[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sanders: Trump Opens Floodgates for Private Prisons to Make ‘Huge’

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 79618_600.jpg (90KB, 600x421px) Image search: [Google]
79618_600.jpg
90KB, 600x421px
https://sputniknews.com/us/201702241050998960-trump-opens-private-prisons-for-profits/

>WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — "Trump just opened the floodgates for private prisons to make huge profits by building more prisons and keeping even more Americans in jail," the release stated on Thursday.

>Earlier in the day, the Department of Justice rescinded the memorandum titled “Reducing Our Use of Private Prisons,” that was issued by former President Barack Obama.

>Sanders added that the action of the new administration demonstrates how a "corrupt political and campaign finance system," operates in the United States. The senator argued that to lobby their interests, private prison companies poured large amounts of money into Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign.

>Nearly 21,366 inmates out of the total 189,000 federal detainees' population are currently housed in privately-operated facilities, according to the Federal Bureau of Prisons.

>In August 2016, the US Department of Justice said it was limiting the use of private prisons because they are less safe and secure than government-run facilities without substantial cost savings. A Justice Department Inspector General report revealed that privately-operated prisons have higher rates of property damage, assault and death than government operations.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/justice-department-reverses-plan-to-phase-out-private-prisons/

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/02/23/516916688/private-prisons-back-in-mix-for-federal-inmates-as-sessions-rescinds-order?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=news

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/23/us/politics/justice-department-private-prisons.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&referer=http://spidr.today/
>>
I committed a felony once. It was stupid and fucked up, and I paid for it. And you know what? Im glad I paid such a heavy price for a stupid, drunken act because it gave me the discipline I personally needed to live in a civilized society. I feel nothing for people who've committed crimes and are paying the price for it. I only hope they find their way, as I did.
>>
>>114657
Cool story bro
>>
>>114661
I am dead serious here actually
>>
>>114657

Perhaps in some cases we need heavier sentences but that doesn't change the legitimate point that selling government contracts for the construction and maintenance of facilities charged with the grave duty of handling the delivery of punishments to people is going to produce some glaring conflicts of interest.

This is especially the case in our country given our system of campaign finance, in which corporations are treated as individuals that are free to donate as much as they please on political campaigns. It's a constitutionally permissible system but nonetheless a broken system. Who are you going to feel a stronger allegiance toward? The folks that voted you into office, or the folks that voted you into office and provided you millions in funds to draw upon for your campaign?
>>
>>114657
I am glad you got your shit together. I genuinely mean that. I'm right there with you, actually. Though, my experience was more detrimental than beneficial. If you haven't gone back, then you're part of the minority.
>Bureau of Justice Statistics studies have found high rates of recidivism among released prisoners. One study tracked 404,638 prisoners in 30 states after their release from prison in 2005.[1] The researchers found that:
>Within three years of release, about two-thirds (67.8 percent) of released prisoners were rearrested.
>Within five years of release, about three-quarters (76.6 percent) of released prisoners were rearrested.
>Of those prisoners who were rearrested, more than half (56.7 percent) were arrested by the end of the first year.
>Property offenders were the most likely to be rearrested, with 82.1 percent of released property offenders arrested for a new crime compared with 76.9 percent of drug offenders, 73.6 percent of public order offenders and 71.3 percent of violent offenders.

https://www.nij.gov/topics/corrections/recidivism/Pages/welcome.aspx

This thread is more on the topic of privatized prisons. Should private corporations be allowed to profit on incarceration?

>>114664
Excellent points.
>>
>>114657
Wow, this story is almost entirely unrelated to the topic.
>>
>>114657
Whoopty fuckin doo, what does that have to do with bloody private prisons?
>>
>>114668
This is why we need the death penalty for all crimes.
>>
Look up prisons like Angola in Louisiana. It's the slave trade, plain and simple. McDonalds, Wal-Mart, AT&T, and more all have workers that can compete with the global market at less than a dollar a day thanks to these prisons.
>>
>>114794
>at less than a dollar a day
It costs taxpayers about $23,000-$40,000 per prisoner annually.
>>
>>114646
Wasn't there recently some scandal where private prisons were bribing judges to hand down prison sentences?

Why anyone thinks privatising public services is a good thing is beyond me
>>
>>114874
Yes. It was a couple of judges sending kids to "juvenile prisons" that they helped build.

http://www.infowars.com/judge-who-accepted-private-prison-bribes-to-send-black-kids-to-jail-sentenced-to-28-years/

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pennsylvania-seeks-close-books-kids-cash-scandal-n408666
>>
>>114874
Because 60% of public services are shit and public school/prison system should be considered one and the same.

And if you want to see corruption and profiteering you need not look further than family law.
>>
>>114817
>It costs taxpayers about $23,000-$40,000 per prisoner annually.

So nothing to the people actually involved then
>>
>>114646
>For profit prisons
>Legal slaves
>Call people criminals, now it's alright to enslave them
>Bust them for some bullshit technicality you pulled out of your ass
>Hit them with red tape that's impossible to limbo out of
>Now their sentence is escalated or extended and stuck in this system
>People are now pulled off the streets for virtually nothing and locked up in legal slavery as long as legislature can keep conjuring bullshit
We already see this shit in predatory loans, financing. Courts and police don't make enough money so they figure out ways to jerk people around and force them to pay out for services, they're treated like pinatas if you will.
One of the reasons our incarceration system is so overloaded, and the largest compared to any other nation is that we bust people over all sorts of absurd bullshit like the above. Oh you missed a payment on your car? Bye bye. I don't know, maybe people legitimately think regardless of what it is a crime is a crime, and that even a minor or non-violent offense is just as bad a serial killer. Either way, instead of expanding the prison system we should reform it and focus on rehabilitation and so on.

Also hilariously, with the rise in immigration enforcement and Mexico threatening to take things with Nato when the white house keeps trying to dump anyone from anyone into Mexico, it really does seem like they might be trying to forego that and instead legally enslave immigrants they can't expel. Just set up your "private prison" next to a vineyard or something, and have them pick grapes to earn their keep. You can also probably do shit like exporting or leasing your "prisoners" for work too. Instead of that money that would be going to their home nation's family it goes right into the corporation or "private prisons" wallet.
>>
>>114817
That would suggest you either start killing people for smoking weed, stealing money, and other non rape/murder crimes.

Or you actually give them the tools to be a part of society and don't rape them by bail bonds.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.