[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mineral oil for hydraulic brakes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (173KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
173KB, 1920x1080px
Eh, I had some amateur error, when trying to fixate my disc brakes.
I openend the oil Torx screw of the Shimano brake, and then pulled the brake.
Oil flew out like when you have shits diarrhea.

Anyways, now I lost a bit of oil in my rear brake system, and I notice it, I can pull the lever all the way back and it barely breaks.
I found no clear results about what to use, because people keep on arguing anyways.

Funny enough my bike doesn't use the original mineral oil, it's yellowish and not red. The distributor who put my bike together also thought it is not necessary it seems.

What is your experience with different kind of oils for your disc brakes?
Shimano doesn't give out any data about their stuff, so it's hard to compare only by specsheet.
>>
>>995661
Your old fluid was likely yellow, instead of red, because it had become contaminated, not because the seller used the wrong stuff.

As for what you should use, the only answer in your case is Shimano mineral oil. Mixing/switching brake fluids will contaminate your system in the best case, and damage your seals at worst.
>>
>>995672
That's a myth according to what most people say in the different forums.
That's what the manufactures tell you to do, because they want to earn more money.

But there are good enough alternatives out there, which a way cheaper.
And it didn't damage the seals.
Only additives and some other stuff could damage the seals.

>because it had become contaminated

Nah, no way. The red colour is nothing more than a dye. Magura uses blue dye, there are also green dyes.
>>
>>995675
You don't have to use genuine Shimano fluids. However you have to use the same type of fluid as your brake system requires. Mineral oil and DOT fluids can't be mixed and can't be used in brake systems meant for the other type of fluid. The systems use different type of rubber in their seals and if you use incorrect fluids the seals WILL fail at some point. It won't be instantaneous and it might not even be spectacular when they fail. It might take months for it to happen but it will happen at some point.

So mineral oil for mineral oil systems DOT for DOT systems. It doesn't have to be the genuine fluid from the brake manufacturer as long as it's the same type of fluid. The manufacturers obviously tell you to only use their fluids and only change them at authorized dealerships. Partly because it keeps their liability risks much lower and partly because it brings in more profits.

The colouring on brake fluids is in fact a dye but usually they're used as a way to tell that two fluids aren't compatible with each other.

When picking brake fluids pay close attention to the boiling temperature of the fluid you're buying if it's not the original. Especially with mineral oil brakes you've gotta be careful with what you're buying when not buying the genuine fluid. DOT fluids can be mixed, other than DOT 5 shouldn't be mixed with any other DOT fluid. Also NEVER use DOT fluid from an opened container as DOT fluids are hydroscopic and absord water from the atmosphere lowering their boiling point.

Though I can't for the life of me understand why some bike brake manufacturers have decided to go with mineral oil. DOT fluids are literally made and designed with brakes in mind and it is readily available everywhere.
>>
It's poplar to use lhm oil for citroens around here.
But in general, just go to lbs and ask for oil for your brakes and stop being a dipshit.
>>
Mineral oil and DOT fluids are different, and have different density. Mix them both and mineral oil will sit in top of DOT.

As well, there are different types of DOT. There's DOT 4/5/whatever. Your specific brakes take a specific fluid. Look up the specs online if you're unsure. Sometimes the type of oil is listed on the brake itself.

That being said, just take your bike to a shop and have a mechanic bleed it. Hydraulic brakes are the biggest pain in the ass, and I guarantee you'll fuck it up or something will go wrong. You'll also need syringes, tubes, brake feelers to get it aligned... It's just a bitch.
>>
>>995661
shimano fluid changes from red to yellow when it's used, and i'm guessing you're fucking retarded, so take your bike to a bike shop and let them bleed it.
>>
OP here, have watched enough vids, read enough forum posts to do it myself.

Fuck those overpriced kits, I am getting stuff myself from the medical departement, and will not stick with the official way like it is described in the manual.
It's not a spaceship and neither rocket science.

Ordered 2 syringes with cable and some mineral oil, intended for hydraulic fluid of bikes.
I won't even get off the wheel, too much of a bother.
I fill up above the new oil, and below I will suck out the old stuff, while pushing and pulling a few times to get out the air.

End

>>995732
>fluid changes from red to yellow when it's used

tell me more you retard, since you know more than me

magura royal blood doesn't change colour for instance

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsqlEYJeLQU

Neither does Shimano oil change its colour.

Now kindly fuck off, you braintarded shill.
Guess you should have worn a helmet. Falling onto your head too often doesn't do you any good.
>>
>>995777
>overpriced kits
What, $10 is too much?

Good luck stealing your brass nipple things from the local methadone clinic
>>
File: 1460682681700.gif (1MB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1460682681700.gif
1MB, 300x300px
>>995661
>>995777

You are on the right track. It is not rocket science. The hard part is sourcing the oil. I bled my saints with spare oil from a friend and 50 cent syringe from the local pharmacy.

BUT from your first post - if oil did spew everywhere - if you got any significant oil on your brake pads - you will need new pads - there is no way around this.
>>
You have to bleed your brakes. You have to use the kind of oil they are designed for. (Different brand? Should be okay. Different type, i.e. DOT 4 vs Mineral? Fuck no, don't do it.) The type of oil needed should be labeled on your brake levers.
>>
>>995777
>>fluid changes from red to yellow when it's used
>tell me more you retard, since you know more than me
He's right though you fucking retard.
>>
Sell them and get some bb7's.
>>
File: DSC_0184.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0184.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
The pads on this thing barely move when I pull the brake lever all the way back, the lever is also far too easy to pull.
Does it need adjusting or bleeding?
>>
>>996553
Bleeding. You may also have a leak somewhere if you lost that much oil or got that much air in without any particular reason.
>>
>>996554
I loaned it to a friend for a few month, no idea what really happened.
The whole bike is scratched up to fuck though, I can hear the wheels are misaligned or maybe even bent when I spin them too.
>>
>>996555
>loaning your bike to a friend
Absolute fucking madman.
>>
>>996573
Ex friend
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.