[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

EU leaders 'astonished' by Trump anti-NATO comments

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 1

File: nato-bayrak[1].jpg (145KB, 1200x720px) Image search: [Google]
nato-bayrak[1].jpg
145KB, 1200x720px
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2017/01/16/world/europe/ap-eu-germany-trump.html

>BERLIN — European Union nations reacted with surprise and defiance Monday to comments by President-elect Donald Trump, who said in an interview that he believed NATO was "obsolete" and that more member states would leave the 28-nation EU.

>German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier, speaking ahead of an EU foreign ministers meeting, said Trump's view on NATO and criticism that allied members weren't paying their fair share has "caused astonishment."

>His French counterpart Jean-Marc Ayrault added that the best response to such an interview was simple — Europeans uniting.

>In Berlin, Chancellor Angela Merkel said Trump's positions have been "long known" but added: "I think we Europeans have our fate in our own hands."

>"I'm personally going to wait until the American president takes office, and then we will naturally work with him on all levels," she told reporters.

>Though Trump had made similar comments during his tempestuous election campaign, a repetition of the same points still came as a bit of a surprise since his choice for defense secretary, retired Marine Gen. James Mattis, stressed his support for the alliance in his U.S. congressional confirmation hearings last week.

>Trump's views, in an interview with German daily Bild and The Times of London, contradict Mattis, Steinmeier said.

>Trump indicated he was indifferent to whether the EU stays together or not, a sharp break from the Obama administration, which encouraged British people to vote to remain in the EU in the June referendum.
>>
>"I believe others will leave ... I do think keeping it together is not gonna be as easy as a lot of people think," Trump said in the interview.

>The British exit from the EU would "end up being a great thing," he said.

>British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said it's "very good news that the United States of America wants to do a good free trade deal with us and wants to do it very fast."

>Trump was less kind to German industry officials, saying car manufacturers including BMW could face tariffs of up to 35 percent if they set up plants in Mexico instead of in the U.S. and try to export the cars to the U.S.

>Such tariffs would make "the American auto industry worse, weaker and more expensive," Sigmar Gabriel, Germany's economy minister, told Bild.

>Gabriel suggested Europeans exhibit more self-confidence in dealing with Trump. "We're not weak and inferior," he said.

>BMW said Monday that the company would stick to its plans to produce cars in Mexico.

>"The production is aimed at the world market," BMW said, according to the German news agency dpa. "Therefore the plant in Mexico will complement ... the production plants in Germany and China."
>>
>Despite Trump's latest threat, BMW won't budge on Mexican plant

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/16/news/companies/trump-bmw-mexico/
>>
>despite a member of Trump's cabinet supporting NATO, Europeans shocked Trump still doesn't support NATO.
One of his campaign points was to not be the world police for free anymore. Between this and the bill to get out of the UN (it's the 11th time it's been attempted, hopefully it'll go through) it should surprise nobody that Trump is of the firm belief that dissolving these alliances will benefit America
>>
>>102758
>it should surprise nobody that Trump is of the firm belief that dissolving these alliances will benefit America
It only surprises people who expected Trump to surround himself with people who know better.
>>
>>102761
Exactly what positives do the UN and NATO do for the US? NATO is the US subsidizing Europe's defense (http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/15/news/nato-spending-countries/) while the UN is so toothless it couldn't stop a battalion of machete wielding Hutus. It's a foreign expenditure that doesn't benefit the American people
>>
>>102761
Tough luck, maybe those Yuro shitholes can start to spend money on their own defense instead of blowing all their cash on welfare and illiterate 3rd world rapists instead of relying on Daddy US.
>>
If the US left NATO the rest of us would probably be safer.

The last time the alliance was triggered we went to Afghanistan.

Next time it could be China.
>>
Hey, didn't the US get a bunch of support from our NATO buddies when 9/11 happened? I forget where I saw that, but that seems like a big deal.
>>
>>102775
We invaded a middle eastern country based on said country not disarming weapons we later discovered they never had. It was also more of a UN resolution than a NATO one. Either way US is just too much of the alliances power both diplomatically and militarily; their removal would allow remaining member countries to act without the majority vote being held by the United States.
>>
>>102778
The UN HQ location is definitely a problem, as there is precident that the US can decide who they allow on American soil since a diplomat from Abkhazia was refused a visa on grounds that the US didn't recognise his country as a sovereign nation.
>>
>>102782
Surely no other country would ever do this, only the evil United States.
>>
>>102783
European countries have certainly shown themselves to be more accepting than the US when it comes to foreigners.
>>
>>102782
>since a diplomat from Abkhazia was refused a visa on grounds that the US didn't recognise his country as a sovereign nation.
That's because Abkhazia is a Russian-occupied part of Georgia. Only Russia and two or three other client states of theirs recognize it as an independent country.
>>
>>102785
Good joke. Enjoy losing your worthless wannabe US federal government over that.
>>
>>102786
It was during a meeting on a conflict between two states, with the UK backing Abkhazia as well. Only one side of the conflict was allowed to speak to the UN
>>
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/nato-is-a-terror-organization-says-turkeys-ruling-akp-deputy-tayyar.aspx?PageID=238&NID=108857&NewsCatID=338
>>
>>102770
>maybe those Yuro shitholes can start to spend money on their own defense instead of blowing all their cash on welfare

has your fanaticism blinded you? Did you see what you just wrote?
>>
>>100407
EU leaders are cucks end of.
>>
>>102809
Oh yeah, I'm just really fanatical in my belief that a country's foremost priority is it's own self defense, and not putting the entire population and every stinking Muslim from Shitistan on the dole.
>>
>>102807
AKP = shit.
>>
>>102809
>US puts more into NATO than every other member state combined then doubled
>Member nations that arnt the US spend their budgets on healthcare, education and handouts.

Maybe Americans should care more about their American tax dollars benefiting America. Europeans can stand another 5% out of their paychecks to protect themselves.
>>
>>102820
>to protect themselves.

What was Afghanistan?
>>
>>102820
>Europeans can stand another 5% out of their paychecks to protect themselves.
lol tell greekfags to pay denbts
>>
>>102821
A CIA operation successfully tricking NATO into further destabilizing the Middle East.
>>
>>102828
>Feel when they didn't succeed in killing every last Muslim

Now you sniveling Yuros are trying to save these things, and they repay you with rape and murder. Sad!
>>
>>100406
Not surprised, he always questioned the return on investment of NATO.
>>
>>100406
>>"I'm personally going to wait until the American president takes office, and then we will naturally work with him on ALL LEVELS," Merkel told reporters.

Now this is funny!

She obviously doesn't realize trump the precedent (sic) is too shallow to have levels; unless the bottom of the barrel is considered a level.

At least some women are smart enough to see that he's dirty and ignorant: to our mothers, our wives and our daughters. Too bad there weren't more men speaking out against his filthy mouth.
>>
>>102767
Here is a link full of reasons

https://www.state.gov/p/io/rm/2011/171889.htm
>>
>>102956
>404 page not found
>>
>>100406
>who said in an interview that he believed NATO was "obsolete"

And cf course Trump's position is word for word what Putin's public position on NATO has been.
>>
>>102782
the Un has been considering relocating it's headquarters for a while now, even before Trump. this would just push it faster
>>
>>102902
8/10
very good post.
please keep it elsewhere
>>
>>100406
There hasn't been war between major EU countries and Russia since WWII. They should just stop prepping for war and just keep going with the established peace. NATO "has" become obsolete.
>>
>>102761

Why the fuck should the US keep spending money on Europe? Especially when Europeans are so fucking quick to brag about how much better than the US they are?

If you're so much better, why do you need the US to pay for the defense of your nations? What benefit do you give the US for doing it? What do they gain from protecting you? The EU provides very little. TYou provide some nice cars, and nice clothes, but not much else.

Food? Australia
Resources? Their own, and Australia
Manufacturing? Mainland Asia
Technology? Japan

Europe provides nothing, and if America stops defending you, you're going to fall faster than any empire in history. Because you've already fallen. Your economies have begun to cannibalize each other, your populations are being usurped, your governments can't even lead.

And frankly your collapse couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people, you're reaping your reward for raping your way across everyone else, and then pissing it all away to try and prove just how virtuous you are. Fuck Western Europe.
>>
>>103045
Yes, instead let's give it all to Russia who has an incredible track record of peace, prosperity and human rights.

See the thing about you is that you're throwing out a bunch of jingoistic nonsense, hoping we won't notice that it is nonsense, blaming the sons for the sins of the fathers and calling for blood.

As for my part, as a proud American who is interested in preserving a liberal democratic presence in the world I would defend Europe as readily as I would defend Canada or my own soil from the malign influence of foreign powers.

Sincerely, fuck you. Present your alternative facts elsewhere.
>>
>>103045
Why the fuck should the US keep spending money on Europe? Especially when Europeans are so fucking quick to brag about how much better than the US they are?

Americans gain more from having air force bases deployed all over continental Europe than they lose monetarily. Stop thinking of government/military like a business where the goal is to make a profit. There are bigger goals here and more important things than money.

This is why.
https://cgsr.llnl.gov/content/assets/docs/RussiaWorkshopReport.pdf
>>
>>103045

top 10 trading partners of the US:
1.) EU 276,142 418,201 694,343 142,059
2.) Canada 312,421 347,798 660,219 -35,377
3.) China 123,676 466,754 590,430 -343,078
4.) Mexico 240,249 294,074 534,323 -53,825
5.) Japan 66,827 134,004 200,831 -67,177
6.) South Korea 44,471 69,518 113,989 -25,047
7.) Taiwan 26,670 40,581 67,251 -13,911
8.) Brazil 42,429 30,537 72,966 +11,892
9.) India 21,608 45,244 66,852 -23,636
10.) Saudi Arabia 18,705 47,041 65,746 -28,336

the EU is the US's single largest trading partner, by a large margin.
>>
>>102758
>wants to bomb the hell out of ISIS
>doesn't want to be world police
pick one and only one
>>
>>103045
This post couldn't be more American if an eagle had written it
>>
For Trump supporters, "nationalism" really means "short-sighted self-interest". Practically that decisions made on on the basis of complex economic and geopolitical strategies that have been engineered for decades should be overturned by popular referendum.

Many of these folks believe that the US is secretly omnipotent (but the government is simultaneously hopelessly inefficient) and that all the important policy decisions up until this point in time have been made out of a sense of charity toward non-Americans.

Like the marshal plan was just us doing Europe a favor.
And we haven't been applying tarrifs to anything and everything coming into our country because we feel bad for foreigners and American interests are a lower priority. There is no thinking beyond the most base logical connection and no long-term, macroeconomic perspective necessary. Free trade bad, tariffs good.
>>
>>103045
Switzerland is Israel bank. London is Israel finance and trade and USA is Israel military branch. That's why.
>>
>>103063
I kind of wish this great big American withdrawal could come true.

Just to watch the faces on said Americans when they realize those non Americans in shit hole nations have a memory that lasts longer than 4 years. Isolation will only go so far.
>>
>>103067
>I kind of wish this great big American withdrawal could come true.
It's actually pretty unrealistic. The military-industrial complex would never allow that to happen.
>>
>>103067
This is the second stupidest post in the whole thread

Spite isn't good foreign policy
>>
>>103067
Lol

Its not like wed give up the waters.
>>
>>103063
>american self interest is bad because its a popular theme among the plebs
t. keyboard pundit
>all the important policy decisions up until this point in time have been made out of a sense of charity toward non-Americans.
Towards corporations and foreign governments bribing officials.
>>
>>102774
Lol.
>>
>>103047
Defend yourself, contribute or give tribute.
>>
>>103048

Was going to post this. If you don't want to spend more on Europe that's fucking fine, but in that case you get off our airbases then. You have a lot more to gain from having outposts in Europe than you might think.
>>
>>103145
>You can have this base in Germany
>In exchange you have to pay for 66% of the defense budget for NATO while the rest of us give our people socialized medicine and dirt cheap education. Also share all Intel the world over with us and protect us if shit hits the fan

Doesn't sound like much of a deal to me. We should really wrap our minds around an America that isn't the world police anymore. Plus without NATO Merkel could get that shiny new EU army she's been asking for. Don't you want that? It's like a NATO without the US sticking its nose in everyone's business
>>
>>103149
>>You can have this base in Germany
>this base
Do you have any idea how many NATO bases there are in Europe?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:NATO_installations_by_country
>>
>>103149

I take it you're american. Truth is the "rented" bases are mostly for management, and a more direct deployment in other conflict areas. You very rarely stick your nose in our affairs if they don't also affect the US, if even at all.
>>
>>103149
Do you think you would you spend less on defence if you left NATO or would you end up having to spend more?
>>
>>103151

Oh and btw, those are NATO's, I'm referring about installations lended to the US military itself, which are also quite a few.
>>
>>103047
At least we know Russia will still be white in 20 years
>>
>>103200
What makes you think that?
>>
>>103047

Why should we give a fuck about Yurop. We've ashtray lost millions of people in 2 world wars which we should have never been involved in.

Let Yurop destroy itself, it's what they have been doing since written history and it's what they are good at

FUCK EUROPE, WORTHLESS PIECES OF SHIT
>>
>>103251
America lost 1.3 million in both world wars, not "millions". Learn2history.
>>
>>103262

Nobody has killed more Americans than America, the Civil War was simply that fucking deadly. In fact if you add up all the casualties from all American wars it would still fall sort of the American Civil War.
>>
>>103052
>EU
>One country

You realize we can trade with European countries without the EU... Right? lol. The US not trading with the EU would just make it break apart sooner.

English/anglo/american free trade pact inc!
>>
>>102979
You should thank Trump for giving you less to think about via censorship, because he probably requested that the page ve taken down.
>>
>>>103047
>At least we know Russia will still be white in 20 years
Who cares? If my skin tone was in line with black or arabic or indian or hispanic or asian, I'd still be me. I don't fucking care what ethnicity I am. It doesn't matter. I'm white and I honestly don't think that much about it. Because I'm me, not just "White Man". If I were black, I wouldn't just be "Black Man". That's not how people are meant to be identified.
>>
>>103047
this. you are a good guy. greetings from europe.
>>
>>100406
We're going to be withdrawing from the West/world for reasons.

nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/01/trump-prepares-to-radically-reduce-u-s-funding-of-the-u-n.html
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.