[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is that one thing you notice about another cyclist that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 10

File: image.jpg (57KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 600x400px
What is that one thing you notice about another cyclist that makes you think 'that guy has at least one DUI'?
>>
Rides in jeans and ratty clothing, gray beard and baseball cap, shitty unmaintained bike, jansport or some sort of canvas backpack, maybe a bell. Riding on the sidewalk with occasional jumps onto the road making life very frustrating for cagers
>>
Flipped-up drop bars
>>
>>992074
What are you supposed to ride in if you're a hipster on his way to work?
>>
Bikes to office job on shit tier bike and is out of shape

Real office job commuters usually have set bikes
>>
A saddle too low
>>
>>992089
Then everyone would have a DUI in the Netherlands.

Cyclist here trigger me till no end
>>
>>992073
adult on a too-small Walmart BSO
>>
>>992111
That applies to asians too tbqh
>>
>>992076
Those have been dubbed bum bars
THE MORE YOU KNOW!
>>
always uses big front gear
>>
>>992133
Or just the small chainring. Actually they don't shift at all
>>
walmart bike pumpin first gear riding on the wrong side of the road
>>
>>992073
Rides with the seat too low, salmons, older, looks miserable.
>>
>>992111

This. If you catch yourself thinking, "Is that his kid's bike or something?" that's a dead giveaway.
>>
>>992153
salmons? is that riding on the wrong side of the road?
>>
>>992165
It's riding against traffic
>>
File: IMG_1075.jpg (310KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1075.jpg
310KB, 1280x960px
>>992073

Drinking red wine on the bike track straight out of the bottle.

O wait....that's me :l
>>
>>992128
Why? Do they just not know how to install them or do they think they're bullhorns?
>>
>>992193
People do it because it offers a very upright position instead of being low, most people who i see do it are old people. not everyone has the cash or skills to convert it to flats
>>
>>992073
he's over 21 and riding a bicycle
>>
>>992193
while i realize you're a basement dwelling NEET but those who have jobs as adults often get lower back pain.
>>
>>992205
>basement dwelling neet
That would likely give me back pain, anon. Reality is I'm a gainfully employed full time student that just doesn't own a car. Maybe you would fit in better over at /o/
>>
>>992074
>Rides in jeans and ratty clothing, gray beard and baseball cap, shitty unmaintained bike, jansport or some sort of canvas backpack, maybe a bell.
pretty much this
>>
>>992073
OP, apparently you have too much time on your hands, if you're out riding and actually are thinking autistic-as-fuck shit like that. RIDE MOAR THINK STUPID SHIT LESS.
/thread
>>
>>992220
>dumb fred poster
>>
>>992077
That isn't really a hipster look 2bh. Also bums don't ride fixies.
>>992220
This is a pointless post.
>>
>>992270
Tattered jeans, beard, and baseball cap isn't hipster? Guess I've been doing it wrong..
>>
>>992274
you forgot
>big canvas backpack
>plastic shopping bag full of scavenged cans
>>
>>992274

Methinks you need to work on your homeless-or-hipster identification skills.
>>
>>992278
Sometimes I look in the mirror and can't even tell
>>
>>992076
/thread

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=DUI%20bars
>>
nearly flat tires, or for ultra homeless tier, no tires

in smallest/smallest gears

childrens bike

has brakes installed, but absolutely do not work at all

salmoning at 9pm with no lights
>>
My douchebag ex-friend got a DUI and bragged about being able to keep his license... His family had to shell out like 12 grand in lawyers fees and fines, and he had this stupid breathalizer thing installed to the ignition of his car.

Last I heard he got another DUI and now his license is gone, lol.
>>
Salmoning for more than a quarter block.
BMX bike as transport.
Baseball cap.
>>
>>992074
Fuck, so me.

I always figured the dudes that cobble together a motor kit for a bike had duis
>>
>>992335
I just assumed they were lazy
>he doesn't commute 10 miles each way on a single speed
>>
>>992073
Gym shorts and ratty t-shirts and running shoes, wearing headphones, squeaky chain, sometimes portable speakers blasting some horrible garbage for all to hear
>>992074
Basically this too, although the bell thing is more of a "middle aged crankster wannabe sheldon" thing around here
>>992077
Hipsters wear levi's commuter jeans and ride brand-name steel (columbus or reynolds) bikes with "definitely not a cyclist" helmets such as kask or brooks. Leather wrapped bars, barcon shifters instead of decent brifters, MKS pedals, and hammered metal Japanese fenders
>>
>>992302
>>in smallest/smallest gears

Don't know which way you mean this but don't inexperienced/casul cyclists usually mash way too hard a gear

>>992445
>"definitely not a cyclist" helmets such as kask

wot
kask helmets are pretty common road racer jut

>rest of the stuff
Jan Heine is a hipster?
>>
>>992463
I mean, Chris Froome just won the biggest cycling race and Team Sky (his team) uses Kask lmao
>>
>>992463
No, from what I see, they're a bunch of spinners who don't realize pedaling your ass off is as much an effort, if not more, than just up shifting. My non-biking friends try and make this argument every time we go on a fun ride.
I think most of these dudes just ride in whatever gear it was left in when they bought it.
>>
File: jan_pbp.jpg (146KB, 640x494px) Image search: [Google]
jan_pbp.jpg
146KB, 640x494px
>>992463
Other than his clipless shoes, yeah, this is pretty much what hipsters look like around here
>kask
Sorry I was thinking of bern, not kask
>>
>>992170
Le velo? Is that you?
>>
>>992073
Glass bottle in bottle cage.
Can't say I haven't done that with beer though.
>>
>>992073
A 2 stroke engine
>>
>>992463
>Don't know which way you mean this but don't inexperienced/casul cyclists usually mash way too hard a gear

Yeah, typically I'll see someone in a 50x12 gear riding the sidewalk at 8 mph. But I see a lot more riders in the small chain ring and small cog. I think it's just the natural position of an unmaintained drivetrain. If they shift at all, it just goes "crazy", so they leave it. If you removed all derailleur cables (or the cables were stretched to oblivion), the chain will sit on the small/small.
>>
>>992073
I have never thought this about anyone.
>>
>>992169
Hey don't knock till you try it
>>
>>992445
lel, barcons and mks pedals aren't 'hipster" you fucking fag, they're simply useful - with you on the hammered fenders though.
>>
>>993646
They're simply useful if you have to keep up your hipster credibility. For any other situation not so much.
>>
>>992073
riding a moutain bike
>>
>>993646
barcons are part of the same cancerous mindset that made fixies popular in 2006
>I can't take care of my shit so this makes me seem more "real"
>>
File: austin-sx-side-right.jpg (50KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
austin-sx-side-right.jpg
50KB, 1000x500px
Rides an electric """"bike"""""
>>
>>993665
fight me irl
>>
>>993650
>>993667
roadie scum detected
>>
>>993749
But it's pretty true.
Obviously, we're not talking on a trail here, but on the street.
After I was a little kid, the 'generic bike' changed from a BMX to an MTB.

Nothing shouts I HAVE A DUI AND NO RESPECT FOR HUMAN LIFE! louder than a MTB, in small gear, wobbling down the sidewalk or the wrong way down the road.
>>
>>992073
Pretty much everyone where I live drives a car unless you have a DUI. I'm a casual cyclist anyway but you see a lot of guys riding on sidewalks only with kids bikes, etc.

>>992311
Kek, where I live there has been guys caught after 14 times and still on the street, WTF?

>>992334
I will ride against traffic on very fast country roads where I can see a long distance ahead. In those situations it's not really dangerous and the cops don't care.

>>993665
>>993797
The "generic bike" nowadays is a MTB but that's better than a BMX for an adult to ride around town. For general riding it's still better than a tiny bike even if they don't go off road. The 80 dollar Roadmaster mountain bike is pretty popular where I live.
>>
>>992128
actually I always hear DUI bars
I think that's what he was getting at
>>
>>993802
>I will ride against traffic on very fast country roads where I can see a long distance ahead. In those situations it's not really dangerous and the cops don't care.
The problem comes when a motorist thinks he may hit you, or may hit you, and now his swerve is going to be an issue because he's swerving into traffic, and traffic that isn't expecting it at that point because it's a strange side now.

>but that's better than a BMX for an adult to ride around town
Didn't say it was better or worse but if you're just riding 'a bike' (Which at this point in time is an MTB) it's because you needed to, not because you wanted to.
>>
>>993765
Maybe if you consider everything with dropbars and brifters to be 'roadie'

Roadies don't like me because I have MTB pedals on my drop-bar hybrid (or as normies call them, 'a cyclo-cross bike'), and I have the dangerous disc brakes which can totally throw you over the bars if you use the front brake
>>
>>993968
Can someone explain me the using front brakes instantly throws you OTB meme?
>>
>>993968
>fake cx bike
>bragging about yr dangerously useless meme brakes
>shitting on stuff that's actually practical for touring and commuting
you sound like the hipster here m8
i bet you don't even have fenders
>>
>>993980
long-standing meme perpetuated by know-nothing novices that can't into brake modulation
>>
>>994022
I have the pleb black ones, not the rando-as-fuck hammered Japanese ones

My bags aren't even le authentic waxed canvas
>>
>>994022
hipsters prefer muh classic cantis, you dumb nignog
>>
>>993980
It's just a fear people can't shake off because it happened to them once when they were toddlers
>>
>>994029
Well, they got that right at least.
>>
>>994022
>disc brakes
>hipsters
I don't think you know what a hipster is, buddy
>>
if he's got a fixie, or is a messenger you can be 90% sure that he has multiple DUI.
also, all hardcore messengers in general have atleast one
>>
>>993980
It's not so much the using the front brake, it's using your front brake with disc brakes in the same manner you'd pull your other brakes.
You obviously don't have to pull as hard on discs, so over ya go.

It could all be solved by not being a retard.
>>
>>994211
If he's got a fixie you can be 90% sure he's a mouthbreathing retard, which tends to coincide with multiple DUI, so that sounds about right.
>>
>>994413
well i guess then i'm a mouthbreading retard. but despite me bombing the streets black out drunk no police pigs have gotten me.
>>
>>994425
The chance rises to 100% if riding a fixie with no brakes, by the way.
>>
>>994427
well fuck me sideways, i guess i really am a mouthbreather after all, because i ride my fixie the way it has to be, brakless
>>
>>994435
Unless you're competing at the velo, friend, fixies do not need to be brakeless.

I ride a geared road bike with two brakes and I hardly every use them, I just speed and slow by managing my acceleration, but they're nice to have.
>>
>>994704
good for you. i'mma stick with my brakeless fixie.
if you ride a fixie you might as well do it right, balls to the wall.
>>
>>994728
>if you ride a fixie you might as well do it right, on a velodrome
Fixed it for you my friend :^)
>>
File: feature_256.jpg (26KB, 610x392px) Image search: [Google]
feature_256.jpg
26KB, 610x392px
>>992074
>cagers

fuck you people
>>
>>994728
Oh, dear...
>>
>>992089
this desu, at least in my city. also too small mountain bikes
>>
>>992205
not if your white collar
>>
>>993709
one of my co-workers actually did this after a DUI but modified it so it can go past the limited speed (i think they're top speed is usually 30km/h)
>>
>>994753
youre on the wrong board famalam
>>
>>994749
there is no velodrome in my country, it makes me sad, i want to ride in a velodrome, actually
>>
>>994728
Natural selection in action.
>>
>>994994
i know, i want to die either way
>>
>>992089
Lots of people just don't know. I'd probably have given up riding if I didn't have /n/ telling me what was good and what to look for in a bike.

There is a lot of stuff about cycling that isn't exactly intuitive, lots of people just go to a kmart and buy a mountain bike BSO and then ride it once or twice a year.
>>
File: 1467942871381.png (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1467942871381.png
2MB, 1920x1200px
>>994427
Only if your a slow little bitch who can't bike
>>
File: 55MWqhs.png (256KB, 552x464px) Image search: [Google]
55MWqhs.png
256KB, 552x464px
>>995244
>>
File: EuroBidon.jpg (147KB, 1919x1014px) Image search: [Google]
EuroBidon.jpg
147KB, 1919x1014px
>>992170
>Drinking red wine on the bike track straight out of the bottle

That can be classy rather than DUI.
Well, more like Riding Under the Influence
>>
>>994728
>brakeless fixie.
>if you ride a fixie you might as well do it right, balls to the wall.
Who was that SanFran DJ who rides a single-speed brakeless?
>>
riding a bike with drop bars that isn't made of carbon. i mean, seriously who does that? it's not 1975 any more.
>>
>>995562
>riding a bike with drop bars that isn't made of carbon
Mine is titanium
>>
>>995562
you can't put racks on a carbon bike, retard
>oh but who bikes to work who doesn't have a DUI?
people who don't live in cager country
>>
>>995575
>you can't put racks on a carbon bike, retard
that's why you need a flat bar rack bike
>>
>>995575
>you can't put racks on a carbon bike, retard
What kind of retarded bullshit did I just read?
>>
>>995575
Yes you can
>>
>>995618
>>995621
You "can" but you have to make compromises

Point is if you're commuting and grocery shopping, a couple of onions or your office shoes are going to weigh more than whatever you save from muh aerocrabbon
>>
>>995651
>You "can" but you have to make compromises
No you don't. The frame material has absolutely nothing what so ever to do with what kind of racks it might or mightn't take. You're an idiot. Shut up.
>>
>>995658
That's not what he's saying. He's saying that the benifit you get from carbon, the low weight, it's going to be lost by whatever you out in the racks, let alone the racks themselves. Ya still save weight, but you see where this is silly?
>>
>>995662
That, plus the fact that carbon frames generally don't have proper hardware for normal racks. You can get adapters but it's asking for trouble. That's why you mostly just see half assed shit like seatpost racks on carbon bikes. Fine for a change of clothes but pretty limiting for much real carrying capacity.

There have been a handful of exceptions but if you're already at the point where you're picking from rare carbon bikes that might be able to properly handle real racks, rather than just getting steel or aluminum, you're just being dumb
>>
>>995662
No it won't, no I don't see what's silly and carbon is not just about weight, famalam.
>>
>>995670
And weight is not the only factor with racks either.
>>
>>995651
But the point of shopping was getting a couple onions.

This as retarded as the people who say to remove your water bottles to save weight.
>>
>>995669
>if you're already at the point where you're picking from rare carbon bikes that might be able to properly handle real racks, rather than just getting steel or aluminum, you're just being dumb
Because it would prove your non-point wrong it's dumb? You have issues, senpai. You made a retarded statement and is now backpedaling harder than any other autist on this board ever has.

If your point was 'don't buy expensive racer without rackmounts if you want racks' you could have said so, but oh no, you had to go out on an autistic tangent against garbon:DD.
>>
>>995683
anyone who posts stuff like >>995562
has no grounds for telling people they have a 'non-point' or that they have issues, fred, I mean friend
>>
>grinding a way too big gear
>saddle too low
>tyre pressure too low
>squeaky chain
>fat
>no bell
>>
>>993968
What about 26er MTB's with drop bars and slicks? Is that sacrilege to roadie freds?
>>
This thread gives me solace
>>
>>995676
Just as the point of a bike is *usually* something other than "I wanted to own an object made of that newfangled carbon"

I could understand your enthusiasm if it was 2002 and carbon for the masses was finally hitting the mainstream but let's get real here. It's not that exciting anymore and most of the advances we're seeing are in aluminum. If you want to show off how "with it" you are, get an aluminum bike so you can go "AYKTCHULLY" when someone looks at it askance

Or steel which is what literally every grocery getter/commuter drop bar bike is made of here in the normal world
>>
File: Screenshot_20160820_000429.png (9KB, 375x141px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160820_000429.png
9KB, 375x141px
>>995688
You're so cute, grasping at straws.
>>
>>995942
>no bell
y tho
>>
rigid MTB riding on the sidewalk
>>
>>996089
I've seen so many 14 year old kids with DUIs, holy shit america has a problem
>>
>>996111
story checks out
>>
>>996086
Do you think you have a point or something?
>>
>>996088
Depends on where you ride. On a road a bell is not useful, but if you use cycling paths you absolutely need a bell to not be a cunt
>>
>>996511
Or in my city's case, you're a cunt if you ring a bell, and a cunt if you don't.
>>
>>996530
Hey look it's that guy who thinks a bell is a cow catcher
>>
>>996538
I'm not your guy, pal. Never posted about bells before...

Just saying you're guaranteed dirty/shocked looks from walkers if you give them a warning ding that you're coming up behind them. Alternatively you can't silently swoop past that's rude. Solution is to slow right down and passive-aggressively change your gears or squeak your brakes until they are alerted of your presence and still leap out of the way in fright.

I hate mixed use paths :(
>>
File: 1471282903303.png (648KB, 755x468px) Image search: [Google]
1471282903303.png
648KB, 755x468px
>>992283
>TFW lack of motivation in life
>>
>>996539
You get the dirty/shocked look because you're dinging them when you're literally right there up on their ass.

People need to stop acting like pedestrians are the AI robots in a video game and pressing the bell button is a cheat code to make them leap aside.

A bell is one means of communicating your presence. You can use your voice or, as you noted, mechanical bike sounds. People can respond differently to each of those.

Just like growling *nneeyeer LEEEFT* at some old lady with a walker and getting mad when she doesn't instantly teleport to the edge of the grass, the problem is not the exact mechanism of generating the sound. It's the way you use it and your expectations as to the likely result.
>>
>>995244
>being literally suicidal
Kid, there are good reasons why sane jurisdictions mandate fixies have at least a front brake.
>>
>>996562
good post.
>>
>>996539
you use your bell a while before you reach them, usually they just move over gently without even looking and you can blow by at full speed. Everyone is happy.
>>
>>996539
Don't bother telling pedestrians that you're about to pass because they always think you're telling them to get out of the way. So the considerate pedestrians who keep to the side will think you're being a dick because they already think they're doing the right thing, which they are, by keeping to one side. You only need to use your bell to actually tell people to get out of the way. Like two or more people walking side by side. If they turn around and give a disgruntled look then just remind them, as you pass, that it's a 'shared' path. That's also a really good time to rip out a smelly fart because fuck those guys.

Or buy a flat bar road bike and ride on the road.
>>
90's rigid MTB. On the road!

Is it any wonder they never develop a passion for cycling and throw away that heavy old inefficient and horribly uncomfortable rusty thing as soon as they get their licence back.

Should've been on a fast and efficient flat bar road bike.
>>
>>997721
Got me untill flat
>>
>>997721
old steel 10 speed
>>
>>997733
In your autistic rage you posted in the wrong thread. >>997711
Thread posts: 130
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.