintended consequences. Only more feminism can save our girls: we need to force girl's to read feminist literature (like we are already doing). That will solve the problem.

>Teen boys still kill themselves way more often then girls.
>That is not important, let's write an article that focuses entirely on the girls.

This is what Gynocentrism looks like.
>>
>>122368
Srsly, Fuck the BBC. I'm cutting off all mainstream media. Those bitches have lied to me to many times. From now on I will only get my news from pol and news.

Those fucking degenerate losers try to play off a decline in male suicide as a defeat for women: fuck them. I want them all to die in a gutter.
>>
>>122353
Ha
>>
feminism does nothing to liberate the talk about psychological violence on men from women

feminism does nothing to liberate the talk of raped men inside a household

feminism favorizes the abortion whithout even the requirement to inform the father

feminism does nothing against coerced paternity

feminism does nothing about the inequality favouring women on the dating game

feminists actually do not promote intellectual independence as a men is considered a sexist scumbag as soon as he disagrees with them or even try to nuance their positions

do you still believe that the feminists fight for equality ?
>>
>>122433
You have clearly never read any feminist literature.
>>
>>122485
Do you think if you act knowledgeable people will just believe you?

You're an idiot
>>
>>122488
Ironic, considering >>122433
>>
>>122489
That post is full of substance. Refute it if you like.

That reply(your reply) was nothing but pseudo-intellectualism.

>trust me guys I've read a lot of books

Fuck off liberal scum
>>
>>122345
>pastes the article
>puts in (((m e m e p a r e n t h e s e s)))

That'll really show those stinking Jooz.
>>
>>122485
You have clearly never listened to a feminist activist, or rather you have and are shilling the shit out of this thread.

Smoke weed, faggot, it's all you can hope to do with how retarded you are.
>>
>>122509
Sorry, did I say irony?

I meant hypocrisy.
>>
Sooo suicide amongst girls increases and for boys decreases, yet men are still, what, 3-4 times as likely to commit suicide? But who gives a shit about men, it's all about women! Welcome to """equality""".
>>
>>122353
>Shitlord used Double Oppression!
>Critical hit!
>It's super effective!
>Feminist fainted!
>>
>>122629
No prob.
Liberals, especially feminists, do have trouble with the concept of irony.
>>
>>122345
"But anon, you're so liberal and progressive, how could you not be a feminist?"
shit like this
>>
>>122433
>>122485
>>122623
I guess if you want to get technical, feminism hasn't "done nothing" about those issues, they've actively fought against anybody who does try to address or even talk about those issues.
So worse than nothing, really
>>
>Studies indicate that there is a strong link between a history of sexual abuse and suicide attempts

So its really not about gender but about sexual assault survivor therapy. Get more of these girls in-front of trained psychologists. So many problems solved
>>
>>122398
This.
>>
>>122345
tired of reading about this shit. suicide rate amongst teen boys and men is far higher (globally) yet the media do not give a fuck how many males die.

thanks, feminism. you really are cancer.
>>
>>122345

>Canadian (((scholars))) falling for the 'girls pretending to be suicidal for attention' meme
>>
>>122345
>the suicide rate amongst girls has increased by 38%, while male suicide decreased by 34%.The growth has helped level out the gender-gap
wtf i hate equality now
>>
>>122348
But back in the day, you were a wife and a mother or you were an old maid who did either kill herself or live with 30 cats and be scorned by the general public. Now girls hear that they can be anything they want, but when they try to do so they are blocked and frustrated.

Same reason why you have so many honour roll kids who an hero when they fail an entrance exam for a prestigious university, despite having offers from other places. It's not your actual options, it's the perception that everything is falling apart and you have nothing worth living for. Kids are dumb.
>>
>>122398
>>122370
>>122632
>>123601
Booty blasted babies. Try reading the article.

The point is that male suicide is still a problem, but one that's being addressed (It's been dropping since the 1980's, and is having a sharp downturn in the past couple of years). There are lots of programs and efforts being made to understand and combat it, and though male suicide is still more prevalent there is the evidence that current tactics are working.

Meanwhile, for the past 30 years female suicide rates have remained steady, and even gone up recently. A FUCKING LEAF wants to know why, and how that number can also go down.

Be less faggy and stop treating everything as a zero-sum game where those nasty feminists are only doing things to hurt you.
>>
>>123625
>but one that's being addressed
its not, not at all.
escapism is just easier nowadays.
>>
>>122485
I have a book called "The Sexual Politics of Meat: A Feminist-Vegetarian Critical Theory." It's about the oppression of women via the fact that males eat meat, which supposedly co-erces them into eating meat, and escalates beyond that.

It's a truly remarkable example about how Feminists grasp at straws in order to make their oppression seem valid, even if the premise is absurd. Every time a read a chapter, I'm laughing in tears because of how legitimately mislead and dramatic the way these liberal women think.
>>
>>123654
To go further, the Author completely misunderstands a famous quote to suit her purpose.
>"Cato cautioned: "It is a difficult task, O citizens, to make speeches to the belly that has no ears." This expresses the dilemma of those who raise their voices against eating animals: it is a difficult task to argue against the dominant beliefs about meat when they have been reinforced by personal enjoyment of meat eating."

This is how these infernal 3rd Reich Feminists think. I know, I used to live in northern California.
>>
>>122345
>teen suicide on the rise
>only for girls and only .4%
>total suicide rates actually went down
That's it. I'm not reading BBC ever again.
Fuck them and fuck their clickbait.
>>
>>123845
even worse, they only take a ten year period.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 0

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.