[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

old road bike tire size

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: bike rim tape.jpg (147KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
bike rim tape.jpg
147KB, 1200x675px
Is the dimension printed on the bike rim tape the same that is needed for tires and tubes? Trying to fix up an old road bike ant the old tires were so dry they were unreadable. Someone in-between put 27 1/4 inch tires on it

pic related the rim tape
>>
the only size which matters is the diameter of the rim.

the rim can take 1" to 2.5" since these are the common sizes.
>>
Those 26" with the fractional width have a different bead diameter than your run of the mill 26" mountain bike wheel.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/26.html
>>
>>995009
Cool, that helps because a ton of shops around me have various 26 tires but not specifically 1 3/8

So do you think that this rim tape dimension is for the tire diameter as well? as far as I can tell its the original rim tape. I measured as best as I could with a tape ruler, but without taking spokes off and the cassette/ free wheel off (which I don't have the tools to do) the measurement won't come out that accurate
>>
>>995011
Oh ok, so I guess I have to get specific then, I read the link, very interesting.

The bike in question is a mid 80's ross adventurer. Pretty Low end by today's standards, but I was advised much better than anything else in my meager budget, It was free from my dad. I'm only using it for the occasional 10-20 mile ride/commute.

I'm just worried to run out and buy some tires for that size just to find out that the rim tape size is smaller than the required tire size.
>>
>>995013
26 x 1 3/8 most-closely corresponds to the 650A French size. However, Schwinn had a proprietary 26 x 1 3/8 size which was incompatible w/ anything else
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.