[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

US Army Wants Biodegradable Bullets That Sprout Plants

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 0

http://www.livescience.com/57461-army-wants-biodegradable-bullets.html

>Not only are bullets a physical hazard, but they're an environmental hazard, too. At US Armytraining facilities around the world, hundreds of thousands of spent shells litter proving grounds. Because there is no efficient way to clean up the shells, they're left where they fall.

But that's a problem. The shells, which contain metal and other chemicals, can rust and pollute soils and groundwater.

The DoD wants to do something about it, though. They're soliciting proposals for biodegradable bullets "loaded with specialized seeds to grow environmentally beneficial plants that eliminate ammunition debris and contaminants."

Such materials best suited for these bullets could include the same biodegradable plasticsused to make water bottles or plastic containers. Or it could be some other material altogether.

According to the request for proposal, the US Army Corps of Engineers' Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory has already developed and tested seeds that can be embedded into a biodegradable composite. They've been bioengineered to germinate only after they've been in the ground for several months.
>>
Proposals are being solicited until February 8, after which time, the chosen contractors will produce the biodegradable bullets as part of a three-phase process. In phase one, the contractor will focus on making 40 mm to 120 mm training rounds. "Bullets" might be a bit of an understatement here. Even the smaller 40 mm rounds, which are essentially grenades, are pretty hefty (see image below). The 120 mm rounds are even bigger; they're used in tanks.

Phase II includes developing a prototype and the means to manufacture it and phase III has the biodegradable round transitioning to use at the Army training facilities.

The plants that grow from the seeds could also help remove soil contaminants or feed local wildlife. According to the proposal, "Animals should be able to consume the plants without any ill effects."

In other words, these bullets won't kill.
>>
>>103179
It's good way to mark up prices for ammunition. Awesome way to gouge the tax payer some more.
>>
>>103179
instead of wasting millions on a daydream why not switch to pure iron/steel shells/bullets they'll just rust, FeO isn't that toxic and every lifeform has some way of dealing with it biochemically

or SiO2, hard & strong, non-bioactive and it erodes into sand
>>
>>103191
>why not switch to pure iron/steel shells/bullets

Because none of those materials are viable. You'll shoot out the rifling in any service weapon in less than 500 rounds using those, meaning your weapon accuracy is now total ass.
>>
>>103189
>less demand for existing bullets
>prices get marked up
???
If anything the companies would have to cater more to the consumer than a government contract. Airsoft has been using biodegradable stuff for years.

Also,
>At US Armytraining facilities
It's just plinking shit.
>>
>>103179
What happened to "Solve the root of the problem?"

How about not wasting ammo?
How about not invading countries?
How about not making other countries hate you so that you dont have to protect yourself?
How about not creating a country that is a breeding ground for delusional schoolshooters?

I am not that smart, but these solutions seem more effective then making bullets that sprout fucking plants?

Maybe the USA needs to take an example of Bhutan, they seem to be doing alright. Nobody cares or gives a fuck about Bhutan which is nice cause then its less attractive for terrorists and everyone can live in peace.
The richer and more powerful you become the less people will be jelous of you. Having much whealth is literally a magnet for attracting enemies.
>>
>>103193
These are being proposed for 40mm grenades. .223 or .308 would be too small to effectively put seeds in anyway.
>>
>>103179
They've already done it with shotgun shells
>>
>>103214
>Just stop being a first world country with money and success
>That's all you need to do, drop your modern conveniences, make your entertainment limited to horseshoes and archery, then make your only export a hydroelectric dam.

The only thing I like about that immensely retarded suggestion is having Thunder Dragon King Trump as our leader
>>
>>103217
Honest question: Are you happy?

Americans seem to be not so happy, even with all their "whealth and success"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Planet_Index

What's the use of whealth if you aren't happy?
There is no difference between a rich unhappy person and a poor unhappy person.
Neither is there a difference between a happy rich person and a happy poor person.
What does it even mean to be a 'succesful' country if most of your population is not happy with their lives?

I am not telling you to live in a cave or something, but honestly... How can you talk of success if you aren't satisfied with yourself? It seems just a lie one tells oneself.

If you are genuinely happy and satisfied or content with your life then good for you. I am happy for you. Keep at it.
>>
>>103221
You assume quite a bit about me based on not wanting to drop into the UNs LDI to protect myself from a threat that's less likely to kill me than lightning.
>>
>>103214
Honestly, they're probably talking about training ranges in the US. Those ranges get millions of rounds put down them a month, it'd be a good solution to bases fucking up the area around them.
>>
>>103191
Go ahead and drink some water slightly contaminated with iron oxide, no seriously do it
>>
>>103214
sometimes you have to shoot people because you run out of non-violent options to deal with the violent.

there may or may not be a higher price per round but there's also a price to ignoring EPA.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkV8xp-JFlA
>>
>>103214
>What happened to "Solve the root of the problem?"

That's was my first thought, but it isn't military un-intelligence way. If the public didn't have any guns would the military put down their guns? Not that, they can't put down their manhood.
>>
>>103221
Honestly, technology isn't the root of our unhappiness, technology just changes the landscape of what makes us unhappy. In the same vein, "Technology in and of itself has no net benefit or detriment to society's problems; it merely changes the problems we face into something else."

I would say that technology has done wonderful things such as allow us to live longer and more healthy lives, expanded our ability to travel and discover and communicate, but at the same time has contributed to a growing isolation with one another and a breakdown of localized societies causing individuals to compete with one another on a global scale rather than a regional one.
>>
>>105945
>20 years ago, friends and family talking about my job in systems administration
>"I don't know how you can stare at a screen all day."
>20 years later everyone has their face glued to their phones and tablets

ha ha ha
>>
>>103214

war is a part of human existence. it always will be. it should not be desired that it were otherwise.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 0

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.