[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>lock thread general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

>lock thread general
>>
>>998046
everyone should just have 2 bikes. One that's nice and looks good that you pour money into and one that's cheap and just works. Then you won't cry when you get nigged. No matter what lock you choose you can't stop a committed thief.
>>
File: 1471481719201.jpg (132KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1471481719201.jpg
132KB, 1920x1080px
One time in Brooklyn I literally saw a homeless-lookin' black dude jacking off onto a bike.

Why? He obviously wasn't going to steal the thing after he finished nutting on it. To this day the lack of any possible motivation haunts me.
>>
File: abus-testing-6_1-749x566.jpg (146KB, 749x566px) Image search: [Google]
abus-testing-6_1-749x566.jpg
146KB, 749x566px
>>998049
>everyone should just have 2 bikes. One that's nice and looks good that you pour money into and one that's cheap and just works.

I agree with you in principle, but when do you use your non-shit bike as opposed to your bait bike?

My locking strategy, gleen from what I've read from various sources:

>have $50 mini-U lock, $20 cable and $20-30 cable lock.
>if the bike rack is good, I put the mini-U lock through the back triangle and wheel, or just the wheel inside the triangle if that's not feasible.
>sometime the bike rack is shit, so sometime I have to lock it through rear wheel outside the triangle.
>use the cable to wrap around a frame tube and the front wheel; connect it to the mini-U lock.
>use the cable lock to wrap around a frame tube and the front wheel. If I can mange it, I will lock to the rack, if possible.

I can do this call within 5-10 minutes, which I find reasonable.

>Then you won't cry when you get nigged. No matter what lock you choose you can't stop a committed thief.

True, but they can work well as deterrence, which is worthwhile to pursue even if it's not 100% foolproof.
>>
>>998049
I feel depressed even getting my bell stolen. A $5 fucking bell. No matter the monetary value, I'll still feel horrible because it's mine and someone took it.

A friend of mine had a shitty used department store bike, $20 from kijiji which barely worked apart from wheels and crank spinning, plus it was mainly rust due to the road salt. Despite that someone still stole it and he felt shitty. It's like getting your bus pass stolen, or your shoes. It's my mode of transportation.
>>
what does it mean when there is a lock left on a bike rack but no bike? is the person just leaving it there for convenience?
>>
>>998075

Yeah usually that's the sign of a commuter. If you have to ride to the exact same spot every day, why lug the lock with you? Just leave it on the rack.
>>
>>998075
Two locks, one follows the bike and another stays at the regular spot
>>
Any locks you lot recommend? I am thinking that Kryptonite would be good?
>>
>>998046
That stepover frame looks cozy af, would build up with handpicked bits/10. Also, bottle dynamo mount on the fork too.
>>
>>998046
Didn't get the cranksets? Noobs.
>>
>>998060
fuck yeah I can vouch for this little lock. Best bang for buck.
>>
>>998046
Oooh nice thread here.

Ive had a customer(wife)that had got their husbands bike stolen because the thief cut the wifes seatstays,the husbands bike was locked to her bikes seat stay with a chainlock.

My nephew had his 8mm shackle "A brand" chain lock cut.

Ive seen bikes in LONDON which had their entire stem/handlebar/etc just cut(cables)and bolted loose(dem STI shifters eh)

The most common case of bike theft here(Netherlands) is when people just """""LOCK""""" their bike with a frame lock,which only prevents the rear wheel from being detached or turning(pic related)

There literally are vans (filled with peacefull culturally enriching foreigners)cruizing streets which are known to have pretty expensive bikes """"locked"""" up using only a frame lock.

They pick them up in their van,and cut and remove the frame lock using battery powered angle grinders.

Then,optionally they sand away the frame number and sell it on what is the Dutch equivalent of craigslist.But usually in a town at least 10-20 kilometers away,so people wont find their bike back.

Wtf why Do I use () so mu
>>
>>998075
Either that, or a thief sawed through the bike frame. Or the person was retarded and locked the bike by a spoke lol
>>998589
Abus Bordo Ecolution is great. Thieves have experience with u locks and chain locks, but not folding locks. Folding locks are difficult to break and also can go around more objects (such as wider poles and trees) than a u-lock
>>998051
Probably did it for the lulz
>>
>>998046
I always thought it would be funny to leave decoy bikes held together with glue outside of shops and other prime thief areas without a lock and gorilla glue/surgical adhesive on the saddle.
imagine them hitting the pavement when they hop on and running off with a saddle glued to their ass. funny messages on the bottom of the saddle are optional.
>>
But what's with people leaving the empty frame behind? Wheels aren't that expensive, just take what's left and replace the parts.

>>999085

>don't be a retard
>lock own bike up securely and don't park it overnight or anywhere sketchy
>if possible take it into your work with you
>buy cheap stolen bikes of cgl
>???
>massively profit by getting fantastic bikes for dirt cheap

If they used a gift ribbon, they deserve it.
>>
I have 4 bikes, no locks. My fiances father has about 100 or so bikes in his back yard in various condition. I'm slowly (about 2 a month) working my way through the pile, fixing them up. I only have one bike that I have spent any money on. The rest are gifted or rescued. If my personal bike got stolen, I'd be upset, but not upset enough to buy a lock. I don't own a bike lock, and where I live, there's no real need for one.
>>
why does he have 100? I....Is he basketball american?
>>
>>1001771

Probably buying lots from police auctions. You can get 20 bikes for like 300 bucks.
>>
>>1001772
>>1001702
then why does he collect them? does he overhaul them and sell them for a profit after or what?
>>
>>998060
>when do you use your non-shit bike as opposed to your bait bike?

shit bike is for transportation

nice bike is for riding
>>
The subway stations here in the Bay Area California have these really cool electronic locking cages. They cost 5 cents an hour, you get a card and you just slide it in, put in your time stay put your bike in and it locks behind you. Also refunds all extra hours you put in

For some reason, some dumbasses still use the bike racks inside the station
>>
>>1001807
Can't argue with free

And people have already bought locks
>>
>>1001813
>5 cents an hour is too much

WEW LAD.

The point is that those cages are also way safer than locking it up outside
>>
>>1001815
If something like that existed for me id totally use it... But I'm just trying to explain to you that even if something costs a penny it's a barrier for a lot of people
>>
>>1001807

Shit, that's nice anon. I don't think ive seen those in LA.
>>
>>1001793
People need a hobby.
>>
Going to post a classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGttmR2DTY8

Most people won't even try to stop a bike theft in broad daylight.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AdugFzCi24

4min 50s onwards

Basically, not even a kryptonite lock is good enough if the bike thief wants the bike.
>>
>>1005149
>new york shitty

There's your problem
>>
What are good Padlock brands for a secondary set up?

I've got an Abus 10mm chain with an Abus Titalium CS padlock for my main lock set up and I want another padlock for my Kryptoflex secondary for the other wheel, but I don't want to get everything from Abus, for some reason I think I would feel better if I change it up and throw a little variation in there instead of ABUS BRAND ABUS allover my bike.

Lately Yale padlocks are looking shoddy/gimmicky, they look about as effective as your generic Master padlocks.

thoughts?
>>
>>999074
They'd need a 14mm ratchet. Negroe gentlemen are incapable of conversion from metric
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.