[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Study provides new evidence that exercise is not key to weight control

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 1

File: 1479375882711.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1479375882711.jpg
1B, 486x500px
An international study led by Loyola University Chicago is providing compelling new evidence that exercise is not the key to controlling weight.

Researchers who studied young adults of African descent from the United States and four other countries found that neither physical activity nor sedentary time were associated with weight gain. The study is published in the journal PeerJ.
"Our study results indicate that physical activity will not protect you from gaining weight," said lead author Lara R. Dugas, PhD, MPH. Dugas is an assistant professor in the Department of Public Health Sciences of Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine.

Physical activity has many proven health benefits, ranging from reducing the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer to improving mental health and mood. People who are physically active tend to be healthier and live longer. But while physical activity burns calories, it also increases appetite, and people may compensate by eating more or by being less active the rest of the day.

Some experts have suggested that a decline in physical activity, especially in the workplace, has been a key contributor to the obesity epidemic. But research such as the new Loyola study, in which physical activity is objectively measured and participants are followed over time, has not found a meaningful relationship between weight gain and physical activity.
The Loyola study is one of the primary outcomes of the Modeling the Epidemiologic Transition Study (METS). Researchers followed 1,944 adults aged 25 to 40 living in five countries: the United States, Ghana, South Africa, Jamaica and Seychelles (an island country east of Africa). The American participants live in Maywood, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago. Participants are predominantly of African descent and represent a broad range of social and economic strata.

Read more at: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-02-evidence-key-weight.html#jCp
>>
Principal investigator of METS and senior author of the Loyola study is Amy Luke, PhD, professor and vice chair of Loyola's Department of Public Health Sciences.

Previous research has found that when people are asked about their physical activity, they tend to overstate the amount they do. To provide a more objective measure, participants wore tracking devices called accelerometers on their waists for a week. The devices measured the wearers' energy expenditure and step count. Researchers also measured participants' weight, height and body fat. After an initial exam, participants were asked to return after one and two years.

At the initial visit, Ghana participants had the lowest average weights (139 pounds for both men and women) and Americans averaged the highest weights (202 pounds for women, 206 pounds for men). Ghanaians also were fitter than Americans. Seventy-six percent of Ghanaian men and 44 percent of Ghanaian women met the U.S. Surgeon General's physical activity guidelines, while only 44 percent of American men and 20 percent of American women met the guidelines. The guidelines recommend doing at least two and a half hours of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise (such as brisk walking) per week.
Surprisingly, total weight gain in every country was greater among participants who met the physical activity guidelines. For example, American men who met the guidelines gained a half pound per year, while American men who did not meet the guideline lost 0.6 pounds.

Researchers did not find any significant relationships between sedentary time at the initial visit and subsequent weight gain or weight loss. The only factors that were significantly associated with weight gain were weight at the initial visit, age and gender.
>>
The study was funded by the National Institutes of Health. It's titled "Accelerometer-measured physical activity is not associated with two-year weight change in African-origin adults from five diverse populations."
In addition to Dugas and Luke, other co-authors of the study include Liping Tong, PhD, Ramon A. Durazo-Arvizu, PhD, David A. Shoman, PhD, Guichan Cao, MS, and Richard S. Cooper, MD, all from Loyola and researchers from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Kwame Nkrumah University, Lausanne University Hospital, Seychelles Ministry of Health, University of West Indies, University of Cape Town, University of Cambridge and Norwegian School of Sport Sciences.
>>
It's 90% diet

Exercise is mostly just good for heart health
>>
>>107302
I imagine diet in combination with exercise is more effective than diet alone. The study suggests that exercise increasing caloric intake is the problem, so presumably if one were to exercise and moderate intake it'd be okay.
>>
>>107305
True, but diet alone is much more effective than exercise alone.

Many food companies want people to believe (and produce campaigns to support the idea) that you can eat whatever the fuck you want and not gain weight if you just exercise. It's important that people don't think this.
>>
>>107282
>sample size less than fucking 2000 total
discarded
>>
>>107302
This. We've known this for decades, diet is way more important than exercise (although resistance training / weight lifting is important for long-term weightloss by increasing BMR). There are fat fucks who eat 2000 calories more than they should every day, you aren't going to reduce that with exercise you have to diet.
>>
>>107282
Exercise is stupid. If you're going to do something physically demanding then be creative about it. Learn how to dance or play the drums or learn a martial art discipline or something. Running on treadmills like hamsters and lifting heavy things like idiots over and over is depressing and meaningless.
>>
>>107310
>I don't understand how statistics work
>>
>>107332
Swimming and climbing are great
>>
>>107305
>presumably if one were to exercise and moderate intake it'd be okay

I feel that this is kind of like saying that clapping your hands while boiling water is fine as long as the stove heating the water is turned on; it doesn't actually matter what else you do in addition to turning the stove on, so anything is fine as long as that is taken care of. On average, appetite increases and decreases along with energy expenditure. Regardless of whether they exercise or not, the impulses given by the body make a person eat at approximately maintenance level or higher calories, if they eat freely without conscious control.

I do feel that exercise + diet should be more effective than diet alone but only by a little. Though I think that people often shoot themselves in the foot by trying to lose weight with a diet and tons of exercise, find doing the exercise unbearable and stop completely. Then they think "I tried to lose weight but it was too hard, I guess I'm one of those people biologically destined to be fat". If only they tried doing the bare minimum to lose weight with just a moderate drop in calories and nothing else, they'd find it's quite tolerable and doesn't even require any time-commitment like exercise.
>>
>>107282
It's calories in vs calories out. Plain and fucking simple. Exercise increases calories out, but also increases your desire to eat. Going Keto, makes it easier to eat the desired calories, exercise and then shred weight. DIET AND EXERCISE! Does no one listen to their doctor?
>>
>>107282
THIS ISN'T THAT FUCKING HARD TO UNDERSTAND. Who pays these people? You just have to burn more calories than you intake. Not that fucking hard.

>Fucking landwhales will use any excuse.
>>
>>107282

Excersize not key to weight control.

But it is key to a healthy decline in weight loss.

Rather than a rapid starvation that actual sets the bodys metabolism into a 'waste not' mode of fat storage.

The secret to weight loss is not eating complex carbs, mammal meat, and changing up so that 70% of your diet, if not more, is (mostly green) plant based.

Then, you simply EAT ALL THE TIME, in small amounts.

that's how you effectively stay thin.

You work, to increase the overall caloric demand by building muscle, so that your debts increase, and your intake of calories stays around 200-300 extra a day (anymore and you might gain in a week, any less and you suffer possible 'muscle loss').

working out is supposed to be for physique and strength. Not loosing weight, unless your increasing caloric debt.
>>
>>107634
>The secret to weight loss

Don't believe the broscience. Or maybe this is your personal anecdote? Eating times and choice of foods have, on average, only small effects to how the energy is partitioned to tissues, assuming the macronutrients acquired through the foods are the same.

I consider the basic template to be getting 1.8g of protein per kg of bodyweight, fat 20-30% of calories, the rest carbs and ~13g of fiber per 1000kcal of food through whatever foods at whatever times. Plus all the necessary micronutrients. Total calories are adjusted through carbs and fat.
>>
Do we need studies for that now?
Of course its not enough.
You need to limit your food intake.

If you eat two jars of nutella a day+ regular meals you will NEVER be able to burn that off with exercise.

Moving around is bonus, but you gotta change the way you eat.
>>
>>107332
lifting weights is infinitely more fun than some homo shit like dancing.

also makes you look and feel better.
>>
These researchers must be pretty brain dead to tell us what we already know. You burn calories and fat, then you get hungry because you just lost stored energy. You then do NOT EAT LIKE A COW and still eat like usual, you don't gain fat because you do not eat more then you lose, then you live a happy skinny life. NOT HARD TO NOT EAT EVERYTHING.
>>
>>107332
Everyone has their way of exercising, yours is just how sissys exercise. Lifting weights and running push your muscles to the max and stretch them out. That is all exercising is, stretching your muscles until they form small tears that are replaced by more muscle to fill in the tears. Dancing and drumming just gets rid of the stored energy and calories you get from eating a lot.
>>
>>107332
Having an easy way to quantify your fitness progress is great though. As someone who has done everything you listed, pure excercise has made me way happier and more fit because I can actually see my improvement. It's also way faster so I can actually do shit other than excercise. Dance/MA/etc are a decent way to find interesting people though, for anybody who cares more about the social aspect.
>>
>>107282
Of course strenuous exercise is bad. Only RETARDS would buy into the exercise fad.
The retards consume x amount of nutrition per day and use it all running really fast "going nowhere." They're so stupid they think their bodies are going to use fat before whatever healthy stuff they ate containing glucose.
Then there are the completed brain damaged guys lifting weights. Their brains were always damaged and it only gets worse when their bodies drain all the glucose from the brain.
>>
>>107282
Duhh, diet is at least 80% of your lard problem. Eat like shit, look like shit.
>>
>>107282
>muscle weighs three times as much as fat.
This explains the whole article, that didn't even mention the changes in percent bodyfat just weight.
>>
Great. Another weight loss study that shows nothing we haven't known for thirty years, and gets presented as "you don't need to exercise!". Weight loss is simple fucking math, it has always been this way. Fat people have no self control and will look for any excuse they can find to justify their poor health, this too, we have known for decades. Fat people are literally the only reason I don't think we should have socialized health care in the US.
>>
>>107611
>what i think is true is scientific fact
now anon...
>>
>>108041
this can apply to

>>107720
>>107723
>>
>>107335
>Researchers who studied young adults of African descent
>>
It's carbohydrates you fucking idiots. This has been known since the 1700s when low carb high fat diets were prescribed to patients all they up to the 1970s when the us decided to be stupid.

Carbs cause insulin resistance which causes your body to stop burning fat. This makes you hungry for more carbs which causes you to store fat. The cycle continues until your a worthless fat fuck.
>>
>>107282
If you want to lose weight, exercise won't help much. The calories you burn while exercising are almost insignificant compared to the calories you don't burn when you simply don't overeat so goddamn much. And a fat person isn't going to be able to exercise enough to burn a meaningful amount of calories. It's still recommended to exercise when you're losing weight, though, for the simple reason that it prevents your body from breaking down muscle too much. A proper diet+ some form of exercise is the way to go.
>>
>>107540
The thing with exercise is that it has many other beneficial effects beyond weight management. Sure it may not be the best way to reduce weight, but the added effect of stress relief more then makes up for this. If weight loss is all you are going for, then diet is perfectly acceptable, but you are really missing out on the benefits of staying fit.

I do agree though, people go too hard and burn out. Even doing some light cardio and core workouts is enough for most people.
>>
>>107282
They eat nutritiously--sometimes--and then burn all that energy away by going nowhere fast. Stupid people believe the most retarded things. It's not as if the body will use fat (burn fat) if there is better glucose in their intestines to burn. No wonder they snore and snort by forgetting to breathe.
>>
>>108492
Oh, exercise is absolutely great for health. Even just going for walks, if you're sedentary all time, does wonders. It does seem to be very common belief that weight loss means doing exercise. What I really wish is that this mantra was changed to "diet for weight loss, exercise for health".

I think the cause of this is that people are unwilling to be honest about why they want to change their bodies; they want to be more attractive. So they slap on the appearance of seeking to be healthy in order to appear more admirable. And that's why they burn out: they do things they aren't motivated to do and grow tired of it all.
>>
>>108502
Exactly. Health and fitness should be done for yourself before anyone else. Seeking to change your appearance in order to live up to the unrealistic expectations of others is foolish
>>
>>108072
^Important^
>>
No fucking shit, this news?
t. /fit/
>>
>>107282
>Start fit camp
>Garunteed results or your money back
>Lock them in room with water bib
>Let them out when they're not embarrassing to humankind
>>
>>107332
>Running on treadmills like hamsters
Guess what some people do to train for marathons or stay fit until the weather's good for a running commute.

>lifting heavy things
Guess what some people do in order to be better at their chosen sport (which includes various disciplines of lifting).

And for both, guess what some people just thoroughly enjoy and participate in, either alone or within a bonded group of likeminded people.

Fuck off you elitist prick. If you wanna play drums, play drums. If you wanna lift, lift. No one thing is better than any other, and all of them are better than nothing.
>>
>>107634
>Rather than a rapid starvation
You can go on a caloric deficit without fucking starving yourself.

>Then, you simply EAT ALL THE TIME, in small amounts.
Broscience as fuck, the time you eat means literally nothing. Eat all the time if that suits you, do intermittent fasting if that suits you.
>>
>mfw an american was fat near me
>>
>>107332
>lifting is depressing
>Says no one that has spent any time seriously lifting, ever.
>>
>>107282

Two years ago i got into running. I ran 3-6 miles a day, taking the weekends off. for 4-5 months straight. I ate alot (most of it was unprocessed healthy food), i wasn't stuffing myself until i puked, simply eating enough to satisfy my hunger. In the 4-5 months i gained around 15-20 lbs, and it wasn't all muscle, most of it was fat. I was in great cardiovascular shape, but chubby. It wasn't until i changed my diet and lowered the amount i was eating, that i was able to lose the weight and get lean.
>>
>>107818
100% agree
>>
>>107282
"Chicago is providing compelling new evidence that exercise is not the key to controlling weight."

>no shit, gas>>107282
>>
>>107332

Drummers
Get
Fat
Asswipe
>>
>>107305
>>107309
It's diet. I'm in one of those diet clubs and being in my late 20 I'm one of the youngest. I do keep a diet and exercise but many members are women in their 50 that don't exercise at all. Generally avoiding junk food is easier than trying to burn it by exercising.
>>
Literally all you do is eat less than you burn, and you burn about 2000 calories daily just by existing.

This coming from someone who literally just ate 1700 calories and lost 115 lbs.
>>
>>107332
>Running on treadmills like hamsters and lifting heavy things like idiots over and over is depressing and meaningless.
.t fatass mgee
>>
of course it's not...
One can eat exercise 5 hours a day and get fat bcause of eating too much.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.