[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

South Africa Anti-Immigrant Protests Turn Violent (w/video)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/24/world/africa/immigrant-protests-south-africa.html

>JOHANNESBURG — Anti-immigrant protesters led a violent march into South Africa’s administrative capital, Pretoria, on Friday, and the police responded with rubber bullets, tear gas and water cannons.

>President Jacob Zuma appealed for calm and condemned the latest wave of anti-foreigner violence to grip South Africa in recent years.

>“Many citizens of other countries living in South Africa are law-abiding and contribute to the economy of the country positively,” Mr. Zuma said.

>“It is wrong to brandish all non-nationals as drug dealers or human traffickers,” he said. “Let us isolate those who commit such crimes and work with government to have them arrested, without stereotyping and causing harm to innocent people.”

>Legal and illegal African immigrants to South Africa, which has the continent’s most advanced economy, have been the focus of criticism and resentment and sometimes of violent attacks in recent years. South Africans accuse migrants of stealing jobs or exploiting locals by running small businesses in poor, black townships.

>Others blame foreigners for the country’s high crime rates. The accusations, which are not backed up by official statistics, resonate in a country with a jobless rate of 27-percent and yawning income inequalities.

>The latest anti-immigrant sentiments were set off in a neighborhood south of Johannesburg called Rosettenville, where residents burned down a dozen houses that they said were being used by Nigerians as drug dens and brothels.

>The attacks spread to other areas, including around Pretoria, where communities and businesses owned by foreigners have been targeted.
>>
>>115151
Tbh a lot of African countries were on track to making progress in a peaceful environment until refugees were thrown around in the 00s. Some countries went from the safest countries in the world to some of the worst. It's a shame nationalists were too narrowninded to look into this so they could avoid the racist/prejudice argument towards refugees.
>>
>>115240
What does it benefit the native population of a country to allow refugess into their country?
>>
>>115933
A country border is an arbitrary line created by dead men whom the immigrants don't give a shit about.
>>
>>115935
Granted, but you didn't answer the question.
>>
>>115935
>>115935
borders are a meme
Just as government is a meme
Just as money is a meme
Just as morality is a meme
Just as republican nominee Donald Trump was a meme
Just because it's a meme doesn't mean you should take it any less seriously, or it's effects on the world
>>
>>115937
You're missing the point that the immigrants don't care if they're allowed to come or not. Many could more accurately be called refugees and are fleeing persecution that makes the anti-immigrant violence they find when they get to their destination look like a children's circus comparatively. It's still worth it for them to come for the opportunities which await them.

>>115939
nationalism should stay in the 20th century where it belongs.
>>
>>115940
A child^
>>
>>115947
Ad hominem^
>>
>>115940
So you're saying that native populations should actively persecute immigrants to incentivize them to leave. Why didn't I think of that?
>>
>>116124
>the anti-immigrant violence they find when they get to their destination look like a children's circus comparatively

Yes fight these people.
Make life hard for them so they become more desperate.
What could go wrong?
>>
>>116127
>Yes fight these people.
>Make life hard for them so they become more desperate.
>What could go wrong?

Almost poetic -- any Japanesefags here want to convert this to on and make a haiku?
>>
>>115151
As a South African, I can say that this wouldn't happen if we built a big, beautiful wall
>>
>>115940
>nationalism should stay in the 20th century where it belongs.

haha, nationalism is coming back in style. it's going to be a new century of imperialism, except this time, we won't be conquering people to get to resources, we'll be exterminating them to take their shit for our own, so third worlders watch out, because the world is about to get way hotter for y'all.
>>
>>116139
Invasions are so 19th century though. We can much more effectively exploit the third world by jewing/forcing them into bad trade deals (they give us raw resources for cheap, we sell the finished products back to them for a net gain for us). Usually these countries tend to be dictatorships, so giving a little money at the top goes a long way in getting what you want. Imperialism isn't practiced in the overt sense just because it really is very inefficient (see Iraq War).
>>
>>116140
>implying it's about efficiency or results
>implying it's not about glory and national pride
>>
>>115982
logical fallacies aren't some kind of yugioh trap card you know
>>
>>115982
Homo^
>>
>>115933
Why are you asking me?
Did you even read what I wrote?
>>
>>116228
You said they should avoid the prejudice against refugees argument. Why? What does it benefit a native population to let in refugees.
>>
>>116316
Shut the fuck up and go back to school
>>
>>116319
I just got back from campus, i don't really want to go back. What's your beef?
>>
>>116128
I can not fight now
Fighting makes them want to come
Please come rape my ass
>>
>>116320
He is just an idiot
>>
Literally outlaw nigs from their own country by contributing kek
>>
>>116321
Wow so smart.
>>
Who the Fuck would go to SA? Shithole...
>>
>>116127
Life wont be hard for them if they stop breathing
>>
well. who fucking saw that coming, amiright?
>>
>>116139
>In the new film by some asshat on /news/....
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.