[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Babby-bike thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 15

File: 18560204752_87908d50e6.jpg (82KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
18560204752_87908d50e6.jpg
82KB, 500x375px
No bikes bigger than 250cc in this thread, since /o/ -- a bunch of petrol swigging motorheads -- wont talk about anything smaller than 600cc.
>>
File: jenny_fletcher.jpg (219KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
jenny_fletcher.jpg
219KB, 1200x1600px
She can have my babies and there is a bike
>>
File: R1 sjaak.jpg (121KB, 700x453px) Image search: [Google]
R1 sjaak.jpg
121KB, 700x453px
/o/ here, get a real bike.
>>
>>993254
>trifag

She probably pisses on that bike.
...wait, that makes it hotter.
>>
>>993259
>fuel economy of a car
>1/5 the fuel capacity
>5x the visits to the pumps

Big bike lifestyle.
>>
>>993261
Because you totally need to take a piss on your bike training for a 30 mile time trial
>>
>>993254
Waifu material
>>
>>993232
Why ride a gas powered donorcycle when you can ride an electric donorcycle that you can actually pedal in case you forget to recharge it.
https://youtu.be/pxW4iQ2iqUw
>>
>>993232
It's hard to justify anything under 300cc in the U.S. unless you have no reason to go outside your city.
>>
>>993371
Here in the UK we're pretty much 90% tiny country roads and towns, so a 125cc bike is perfectly suited unless you need to get on a dual carriageway, and they suck anyway and should be avoided because they're soulless wastelands.

I've just given my chinky bike it's 26,000km service and it's still going strong.
>>
>>993371
Tell me exactly what the 250cc is lacking for legal road traffic?
>>
>>993307

>not spinning in the cross-gear for 20 minutes and then pissing all over your bike immediately before walking it into your local shop to ask them to top off your tires because you just can't figure out those weird skinny valves and why do they even have those, anyway?

What do you mean you can't do a tune-up while I sit here and wait, anon? My bike's due at check-in in 20 minutes!
>>
i'd love a honley rx3 as for me that'd be near perfect, although a pick-up truck would be more useful and be able to carry more bikes.
>>
>>993380
Power.

I get it, you can legally ride a 250cc on any highway but you're at a serious disadvantage when dealing with 75-80mph traffic.
>>
>>993254
>She can have my babies
Why would you want to ruin her physique by doing that to her, you selfish prick?
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
50cc. Great for dicking around the city. Fite me.
>>
File: look ma I posted it again.webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
look ma I posted it again.webm
3MB, 960x540px
I'm aware this is /n/ but if you're just using motorcyles for tra/n/sport then you're really just missing out on so much dopamine. Who cares about need...what do you want?

I always say this when people talk about how it must be nice motorcycling because it's cheap to fill up, I would still ride if they cost as much as cars to buy, own and run (they honestly probably do) because you get a feeling it's hard to get anywhere else.

I'd imagine maybe wingsuiters or hardcore DH MTB's get the same feeling of flow + fear but motorcycles are how I do it.
>>
>>993476
If you're American and you live in any state other than California then you don't really have the right to comment on motorcycles as transport. The other 49 states of this country consider motorcycles recreational vehicles. There is plenty of fun to be had while using a motorcycle as transport.
>>
File: morning split.webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
morning split.webm
3MB, 960x540px
>>993479
I live in sydney, lane splitting is legal here and traffic is bad. They're common as transport and it's my only vehicle too, but It's not the reason I ride.
>>
>>993444

Bruh, whats the top speed? Whats the cargo limit? How does it do on hills?
>>
>>993480
You must not work far from home then. I save 1-2 hours per day by riding a motorcycle instead of driving or using public trans. It's also a lot of fun splitting through downtown San Francisco.
>>
>>993476
>Who cares about need...what do you want?

To have enough money to pay my bills...?
>>
>>993476
Necessity is literally of greater importance.
>>
>>993444
Only if you are a very young rider without full license. No reason to get 50 if you can have 125. That is actually nippy with one person and can take two without a problem. Also, hills, man. 50 makes more noise than speed.
>>
>>993407
Are you telling me a 250cc can't keep up with 80 mph traffic? It might not have massive acceleration at that speed but most will be able to keep up fine in those speeds. Dirt bikes are excluded from that but doing 80mph on a dirt bike for extended duration like highway travel would be suffering anyway.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>993635
It can but as you said there's not much acceleration left at those speeds. 500+cc makes a lot of sense for highway travel but if you get by on a 250 then by all means go for it.
>>
This is now a Cafe Racer 125 thread.
>>
>>993641
Tell me why exactly do you need massive acceleration at those speeds? We are talking about road legal use here. You sound like a degenerate that has never been to a race track and uses the streets as a substitute for a track day. Please crash and burn, preferably so that you don't kill anyone else while doing so.

There is not a single reason why anyone needs more than 250cc for road use. Buy a bigger bike all you want but don't try telling anyone it's because you need it to keep up with traffic. You might need a bigger bike because your ego can't handle riding a bike under certain engine displacement.
>>
>>993653
Feels good to be a Chinese GS125 bro.
>>
>>993655
Because people drive like fucking morons and on more than one occasion I've had to accelerate very quickly to get out of a situation that could have gone bad if my only options were to stay where I was or to brake.

I don't ride like a squid and my ego has nothing to do with it.
>>
>>993703
Cars are one of the worst things to happen to humanity.

Somehow they manage to appeal to, and exaggerate, all of Man's flaws.
>>
>>993481
About 40mph on flat ground, 350lbs, and meh... If I get a running start it's fine, but uphill from a stop blows.
>>
>>993614
I have my motorcycle license, and have a Stella manual 125 as well. Chinese 50 is nicer around town and in crappy weather.
>>
>>993655
>there is not a single reason why anyone needs more than 250cc for road use
I can think of three reasons off the top of my head: acceleration, engine life, and carrying capacity. I am however quite convinced that anything bigger than 800cc or so is completely pointless unless you live in Germany.

>we are talking about road legal use here
Oh, so completely hypothetical scenarios that don't generally happen in real life? Legal, safe, and actually-happens-in-practice are three different categories that don't usually all line up.
>>
File: Honda_CB-400.jpg (1MB, 1824x1368px) Image search: [Google]
Honda_CB-400.jpg
1MB, 1824x1368px
>>993232
>no bigger than 250cc in this thread
>/o/tards won't talk about anything smaller than 600cc
You know there are perfectly good motorcycles between those two engine size categories, right?
>>
>>993703
>>993841
Weird because I somehow managed to be fine with a 125cc bike on traffic when I had one. The only problem with that one was that it's top speed was only around 115 km/h so you couldn't keep to the limit on all roads. Even still never had a single problem riding it in traffic.
>>
>>993847
Just because you *can* use 125cc motorbikes on the highway doesn't mean they're optimal. Also, most advantages of larger bikes don't immediately show up in day to day usage. The decreased engine lifespan resulting from keeping the engine near its max power output, for example, isn't going to show up for a while.
>>
>>993869
Considering you have to change the oil of a Chinese 125 every 600 miles, and new filter ever 1200 miles, you're going to really lengthen the life of the bike in that regard. Also the cheapness of parts and maintenance.

I've seen 125ccs in the wild with mileage up around the 30k mark, some even as high as 47k, with no work done to the engine but routine servicing.

Besides, they're so cheap you could buy a new one every few years with the money saved from buying a bigger bike. The real issue is that there's a really big gap between capabilities. You have 125ccs that can cruise all day at 50-60, then a huge gap of engine sizes without much improvement, then you don't get ones that can cruise at motorway speeds (70 in the UK) until you get to about 500cc.

You have some in between that can sit at traffic speed for a time, but aren't really made for long hauls.
>>
>>993869
I've seen 125cc bikes with well over 50k on them, with nothing more than the normal maintenance done to the engine. These engines aren't run even close to their maximum power output. Yeah a 125cc race bike gets it's engine rebuilt every 20 hours but that's a completely different machine. And a 1000cc race bike gets it's engine rebuilt just as often as the smaller one. Running the engine on it's maximum output doesn't matter if the maximum output isn't close to the maximum theoretical available from that engine.

250cc dual sports can easily carry enough cargo to do around the world trips. People have done them even on 50cc bikes but I wouldn't recommend that. I'd rather have a 250cc dual sport than a 1250cc monstrosity of an "adventure" bike for riding around the world.

Again there is nothing wrong with wanting to ride a bigger bike. Go ahead and do it all you want. Just stop spreading around bs and justifying your bigger bike with smaller ones not being capable of keeping up with traffic.
>>
>>993879
>>993915
Really anons, really?

An oil change interval of 600 miles makes a bike nearly completely useless for long distance. I've done trips of that distance each way. I don't even put up with service intervals that short for my bicycle.

Mileage of 30-50k isn't anywhere near high. That's not really the point though. If you have one engine that cruises around at 3k rpm, and another at 6+k rpm, then all other things being equal the second one is going to have parts start to wear out at least twice as fast. Small engines on the highway? High revving as fuck. Race bikes don't enter into the comparison since they're intentionally built with the lightest and therefore flimsiest components, optimising for weight instead of longevity.

Second anon, please don't try and say that "smaller bikes can't keep up with traffic" is bullshit when as you can see with >>993847, it is literally correct. You also don't need to bring up 1250cc bikes since I think we're all in agreement that they have more power than anyone but Germans have a road legal use for.

As for world tripping on a 250cc, again it's a case of it being possible but distinctly suboptimal. Load one up with a ton of luggage or a pillion passenger and point it towards a hill, and you're gonna have a real slow time.

To use your own words, there is nothing wrong with wanting to ride a smaller bike. Hell, I get around on a bicycle at the moment and I wouldn't mind getting a 125cc or 5kW electric motorbike to make trips around the city where I live easier. But medium sized bikes serve a legitimate purpose on the highway that small bikes can't match. Some are even just as fuel efficient as a 250cc. Big (>800cc) bikes are bullshit though.
>>
>>993263
>100x more hektik
come on m8
>>
>>993635
m8 250s can hardly do 80, and a dual sport 250 will be even slower
>>
>>993655
>struggles to get past 70mph
>problems in a headwind
>less power when touring and carrying heavy loads
>cruising on the highway at 12k rpms is good for engine life
>cars with more than 120 hp have no use bro
>>
just the thread i was looking for. i'll be buying a 125cc bike in a few months. it will be my first bike and i'd like to learn everything i need about maintenance and all that. do you guys have any suggested reading materials about making the bike last forever (or at least a decade)?
>>
>>993963
dont expect it to last long if you're pushing it, which you will be since its a 125
>dont keep it at high rps for long periods of time
>keep up on maintenance-oil, filter changes,etc.
the bike itself should last, but you'll probably end up rebuilding the engine or getting a new one.
>>
>>993950
Chinese 125s need an oil change every 600 miles. My CBF125 recommends an oil change (and service) every 2500.

>Mileage of 30-50k isn't anywhere near high

It is for a vehicle that can be bought new for just over £1,000.

It all depends on what you want out of a vehicle. If you want something to get to work on, and you don't get on a dual carriageway then a 125cc will pay for itself in a year or two because of the fuel savings.
>>
File: 8875a.jpg (60KB, 800x504px) Image search: [Google]
8875a.jpg
60KB, 800x504px
>>993963
For sheer ease then an engine based on the GS/GN125 would be best. Probably the simplest 4 stroke engine ever made that's still usable.

But if you want sheer longevity, buy an old supercub for pocket change and it will probably live longer than you.
>>
>>993950
You don't need to change oil on proper 125cc bikes any more often than on bigger bikes. Yes 50k isn't much but knowing the bikes they'd easily go another 50k without freak accidents. Most people just don't ride 125cc bikes that much since they buy something bigger once they can.

Revs don't matter as much as you claim. Bike engines, especially smaller ones are made to be ridden at high rpm. They have smaller parts and don't put out massive power so the high rpm doesn't put as much stress on the engine as a litrebike or an even larger car engine would on the same rpm. Engine design and build quality matters much more than the actual rpm you're running it on.

World tripping on 250cc is more optimal than on a massive adventure bike that weighs a ton with all the gear. Unless of course you've got a caravan of support and camera vehicles following you at all times.
>>
>>993979
>World tripping on 250cc is more optimal than on a massive adventure bike that weighs a ton with all the gear

I remember in Long Way Round where Claudio's BMW broke down, and he had to replace it with a shitty Russian 400cc 2-stroke and he had less hassle with the landscape than Ewan and Charlie with their huge GSs.
>>
>>993979
>250cc is more optimal than on a massive adventure bike that weighs a ton with all the gear
Would you kindly stop with the idiotic false dilemma? More optimal still is one of those medium sized adventure bikes. Y'know, one of those mysterious engine sizes that are bigger than 250cc yet smaller than 800cc or so that you're consistently ignoring. See: >>993989
>>
>>993989
Exactly. The reason why the large adventure bikes sell so well compared to smaller dual sports or medium sized adventure bikes around 600cc is that people buy them for what it does to their image. Having a 1200cc BMW is much more convincing for the average Joe than a 250cc or 690cc KTM. It makes them look like someone that could pack up and go tripping around the world on an instant. Obviously those who know what's going on and actually leave the paved roads know that the smaller bikes are miles better on actual adventures. On the types of adventures that go further than the local cafe shop.

Long way round and down would have been much easier for the guys on much smaller bikes. However they were making TV and searching for sponsorship. BMW happened to jump on the chance to advertise their large GS bikes on it. And the reason they want to advertise the bigger bikes is that they bring in much more profit than the smaller ones.

>>993991
Depends on where your world tripping goes. If it's all trails and deserts then the 250cc probably is better than one of the medium sized adventure bikes. As more roads are added the medium sized bikes are going to level and even go ahead with the smaller ones. However in any case they're both going to be better than the massive beast.

All I'm trying to say is that smaller bikes are just as viable as larger bikes. Not being able to keep up with traffic or not having enough power for the road isn't a valid excuse for buying a bigger than 250cc bike. If you want something larger go ahead and buy one. Just don't justify your purchase with needing all that power to keep up with the traffic. I'm not trying to stop people from buying larger bikes.

I'm on the market for an adventure bike at the moment. And since I refuse to buy a KTM there isn't much on the market at the moment that can actually do well outside the roads. Waiting for Yamaha to release MT-07 based Tenere.
>>
>>993995
I could do with a 250cc dual sport and there are actually multiple manufacturers that have those. However I don't really want a dual sport and I'm willing to take a slight weight penalty for a bit bigger bike that has a bit gentler engine characterics and better on road performance.
>>
>>993847
>70mph top speed
You'll be stuck in the slow lane being passed by 18-wheelers on a bike like that where I live. Literally not safe. Have fun being killed by tire shrapnel.
>>
File: BMWF650GS.jpg (344KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
BMWF650GS.jpg
344KB, 1280x960px
>>993995
>If it's all trails and deserts then the 250cc probably is better than one of the medium sized adventure bikes. As more roads are added the medium sized bikes are going to level and even go ahead with the smaller ones.
Agreed. As I mostly travel on sealed roads with only a little interesting unsealed/offroad stuff, I tend to favour medium sized things. Pic related.

>Not being able to keep up with traffic or not having enough power for the road isn't a valid excuse for buying a bigger than 250cc bike.
Stop. Just stop. That is stupid and wrong. To be specific, with the typical aerodynamics of a motorcycle you need about 25kW of power to easily go on freeways, climb mountains, etc, with no problems. To the best of my knowledge the only 250cc motorcycles with that sort of power are high revving sports bikes, which aren't exactly for everybody.
>>
>>993969
i live in SE asia. i wont be pushing it past 50km/h but i do intend to do around 200km in a day once in a month or so. would that be okay?

>>993978
i have been looking into supercubs, but i wanted something that could haul a little bit more and do climbs and uphills.

im looking into buying either a honda tmx125 alpha (which im learning was based on the honda cg125) or a bajaj ct100b.

do i need to know anything else or read a little bit more?
>>
I ride a 600 on weekdays because I have to use highways with cars going 70-80mph regularly.

I'm looking at buying a ~100cc dirt bike for camping though. Thinking about a Honda XR100.
>>
>>994006
oh yeah that'll be fine. I think a honda Super Cub would be great for SE asia, its really popular there too and those things last. I could buy a working one from 1967 in my area if I wanted.

>>994004
you DO know that motorcycles have much worse aerodynamics than cars right? they have drag coefficients around 1 compared to a car at like .3-.5.
But yeah a 250 should be able to handle hills and stuff, the problem is keeping up with traffic regularly going 80-90 mph and maintain comfort, which is why in that case maybe a 400 is better.
>>
>>994008
>you DO know that motorcycles have much worse aerodynamics than cars, right?
Much shittier drag coefficient, much smaller cross section, and combined it's why the best fuel efficient production cars and the best fuel efficient production 250+cc motorcycles have approximately the same fuel economy. So yes, I'm aware. Solve the aero problem and suddenly the power requirements are dramatically decreased.
>>
>>994010
the reason motorcycles are fuel efficient is because of their low weight.
>>
>>994014
No, that's what gives them their quick acceleration. The effect of weight on fuel consumption is relatively small compared to aero.
>>
>>994008
yeah. i love cubs but prices for parts (fairings, accessories, and or machine parts) are hiking up because of collectors and supercub clubs. i couldnt even find a fork properly. i love to have one in the future but practicality just wont allow it right now.

last question (for now), the 100cc bajaj and the 125cc honda (really just 119cc or something) are about 200 dollars apart if i pay cash up front. is that 25cc difference really that big?
>>
>>994017
>is that 25cc difference really that big?
No, it's 25 cubic centimetres :^)

People use cc as a shorthand, but really it's kind of meaningless. From a performance point of view, power output is the more interesting spec. And from a buying-a-cheap-small-motorbike point of view, the reputation of the model, availability of parts, general condition, etc are all more important.
>>
>>994020
Man /n/ has been so helpful. Thank you so much!
>>
>>994017
Look at the horsepower rating instead, thats a small difference
>>
Not to get all socio-political, but am I the only one who's sad that small motorcycles aren't more useful? The only reason they're not is because of super-powerful cars, and they cost so much by comparison.

Why is the speed so important?
>>
>>994075
Because it puts more money in to rich people's purse, and allows for the building of infrastructure that will all-but force people to buy in to it.

It was essentially a feedback loop where only governments and business owners benefited.
>>
>>994075
Acceleration is important for getting out of tight spots, getting in front of traffic after lane filtering, etc. Speed is important because some countries are big and have lots of distance to cover between cities.
>>
>>994407
I think you missed the point being made.
>>
is there anything i should look for if i intend to use something less than 150cc for climbing uphill/mountain roads for bikepacking?
>>
>>993232
Planning on buying a rouser 200ns in the future since anything higher than 250cc here in the Philippines is considered to be a luxury or as a hobby.
>afraid of going over 100+kph due to retarded drivers, shitty roads, shitty peds
>afraid of being stolen
Hell I usually see kids riding 100cc motorcycles moded to hell going ~100kph criss crossing other vehicles.
>>
>>993479

Murrikan rider in Italy here, we really need to get on board with splitting and filtering. It's amazing.

It's so hard to fight that "but they're cutting in line" bullshit to get it legal though.
>>
>>996604
>dat crab bucket mentality
You need to emphasise how it's literally a free thing the government can do to reduce congestion, since every bike that filters is one less vehicle in the queue.
>>
>>994591
What point? Speed is important because distance. The existence or non-existence of fast cars doesn't change that.
>>
>>996618
Pretty much any "distance" people routinely go is one that is short and not all that urgent.

And the time saved on the distance like the commute to work, or to the shops, is basically a few minutes from going 40, 50, 60, etc.

And if distance cannot be travelled swiftly more infrastructure will naturally build up closer to centres of population (evidence: the past), negating the need to worry about saving 2 minutes by going 80mph rather than 50mph in the first place.
>>
File: a2532a87.jpg (230KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
a2532a87.jpg
230KB, 1024x768px
A maxi scooter is a great option for an absurdly large amount of storage under the seat and in various compartments.
The windshield and nice seating position makes it a good commuter.[
85mph, maybe more if going downhill, 76 mpg.
I'm a 21 year old kid though, so its got a cheap loud ass exhaust :^)
It's way faster than my 2.0L 125 hp car Pic related, not mine
>>
File: South East Asia - 0770.jpg (80KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
South East Asia - 0770.jpg
80KB, 480x640px
I have a Honda Wave, 110cc. A whole 8.5HP on that sucker.

Literally moved house with that thing.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.