[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bike acts up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8

File: rusty_chain.jpg (910KB, 4502x2448px) Image search: [Google]
rusty_chain.jpg
910KB, 4502x2448px
So, I know you'll probably think I'm retarded or something, but this morning my bike felt very differently. Pedalling felt really stiff and bumpy, hard to describe. I looked at the chain and noticed that it has become very rusty (the last few days were sort of rainy).

Pic related. It's an old road bike, probably as old as I am, but I like it very much. So what I'm really asking is: How bad/urgent does this look? Do I need to buy a completely new chain or can I do something with the old one? What about the gear? I'd just do it myself as good as I can, but last time I did that I ended up in a coma for a week, so I'd kind of appreciate an opinion from someone who actually knows his shit.
>>
>>989448
>oil chain
>ride a short distance
>flush chain out with oil
>repeat as needed
>>
File: chainwear_1-2.jpg (13KB, 400x223px) Image search: [Google]
chainwear_1-2.jpg
13KB, 400x223px
>>989448

Inevitable if you ride consecutive days in the rain, not a huge deal. Lube it, ride, lube again. Do not attempt to scrape it clean or degrease with a chain cleaner.

It might need to be replaced, there's no way to tell with those pictures. What determines chainwear isnt rust, but how much the chain has stretched. You need a chain wear checker to see if it's time to replace, a simple one pictured to the left.
>>
>>989448
Fresh rust on chain is usually purely cosmetic. It should suffice if you oiled the chain, rode some, cleaned the chain to take off gunk and lube it again.
>>
>>989449
>>989450
Thanks a lot, will get some oil this afternoon and see how it works out.
>>
File: 1470293597058.jpg (637KB, 1782x2270px)
1470293597058.jpg
637KB, 1782x2270px
I just re-read OP and took a closer look at the pic.

See that bit circled in red? That's called sharktoothing. When your chain catches onto that bit there's a good chance it'll skip right over it, causing a stutter and jerk to your pedaling.

Worse, that shit accelerates chainwear. I would get that cassette changed asap.
>>
You clearly need a new cassette, chain and big chainring.
>>
>>989454

Chainring looks fine to me, but yeah cassette for sure and chain as well probably just to be safe.

Luckily Shimano 6 speed cassettes are like 10 bucks, and a good KMC 6-7 speed chain is like 8 bucks tops.
>>
File: IMG_0174.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0174.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>989455
>>989454
>>989453
Wow, I never noticed that, but that sure doesn't look like it's supposed to have that shape. Is it realistic to change the parts myself? I mean, sure it depends on how retarded exactly I am, but is it considered a hard thing to do compared to, say, changing the tires/tube?

Again, thanks a lot, I would have fucked this up badly on my own.
>>
>>989458
You need a few tools but it's easy. If you keep riding it be careful. Don't stand up to cat 6 some niggaz with a beastly powerful attack because the chain could easily slip and fuck your shit up if your weight is forward.
>>
>>989458

Chain is super easy and quick, uniglide cassette removal will require specialized bicycle tools(definitely won't find them in a run of the mill tool kit.)

What you're going to need is a chain whip, two of them to be exact. Off-brand chain whips cost about 5-10 bucks and work just as well as the name brand stuff, which cost 25ish. Check out a video of the process here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zWYLb2RMPA

If you don't want to buy the tools I highly suggest trying to find a local bicycle kitchen/co-op. They will 100% have any tool you could possibly need and can assist if you run into trouble.
>>
>>989448
You need to wash your small hands of cheetos dust before lubing your chain anon
>>
File: 11501524994_5775f9809c_o.jpg (50KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
11501524994_5775f9809c_o.jpg
50KB, 600x450px
>>989458

Also here's a picture of sharktoothing of the chainrings(the cogs on the crank.) From what I could see yours looked fine, but spin the crank a bit and see if there are any teeth that look like this.
>>
File: _20160804_010434.jpg (103KB, 720x742px)
_20160804_010434.jpg
103KB, 720x742px
>>989448
>replace the chain it's out of spec.
>grease the niples
>hub is probably out of Spec too
>as for the webeel wable, your main bearings are probably toast.
>looks like break line is reached its end of life
>rough ride? New seat coils or front shocks if equipped.

Mate for the sake of your time and money just get a new bike.
>>
>>989453
That is not a shark's tooh, you spastic retard. That is a shifing aid ( release ramp for upshifting to be exact ).

Shark teeth go a different direction and are uniform over the entire sprocket.
>>
File: 566.jpg (50KB, 400x300px)
566.jpg
50KB, 400x300px
>>989458
Don't listen to those retards. Your drivetrain is fine, it has plenty of life in it. What you see on the cassette are shifting aids, specian ebossments and ramps on the cogs to aid chain changing cogs.

Take a look at pic related. Sram force, even more aggresively cut to make shifting as fast as possible.

Your drivetrain is fine, it just needs cleaing/lubing.
>>
low self worth all up in this thread. have a bit of confidence op, watch youtube videos or just read wordy explanations until you understand what youve been told to do then do it carefully and good luck
>>
>>989458
just oil it - it's fine.
>>
Anon, the most you'll ever have to do for that is replace chain, replace cassette, replace cables, tune your derailleurs, oil your bearings/headset (if necessary).

>>989474

>The wheel on your car has gone flat
> You should get a new car

How does it feel to be dumb?
>>
File: IMG_20160806_145323.jpg (4MB, 4160x3088px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160806_145323.jpg
4MB, 4160x3088px
I've got a friction shift bike that won't shift the rear derailleur. And if I manually move the chain it just shifts down again.
>>
>>990596
You have no wire housing. Aquire housing.
>>
>>990596
No housing. Also please consider routing the chain through the cage correctly.
>>
>>989477
>>989479

Definitely a moron, probably a troll. Your parents are really, really disappointed in you, for fucks sake do something productive with your life.

http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/5360071275/shimano_mftz206428.jpg?w=1100&h=1100&a=7
>>
>>990596
Jesus fuck how can one person screw up everything so much
>>
>>990644
Hey I didn't do it I'm just trying to fix it
>>
>>990596
lube your chain too while you're at it, retard
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.