[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Women teachers strike causes D.C. suburb to call off school Wednesday

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

Women are stupid. Oh well no school for the kids.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/03/06/women-teachers-strike--alexandria-trumps-backyard/98816126/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatodaycomnation-topstories

>WASHINGTON — A major Washington suburb is canceling all public school classes this Wednesday on International Women’s Day — a statement about women's rights in President Trump’s backyard.

>More than 300 staff members in the city of Alexandria, Va., have requested leave on the day that the leaders of the Women’s March on Washington are planning a series of protests and strikes to highlight their continuing concerns about Trump’s policies on civil, human and reproductive rights. It is dubbed it “A Day Without a Woman.”

>“This is not a decision that was made lightly,” Alvin Crawley, Alexandria superintendent of schools said in a statement notifying parents.

>“We have been closely monitoring requests for leave on March 8, including communicating with school leaders and our education association. The decision is based solely on our ability to provide sufficient staff to cover all our classrooms, and the impact of high staff absenteeism on student safety and delivery of instruction. It is not based on a political stance or position,” said Crawley.

>The female civil rights leaders who organized the Jan. 21 Women’s March on Washington a day after Trump’s inauguration are encouraging women across the country to hold walkouts, rallies and marches on Wednesday to highlight the economic power of women.

>The goal is to call attention to economic injustices including lower wages and gender discrimination. Women who can’t participate are being encouraged to wear red. "Many women in our most vulnerable communities will not have the ability to join the strike, due to economic insecurity. We strike for them," organizers note on their website.
>>
>While it’s unclear how many public school systems may actually cancel classes, at least one other district in North Carolina is also canceling classes on Wednesday. The Chapel Hill-Carrboro City school district is 75% female

>“It shows the power that women have collectively,” said Carmen Perez, a Women’s March national co-chair and the executive director of The Gathering for Justice. “We are sending a clear message on the economic impact that women have in the United States and globally," she said.

>The events come a week after Trump’s first address to Congress during which a large number of female Democratic lawmakers wore the color white, which represents women's suffrage. The first women's day was in 1909 (but in February) when 15,000 women marched through the streets of New York demanding improved pay, shorter hours and voting rights.

>While the Women’s March leaders have been organizing local gatherings and encouraging people to attend town halls and rallies since Trump was inaugurated, the Day Without a Woman is their biggest event since the march on Jan. 21. While Trump has been trying to modify his tone, said Perez, the concerns that women have remain the same. “Even if he changes his tone his presidency is still dangerous for a lot of marginalized communities,” said Perez.
>>
Aren't there laws about when/how teachers can strike designed to stop schools from closing? Or is it because they're not striking for any sort reason related to teaching or education, but taking the day for political action protesting women's rights, it's a loophole?
>>
>>119144
I would have thought so, but I don't know DC regulations. A quick search got me this, but not much else: http://cepr.net/documents/state-public-cb-2014-03.pdf
on page 8, 21, it's illegal to strike against the District, so that means that this shouldn't be allowed, I guess?
>>
Alexandria is a part of VA, not DC. They call it a "DC suburb" because it's right next to the city limits. Lots of northern VA is technically DC suburbs, because people live there and drive into the city to work.
>>
>>119161
according to this, http://cepr.net/documents/state-public-cb-2014-03.pdf pages 8 and 63, (is it wrong? please let me know if so) teachers striking is illegal in Virginia, too. I wonder if they're willingly giving up their jobs, if there's some legal loophole, if this doesn't technically count as a strike, or if they assume if they all do it then they can't get in trouble.
>>
>>119167
I think it's like they're all using one of their sick days on the same day.
>>
Strikes are illegal in the 'land of the free'?

baka desu senpai
>>
I am starting to think these protestors are working for President Trump.

The entire election, the democrats have been so perfectly stupid, it has to be intentional.

School choice is looking pretty damn good right now HA HA HA frickin idiots\
>>
>>119170
I wonder if there's some sort of anti-collusion law. They can leave for 'personal reasons', which is a legally grey area:

§ 51.1-1108. Use of family and personal leave.

A. Participating employees shall be eligible to take family and personal leave to account for absences due to a short-term incident, illness or death of a family member, or other personal need. Participating employees shall be compensated by their employers at 100 percent of creditable compensation for each hour of family and personal leave taken, not to exceed the employee's family and personal leave balance.

B. Family and personal leave may be taken for any permitted purpose at the sole discretion of the participating employee, provided that the employee gives reasonable prior notice to his immediate supervisor and the immediate supervisor does not inform the employee that his taking the leave will materially impede the ability of the employing agency to perform a critical function due to an emergency or exigent circumstances.

>>119171
Public sector, stuff like teachers, police, firefighters. They still can collectively bargain.
>>
>>119180
I found something, but I'm not sure if it applies. Anyone here know?

§ 18.2-498.4. Duty to provide certified statement.

A. The Commonwealth, or any department or agency thereof, and any local government or any department or agency thereof, may require that any person seeking, offering or agreeing to transact business or commerce with it, or seeking, offering or agreeing to receive any portion of the public funds or moneys, submit a certification that the offer or agreement or any claim resulting therefrom is not the result of, or affected by, any act of collusion with another person engaged in the same line of business or commerce; or any act of fraud punishable under this article.

B. Any person required to submit a certified statement as provided in subsection A above who knowingly makes a false statement shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony.

1980, c. 472.

Since they are public sector, this is collusion, and if they have paid sick days that involves transfer of moneys, that means this might be a Class 6 felony?
>>
>>119180
>some sort of anti-collusion law.

Do you not know what a union is? Most teachers have a local one and a national one. Do you not know what a strike is? They have state and federal regulations for that, but a one-day de facto sympathy/symbolic strike is usually not worth the paperwork hours to make official for both sides.

tldr; you're an idiot. Stop being an idiot.
>>
>>119213
>Do you not know what a strike is?
You mean the thing teachers in VA are legally barred from doing?
>Do you not know what a union is?
Are you implying this is union-sponsored? Where exactly in the article did it say that? The word 'union' does not exist in the article in OP, where are you seeing it?
>a one-day de facto sympathy/symbolic strike
which is illegal
>is usually not worth the paperwork hours to make official for both sides.
since there is no paperwork required, I figure it should be easy to get those non-existent forms filled out.

You should also note that your tax dollars are being used to pay for their sick days if this is just them all calling in sick. Since it'd public money being paid for collusion, that also might be illegal.

tl;dr: I have posted excerpts from legally binding documents. You got upset at me for doing so and dismissed the excerpts without providing a reason or source why.

tl;dr: no u
>>
These educated women successfully demonstrated that they are necessary for schooling to continue at all. Because nothing happened without them.
>>
Why are they acting so inferior?
>>
>>119268
Anyone can throw a wrench in an operation if they up and leave on short notice, essential or not.

There's not enough time to replace them.
>>
Illegal or not, no one is going to prosecute them. It'd be a PR nightmare and this country is a bunch of pussies.
>>
>>119139
>Women are stupid. Oh well no school for the kids.
Great way to start a thread, OP. No anti-woman /r9k/ /pol/ tier retardation here or anything!
>>119246
>You should also note that your tax dollars are being used to pay for their sick days if this is just them all calling in sick.
I am okay with this
It's one day, calm down you whiney faggot.
It's not all of America's fault that VA is backwards
He didn't mention it was a union specific action, just that teachers by and large have them.
>>
>>119154
But that's the point of a strike. So what if it's illegal, what are they gonna do, restaff an entire district? That would take months before you had functional schools again. And think of the massive negative reaction that would happen if all the women in a school district got fired for a feminist workers strike. If workers didn't strike because it's illegal, that would be counterintuitive to the very concept of a workers strike
>>
>>119541
That's exactly the point of this demonstration you fuckstick.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.