[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need a bike

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

File: 24194_1024x1024[1].jpg (64KB, 850x548px) Image search: [Google]
24194_1024x1024[1].jpg
64KB, 850x548px
I need a bike to get from A to B, sometimes short distances, sometimes long, maybe sometimes I'd like to ride with my friends. Definitely don't want a fixed gear. My friend had a $200 fixed gear/single speed and I really enjoyed the single speed. Another time I tried a bike with gears, but didn't switch often. Single speeds look nicer and I'd assume are easier to maintain because of simplicity. I'm looking to spend around $200, and there are options on citygrounds for this price range, but people are telling me to spend an extra $100. Thoughts? Currently looking at the $200 golden cycles and 6KU bikes on citygrounds.
>>
Buy used, anything you find new for that money will be crap
>>
>>990680
Just get a old steel mountain bike for like $50 replace the chain and the break pads and it'll do you good
>>
>>990684
/thread

OTS or 90s rigid mtb with semislicks
>>>/n/bbg
>>
>>990680
what a downtube
>>
File: Capture+_2016-02-27-17-54-34-1.png (2MB, 1440x764px) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2016-02-27-17-54-34-1.png
2MB, 1440x764px
>>990707
This. You can ride a mountain bike with slicks on almost any trail if you have the balance
>>
>>990680

B-but guys this one is all black and looks cool like the fixay guys I see

(hint for OP: anybody who knows anything about bikes lols at these POS 10-years-late wannabe tarck memes)
>>
>>990719
*tips meme hat*
>>
>Definitely don't want a fixed gear.
get a fixed gear
>>
>>990680
OP, I hope you don't mind but I'm in the same position as you so i thought I'd post here rather than start a new thread. It could help you too.

I went to the store today to get the cheapest road bike there,

This: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/carrera-zelos-road-bike-2015

or this: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/carrera-tdf-mens-ltd-road-bike

I don't know much about bike but the guy working there said I should get this: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/carrera-vanquish-road-bike-2015
instead as climbing hills will be hell on the first two.

Are these good bikes? Any good alternatives?
>>
>>991429
Those thing look like they will break on you second day of riding.
When you're on a tight budget for a bicycle, it's generally better to look at the second hand market.

I don't see why climbing would be worse on the first two.
>>
>>991445
>Those thing look like they will break on you second day of riding.
>When you're on a tight budget for a bicycle, it's generally better to look at the second hand market.

Fair enough. I don't really have much knowledge when it comes to bikes so I'm a bit hesitant to buy a second hand bike. What kind of things do I need to look out for?

>I don't see why climbing would be worse on the first two.
Apparently the gears on the last one is better.
>>
>>991447
>Fair enough. I don't really have much knowledge when it comes to bikes so I'm a bit hesitant to buy a second hand bike. What kind of things do I need to look out for?

All bikes:
* No rust
* Straight wheels (no wobble)
* No dry-rot tires
* hubs aren't covered in sticky grease (hubs need to be serviced)

Old Ten Speeds
* Alloy rims (not steel)
* no suicide lever brakes (google them)
* stem shiters = probably cheapo

Old MTB
* NO SHOCKS (cheap bike w/shocks = shit tier)
* V brakes preferable to cantilever but cantilever is okay

If you can score one of these in the $40-$80 range, then drop another $100 on the following, you are set for life:

1. New tires (~$60) Highest TPI you can afford. Slick or semi-slick ideal for pavement
2. New brake pads ($15). Koolstop is the standard upgrade. Important!!!! Major performance gain for safety
3. New chain ($20) (old chains probably worn out. slight chain rust is excusable for a good deal)
4. New saddle, comfy. Go full brooks if you can afford it.... most likely to enjoy it. Or get used cheap saddles on ebay because you will need to try many of them

If you live in the city, you'll also want hex-ended skewers to decrease theft odds.

You'll also want a MINI U-lock, and lock your bike up using the sheldon brown method
>>
>>991453
>go full brooks if you can afford it
'no' why do people perpetuate this meme?
>>
>>990685
>>990707

Another vote for this. Get a 90s rigid mtb, throw on slicks, and enjoy being able to travel on practically any terrain within your region. Less "simplicity", but you'll learn to work on a bike with very low stakes (it takes supreme effort to fuck up one of these bikes), nobody will want to steal it, and it will last longer than you do.
>>
>>991447
>>I don't see why climbing would be worse on the first two.
>Apparently the gears on the last one is better.
Yeah, that's bullshit talk.
Ease of climbing is determined by gearing and weight. Lighter gears are the small sprocket in front and larger in the back. Those look to have about the same gear rations.
At your level and price point there's not much point in being a weight weenie. Better to just keep riding whatever and harden the fuck up, and maybe lose a few pounds in the process.

>What kind of things do I need to look out for?
That's a too subtle question to be answered easily.
Go to local bike shops, look at different bikes at different price points. Take special not of dérailleurs and shifters. Compare that to the offerings on the second hand market. Use google to help do research.
Always look over and test ride any potential buy, to get an idea about mechanical condition and ride feel.
>>
>>991458
>>991453

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.
>>
>>991455
>'no' why do people perpetuate this meme?

You can buy three $40 saddles and hate them, or just put the money down for a B17 and see. Resale value is just -$10 sticker price if you don't scratch it

It is the one of hte most loved saddles in the world for a reason, even if it's not for everybody
>>
>>991455
Leather saddles, like leather shoes, shape themselves to your body.
Because a properly maintained and broken in quality leather saddle is superior tier for comfort.
This means that you have to put in some significant time in the saddle before it gets comfortable, and buying used is a horrible idea.
>>
>>991462
>Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

No problem.

I should warn you, you'll need to buy special tools to replace tires, chains. A set of metric allen wrenches will cover the rest

There are other costs to remember: tire pump, chain lube, spare inner tubes

If you don't want to buy all that stuff or deal with bike maintenance, get something like a Trek FX hybrid. They will be ~$400 and you'll end up paying more for maintenance at bike shops, but for some of us, working on bikes is a huge waste of time and annoying
>>
>>991445
>>991453
Going to try to hijack the thread for a moment but what sort of budget do you think is the minimum required to take up road cycling to a slightly more serious degree?

I've just been riding my dad's old bike which was incredibly cheap in its day (whenever that was) and if I had to replace even the dust caps they'd probably be worth more than the whole bike. Anyway I've put off spending anything to make sure I'm capable of sticking at it and I've been riding 5 days a week for the last month or so and it feels like time, as much as it pains my inner jew, to open my dusty wallet.

I'm in the UK, in case that makes a difference at all.
>>
>>991463
>it mould itself perfectly after your personal ass
>you can always sell it to someone else
>that doesn't have your ass
So the biggest selling point was a complete lie. Glad we got that out of the way. I wish I had a mfv.jpg for when hipsters buy someone elses chamois truffle butter smear for next to retail value.
>>
>>991467
>If you don't want to buy all that stuff or deal with bike maintenance, get something like a Trek FX hybrid.
>They will be ~$400 and you'll end up paying more for maintenance at bike shops, but for some of us, working on bikes is a huge waste of time and annoying

See, that's the thing. I wouldn't mind doing that kind of thing if I end up "getting into cycling" but for the time being I just want to start cycling around my city and I'm fairly busy these days. The bikes I posted are in my price range and seem good for just doing just that. Of course, at the same time I don't like wasting money.

Would there be anything wrong with just getting one of the bikes I posted then selling it and upgrading when the time is right?
>>
>>990680
I have Fx 7.2 2015 (16 is same but different)

Love it, its my first serious bike from a good brand and I am happy I invested in it.

Be prepared to buy a aftermarket seat, or ask if you can get another seat right away since original seat is dildo in disguise.

I researched it a lot and FX series are great bikes for what you need.

I bet you can even find used ones for your budget.
>>
>>991473
See Kona bikes. They are specialized in mtb but do all sorts of bikes for all budgets.

I bet you could find a good one.
>>
>>991472
>So the biggest selling point was a complete lie. Glad we got that out of the way.

No I'm not saying that.

I'm saying if you put a Brooks on your bike, and don't like it after the first few rides, you can easily resell it for nearly the entire purchase price.

That is not the case with cheaper, less hyped saddles.

Also, the B17 is one of the most loved saddles in touring cycling. People who spend more time on a saddle than all other riders outside of professional racers.

>>991473
>I'm fairly busy these days. The bikes I posted are in my price range and seem good for just doing just that.

If you are not particular about having a great deal, here's what I would suggest

Get the $200 single speed you posted, then get the shop to put on better tires. Do some research on this. Then a better saddle, and non-plastic pedals.

The single speed will be very low maintenance. It will not be good for hills, for the rain, or for anything but bouncing from one part of a flat town to another.

You could still do better hunting for a used single speed on craigslist, but without the knowledge of cycling, there is a good chance of getting ripped off
>>
>>991469
Wiggle sells a Tiagra tier Verenti for 722 € right now. So i'd say that's a lowball number for an entry level road bike, if you buy new.

>>991472
I don't know if what that guy said about resale on Brooks saddles is true, but if it is it's because hipster wannabes.

>>991473
See, what usually tends to happen when people cheap out on a department store bike is that you end up spending more time and money on repairs, you start to hate your bike and possibly cycling in general.
Then again, it IS a way of learning the value of having nice things, for when you decide to upgrade.
>>
>>991567
What the fuck? Why wouldn't it be good for rain? Stick some fenders on it and it'll be perfectly fine to ride in rain.

Stick some sensible gearing on an ss, harden up a little, and you will be able to deal with the occasional uphill too, no problem.
>>
>>991607
single speeds often (almost all of the time) have really narrow tires,that means it has less grip and it's easy to slip if you turn.
>>
>>991419
What benefits do fixed gears have over other bikes?
>>
>>991669
No practical benefits. It's a different feel.
>>
>>991648
I guess you're technically correct, but really it's not as bad as you make it sound.
I wouldn't consider rain as a factor when choosing tire width.
>>
>>991648
thats not how it works
>>
>>991648

because of the way they're shaped, bicycle tires do not hydroplane on wet surfaces, meaning they maintain a decent amount of traction on wet surfaces.

also, i assume from your '(almost all the time)', you've never been to a place where people mountain bike, because ss mountain bikes are still very popular.
>>
>>991607
>What the fuck? Why wouldn't it be good for rain? Stick some fenders on it and it'll be perfectly fine to ride in rain.

No eyelets, angsty faggot

Also narrow tires = higher pressure = shit rain performance

Also every bolt on that bike will rust upon contact with water

Thanks for posting though babe
>>
>>991740
>ss mountain bikes are still very popular.

Still? Even after everyone realized SS was retard hipster knee ruining shit? Neat

Wtf i love to htfu now full njs tarck masher spoke card surly fixed 27.5+ compass tires full campy
>>
>>991679
i mean it's not, but it is much harder if you have super skinny tires, you have to be careful with sharp turns.you can't stop pedaling, especially me, who rides a fixie, in a rather rainy country.you need a really good control/feel of the bike to skid thru corners. It's rather scetchy, and i tend to avoid it
>>
>>991819
point being, if you make a super sharp turn in a downfall with a fixie, you are most likely to fall on ya faze, the wheels just slide out from underneath you
>>
>>991741

you can get fenders that don't need eyelits you dumb faggot.
>>
>>991605
How about second hand? I was thinking slightly cheaper than that, though I'll consider it so thanks.
>>
>>991820
Slow down.

Don't ride a fixie.
>>
Hey guys, I was wondering where you look to buy a bike wheel, the frame, mine recently got bent from an accident, and I'm pretty sure the closest bike shop to me is over priced.
>>
>>992029
>eyelits

Raceblades? lol. They are shit. Also OP is a noob it would never happen
>>
>>991744

not sure how retarded to gauge you, as you seem to be going off on a tangent about retrofixie fags, while completely ignoring mtbss.
>>
>>991469
If you're in the UK you should definitely take a look at planet x. A decent bike with at least 105 components is a pretty good starting point.
>>
>>992044
>slowing down on a fixie
ride fast die last nigger
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.