[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Soooo... Which group set should I invest in if I have currently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: shemanO.jpg (33KB, 1600x501px) Image search: [Google]
shemanO.jpg
33KB, 1600x501px
Soooo...

Which group set should I invest in if I have currently on my bike lets say.

>Claris
or
>Tiagra

I'm upgrading my Trek bike and thinking of which parts could benefit in the long run. (yeah, top priority wheels but after that I'm thinking of new group set)
>>
Use the /bqg/ next time.
Go with Tiagra. As someone who has both, the Tiagra is 100% better. Shifts smoother, lighter, and it just feels better overall.
>>
>>995294
Much appreciated. Thanks
>>
>>995292
save up a bit more and get 105.
best bang for your buck.

the set will last you a long time.
>>
>>995297
this, after 8000 km of use my 105 groupset is working like a charm.
>>
>>995301
Charms don't work faggot. They are literally a scam and made of pagan superstitions.
>>
105(5800) costs about $350
Tiagra(4700) costs about $290

I don't even know where you could buy a complete claris groupset, google failed me. Up until a week ago 5800 was on sale on ribble for 305, people snapped it all up and now the price spiked to 400+. Just wait for a sale and pick up 105, IMO.
>>
>>995292
>>995309

Oh, you probably have 8-10 speed wheels. 5800 is 11 speed and will probably require new wheels. Tiagra might be a better choice in that case.
>>
The latest Tiagra is actually really good and rivals the 10 speed 105 groupset. If I were buying a bike now I'd rather get a new bike with Tiagra than used with 10 speed 105 if all other things were the same.

Only problem with Tiagra is that a lot of the bikes come with FSA Omega crankset which is absolute fucking garbage. You should avoid that like the plague because it's gonna give up really fast. Or if you get a bike with Omega be prepared to replace the crankset.
>>
File: 41PiksZtizL.jpg (29KB, 500x346px) Image search: [Google]
41PiksZtizL.jpg
29KB, 500x346px
>>995292
Microshift Arsis is going to work be nicer than shit-grade shimano.

It's lighter and doesn't look ridiculous like bottom tier shimano.

>>995310
Still only 10 spd too since microshift is weird.
>>
>>995474
>Microshift Arsis is going to work be nicer than shit-grade shimano.
Yeah no.
>>
>>995479

Microshift isn't bad, just super plasticky.
>>
>>995474
Arsis is basically Sora tier. That's not to say it's bad, because current Sora is pretty good. But basically, the only bad Shimano road stuff right now is Tourney, Claris comes just a little under, but is still not that bad.
>>
File: arse.jpg (158KB, 1484x346px) Image search: [Google]
arse.jpg
158KB, 1484x346px
>>995474
I need helping find more parts for this build.
>>
>>995502

R-sys.... the legendary exploding wheels
>>
>>995311
This. Very much. You'll find a lot of praise for the tiara 4700, from myself included. Not sure I need 11sp anyway, unless I went 1x but then I'd probably go SRAM...
>>
>>995311
Except in grams. Especially the crank, the new Tiagra crank is a heavy piece of shit. No you're not flexing the crank and you don't need a stiffer crank.
>>
>>995506
I would take 3x10 over 2x11 if I needed more gears than 2x10 and don't mind the Q factor. But for some reason I have two 2x11 bikes. One is supposed to be for flattish riding, and I wasn't going to downgrade to only save $50. The other is a weight weenie bike.
>>
>>995509
The new Tiagra crank may be heavy as shit but it's still better than the piece of shit that is FSA Omega which is usually found on Tiagra bikes. I went through two of those cranksets on a Tiagra bike before getting fed up with them and upgrading.
>>
>>995579
wat happen to the omega's?
>>
>>995584
On the first one the axle became loose in the contact point between the spider and the axle. On the second one the spider broke. Both of them broke before the chainrings needed replacing.

I used the bike just the same as any bike before or after it. I weight 75 kg and don't even put out massive power. Never had problems with any other crankset, even with much more mileage on them.

I did just buy another bike with omega because it was cheap and everything else was fine with it. I'll just grab a 105 crankset on sale sometime and upgrade it before it breaks.
>>
>>995611
>FSA is italian
Well now we know.
Now we know
>>
>>995579
That's because the Omega is shit. Would you rather a 105 bike with Tektros and a FSA Gossamer, or a bike with Full Tiagra?
>>
>>995698

Gossamer is fine, tektros are fine if you replace the pads.

I'd go 105 route
>>
>>995698
On a new bike I'd rather have a 105 bike than Tiagra. Usually the 105 groupset brings up the price and for some people it may be a problem. Though most of the time it's a few hundred dollars only so nothing major.

If it was a used 10 speed 105 with Gossamer or a new full Tiagra I'd rather have the Tiagra.
>>
>>995698
105 has ergonimicerder shifters
>>
>>995722
New Tiagra has the same shifters except they're 10 speed.

>>995703
>>995709
The price point of a full Tiagra bike is usually pretty close to the price point of a 105 mix, which is why Tiagra sets are rare and you see Tiagra mix. It's hard to justify full Tiagra in a lineup. Not comparing 105 mix to Tiagra mix.
>>
>>995722
Shimano shifters are an ergonomics disaster in any case so it doesn't matter.

>>995727
105 mixes are still the better choice since Gossamer is actually somewhat decent crankset and not the absolute disaster Omega is. Tektros are usable as long as you get some decent pads in them.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.