[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Sooo what are them fat tire bikes for?"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: 5aqE6n8i.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
5aqE6n8i.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
"Sooo what are them fat tire bikes for?"
>>
Shut up dad.
>>
File: hmm.png (272KB, 369x432px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.png
272KB, 369x432px
"soooo, uh, are those FAT tires fer sand or mud or what?"
>>
>>993083
They go anywhere, where I am there are hundreds of miles of ATV trails that 2.3" tires can't handle. I am sick of dealing with cagers and I only bike where they can't go. Hopefully this spring I am headed to the California/Nevada/Utah desert to do some backcountry exploration.
>>
Special snowflakes. MTB tires larger than 2.4 have popped up periodically for decades, yet have faded back into obscurity as they aren't good for anything. This time around though there's a big industry push because they saw the cash cow in it.
>don't you want to adventure?!
>they can go anywhere!
>so much traction, finally we solved that problem that everyone was having with 2.4s!
>extra good for beginners!
>>
>>993083
for people who suffer form autsim
>>
>>993083
"You asked the same question about my vape pen, dad."
>>
A moonlander just got posted on my craigslist, are these bikes fun or no?
>>
File: ML.jpg (227KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
ML.jpg
227KB, 640x640px
>>993161

I had a Moonlander (pic related) for a couple years in Anchorage. 4.8s are overkill for a lot of situations. Not that it isn't super fun, they're just slower. 100mm rims are heavy. I had Surly Bud/Lou tires, and those were super grippy tires that floated over everything. It's like cheating, endless traction. You don't really need to pick clean lines, it runs over it all.

Moonlander has the super offset 135mm rear wheel, which is a little goofy. I'd rather have thru axles found on modern bikes. But I've always had a hatred for the horizontal dropout/disc brake/quick release combination.

I'd say if you aren't riding backcountry desert or snow, go for a 3.8 tire bike with 60 or 80mm rims. Those are better fat bikes for all around riding that one might do on a 29er hardtail.
>>
>>993115
>>extra good for beginners!
Because it's easier to keep the bike upright, right?
>>
29+ is the most fun I've had since I got a BMX when I was a kid.
>>
>>993161
>gear hub
>quick release

Hehhhhhh?
>>
>>993115

There's some truth to your butthurt faggotry. Once it was clear that Surly and Salsa's fatbike niche was popular, all the big manufacturers jumped on board and flooded the market, and supposedly there's a ton of warehoused stock making it hard to move new gear.

Surly got bit by the backlog and cleared out their complete builds in a big firesale, and recently scaled back to two complete fatbike models. Now everyone has jumped on Surly's plus bandwagon, but I'm OK with that because plus bikes fucking rule.
>>
>>993265

Probably why it's for sale.
>>
>>993161
they are fun but overrated

i had a mukluk

they are so fucking slow it kind of makes their capabilities worthless in a lot of instances

i bought it thinking I could bike around in snow everywhere, which is far from reality

if you have more than about 2 inches of fresh snow and any significant grade to go up, you still don't have the traction to do so, I could kind of bike in this when running 3psi but its so slow its like whats the point

they are very fun on hardpacked snowmobile trails, I have some top times in strava segments in downhills on trails because they are used as snowmobile trails in the winter lel

you can really fly down hill on them, they are very forgiving, first ride was in the fall and I bombed a class 4 road and I have zero mtb skill and flew into a big ditch and then just flew right out of it because it didn't matter that I was crashing into all these rocks and shit, on a normal MTB I would have wiped out bad

I think the 29+ tires make a lot more sense, they are way faster and they still have a patch large enough to use on surfaces where fatbikes are actually fun (hardpack with less than 2 inches of fresh snow)
>>
File: fatbike.jpg (66KB, 924x665px) Image search: [Google]
fatbike.jpg
66KB, 924x665px
>word around the office is you got a fat bike
>maybe we should ride our fat bikes together sometime
>>
>>993161
>surly you canĀ“t be serious
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.