[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Father of US commando killed in Yemen refused to meet Trump

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39099680

The father of a US Navy Seal killed in a raid on a suspected al-Qaeda compound in Yemen last month has said that he refused to meet US President Donald Trump when his son's body arrived home.
"I'm sorry, I don't want to see him," he said he told a chaplain at the time.
The raid on 28 January was the first such operation authorised by Mr Trump.
Bill Owens, whose son William "Ryan" Owens was killed, told the Miami Herald that "the government owes my son an investigation".
"Why at this time did there have to be this stupid mission when it wasn't even barely a week into his administration? Why?" he said in an interview with the newspaper published on Sunday.
"For two years prior, there were no boots on the ground in Yemen - everything was missiles and drones - because there was not a target worth one American life. Now, all of a sudden we had to make this grand display?''
US raid on al-Qaeda in Yemen: What we know
The raid - approved by President Trump just six days after he took office - is believed to have killed several civilians, including children.
Three other Americans were wounded in the raid, planning for which began under the Obama administration.
A report in the New York Times alleged that the mission had been compromised early on - something the commandos knew from intercepted communications, the paper said.
"They kind of knew they were screwed from the beginning," it quoted a former Seal Team 6 official as saying.
But the military disputed this, saying there was no evidence the mission was compromised.
>>
White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders said on Sunday that she believed President Trump would support an investigation.
"The mission has a lot of different critics, but it did yield a substantial amount of very important intel and resources that helped save American lives and other lives,'' she said.
Mr Owens said he was told that his son was killed early on in a fierce gunfight that erupted with AQAP militants.
A flag-draped casket bearing his body was flown to Dover Air Base on 1 February for a private ceremony. Mr Owens said he only learned that President Trump and his daughter Ivanka were on their way when he was already there.
"I told them I didn't want to make a scene about it, but my conscience wouldn't let me talk to him," he said.
A military veteran, he told the Miami Herald that Mr Trump's comments during the presidential campaign about the family of a dead Muslim US soldier had disturbed him.
He said that the White House should not "hide behind" his son's death to ignore criticism of the raid.
William "Ryan" Owens, a 36-year-old married father of three, was a member of the elite Seal Team 6.
>>
>>115805
This guy shouldn't hide behind his sons body who is probably rolling in his grave.
>>
where is investigation?

how come no one is proposing sinking YEARS and MILLIONS into this, like bengahzi? if trump truly did nothing wrong, then he should have no problem allowing an independent investigation into this, right?

why does trump fucking hate the troops so much?
>>
>>115823
>how come no one is proposing sinking YEARS and MILLIONS into this, like bengahzi?

People and the media in the name of balance stress that both parties in any era will be equally petty, vindictive, and partisan given such an opportunity.

We shall see, shan't we?
>>
>>115823
Remember that most of the details of the raid are classified. They could have already investigated and nobody would be telling the press.
>>
>>115808
FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING NONCE.
>>
>>115823
>US Embassy = Al-Qaeda stronghold
>US Ambassadors = Navy Seals
Exactly how retard are you? Would Trump call the Navy Seals and tell them to rescue themselves while they were executing a hit on Al-Qaeda targets?
>>
>>115854
Doesn't even make sense.
Don't drink & post
>>
This raid was devised under Obama but not carried out.
Why?
What did they know?
Why would you send in troops when the successful method of choice has been drones?
Was the president trying to show he is an assertive Commander in Chief?
Should there have been deaths in an attempt to enhance the reputation of the new president?
Why was it such a fuck up?
Where are the people who screamed Benghazi! Benghazi! Benghazi!?

It needs to be investigated, but I am sure that is not going to happen. I don't give fuck what party you support. The government has a duty of care to those who go in harms way.
>>
>>115889
His post made perfect sense. The only mistake is the typo saying retard instead of retarded. Retard.
>>
>>115890
>This raid was devised under Obama but not carried out.
>Why?

If you take 2 seconds to look it up you'll see it's (primarily, at least from what's been released) because they were waiting for the moonless night. The mistake is apparently thought to be someone in the compound hearing the buzz of a drone early in the evening and correctly readying all their countermeasures. The executive judgement question then is whether the op should have been aborted once this happened.

And of course this all likely has fuck all to do with Trump. It may be an incompetent appointee or it may not, but 98% of everything was planned well in advance, so that doesn't really matter either.

What matters is the reaction and the hypocrisy: Trump berating the Intel community (who set up the op) before during and after as well as military vets and families yet praising the "heroes" here; Republicans insisting that there's no tragedy when they squeezed the blood of Benghazi for years (and still do).
>>
>>115890
All the missions brought to the president for approval are already been planned and green-lighted by military authorities. What probably happened is Obama didn't feel there was enough intel or reason to risk America lives, whereas Trump didn't know what he was doing - as it was his first time in that role - and gave it the go ahead after being talked into it by military advisers.
>>
>>115890
>implying this is remotely equivalent to benghazi
>>
>>115804
>the government owes my son an investigation

Well it was under OBAMA ADMINISTRATION when that happened not Trump
>>
>>118918
Stop being willfully ignorant
>>
>>118918
This is quality comedy.
>>
>>118961
>highly successful.
"Highly successful" would be obtaining crucial information while sustaining no American or civilian casualties. Killing 14 Qaida, 8 women, 7 children and losing a Navy SEAL is not even close to "highly successful."
>>
>>118965
That's because it was sabotaged.

Trump is dealing with some serious shit unlike any president dealt with before.

He'll handle it quickly and make America great again.
>>
>>118966
It wasn't "sabotaged," it was a risky operation that hit several snags during its execution leading to the death of an American elite; meaning that it wasn't "highly successful." I'm well aware there's no convincing you of this, as you would eat your own shit if Trump hinted at it being a good idea.
>>
>>118973
>It wasn't "sabotaged,"
like you know

I heard this from a Yemenese person.
>>
>>118981
>I heard this from a Yemenese person.
Sure, but the word you were looking for was "Yemeni," not "Yemenese."
>>
>>118984
That was a typo, but thanks. Some people probably didn't know that.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.