[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New research suggests that effort at work is correlated with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

File: 1txtl3pk.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1txtl3pk.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>GIVEN the long history of making racial slurs about the efforts of some workers, any study casting black and Hispanic men as lazier than whites and Asians is sure to court controversy. A provocative new working paper by economists Daniel Hamermesh, Katie Genadek and Michael Burda sticks a tentative toe into these murky waters. They suggest that America’s well-documented racial wage gap is overstated by 10% because minorities, especially men, spend larger portions of their workdays not actually working. After rejecting a number of plausible explanations for why this might be, the authors finally attribute the discrepancy to unexplained “cultural differences”.

>Acutely aware of the sensitivity of these findings, the professors delayed publication until after the presidential election. “I knew full well that Trump and his minions would use it as a propaganda piece,” says Mr Hamermesh, a colorful and respected labor economist. The paper may yet be seized on by those who are keen to root out “political correctness” and are perennially unhappy with current anti-discrimination laws.

https://archive.fo/lGkcl
>>
>Mr Hamermesh received vitriolic messages and was labelled a racist in an online forum popular among economists.

Racists will indeed seize on it to point out that minorities are lazy, but they probably wouldn't have had a high opinion of them in any case so I'm not certain why that's a danger
There's no apparent cause suggested by the results so I don't think it will "convert" anyone to racism. It's something interesting worth investigating; which may only help minorities in the long-run to understand the phenomenon more completely.
>>
>>108567
>Runs own company
>According to this chart you waste 1 minute more a day not working than your white employees
>Fires self
>Wat do
>>
This data was skewed. . Black are definitely far lazier than any race exponentially
>>
Maybe this could be accounted for by factors that include a given race's treatment at the workplace
>>
What was the initial goal of this study in the first place besides causing controversy?
>>
>>108606
In my experience, blacks actually spend much more time working than Hispanics, the difference being the quality of work done while working. Most just soft of half-ass things.
>>
>>108606
Keep in mind, these results are of the population of people that hold standard employment to begin with.
>>
>>108610
There's a lot of research into racial sociology that would be worthwhile avenues, but the vast majority goes unpublished. To say our genetic makeup doesn't influence our behavior is dubious at best, and preventing public research into it makes it impossible to answer if that previous statement is true or false and to what degree it has an effect on things if it is true.

Without this sort of research, we cannot understand why certain phenomena occurs and how we can either utilize it or improve it. For example, it might be today that specific racial groups exhibit less productive days at work. Tomorrow, it might be that these same racial groups also exhibit stronger impact as speakers and artists. We can't move forward however without knowing these things.
>>
>>108620
It seems more like arbitrarily deciding that race is the paramount factor in deciding workplace relationships and totally ignoring other more obvious divisions like class and/or gender.
>>
>>108624
According to this study, a wide swathe of workers was taken from across classes of people, self-employment vs salarymen, and there exists a separate graph for men and women. Did you even read the article, or did you jump to conclusions when you heard the topic?

Even so, the article admits there isn't a clear cause of why it got the findings it did. It suggests that other explanations vs the one many racists would jump to could be that members of minority races are treated different than non-minorities, or that the self-reported nature of workers could've led to bias among some groups to dishonestly report more productivity than others. The entire article was written by an ex-professor who left the University of Texas over the open carry law.
>>
>>108624
Like >>108625 said the study wasn't out with over the top racist reasons and even said that there is no obvious reason as to why their findings are what they are. Something to keep in mind when reading any study like this is that's if they are studying racial/cultural differences (which isn't inherently racist, see anthropology for example) then they are going to be looking at it from a racial/cultural lens. It takes setting aside what you immediately think about studies like this one and actually reading it to determine if it is racist trash or an actual study that doesn't line up with PC culture. Also some of these people are funded to do these things (sometimes by the left sometimes by the right) and arn't out to cause trouble.
>>
>>108567
I'm going to have to say correlation does not equal causation.

Apparently in the UK there is a problem that stems from single parents, and I know that a majority of blacks in the US have been raised by single mothers. This problem probably isn't racial but because there is only one parent and the parent is a shitty one.
>>
>>108620
Our DNA absolutely has an impact on our behavior, however among humans, memetic (cultural) conditioning has vastly more control over behavior. There has always been the debate of nature vs nurture, and at this point, it is widely accepted that both nature and nuture play key roles in resulting behavior patterns. Considering our current understanding of DNA, we don't (or can't) know the exact extent that individual alleles or traits hold over behavior. The greatest adaptation humans have is our ability to change and adapt our behaviors to an infinite number of scenarios or problems. All things considered, even if we were to isolate certain alleles and determine their effect upon behavior, there would almost certainly be so many examples of exceptions that the genetic traits would be dismissed as a minor advantage/disadvantage. The social implications of such research would probably have much greater consequences than the science. But hell, we don't know yet do we?
>>
>>108567
>just want to conduct research
>get labeled a racist for pointing out numbers
Oh no minorities are more likely to spend 2 minutes of their day not working. Someone alert buzzfeed before trump orders another holocaust
>>
>>108678
Don't mention the crime rate among black men either, that makes you a racist too. Facts are racist don't forget it.
>>
>>108606
All this study has proved is that Hispanics are the most honest and Whites are the least.

I don't know why racists waste there time with this so called science.
>>
>>108675
>and the parent is a shitty one.
Single parents don't even need to be any worse at parenting.
The fact that some kids have two parents doubles their chance of getting a good one.
Kids with one parent only have one chance at getting a good parent.
>>
>>108687
And it's likely that that one parent is black so chances are even worse
>>
>>108691

>And it's likely that that one parent is black so chances are even worse

Maybe in the USA. You treat your blacks like shit and then complain when they behave like shit.

America is the land of the hypocrite home of the slaves.
>>
>>108695
You wouldn't talk like that if you had to deal with them too
>>
>>108696

More complaining, seemingly oblivious to the fact that your racism perpetuates the situation you hate.
>>
>>108695
>You treat your blacks like shit and then complain when they behave like shit.

Which of course explains why Black behavior was so much worse prior to the 1960s.

Oh wait, it wasn’t...

And this despite pre-60s American Blacks literally living in an apartheid society with open and institutionalized racism.
>>
>its another poor white trash hates the wrong people blogpost

fuck you altrightards
the 1% piss on you and you drink it like rain
>>
>>108723
Oh good point anon. We should be listening to multimillionaire entertainers and billionaires like soros instead right?
>>
>>108723
>the 1% piss on you and you drink it like rain

They piss on -both- sides you overpartisan fuckalope.
>>
>>108567
>Facts are offensive
>If I don't agree with your findings it's probably fake
>Race is simultaneously not important and the most important thing about someone
>>
>>108681
you just had to go on and shitpost, don't you?
>>
>>108567
>>The Econonist

the same gais who cant see the CAUSAL relationalship between a highly regulated financial sector and a stable economy are going to tell me about CORRELATIONAL relationship?? Fuck you and your shitty corporateblog.
>>
>>109344
>muh gommunism
dropped
>>109295
Any discussion about race has to take into account that, at least in America, there are significant enough cultural differences between the races that culture is almost certainly the deciding factor in these kinds of studies. If we had a hypothetical world where there was an even proportion of people from each race in absolutely every walk of life, then maybe studies like this could be accurately used to push a racist agenda, but the data is conflated by too many other factors to take it to mean anything about race itself.
>>
>>109295
>>Facts are offensive
You call them Facts. I call them Nazi.
>>
>>108567
>“cultural differences”.
>race
will the left ever learn the difference between culture and race?
its really not that hard
>>
>>108681
Did you really think they'd outline the specifics of the statistic research?

The data would be heavily biased. Any half-wit could see that.
>>
>>109358
>will the left ever learn the difference between culture and race?
no because race is based on genetics and chromosome theory is transphobic
>>
>Be white
>Half ass it at work every day
>Stay hired because boss likes me
>Steal stock on way out
Fuck it's good being a pasty-ass straight white male that can fake it
>>
>>108567

Try working any job that has menial labor with today's attitudes. Have had more than one black kid tell me that he had no intention of doing any hard work because he was just waiting on a degree and affirmative action.
>>
>>109358
Culture and race intersect.
>>
>>108698
The beautiful thing about this statement here could just as easily apply to the people you're valiantly defending.

>>108723
Yeah, they should just eat out of the palms of spoiled professional activists who've never worked a day in their lives and masturbate to their own white savior complexes.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.