[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

World-first as man crosses Atlantic Ocean unaided on paddle board

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/09/sport/chris-bertish-sup-atlantic-crossing/

>South African watersport pro Chris Bertish has just nailed a world first: he's crossed the Atlantic solo, unassisted and unsupported, on a stand-up paddle board.

>Yes, that's one of those surfboard-like contraptions you've probably fallen off on vacation. And yes, we mean the real, genuinely-ferocious ocean that's claimed sailors' lives since man first decided to strap wooden planks together and take to the seas.

>The big-wave surfer and Guinness World Record holder crossed 4,500 nautical miles, setting off from Agadir, Morocco, on December 6 and arriving at English Harbour, Antigua, on the morning of March 9, local time.

>Bertish's stand-up paddleboard (SUP) may not be an off-the shelf job -- it's a custom-made,1,360-pound, 20-foot-long vessel fitted with a tiny cabin and solar panels -- but that doesn't mean the journey was any less daunting.

>For 93 days Bertish has paddled the equivalent of a marathon a day, skirting the Canary Islands before heading into the open ocean and aiming for the Caribbean. Along the way he also set the record for the furthest distance traveled solo, unsupported and unassisted over open ocean in a day (71.96 miles).
>>
Doesn't sound very fun.
>>
>>120248
Any history teacher that says, "The oceans were barriers.", has just been proven wrong twice.
The Pacific was crossed in the '70s, look up Kon-Tiki.
>>
>>120591
Just because it's a barrier doesn't mean it's impassable.
>>
>>120255
I know. 3 months at sea on a tiny raft.

All the tech made it possible anyways. I dont wannna trash they guy because I would probably die in the first week, I'm sure it took skill and an athletic excellence. But he had a nice cozy cabin and plenty of food. All he really had to do was paddle at a medium pace. I hope someone else does it faster just to piss him off.
>>
>>120248
he did not store 3 months of food and fresh water in that tiny cabin. what the fuck did he eat?
>inb4 he fished! :D:P:):D huuurrrr
>>
>>120804
I'd bet money he really did fish.

Also, you can distill drinkable water from seawater with a simple plastic bottle. But there are easier methods with some modern devices. Like so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCtIqqFVjJg
>>
>>120591
Just because you can safely cross them doesn't mean you'll end up somewhere safe
Or anywhere at all.

It's like the difference between navigating a stranger's homw in pitch black and navigating our own home.

So, until you get through and start making maps, it is a barrier, just like a forest would be
>>
>>120804
3 months of dehydrated food doesn't take that much room. Look up soylent.
>>
>>120804
why couldnt he fish? Its the ocean...
>>
>>120954
Ocean fish are different than the eating fish you get in the store.
>>
>>121072
Oh i forgot about the freshwater/saltwater thing.
>>
>>121072
It's been filleted and rinsed with freshwater. The size would be more of an issue than the salt.
>>
>>121085
He might have been too pussy to attract sharks
>>
>>121089
I wouldn't want to catch fish on that thing either.
>>
>>120954
>>121072
>fish

Also, the fish wouldn't provide anywhere near enough carbs for the work he was doing -- he'd need to maintain a strict balance. For water however, a simple evaporation desalinater is extremely efficient on the ocean, even in cloudy weather.
>>
>>121138
Ketosis is a carb free diet and it's fine.

We can make energy from protein.
>>
>>120591
Dude, even mountains and deserts are "barriers" that you can cross but it is harder. There is a reason why China has a shape it has. Its surrounded by natural barriers at all borders.
>>
>>120952
3 months of water would, tho. and he slept in that thing so maybe he's got half of it for supplies
thats kinda what i figure tho, some vacuumed dehydrated super concentrated stuff.
>>120954
have you ever fished in the ocean? they're bigger, stronger, fight more, I don't think that thing is stable enough to resist. surely danging bait would attract bad things too. 3 months of raw fish sounds like a bad gamble but maybe the fucker ate tons of it anyway. again, it's really the water situation i'm wondering about.
>>120895
he does not appear to have a water tower.
>>
>>121171
>have you ever fished in the ocean? t
No. But after this thread I realize it's dangerous.

It would be bad ass though.

Now someone needs to be the first to cross surviving on caught fish.
>>
*sigh*. They've been doing this for years with transatlantic ocean rowers - there's even an annual race for pairs and doubles that usually gets about 10 teams. They know how to do sleep, water, and food (which you *cannot* do with fish, because you are doing super-marathons every day -- you have to stock grains).

All you lazy fucks have to do is google "transatlantic rowing".
>>
>>121188
sounds too easy that way.
>>
>>120248
>93 days

Huh. Steve Callahan did it in 76 in a life raft after his boat sank. He was even a couple hundred nm east where this guy started & ended up ashore barely 5 nm from where the paddle-boarder ended.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/mar/23/adrift-in-atlantic-76-days

And a guy in 1956 paddled a 17' folding kayak across the Atlantic in 72 days without a cabin to protect him from the elements or a self-righting hull. In fact he rode out a storm clinging to his overturned hull.

Still, Chris Bertish did it in fine style and for charity. Reading the details of his trip shows he used a para-anchor system in any windy conditions to let the board just drive itself down the waved while he sheltered in the cabin. He did this quite a bit on his journey.

http://www.thesupcrossing.com/

When you get into the trades in that region you can easily see 15-20 kt winds at your back for weeks on end & the sea state pretty regular. I suspect most of the paddling was to keep his 1300 lb "board" on course. And he had an auto-pilot, Maud Fontenoy rowed both oceans in a similar boat without one, meaning she lay ahull during sleep/rest periods & storms.

And not really convinced calling it a paddle-board is right as pics clearly show a hull with freeboard - which clearly means that is not just a board.

Still pretty cool what he did and for a good cause too.
>>
>>120954
Fish tend to stay pretty close to shore. Middle of the ocean is pretty much a desert.
>>
>>121080
Are you literally in high school?? Stop posting brat
>>
>>121987
All that salt will give you hypertension, anon
>>
>>121191

umm... can you or anyone you know do a super-marathon (about 10 hours continuous running/rowing at race pace or 14 biking/skiing) every day for 30 days? Olympic-class athletes need to go into special training for at least 6 months before even thinking of attempting something like that.
>>
>>122045
Yes. If I really wanted to. He just rode a fucking boat and ate snacks.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.