[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Career in bicycles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

File: Bike_Mechanic.jpg (69KB, 640x531px) Image search: [Google]
Bike_Mechanic.jpg
69KB, 640x531px
So I want to become a bicycle mechanic as a full time job. I live in Canberra AU and already have some basic skills from the home maintinence I do.

Should I do a course first, or find an employer who will train me on the job? Despite Canberra being a very cycle friendly city, I can't find any courses held here. Is it worth uprooting to Melbourne to do one?
>>
>>987132

A neighbor and friend from my stint as a Brooklyn hipster scumbag set up a bike shop in a burned out storefront, no joke. He was a goddamn squatter ahahaha. Bought his tools, spare parts, and a folding workstand with him to work every morning, took it all home with him when he left at night.

Now his shop is actually booming and he pays rent like a normal business owner. Last I spoke to him he had just hired a second mechanic and someone to handle the front end.
>>
>>987132

Fun fact: bicycle mechanics are the lowest paid profession

Yes, the lowest paid period. Pizza delivery dudes and fast food "cooks" will get to look down their pimply noses at you.
>>
>>987135
I would totally do something like that, but my city's population is only 350K and it already has an least five or six bike stores.
>>
>>987136
Minimum wage is higher here, but besides that why do I need a lot of money? I have zero desire to reproduce, have more than 1 bedroom in my house, or more than 100 horsepower in my car and may even ditch the car.
>>
>>987138

Always room for one more.

Aside from that, if you want training I suggest looking into volunteering at a local bicycle co-op. That's how I got my bicycle wrenching chops.
>>
Apply to jobs at bike shops and tell them you have experience working on your own bikes (assuming that's what you meant by home maintenance). Fuck it, you could even mention that you learn some tips and tricks on a Japanese anime cycling imageboard!
>>
>>987132
>So I want to become a bicycle mechanic as a full time job. I live in Canberra AU

Don't
>>
>>987413
Why not?
>>
I'd tension her spokes if you know what I mean.
>>
>>987413
If bikes and repairing bikes is your hobby,becoming a mechanic will make you hate it.

Never make your hobby your job.
>>
File: 1464728585499.png (15KB, 686x732px) Image search: [Google]
1464728585499.png
15KB, 686x732px
>>987421
Meant for >>987418
>>
>>987421
>Never make your hobby your job.

this so much, also the only way to make real money as a bike mechanic is to actually be a bike shop owner or really be a mechanic for team sky.... 1 in a few millions
>>
>>987139
Retirement is nice.
>>
>>987439
What about as a job during college of you already have money?
>>
>>987138
I wish I lived in a bigger city. So difficult to sell used bike stuff here without practically giving it away.
>>
Do you really want to be a mechanic full time? It gets very old quicker than you expect.

I got my job having zero experience save for the most basic of maintenance on my bike, and half a year later it can really wear on you, especially in some shops where you're doing customer service on top of wrenching.

It sucks knowing a lot about something and having to explain things that are simple to people that just don't get it. And it really sucks changing tubes day in, day out when you know how simple and cost effective it would be if people weren't lazy fucks and decided to learn to do things for themselves.

That being said, it's a fun job when it's slow, and working on things you love is fun, even if it can get old. And if you're lucky, you'll work at a shop that gives you good fucking deals. 10% above cost off everything in my shop. Basically anything half off.
>>
>>987462
sure wreck your hobby for a few years what do I care?
>>
>>987729
I have been wrecking my hobby for almost four years now!
>>
File: 1368336095041.jpg (173KB, 679x631px) Image search: [Google]
1368336095041.jpg
173KB, 679x631px
The customers are all cheapass, tightass fuckwits who never want to spend money on making shit actually work but expect you to make it work anyway.

Dealing with them on a daily basis will make your life worse. Don't do it.
>>
changing tubes and working on BSOs from a previous generation that have something wrong on every part make me wish I didn't have to work on others' bikes
>plastic brake levers
>polished brake tracks on rims that have a million wobbles that no spoke tension magic can smooth out
>square block non-angle-adjustable brake pads on sheet metal caliper brakes that seem to have been bent out of line since they were created
>headset is indexed or loose as fuck
>single-piece crank and bottom bracket on its way to wiggling itself free
>freewheel wobbles as it spins
>shitty index shifters that should just be friction
>disintegrating saddle cover
>derailleurs are bent and seem to be made out of an unusual amout of plastic
>tire beads are so loose (haven't been inflated in years) they are practically falling off the wheel as you roll/carry the cobweb-covered heap to the repair stand
>chain surprisingly isn't fucked, but it doesn't matter because the bike can't be ridden
The customer has dragged four of these kinds of "bikes" in the bed of a pickup truck to be checked in for service during a customer mob on a busy Saturday

but then I feel better when I get to work on and ride real bikes
>>
Not op but are there any good books/webpages/youtube channels that will help teach me how to work on my bike? I enjoy working on my bike and would like to be able to do all my own repairs if possible.
>>
>>987835
cooking with jack
>>
>>987835

Google Zinn bicycle repair, there's a mountain bike and a road bike version.
>>
>>987837
Oh fuck I forgot about this asshole.

>>987838
Thanks anon I will check this out
>>
>>987842

For more obscure shit(such older bikes with dead/failed "innovations" like chainstay U-brakes) Sheldon Brown is a good resource.

I had the same idea as you a couple years back, ended up with a box full of tools I used once and never again. If there's one near you I would highly suggest volunteering at a bicycle co-op. They will have all the tools you need, instead of having to buy all that crap. Another plus is that you'll have access to someone more experienced doublechecking your work.
>>
>>987843
>box full of tools I used once
the MGTOW version of having made it in life
>>
>>987132
This is why I do my bikes myself.
All these clueless people romanticizing about a bike mech " " "career" " " ending up doing people's bikes and being disgruntled over their shit lives.
>>
>>987132
Why is she wearing panties and standing there with her butt jutting out as she works on a gaspipe fixie in some random alleyway?

Is this what Australian hillbillies think happens in cities?
>>
>>987834
>all that greentext
You wanna give me ptsd niqqa?
>>
do bike shop guys get mad if I try to fix something at home first and then bring it in?
>>
>>987868
Depends, really. Bike shop mechanic is possibly one of the most soul destroying jobs, (with some interesting highlights).

But you do not have to stay there forever.
I left the shop to work as mechanic and support for disabled cycle sessions, then started doing the maintenance on a local activity centers bikes in my spare time.

Now I run two cycling sessions a week aimed at disabled users, one group ride session for all, work as a mtb guide and instructor in the rest of my time off and I love it.
Our groups are starting to become pretty busy (therefore self funding) plus we apply for grants from various bodies to help in the acquisition of new equipment.

Sometimes a shit job can be the start of something great.
>>
>>988213
No, it's your bike. If you fuck it further it will just cost you more to get it fixed.

Remember. Free cake and biscuits may or may not go a long way towards a mechanic prioritizing your bike over the others due for repairs.
>>
>>987834

There is literally nothing wrong with one-piece cranks.
>>
Why is her chain so slack?
>>
>>988242
So as not to overly strain the drivetrain. If you're not skidding around there's no need for TITE CHAINZ
>>
>>987132
Most major employers will train you on the job, but often without prior professional experience, you will have to do a season as sales to start (if the shop sells bikes as well as services them)

I've been working full-time as a bicycle mechanic in Seattle for over 2 years now. The pay wanks, and I wouldn't want to do this forever, but I work in a really great LBS with a lot of cool people.
>>
>>988230
no
>>
>>988297
I personally hate a sloppy ass slack chiand lookin track stand. mo fuka
>>
>>987132
Can I bring my bicycle to you for Canberra maintenance mate
>>
>>988696
It's best if you get a job at a local place. They generally seem cooler with giving you a chance to learn from the get go. Too much red tape with a big chain.

That being said, chains are nice cause they often times will send you out to certification classes and shit.
>>
>>988227
if a customer brought in a bike then came back with a dozen donuts for the shop i would drop everything and do their bike on the SPOT
>>
>>989802
What if they brought the donuts at the same time as the bike?
>>
>>989834
unacceptable. im putting your bike in the back of the shop and losing the work order.
>>
>>987824
Newsflash, that's human beings in a nutshell regardless of what you do
>>
>>987874
I came into this thread to find this post
>>
>>989419
Depends what it needs. I can do almost anything except truing rims
>>
>>987834
this is my feel everyday. most people don't deserve to own bicycles.
>>
>>987835
sheldonbrown.com
parktool.com
>>
There is an add on Instagram I saw today about courses in Australia, I'd presume it'd be across the country.

I wouldn't worry about the pay as minimum wage isn't too bad here. From what I've seen bicycle mechanics are in desperate need in little franchise bicycle shops, but the mechanics that do work there seem miserable and rude. The mechanics at 99 Bikes (The big company) seem like they love their jobs and I see them outside riding bikes together in the carpark. I'd presume the pay there would be higher than a franchise as well.
>>
>>988230

Die.
>>
>>987440
Are there really people who want to live past 50?
>>
>>987139
>Minimum wage is higher here, but besides that why do I need a lot of money? I have zero desire to reproduce, have more than 1 bedroom in my house, or more than 100 horsepower in my car and may even ditch the car.

You need to visit /pol/
>>
>>992570
>Are there really people who want to live past 50?

The ones that have 6 grandkids to play with and love, yes. But you want to die alone on weed or whatever you crust punk angst fairies do
>>
File: pics_DSCN1716[1].jpg (46KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
pics_DSCN1716[1].jpg
46KB, 640x480px
>>987132
I suggest you try it for a week or so.

Do you really want to change tubes and tires for hours and hours and have to convince customers that a "bit of lube" wont make pic related stop skipping and make horrible noises for the upcoming years?
>>
>>992720
>die alone on weed
Dude not funny,My aunt,dad,wives son,brother in law and our son died of dude weed lmao.
>>
>>992720
Kekked
>>992570
Everyone thinks this when they're twelve
You'll grow out it
>>
>>992719
Lurked pol.
Still don't understand why I would owe the world anything.
>>
File: WAKE ME UP.jpg (59KB, 550x309px) Image search: [Google]
WAKE ME UP.jpg
59KB, 550x309px
>>992722

>Can't you just spray a little oil on it?
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.