[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buying first actual road bike.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

File: whattobuy.png (2MB, 1548x544px) Image search: [Google]
whattobuy.png
2MB, 1548x544px
Im in a dilemma, I want to buy my first good bike as i currently have a shit bike. There is a used bike store that i go to and i wanted to trade my shitbike. they had 2 high end bikes im interested in, A focus Variado tiagra which is 1300 regular for $850 CAD and a Cannondale caadX disc ultegra which is 2200 CAD regular for $1100, However it is a cyclocross bike fitted with road tiers, will it handle weirdly? To make the situation even more fucked up, im a student without a job, and i have 4000 in my bank account, i also get student funding from the government. What should i do /n/? also im 5'10 the cannondale is 54 and the focus says it is medium but when measured it says 52 although it feels fine.
>>
>im a student without a job
Don't buy either
>>
Fuck it, Im buying the ford Focus. im going to try to get the owner of the shop to swap saddles with another one since the one on this is shit and get bar tape included.
>>
>>990660
Buy a vintage steel bike. Miyata or Trek 400 or summat. See what used bike store has from the '80s
>>
>>990697
they have a nice old cannondale but i very much prefer brifters.
>>
File: YouGohnGitRaped.jpg (650KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
YouGohnGitRaped.jpg
650KB, 2048x1536px
>>990699
>implying one cannot brifter-up a vintage steel bike
>>
Huh turns out the wheels arent stock and are actually decently high end, the spinegry Xaero light.
>>
The cx bike won't handle weird, it just won't be quite as aggressive/fast. If you're not racing there won't be any harm, and it actually has the benefit of having clearance for wider tires so if you ever want to (even temporarily) convert it to a gravel bike or cx bike or touring bike, you can
>>
>>990702
yea but if you're gonna spread then dropouts like fine virgin pussy so that you can jam that big nasty 9 sprocket hub in you gotta make sure it isn't something like 753 cuz if it is that poor girl might get torn up inside
>>
>>990722
nigga learn how to steel
>>
>>990660
>Cannondale caadX disc ultegra which is 2200 CAD regular for $1100, However it is a cyclocross bike fitted with road tiers, will it handle weirdly?

You should probably save your money and get an old ten speed but the Cannondale can handle fat tires and would be awesome for road, some trails, and light touring rides. Fat tires are on-trend for a reason

http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/15562/what-is-the-difference-between-race-road-and-cx-bikes

>Cyclocross bikes will have a slightly different geometry. More like a relaxed road geometry with a higher bottom bracket than a road bike typically. You'll be stretched out a bit less and more upright. Cross frames also will have wider tire clearances for 32mm to 35mm tires, but it varies by model as some can fit 38mm to 45mm tires.
>>
File: variado_30_1024_1.jpg (85KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
variado_30_1024_1.jpg
85KB, 1024x768px
I have decided yo get the focus, however im 5'10 32 inseam and its a 54 Medium bike, i just barely fit it, think il swap out the stem. And what should i do with it color wise, should i get black bar tape or make it look like how it was originally.
>>
>>991184

Pretty much a blank canvas if you are replacing the stem (and the tires eventually).

Black stem. You could put the little blue highlights into Adobe Kuler to get an idea if you want colorful tape that is complimentary or triad (better imho)

https://color.adobe.com/
>>
>>991184
>i just barely fit
Don't buy it. Get a fitting bike within your budget. Doesn't matter if it will have a "lower end" group. Current year Sora is what 105 was five years ago anyway. If you have CAD800 that's about €600? Pic a decent model and try out all the sizes, settling on the best fit. It will do you good in the long run.
Buy a Verenti with Claris/Sora/Tiagra from Wiggle. It'll cost you the same or less and you get a free choice of size. This one, for example ↓
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-technique-sora-2016/

Never accept a "bargain" that is "almost" your size because you think it's a good markdown.
Even the €300 Tourney clit-shifter bike would be better if the choice is between it being properly sized and something else, "nicer" in slightly the wrong size.
>>
>>991216
is the 2cm that much of an issue? i have heard of people who buy bikes one size down and they find it better than their proper size. Guides say 54 fits to 5'9 and 32 inseam, im 5'10 32 inseam. I already tried the bike btw. i was pretty upright, but thats because the stem was all the way up. Gunna slam it. maybe swap stems
>>
File: Thor_01.jpg (86KB, 576x387px) Image search: [Google]
Thor_01.jpg
86KB, 576x387px
>>991223

I'm not that guy but I'll say it all depends on your body

I m 6'4 with a 37" inseam so I like a 58cm size bike. Specifically for a shorter Top Tube

Really depends on your proportions.

See this just to see how wrong conventional wisdom can be re:bike fit

http://www.velominati.com/racing/theory-of-bike-fitting-tall-riders-walk-their-own-path/

Without the experience of owning a lot of frames it's hard to say if you'll love your 54 or be totally fucked

Can you convince the seller to put a different stem on for the test ride?

Last thing: Even on a 58cm at 6'4 I like a short stem... 80mm, set low. I don't understand why but I've tweaked so many bike so many times I've found the posture that works for me alone
>>
>>990660
>im a student without a job

So get a beater on craigslist and fix it up.

If I knew you, and knew that you were on student assistance, and knew that you were planning to drop a grand on a bicycle, I would come to your house and beat the shit out of you.

Very few people need a thousand dollars worth of bike, you are not even nearly one of those people.
>>
File: 1468734047193.gif (1MB, 268x274px) Image search: [Google]
1468734047193.gif
1MB, 268x274px
>>991231
>person is spending his own money in a way I don't like
>better beat the shit out of him
>>
>>991233
>his own money

He didn't work for it. It's the fucking government's money, the taxpayers' money, given to him on the basis that he needs that money in order to live. And he wants to spend it on a luxury fucking bicycle?
>>
File: focus guide.png (23KB, 552x202px) Image search: [Google]
focus guide.png
23KB, 552x202px
>>991226
>>991216
this was from the focus website, think i will settle with the 54 and slam the stem, im young and got decent flexibility plus a good back, think il do fine.
>>
>>991236
the 4k in my bank account is money i was given from when i turned 18, my parents had me on some child grant and instead of spending it while i was a kid they just saved it for me. Im on OSAP and they give me 30% off my tuition and a lil more. I will still have to pay them back one day though. Luckily im not in female studies and in a STEM field so il do fine. Aircraft tech btw.
>>
File: IMG_0643[1].jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0643[1].jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
wew
>>
>>992048
Nicely done, man. The matching bar tape and saddle makes the bike look much more valuable. Treat it well and enjoy!
>>
Get there cannondale with hidden cables.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.