[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aviation careers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (513KB, 1250x858px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
513KB, 1250x858px
I want a job in Aviation, but honestly have no clue what all there is that pays decently. I know Ramp Agents/baggage pay jack shit. But what are some
Aviation jobs that you could get certifications for and make $50,000+/yr?

non-pilot jobs please, because I don't want to go $80k in debt and be poor for the following 5 years because of starting pay.
>>
I'm an airline pilot... you might want to look into dispatching, or possibly crew scheduling. I like dispatchers and hate crew scheduling but they are both in aviation.
>>
>>993713

>dispatchers

Interesting. Is this something I need a degree for? Or can I just get the required certifications?
>>
>>993688
Go to trade school/community college and apply for NDT certification level 1. Get an OSH certification as well while you're at it

Shit is still kinda expensive but for NDT level 1 training, it would only take about 8 months (tho it's still depends on which school you go to) and at most you only have to spend around 3k, minus the PPEs and other tools

Airline companies would employ NDT technicians to check fatigues, leakage, cracks and other things related to aircraft maintenance. Bonus you don't have to get dirty as much as the mechanics
>>
>>993750

Ok that seems interesting too, thanks for the advice anon!

What's the average salary you think?
>>
>>993730
I'm pretty sure you can just get the qualifications... but I don't exactly know for sure to be honest. Pilots don't NEED a degree either by the way.
>>
>>993756

>pilots don't need a degree

I know, but I've heard for the legacy airlines it's important?

I just don't want to go in debt $80k for ATP Flight School, then struggle as a CFI and as a Regional Pilot making like $20,000/yr for a few years..
>>
>>993762
Or you could go part 61 debt free.
>>
>>993762
I went to a 141 university program, first year at my regional I made $53,000
>>
>>993849

>debt free

How so? Even if I go to a local airport I'm going to have to pay tens of thousands of dollars.

>>993885

>university program

See.. That's a problem, because I don't want to go back to college.
>>
File: image.jpg (148KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148KB, 500x333px
Ok, for the pilots here.

Is it ACTUALLY possible to get a pilot slot with a big airline (Alaska, Delta, United, JetBlue, ect..) without a college degree?

I was just looking at ATP Flight School. And it says they guarentee $43k/yr as a CFI and will get you a interview with a regional.

Also, how smart do you actually hAve to be? I'm not dumb, but I tried college and it was a bad time. I think because I have 0 interest in the topics. But I DO love everything aviation.
>>
TSA? FAA - air traffic, FAA-TECH OPS (electronics repair), airport OPS, ARFF

http://careercenter.aaae.org/jobs
>>
Air traffic control. My friend's really into aviation but scared of flying so it's perfect for him. You don't need a degree but need to have a certain type of intelligence ( spacial awareness, logical reasoning). There are some free tests you can do online. If you pass those then you get through to training where there are a further 2 tests. I think the process takes a while so I guess it might not be for you but worth taking a look at.

Also only a fraction of applicants make it through so you gotta be good.
>>
>>994076
>>994079

I've applied for many, many different positions with TSA- Federal Air Marshal, K-9, Intelligence, Analyst, Watch Officer, Operations Center.. But it's fucking competitive as hell.. You pretty much need a degree.

I did apply for the FAA ATC Trainee position that's currently open. But even tho I have military time, I'll get beat by someone with a degree.
>>
>>994084
If interview funds are available don't be afraid to relocate. Get into an airport authority rather than working for a carrier. Sometimes you get your foot in the door you can apply for internal positions as time moves along.

Airports regardless of size are just like a city/town, positions in the aviation field vary depending on the size and activity.

Someone needs to cut the grass, plow the snow, fix the AC, order supplies, conduct ID checks, watch doors, issue access media, scare birds, check the perimeter, traffic control, respond to emergencies (big and small), give directions........

Been playing the game more than likely longer than you have around.

Don't get frustrated and prepare to be regulated to the end of the runway and back.
>>
>>994090

The thing with the airport is they pay jack shit. All those jobs pay between $10-13/HR, right now I make $26/hr. That's way too big of a drop..
>>
>>994059

>> big airline
>> picture of compass e175

I'm a regional airline pilot and there are plenty of guys with 10 years experience many with thousands of hours of PIC time that aren't being called by legacy carriers. There's absolutely no way Delta or United would hire you without a degree, I think some people have flowed through AA's wholly owned regionals without degrees. People laugh at ATP grads by the way, they are scary as fuck.
>>
>>994106
>>> big airline
>>> picture of compass e175

Haha I just happened to have that picture saved on my phone. And just used it as the pic. I know that's regional.

>there is absolutely no way you'd get hired by Delta or United without a degree
>ATP grads get laughed at

Well, dammit. Right when I was starting to have hope. You shot me down. Fuck my life
>>
>>994108

Honestly though, I didn't mean to shoot you down. I've flown with captains that were ATP grads they were fine. Embry-Riddle is worse (lol). But... fully understand what you're getting into when you get into flying. Honestly, there's a lot about my job that I fucking HATE. Being on reserve (which when I move to a major I'll be on for a VERY long time)... being away from home a LOT. Shitty hours, management treats you like a slave, pay isn't great considering how in debt you'll end up even if you go to ATP. It's a very cost prohibitive career... if you can 't imagine yourself doing anything else then go for it. I'd recommend you take a couple flying lessons from a local FBO before you decide on ATP.
>>
>>994110

That's all just so frustrating to hear. I know you're speaking the truth as a regional pilot. But it's just unmotivating as fuck. I'm 26 years old, did some time in the military, and worked some other jobs too. My whole life the only thing that I've consistently had a strong interest in is airplanes. I even took flying lessons as a kid, but stopped short of my first solo because I joined the military. But now, it seems like every aviation related job is shit in a sense. One of my friends is a Captian for JetBlue, makes bank and travels all over the place and doesn't even work much. That's what I want. But I know in realty. That won't happen. And like you implied, I'll probably get stuck doing hops between MSP-IAD-IAD-ATL back and forth every god damn day. Be in high ass debt, and live in a crashpad

Fuck
>>
You can operate a multi million dollar vehicle in one of the most stresful work environments. Responsible for making sure hundreds of people don't die and you don't cause tens of millions in property damage.

Still get paid less than a bus driver, for years.
>>
>>994144

I mean, I did what you described in combat, but it was 362 days straight. No days off other than 2 week R&R. And only made $22,000
>>
>>994148
I made $44,000 a year on my deployments.

Plus I got to cause a lot of property damage.
>>
>>994152

Well, when I went I was a E-2. So that's why. But still, shit pay for the actually amount of work we did and risk>>994152
>>
>>994118
You sound like a pretty insufferable person, desu sempai

You'd make a great pilot
>>
>>994165

actually, I don't bring trouble to my place of work. My co-workers actually like to work around me. Because they often invite me to work in their section. I hate my fucking job right now, but I keep these troubles to myself. I just have a strong work ethic.
>>
>>993688
Dispatch. Go get your certification at Sheffield in FL, then get in with a commuter airline dispatch office. Your first few years will most likely suck as the pay is low and the workload is insane, but you are only there to get it on your resume to get onboard with the majors. Once there, you typically start somewhere in the $75k range. Top out depends on the airline and contract, but nowadays it's around $140k after 11-15 years. It can be a stressful job with plenty of drama, but the pay makes it worth it.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.