[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

After Silent Period, Park Service Says It Regrets 2 Trump-Related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 1

File: C2oHm2oXcAEvdzo[1].jpg (70KB, 664x414px) Image search: [Google]
C2oHm2oXcAEvdzo[1].jpg
70KB, 664x414px
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/21/us/national-park-service-trump-tweet.html

>The National Park Service said on Saturday it regretted having retweeted two Twitter posts, including one comparing the size of crowds at President Trump’s inauguration on Friday with President Obama’s in 2009.

>After retweeting the posts at issue, both of which originated from nongovernment accounts, the agency stopped its Twitter activity for several hours on Friday and Saturday.

>“Out of an abundance of caution, while we investigated the situation involving these tweets, the Department of Interior’s communications team determined that it was important to stand down Twitter activity,” Tom Crosson, a National Park Service spokesman, said in a statement. The Park Service is part of the Interior Department.

>According to CNN, the Interior Department circulated an email to employees on Friday saying that representatives of the Trump administration had ordered the shutdown.

>The Park Service resumed posting messages to its Twitter account by midmorning on Saturday, apologizing for the “mistaken” retweets.

>In his statement, Mr. Crosson said the two retweets “were inconsistent with the agency’s approach to engaging the public through social media.”

>The messages in question, which the Park Service deleted, included one from Binyamin Appelbaum, a reporter for The New York Times, that showed side-by-side aerial photos of the National Mall during Mr. Obama’s first inauguration and Mr. Trump’s on Friday.

>Based on similar photos, a crowd-size expert made an initial estimate that Mr. Trump’s inauguration drew a crowd on the Mall about one-third the size of the one at Mr. Obama’s event. Mr. Trump had predicted an “unbelievable, perhaps record-setting turnout” for his inauguration.

>>
>The Park Service account also retweeted a comment about the White House website, which was changed after Mr. Trump was sworn in to include the new administration’s goals and priorities. In the process, it eliminated the Obama administration’s sections on climate change and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender issues.

>The Park Service stopped releasing crowd estimates for gatherings on the Mall after it estimated that 400,000 people had joined the Million Man March in 1995, which drew accusations of racism and threats of a lawsuit from the Nation of Islam, which thought the figure was too low.

>Congress subsequently passed a bill barring the service from conducting counts of crowd sizes. The agency did not release a number after Mr. Obama’s first inauguration, but said it believed it was the “biggest crowd ever” to pack into the area.

>In its Twitter message on Saturday, the Park Service posted a photo of a buffalo, an animal that adorns the logo of the Interior Department. The agency said it looked forward “to continuing to share the beauty and history of our parks with you.”
>>
Damn right they regret it now.

Park Service might have avoided cuts to their budget if they'd kept a low profile.

Instead Trump can paint them as enemies when he's slashing there funding to pay for the wall.
>>
Why should they care? Call it like it is, nobody likes Trump. I'm sure that climate change initiative he puts in place will help our parks
>>
>>102242
>Nobody likes trump
>Trump wins presidency
???
>>
>>102250

>I don't like Trump
>I don't like Clinton
>I guess I vote third party
>wow that asshole that I don't like won

Alternatively,
>I don't like Trump
>but I don't like Clinton slightly more
>I guess I vote Trump
>I still don't like Trump

This also ignoring the fact that Clinton won the popular vote, because by merely bringing this up gets people absurdly angry and derails the conversation (which I have now ironically done by mentioning it here).
>>
>>102251

Shit I forgot the last version:
>I don't like Trump
>I don't like Clinton
>I'm not going to vote this year
>wow that asshole that I don't like won

I can't help but read this one in DSP's voice.
>>
>>102251
>clinton won the popular vote, therefor by my logic no one voted for trump, therefore nobody likes trump
>>
>>102255
>clinton won the popular vote, therefore by my logic it means 7 million illegal aliens voted
>>
>>102255

Nowhere in there did I say nobody voted for Trump, in fact the second scenario explicitly states that someone voted for Trump despite not liking Trump. "Nobody likes Trump" is an exaggeration used by the first poster since clearly Trump has supporters, but they are by no means the majority of the nation.

You can win the presidency and still lose the popular vote, similarly you can win the presidency without a majority of Americans liking you.

>>102260

And this is why I was super afraid to mention the popular vote thing, since it's just a shitsorm-in-waiting.
>>
>>102251
I absolutely despise Clinton and would be shitting on her had she won, but I hated Trump even more, so your're right there. We had a terrible campaign cycle, and even the third party candidates weren't that great. Johnson was probably the most likable and honest of all of them, even if I totally disagree with his economics.
>>
>>102268
>exaggeration

please be precise in what you mean. "Nobody likes Trump" is a factually false statement. If you want to say factually false things, I would suggest going to another board, because this one prizes objectivity and accuracy.
>>
>>102284

I'll be precise: it's hyperbole, something which everyone should immediately understand to be a figure of speech and not precise scientific language, as well as comprehend the author's intent given the context without taking it literally.

Also this is literally an argument about semantics, not facts.
>>
>>102260
Don't for get fictional characters and the dead
>>
>>102242
>nobody likes Trump
I thin Trump is a man child and now his press guy has also shown he is a man child.
But to say nobody likes Trump is manifestly wrong.

>Has puberty kicked in yet?
>Go to /b/, you will enjoy it more
>It's for 12 year olds
>>
>>102236
>Park Service might have avoided cuts to their budget if they'd kept a low profile

What are the odds Trump wouldn't even know that department even existed if it wasn't for this?
>>
>>102342
0/100 he has advisors for a reason anon.
>>
>>102342
Trumps a real estate man, he will have had experience with then before I would imagine.

They could have been on his list of hated government agencies before the tweets
>>
>>102236
It's Department of Interior, they always get their head put on the chopping block while somehow still managing to be one of the most popular government programs.
>>
>>102242
I know you're saying nobody to generalize, but he has huge bases of support all over the country.

You can't discredit millions of people voting what they feel is right, just because it's not in line with your views.

If you voted then it's time to accept that your candidate didn't win and move on. If you really disagree then lucky you there's an election in 2 years.

>>102165
They probably had cuts coming anyways, but either way I wish these institutions would just leave all the politics out. Especially the fucking parks. That's where I go to get away from it all.
>>
>>102236
They should have their funding cut.

Hundreds of people disappear in our national parks, BUT THE NPS DOESN'T EVEN KEEP A RECORD.

Fuck them. Billion+ dollar budget for nothing.
>>
>>102472
Get rid of the NPS and all those other alphabet soup agencies.
>>
>>102472
National Parks are wild places, you go in there at your own risk. NPS doesn't have the manpower to rescue every stupid tourist who doesn't adequately prepare. They try their best with what they have, which isn't a whole lot.
>>
>>102165
Wait, so let me get this straight. The park service, which no longer reports inauguration turnout after a law was passed in 1995 because malcolm-x-like people were offended, decided to imply that Trump's inauguration had low turnout through live tweet.

I see why the park service apologized. It doesn't even have an excuse nor a leg to stand on.
>>
>>102732

FAKE NEWS - Park Service tweets 'turnout' for event they help manage, Trump provides 'alternative facts'.
>>
>>102741
Wait, so it is fake news because it didn't happen or because it doesn't matter?
>>
>>102744
it's fake news because it's wrong
>>
>>102744
The latter mostly.
>>
>>102342
Trump is very well known for having a lot to do with central park. He knows a lot about parks
>>
>>102760
I hope you're joking because a city park is not the same as a national park.
>>
>>102777
And I was referring to your faggot ass saying he doesn't even know the park service exists. Yes he obviously would especially because of that.

I hope you're joking about all that cock you suck on
>>
>>102788
The National Park Service has nothing to do with Central Park in NYC. It's managed by The New York City Department of Parks and Recreation.
>>
>>102795
And yet I somehow think that a real estate guy that works with parks, even if its a local park, doesn't know about the national park service because you're too busy sucking cock
>>
>>102812
>that works with parks
That's a funny way to spell 'builds golf courses'.
>>
>>102818
There's a state Park named after him
>>
>>102826
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/donald-j-trump-state-park--not-exactly.-486748227809
>>
>>102829
It's a park
>>
>>102467
>If you voted then it's time to accept that your candidate didn't win and move on

i actually agree, but he keeps bringing it up

and people talk about whatever he tweets, so maybe he should accept facts and move on himself

i should add - what we all move on to will be assessing his presidency
so lets go
>>
>>102835
OK he just withdrew us from TTP I think it's going quite well
>>
>>102832
It was scrubbed of the NY State parks website and it's closed.
>>
>>102826
Meaning he donated the land, not that he's actively managing it
>>
>>102837
>be trump
>donate 400+ acres of land to state
>it only costs $2,500 a year to maintain it
>state closes it because they're dumb and poor
>Trump says fine if you're closing it give it back to me and I won't let it be a shithole

color me shocked a liberal state couldn't even handle that l. Meanwhile he saved a good chunk of central park himself

But you're right he doesn't know what the national park service is
>>
>>102844
>Donald Trump, for whom the park was named, purchased the property for $2 million in the 1990s, and donated it in 2006.[1][2] Trump donated the land after he was unable to gain town approvals to develop a private golf course on the property.[3] At the time of its donation, Trump claimed the parcel was worth $100 million, and he used the donation as a tax write-off.[4]

>New York State announced the park's closure due to budget cuts in February 2010.[5] It was questioned whether the closure was necessary since the operating budget for the park was only $2,500 a year and it was maintained by workers from the nearby Franklin D. Roosevelt State Park.[3] Although Trump threatened to take the parkland back after the closure was announced,[3] his attempt was unsuccessful and the land remained in the control of the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.[6]

>An attempt to convert a portion of the park's French Hill section for use as a dog park in 2010 revealed that at least one of the park's abandoned buildings contained asbestos.[7] By 2012, the planned dog park remained on hold due to difficulties raising funds for fences and asbestos abatement.[8]

>As of 2015, the park remains officially closed and is not listed at the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation park locator,[9] although signs along the nearby Taconic State Parkway direct visitors to Donald J. Trump State Park.[4][10] During a 2015 visit by The Rachel Maddow Show there were no signs of any recent upkeep; instead, the publicly accessible land was found to contain crumbling graffiti-covered buildings, empty map kiosks, and weed-choked parking lots.[11]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_J._Trump_State_Park
>>
>>102847
How does this disagree with any of my points?
>>
>>102851
Why does a response have to disagree?
>>
>>102855
because 4chan
>>
>>102851
Wasn't trying to disagree, was trying to provide context to your assertion that " a liberal state couldn't even handle that".
>>
>>102857
I think it's nice to have some additional context.

>>102856
Terrible reason for anything tbh.
>>
>>102788
I never said that he didn't know the NPS existed, that was another anon. I was referring to your assertion that, because he donated money to Central Park and donated land for a state park somehow means that he actually knows a lot about parks. Which is just plain stupid.
>>
>>102260
I could get like a couple dozen or even a few hundred, but millions? There are only ~11 million illegal immigrants in the US right now and almost 2 million are under 18. Plus it would require mass mobilization and public movements to get even half of those remaining to vote-only around 5 million. /pol/ is retarded.
>>
>>102524
>NPS doesn't have the manpower
Yeah they actually do. They have an enormous budget and their own police force.

Why can't they keep a list of missing people? It would be easy, but the average park worker isn't responsible for policies.

This is why we need to drain the swamp.
>>
>>102883
Having actually worked for the NPS at several parks, they don't. Some large parks have seasonal rescue staff on employ (Yosemite & Yellowstone for instance), but most parks have a handful of law enforcement rangers and many of those are only seasonal employees. I was on the rescue team for my parks because they needed the manpower in case of emergency and I was a biological science tech. In fact, most of the work is done by seasonal employees as there are very few permanents in park positions. One job I had I was 1 of 35 seasonals for that year.

Larger rescue efforts require calling in the national guard, other parks, and volunteers into the mix. Rescue efforts are based on where the person went missing and how long it has been since they've gone missing. Places like the wilderness inside of The Badlands for instance, are notorious hiker swallowers because of the terrain, which also hampers rescue attempts. After a a certain period of time it's futile to go look for someone anymore as they are probably dead.

As for reporting. There is an incident management system that is localized to each park, but no readily accessible centralized database of park incidents. It's basically used to keep a record local to the park and to generate a report for the year end. There used to be a intra-agency news section on the NPS-insider website where employees could submit articles, but the guy who edited that section of the site retired and it was discontinued.
>>
>>102977
Also, I know you're referring to that guy who thinks Bigfoot is responsible for all the missing people in the parks and I hope you don't think that Bigfoot is real.
>>
>>102977
You are outlining some of the reasons we need to drain the swamp.

The NPS is a massive waste of money.

>>102980
He never said that. Neither did I.
>>
>>102985
The NPS generates billions in revenue.

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/socialscience/vse

>In 2015, park visitors spent an estimated $16.9 Billion in local gateway regions while visiting NPS lands across the country. These expenditures supported a total of 295.3 Thousand jobs, $11.1 Billion in labor income, $18.4 Billion in value added, and $32 Billion in economic output in the national economy
>>
>>102990

Why is it they always want to cut the agencies that actually generate money? Between this and the IRS it's like they hate money.
>>
>>102991
They hate the government spending taxpayer money. Tariffs are fine though.
>>
>>102991
Because going after the biggest wasteful spender, the Department of Defense, is seen as unpatriotic

Still looking for that lost $7.5 trillion they managed to lose.
>>
>>102993
>he thinks they actually lost that money and it wasn't spent on unaccountable black DARPA projects
>>
>>102990
I know. Which makes it even more infuriating that they do so little you protect park visitors.

Just keep a list of missing people. How the fuck are they not already doing that?

It would be nice to know if a kid disappeared from the exact spot you're planning to camp on. If anything, they hide this information.
>>
>>102994
http://www.reuters.com/investigates/pentagon/#article/part2

DoD accountants were told to make up numbers so everything squared. DARPA funding is included in the budget under a blind item and doesn't account for trillions missing.
>>
>>102995
They do, but like I said it's not a public list. It would also just scare the shit out of people if it was public.

Really, most of these disappearances is due to a lack of common sense and preparedness because people think it's like taking a stroll in the city park.
>>
>>103005
Fucking Bigfoot apologist
>>
>>103005
>It would also just scare the shit out of people if it was public.
Is there gore pics of people that got eaten by mountain lions and bears on there?
>>
>>103023
He's full of crap. they don't keep a list at all.
>>
>>103023
Not to my knowledge
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.