[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

OROVILLE DAM EMERGENCY SPILLWAY

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 1

File: inundation[1].jpg (256KB, 890x943px) Image search: [Google]
inundation[1].jpg
256KB, 890x943px
http://media.sacbee.com/static/newsroom/graphicsembeds/2017/inundation.jpg

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article132332499.html

Damn!

These graphics, no legend, amazing.

I guess they are for models or predictions based on expected water, no way of knowing if that's drastically different than a potential emergency spillway erosion triggering a major damn collapse.

Thousands told to evacuate.
>>
http://media.sacbee.com/static/newsroom/graphicsembeds/2017/progression.jpg
>>
Contacts that listen to RT (ugh) report they are reporting on it now.
>>
https://water.usgs.gov/osw/flood_inundation/

Might have been from this program, but I'm not gonna bother with it now.
>>
I can't tell whether these graphics represent the expected flooding or if the dam completely goes
>>
GOD DAM IT
>>
I love California. Hellish infernos that engulf half the state on a yearly basis, daily earthquakes, radioactive fallout from Japan, years-long droughts, and now dam busting floods. I wonder what's next? Maybe Mt Shasta will erupt, or half the state will finally just break off into the ocean.

Truly, God has forsaken this land. I blame the people.
>>
>>111003
Yeah without reading an article it's hard to know even that much.

Lake Oroville water levels have fallen to 901 feet, the level at which water flows over the emergency spillway, state figures from 8 p.m. show.

That means little or no water is likely coming over the emergency spillway – and the threat of collapse due to erosion has diminished said Joe Countryman, a member of the Central Valley Flood Protection Board and a former engineer with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article132332499.html#storylink=cpy

This does not mean that the risk of catastrophic flooding has passed. Officials released water so quickly over the damaged main spillway that they may have further threatened its integrity, Countryman said.
>>
>>111008
>countryman
no one say the s*c*d* word until HARPP goes on cooldown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111
>>
>>110987
Hey, guys, I worrying about my wife in Livermore, however she told me it's too far from Oroville, but I still mind. What do you think, is it gonna be really safe in Bay Area?
>>
>>111014
Sorry for your loss.
>>
>>111014

>Bay Area

Probably be safer to live in Oroville
>>
more dead californians the better
>>
>>111030

Cali flood refugees coming soon to a town near you
>>
>>111014

She's an hour away from me and I'm two hours away from Oroville. She's fine.
>>
>>110987
America has the best infrastructure in the world Jerry, the BEST.
>>
>lol civil war guys secession time fuck trump :)

>oh no everything is breaking FEMA funds pls!
>>
>>111046

Butte county voted for Trump, dumb dumb.
>>
>>111046
i cant wait to see the shitstorm that ensues when trump tries to use disaster relief as leverage
>>
I live in yuba city with a 2 story house. I have guns, food, and water. I'll live right?
>>
>>111049
Yes, but now everybody knows where you live.
>>
>People still defend hydroelectric power
>>
>>111053
It's just water and California is dry as fuck right now, this is a GOOD thing people.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NanEPQYZ5XU
>>
>>111062

Pretty much this. There are more people complaining that we don't have enough water storage facilities to hold all this water, and how much of the water is just being wasted by being allowed to flow back out into the ocean.

>>111014

>Bay Area

Do you realize how fucking far away the Bay Area is from Oroville?

Your wife is fine.

T. Someone who has lived in California his entire life

>>111006

>daily earthquakes

Lol what nigga, I've been living in California my whole life and the biggest earthquake we've had in the last 10 years could barely be felt. We have micro-quakes every now and again that can't even be felt or noticed by the average person.

>Hellish infernos that engulf half the state

Wildfires are pretty common everywhere dawg, and they are simple enough to keep under control.

>radioactive fallout from Japan

Now you're just making shit up.

>dam busting floods

This is literally the first time this has happened in the 50+ years since the Oroville dam was built.

>I blame the people

You should blame the fossil fuel companies around the world that have fucked up the environment to the point that our weather has turned this extreme.
>>
It doesn't seem like anything serious is really going to happen. Yes, dam will require considerable repairs, but it pretty far away from getting destroyed (unless more rains come).
>>
>>111034
>>111081
> Do you realize how fucking far away the Bay Area is from Oroville?
Well, yep, but some rivers are very long, if you understand what I mean.
> Your wife is fine.
Hope so. Thank you.
>>
Time to wash away the filth that is California
>>
>using acre-foot as an unit of volume

Jesus Christ, what the fuck is wrong with you people?
>>
hope that dam fails and that many people die. you murica fags dont deserve any better.
>>
>>111088
At worst they will have flood stage on rivers that far away. Just avoid the rivers if the spillway fails.
>>
>>111092
I hope you and your people get ethnically cleansed by african terrorists within the next decade
>>
This is it folks
this is whats gonna create JEFFERSON STATE
>>
>>111110
That isn't how you spell Aztlan.
>>
>>111111
Nice sextuple anon.
>>
>>111111
>amazedface.jpg
>>
Live stream where?
>>
Guys, we're at the brink of a catastrophe

The least you could do is bump the thread
>>
Livestream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxbDJlruQ-4
>>
>>111032
This dam supplies 20% of San Diegos water.

Imagine every city from San Diego to Sacramento fleeing the area due to a lack of water. We're talking about literally 25 million Californian refugees heading north, south, or east in their cars.

I'm in San Diego and I'm stocking up on bottled water & filling up my tank so I'm ready when this happens, probably will be full scale collapse of the entire state in less than a week.
>>
>>111151
Wtf is going on in the livechat? Bots?
>>
>>111048
There was a House of Cards episode about this.
>>
>>111133
They've already lowered water level and started repairs. This whole accident is almost over...
>>
>>111161
Did you actually understand this article or others?
They can't do any repairs until the water level is low enough, and the dam is draining at a snails pace.
It's going to start raining again in less than 48 hours, and it's going to rain for a week.
There isn't enough time to repair anything, and the damage will get worse with each passing day.
They should've taken care of this 12 years ago, but CA is too busy abusing its insolvent budget to fritter away money on infrastructure maitinence.
>>
>>111164
Water level is low enough to stop water flow through emergency spillway so repairs and slope fortification to prevent further erosion are already undergoing.
>>
Yuba city is my hometown, my folks are already out of there. 1999 was still worse!
>>
Is there any chance this flood will carry illegal immigrants back to Mexico?
>>
>>111154
Imagine all those hipster faggots invading the good parts of the country. Commiefornia is a containment zone that has worked very well so far so stay there or run off to Canada like all you faggots threatened. Not mexico though it's too scary for you there
>>
>>111202
They're already spreading out. Ton's of California in Nevada.

More worrysome: Texas. It might actually go blue.
>>
>>111211
nobody believes your Jewish lies
>>
>>111211
Worrisome for whom?
>>
>>111215
>>111216

How many leftpol is here exactly?

Everyone on this board, besides commies, understands that rabid leftism is the biggest plague on the Earth.
>>
>>111218
It's anonymous you dumb nigger stop trying to act like you know anything about the posters
>>
I live in Chico wich is close to Oroville. Everyone evacuated except chico.............
>>
>>111219
LOL I've been cross referencing IPs on /news/ and /leftypol/ for months

There are at least a dozen of you posting on the regular. Possibly less.
>>
>this dumb nigger thinks I'm a lefty
>he doesn't even know I'm behind 7 proxies
>>
>this lefty cuck thinks virtue signaling works
>>
>>111224
You say cuck a lot. Is there something on your mind nigger lover?
>>
>>111222
>>111224
>>111218
Oh look, it's that one /pol/nigger who won't shut up about virtue signaling. His posts are so rare.
>>
>>111225
>I get called cuck a lot

LOL

Gee, maybe you're a cuck?

>>111226
There's the fag who won't shut up about me calling leftists out on their shit.

Cry more bitch.
>>
>>111228
nice reddit spacing
>>
>>111229
The virtue signaling isn't working. How many times will I have to tell you?
>>
>>111228
The problem is that you're so far to the right that if The Ghost of William F. Buckley appeared and said he wanted to give you the lost conservative principles of the ages, you'd call him a leftist cuck and tell him to fuck off.
>>
>>111230
>How many times
714293. You're only on number 83. Get to typing.
>>
>>111231
I'm an American.

You can go ahead and pretend you don't know what "leftist" means if you want. I've never understood how acting retarded was supposed to help an argument.
>>
>>111234
I know very well what a leftist is. But you don't. You're so far the right that you'd call Ronald Reagan a leftist.

I pity people who only see the world through a partisan lens and see ideological boogeymen everywhere. Because love is blind, may you be cursed by falling in love with a leftist someday.
>>
>>111237
Funny how the left is all about bipartisanship all of a sudden.

These political zealots campaign non-stop, but now that they're losing they want to stop.

Get comfortable.
>>
>>111239
When you say "the left", people are going to start treating it as just a euphemism for people with whom you disagree.

Now tell us more about how all the virtue signaling outrages you when your expert, honed senses detect it.
>>
>>111243
>people are going to start treating it as just a euphemism for people with whom you disagree.

lol you fucking wish.
>>
Really enjoy the endless back and forth between lefty cuck vs righty fascist

>politicians aren't going to represent you once you elect them to Washington. How many millionaires are there in congress, how many lobbyists are there for both parties, how much corporate money goes into agenda and with the backing of a media that sugar coats, omits, and skews perspective

But yea it's totally one parties fault and not a larger symptom of a bigger problem
>>
>>111246
>cuck
Virtue signaling.

>a bigger problem
Your communism is so transparent.

One party is the problem. I realize that sounds partisan, but it's the truth.

Acting like they're both equally bad, you must be a democrat or an ignorant youngfag.
>>
>>111006
>radioactive fallout from Japan

that reaches that far away???
>>
>>111081
>You should blame the fossil fuel companies around the world that have fucked up the environment to the point that our weather has turned this extreme.

yup. these people will be remembered as murderers
>>
>>111278
Only according to the same jewish run fake news clickbait websites that are trying to tell you humans are melting the planet.
>>
>>111282
humans are not "melting the planet", it's the bourgeoisie that makes it staggeringly more uninhabitable by humans. I trust this poster however >>111081

>jews this and jews that

George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, Adams, Monroe and the rest weren't jews.
>>
>>111281
>energy is bad

Incredible.

Do you like computer? Houses? Refrigerators and hospitals?

ALL of this shit is possible because of those "evil fossil fuels"

God damn with the kids please fuck off.
>>
>>111283
none of founders were Jews you lying fuck.
>>
>>111286
that's what I said.
>>
>>111288
I don't give a fuck you commie shitstain
>>
>>111286
>murrycan reading comprehension
>>
>>111291
>muh anti-American commie propaganda
>>
>>111290
>>111293
mouthbreather
>>
>>111294
Haven't heard that insult in years.

Is it making a come back over on /leftypol/?
>>
>>111295
your bantz is next level m90
>>
Up tracing? Get with the times. Now days we use Emoji Analysis.
>>
>>110987
http://www.capradio.org/articles/2017/02/13/water-levels-drop-at-lake-oroville,-evacuations-remain-in-effect/

>UPDATE 6:22 p.m.: Governor Jerry Brown says an announcement will not be made tonight regarding the current evacuation order affecting nearly 200-thousand people living downstream of the Oroville Dam.
Brown addressed a crowd at the Office of Emergency Services shortly before 6:00 p.m. He says the Sheriff's Department may make that call as early as tomorrow morning.

>His message for the evacuees is that the state is doing everything possible to secure the situation.

>Governor Brown placed a formal request for the President to declare an emergency at the Oroville Dam.

>As to whether the federal government will be helping fund repairs, he says he believes Washington and California will work together in a constructive way.

>UPDATE 4:20 p.m.: Federal agencies are providing California with preliminary assistance for the Oroville dam emergency, contrary to some rumors President Donald Trump is withholding aid to the state.

>The President earlier this month had threatened to withhold federal funds, calling California “out of control.” A website that masquerades as a news outlet called the Sacramento Dispatch had published a false report that the president carried out that threat, after the Oroville dam emergency led to the evacuation of more than 180,000 Californians from their homes.

I can't decide whether nature is favouring one man over the other or just forcing them to work together.
>>
>>110987
It is expected. First they will get drought; then too much rain, snow and flash melts.
And everywhere infrastructure is crumbling because of corruption, incompetence and sloth. We're scr...d.
>>
>>111202
the best part is, besides the college students in chico, the north state DOES NOT want any of this commie bullshit
>>
>>111221
do you even understand why that is? you seem to be confused.
>>
>>110987
So did any areas lose power? I have friends near there
>>
>>111442
RIP in peace, friends.
>>
>>111388
The thing that piss me off the most is that local governance (not the state) thought it was too expensive for them to be bothered with. Meaning they had the money but lol too pricey. Can't even blame the liberals because the surrounding areas is red as fuck
>>
>>111295
A lot of the Bush-era old guard has come out of retirement from the isolated shitposting monasteries of /jp/ and /co/ and irony Twitter to school the alt-right pepetards on the secret arts of shaolin shitposting.

These brats...while they were yelling mic obscenities playing COD4 I was simultaneously derailing five different threads with nothing but a half-dozen proxies and a Windows XP laptop on a public Internet connection. I am 27 and I have devoted my LIFE to the tao of shitposting...
>>
Y'all gonna get soaked
>>
>>111221
>Chico

That's because Chico is north of Oroville. The flood waters are flowing southwest, not north.

There is no reason for Chico to evacuate.
>>
>>111285

Renewable energy has been available for years now. There are countries that run on 90% or more renewable energy, with some closer to 100%. Don't even try to imply that oil drilling and shale drilling are our only future, because there are already plenty of alternatives available, with more alternatives being researched.

Oil drilling and shale drilling poison the surrounding environment and oil wells break pretty damn often.

Having energy doesn't mean jack shit if the drinking water is polluted, the ground and soil is polluted, and the fucking air is toxic to breathe.

I'd also recommend you do even the bare minimum amount of research on how CO2 and the whole carbon cycle works, because I have a funny feeling you have no idea how fucked things are going to be if we don't start making serious efforts to curb our C02 and other greenhouse emissions.

97% of climate scientists have confirmed that human action is contributing overwhelmingly to rising C02 emissions and worsening weather around the world. NASA has also confirmed it.
>>
>>111677
Thank you.
http://www.noaa.gov/media-release/unprecedented-arctic-warmth-in-2016-triggers-massive-decline-in-sea-ice-snow
This report is from December but the warming periods in the Arctic have continued since then …it means warmer temperatures and more moisture in the air everywhere…
Oh, yeah, and rising oceans. Just ask the US Navy.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-climatechange-idUSKCN11K0BC
>>
>>111677
>There are countries that run on 90% or more renewable energy, with some closer to 100%
I tries to find a source to corroborate this. All I found was that the US is actually the furthest ahead on renewable energy already
http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/top-15-countries-using-renewable-energy.html

>Oil drilling and shale drilling poison the surrounding environment and oil wells break pretty damn often.
The fracking industry has been beset by activists screaming that the sky is falling ever since some idiot drilled his well into a natural gas pocket and tried to sue the gas company for it.
>https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/can-fracking-be-done-without-impacting-water/
Outside of a three percent failure rate resulting from higher ups blatently disregarding regulation, the fracking business doesnt really affect the groundwater. The methane in peoples water is why fracking occurs there, not the other way around.

>I'd also recommend you do even the bare minimum amount of research on how CO2 and the whole carbon cycle works, because I have a funny feeling you have no idea how fucked things are going to be if we don't start making serious efforts to curb our C02
Carbon reduction has been in place for years. The US is already back to where we were with CO2 in the early 90s and we are on a downward trend. Whether or not china will comply has yet to be seen, as their renewable energy production is less about environmental impact and more on cost of energy. They still are almost double our output ofhttps://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/global-greenhouse-gas-emissions-data
CO2
>97% meme
You should really read where that number comes from. Most papers from that group were agnostic on whether its caused by people or not.

The climate certainly is changing, anyone arguing otherwise is absolutly ignorant. Its good we are putting in effort to prevent rapid climate change, but you cant just blindly believe enviromental activists on these issues.
>>
>>111005
Do it with the hands you were given, child.
>>
>>111053
nuke plants have failed more often than dams
>>
>>111699
>I tries to find a source to corroborate this.
Norway, Iceland are almost entirely on renewables. Switzerland is on a mix of renewables and unclear.

>but you cant just blindly believe enviromental activists on these issues.
I'd rather believe environmental activists over exxon.
Environmental activists being wrong means we're doing things that need to be done a little too hasty.

Oh wait , exxon admitted they knew aboujt global warming too. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/exxon-knew-about-climate-change-almost-40-years-ago/
>>
>>112259
You couldn't be more wrong.
>>
>>112263
and what do those countries have in common?

>tiny
>tiny population
>defended by someone else (U.S.)
>technologically advanced, harminious for the most part, with lots of spare money because of above

saying "switzerland does it, so the states should do it" is ignorant of exactly how fucking big the united states is. i mean, the states is fucking ENORMOUS and the logistical, maintenance and initial cost requirements of switching even a tiny % of the US to renewables is more than the cost of most of those countries, probably put together.

furthermore, a large part of the US probably isn't even suitable, due to terrain, cloud cover, etc.

switzerland is not the US, not even close and to say so is just silly. even if we started right now in an incredible push to make it near 100% renewable it would probably be centuries before that was complete, and short term the costs are probably astronomical. in the meantime we have to provide freedom of navigation for half the planet, step on a bunch of tinpot dictators trying for nukes, prevent WWIII, etc etc. these aren't all mutually exclusive of course but it takes a shitload of money to control 80% of the planet for switzerland's benefit.
>>
Cali is full of useless ppl anyway. Bunch of liberals who spent money the wrong way and now want their asses saved. Just like when they sold all their drinking water to Nestle then put the state on drought. The leadership in that state should be sent to prison for failure to help the citizen while im sure lining their own pockets at the risk and safety of said ppl.
>>
>>112263
>some countries smaller than US states are able to use the natural resources available to them (Geothermal, Hydroelectric) to supply power to their small nations
>Per ton of carbon, US is still ahead
I mean you are technically correct. But if a single person house has a solar panel, and next to it is an apartment building with 4 of those same solar panels, who is really doing more? Some countries are going to be too massive without the natural features for common clean renewable energy.

Also dont bring up Norway when it comes to green energy to anyone that knows anything about Norway. They may be 99% hydroelectric but their main export is crude oil drilled from the ocean

>Exxon Knew!
According to the sources cited by SA Exxon was a leader in studying the effects of climate change before a couple new hot shot 80s guy CEOs fired their scientists for publishing data on fossil fuels and climate change that lead to a senate meeting. Certainly doesn't excuse their dickery, just something fun to know.

Oil companies tell me to drive my car to work and my electric company tells me keep my house around 58 in winter so my bill doesn't go triple digits. When I look up what environmental activists are telling me to do I get ludicrous advice about chi and Alex Jones tier paranoia about chemicals in the water. The closest to applicable has been to ride my bike to work and tell my local legislature to go solar/wind. http://instituteforenergyresearch.org/analysis/the-myth-of-wind-and-solar-energy-they-are-not-free/
>>
>>112337
The area where this is happening is heavily conservative, as are the local politicians who decided to cut spending on infrastructure there. Don't go trying to blame this on >MUH LIBRUL BOOGEYMAN
>>
>>111473
>>112346
Probably because their money was getting drained by stupid projects and regulations handed down by their San Francisco overlords. I'm not surprised the state didn't needle them over the issue since it probably wasn't their priority either.
>>
>>112339
>Some countries are going to be too massive without the natural features for common clean renewable energy.
please, murrica has lots of deserts they can plaster over with solar. so has china for that matter. only city-states like HK will face difficulties, but they're importing their energy anyway, it's not like they're sitting on tons of fossil resources either.
>>
>>112318
>it would probably be centuries before that was complete
That's retarded and claiming "things can't be done, might as well give up" without evidence.

Turnover of energy infrastructure is a few decades at most, and that's just what happens naturally without any policy incentives. If you force things things can happen much quicker. And planning timeframes are measured in decades anyway. Nobody is saying that you should clean up your act by tomorrow. Just that you should fix things in the next 3 decades by slightly accelerating and shifting the retirement and replacement of power plants as you would do anyway.

>>112339
>When I look up what environmental activists are telling me to do I get ludicrous advice about chi and Alex Jones tier paranoia about chemicals in the water.
Well, I don't know, maybe you got some crazy environmentalists over there or you're reading the equivalent of "aliens are abducting people to anally probe them" folks. More mainstream advice exists too.
Thread posts: 109
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.