[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aluminum Bike Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 46

File: CAAD12 105.jpg (299KB, 1613x1080px) Image search: [Google]
CAAD12 105.jpg
299KB, 1613x1080px
So i just bought a CAAD 12 105 to replace by 1998 steel Bianchi Campione that i bought as my first road bike when i was a teenager.

I test rode a lot of other bikes--Trek Emonda, Giant TCR, Scott Addict, Specialized Tarmac--and i surprised myself by liking the Cannondale best, not just because it was so much cheaper, but i actually like the way it felt. Sure, it is not quite as silky smooth as the carbon bikes, but it had a snappyness--so eager, athletic, playful and agressive--that i felt many of the other other bikes lacked. There is something in the bike that i felt was a good trade for the smooth ride of the carbon bikes that i rode. Maybe it's more the geometry than the material. The CAAD12 i think has more traditional racing geometry than most of the other bikes i rode, but i feel there was something in the frame itself, the feel of it, that i really liked. My second favorite was the Tarmac, but it was so much more money.

Does anybody else love modern aluminium road bikes. Or maybe just the CAAD12? Am i crazy? I love my new bike.
>>
Been riding a Trek Emonda ALR 6 for a while now. All the other components are carbon (tubular wheels, bar, seatpost, saddle, pedals) but the frame is surprisingly smooth. Really have nothing bad to say about it.

Still wanna go back to a full carbon frame at some point tho. (have owned carbon 5 series Madone and Domane in the past)
>>
Can't handle the road chatter
Enjoy your ulnar nerve damage
>>
File: 1461862242867.gif (2MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1461862242867.gif
2MB, 200x200px
>>986726

We're more than halfway through 2016 and you bought a bike with rim brakes.
>>
>>986747
This seems to be a little bittle of an unpopular opinion on here, but I totally second this post.
>>
>>986745
Frame material had very little influence on road chatter compared to tyre width.
>>
File: 0000.jpg (287KB, 1190x790px) Image search: [Google]
0000.jpg
287KB, 1190x790px
>>986747
Road bike disc brakes are unaesthetic bullshit for tasteless plebs. You get a pass if you ride long alpine descents, but otherwise it's inevitably those who barely ride at all, and have never ridden a bike with modern rim brakes, that want them.

I'll wait for someone to post a picture of their disc bike on a mountain road and prove me wrong.

>>986726
You dun good op
>>
>>986747
Fuck off. Disc brakes are completely unnecessary on the road unless you ride in the wet.
>>
File: those seatstays.jpg (79KB, 880x587px) Image search: [Google]
those seatstays.jpg
79KB, 880x587px
>>986747
OP here--the only reason i can possibly fathom, and the only thing that tempted me, to buy the CAAD12 105 disc were those beautiful sculptural seatstays with no brake bridge.

outside of that, i'm paying an extra couple hundred bucks to add at least a pound to my bike for some crap that i neither need nor want. since when did road cyclists begin to believe they were downhill mountain bikers? i'll consider disc brakes on my road bike when a) they weigh the same as rim brakes, and b) my rides consist of nothing but descents
>>
>>986758
While they are not an absolute necessity, they still are better.

So your post is just useless and pointless.
>>
>>986758
Sir i think you have modern rim brakes which work exceptionally well in the rain and steel rims confused . I think you have also mixed up actual cyclists and bitch ass little princesses who don't like riding in bad weather.
>>
>>986762
FUCK i wanted that bike so bad when i was a teenager. i completely would have bought any new Bianchi with that paint job even if it were built out of plumbers pipe. now i kind of miss my Campione. not really, though. that bike was used up.
>>
>>986761
You're pointless and i would bet money you do fuck all long climbs with your dick brakes.
>>
>>986767
Did it have 8 speed mirage? I do not miss riding 8 speed mirage at all lol.
>>
>>986762
I don't ride in the rain because I live in California. I'm only granting the rain argument to people who have to deal with that because I have no first-hand experience.

>>986761
More expensive, more complicated, vastly more of a pain in the ass to maintain if they're hydraulic and in the end they are just barely better than a good set of caliper brakes in a limited set of situation. Also, they won't save your ass in any situation where rim brakes wouldn't. If you can't lock up your front wheel with rim brakes then your bike is garbage or you are garbage.
>>
>>986761
Better in what way?

I've got dick brakes on my cross bike which is the only complete bike I currently own. Every time I remove the front wheel (flat repair, packing it in the car, etc.) I have to sit and dick with the front caliper for 5 minutes to get it to stop rubbing.

I just bought a Bianchi Intenso frame that I'm building up with eTap and I can't fucking wait to own a bike with rim brakes. I'm putting tubular wheels on the cross bike and, Allah willing, I won't have to take the wheels off basically ever.
>>
>>986726
I had a CAAD9 for a while that I loved but I got hooked on old steel bikes for purely aesthetic purposes. I'm regularly tempted to impulse-buy a CAAD12 because I know it's going to be good.
>>
People who advocate road bike disc brakes remind me of Betsy Andreu- opinionated, obnoxious, completely ignorant, unfamiliar with cycling and sort of right.
>>
File: 1999 campione.jpg (21KB, 388x294px) Image search: [Google]
1999 campione.jpg
21KB, 388x294px
>>986771

those old Campy Mirage components were always kinda garbagey, even new. i shoulda sprung for the Veloce, but i didn't have the scratch when i was 16
>>
>>986726
>Does anybody else love modern aluminium road bikes. Or maybe just the CAAD12? Am i crazy? I love my new bike.
They're using improved manufacturing techniques with aluminum now. It's not just extruded tubes welded together. They're getting near CF-level performance out of it. I'd get one.
>>
>>986745
Will I be ok?

t. Toothless Vitus 979 rider
>>
>>986791
>Vitus 979

pics?
>>
>>986760

Resale value.

Rims brakes are going the way of the dinosaurs. A frameset without disc mounts has dramatically lower resale value, and it's going to get even worse in the future as most people move away from what is now utterly obsolete technology.
>>
>>986807
You would care about that wouldn't you, mr doesn't ride faggot. Real men ride their bikes into the ground.
>>
>>986809
OP here--absolutely this. i kept my last road bike for almost 20 years and rode it into the trash heap. who cares about resale, particularly on a bike as reasonably prices as a CAAD12 105?
>>
Looks like someone is seeking validation not to feel buyers remorse.
>>
>>986812

Then rim longevity, superior lever feel, modulation, stopping power, and brake performance in dusty or muddy conditions, inclement weather, etc should be reason enough

There is literally no reason to be clinging to dual pivots anymore. Disk brakes are to dual pivots as dual pivots are to stamped single-pivots. You may as well have kept your old bianchi.

>>986809

No True Scottsman etc

>>986814

Pretty much, yeah.
>>
>>986815
>There is literally no reason to be clinging to dual pivots anymore
becose ur a faget
>>
File: 20160727_203012.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160727_203012.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
Steel is real, but alu is fucking rad.
>>
I had a CAAD10, I miss it. I need to get a CAAD12 frame when they become available.
The CAAD10 was the best feeling frame I've ever had when climbing out of the saddle. Felt awesome.
>>
>>986745
>Only carbon bikes are rideable! You will die otherwise!
>>
File: trek-emonda-alr-5-232333-1.jpg (303KB, 2000x1193px) Image search: [Google]
trek-emonda-alr-5-232333-1.jpg
303KB, 2000x1193px
>>986726
ALR 5-6 is the best ALU bike imo
>>
>>986807
Stoked to hear this. I will be here scooping up all these frames without disc mounts for pennies next year.
>>
File: bettiniphoto_0065893_1_full_670.jpg (36KB, 670x446px) Image search: [Google]
bettiniphoto_0065893_1_full_670.jpg
36KB, 670x446px
>>986859
>Trek
>Best anything
>>
>>986726
>Amazing aluminium frame
>Cannonjew ruins it with bb30
>>
Should I get the CAAD8 Sora or the Allez E5 Sport as my first road bike?
>>
>>986915
Ride 'em.
>>
What's the name of the alloy that is typically used for bikes?
>>
>>986925
Either 6000 or 7000 series aluminum.
>>
>>986915
>Should I get the CAAD8 Sora
Yes. Prettier, cheaper and nicer brand.
>>
Fuji Roubaix,

Under rated as fuck, 2016 frame is light as shit could easily sub 6.8 this bike
>>
>>986873
Rim brakes aren't going anywhere soon

They've been saying CX bikes will all have discs now for about 3 years

Pros still prefer canti brakes

UCI has a ban on discs in the pro peloton. People want to buy what the pros use.

There is little need for discs on road bikes.

Rim brakes will be around for a long, long time.
>>
>>986973
>UCI has a ban on discs in the pro peloton.
No they don't. Keep with the times. Nice new trip, Schwalbe.
>>
>>986915
Both great bikes. It sort of depends--do you like classic geometry with a straight top tube, or the more modern curved top tube?

CAAD8 has BB30. Allez E5 has an external BB. So if you do your own maintenance the Allez will be a little simpler, and less chance of creaking.

I myself own the Allez DSW SL Comp, and I fucking love that bike. It's stiff and handles amazingly, compared to the CAAD8, though I'd say the CAAD12 is its competitor comparatively.
>>
>>986815
>t. Non-rider
>>
>>986973
>UCI has a ban on discs in the pro peloton. People want to buy what the pros use.

I love my dual pivots, but this is fucking retarded. I hate it that the industry forces shit on us that easily.
>>
>>986815
>There is literally no reason to be clinging to dual pivots anymore.

There is a point in tech where things don't need to be improved. Dual pivots on a road bike, with a normal-weight rider, at 100% effective and there is no reason to need more stopping power

Hydro brakes can fail. Di2 is stupid. If you aren't over 200lbs and you have something like koolstop pads there is no reason to buy a new bike for dick brakes
>>
Changing a brake disc is easier and cheaper than relacing a new rim.
>>
where/what are my options for finding a secondhand aluminum frameset? (in other words, not some full price modern job)

what could i expect to pay?
>>
>>986726
Alu bikes are underrated
They are light,reliable for the most part,corrosion and UV resistant,and have this "lively" feel you're talking about,mostly the higher end ones though.

They rightfully fill the gap as
>Carbon>Aluminum>Titanium(yes titanium is a shit fred material that no-one in their right minds could staple as "high performance")>>>>>steel
>>
File: IMG_20160728_194819312.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160728_194819312.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>986794
I'm poor, I can't outfit it the way I want it to look.
>>
>>987110
Man, that lighting makes it look so much more busy
>>
>>987074
Er what exactly is wrong with that build aside from your fork being bent? It's not going to 'look' good unless it was specced minimally.
>>
With aluminum bikes getting lighter and lighter, aren't the tubes really thin? Won't they dent easily? Wouldn't it be better to go for carbon instead once you go into the $2000+ price range?
>>
>>987117

Really depends.
Team-issue alu and carbon are both basically going to tossers after a crash, in most cases.

The tubes are really thin, yes. Easily dented, yes. Hell, I put a dent into the top tube of my entry-level aluminum mountain bike frame a few years back.

For a road bike, I don't think it would matter much outside of a thoroughly destructive crash. Most of the time you'll either just scratch the paint, MAYBE bend the derailleur hangar, or you'll total the frame. There's not all that much in-between.
>>
>>987117

Everything dents easily. Although I guess carbon doesn't dent, it cracks or shatters.

Before obsessing over frame material it's better to sort out wheels and tires. It mystifies me when I see people riding a high end bike equipped with piece of shit factory wheels and luganos.

Easiest way to sort out morons from real cyclists? Take a peek at their wheels.
>>
File: David Kirk.jpg (2MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
David Kirk.jpg
2MB, 1600x1200px
>>987074
No, i've owned a carbon tomasso and this isn't right, that bike was a piece of shit.

high end carbon > high end aluminium > high end steel = titanium > low end carbon > low end steel > low end aluminium

Aluminium bikes aren't overrated, they're trendy at the moment. Hipsters buy them because they finally accept a high performance road bike is GOAT but they don't want to contradict their earlier ranting about spandex wanabees, freds, and passing racing tryhards on their fixie/ rigid mtb. Not buying carbon allows them to actually have a good bike and still maintain their fragile delusions.

>>987063
>second hand frameset
Not really a thing unless it's steel. Look for a complete allez/ caad/ whatever from the past 5 years or for an old Klein/ Cannondale which are brilliant bikes although with harsh rides.
>>
>>987121
eh you're right but lots of people don't have the $$ and build their good bike incrementally. That's like hating on the man with no bar tape who's just testing his hood position after recabling.
>>
>>987123
When will hipsterinos move up to carbon?
>>
>>986963
Love my Roubaix. Fuji Roubaix are amazing
>>
>>987123
>stupid swoopy seatstays
>silver bar tape
>hideous paint job
>those fucking wheels

God this bike offends me.
>>
>>986973
I think this will mostly depend on whether UCI lowers the weight limit or not. If the weight limit is lowered disc brakes are basically never happening for road bikes.
>>
>>986963
Seconded. The high end Roubaix usually comes with Ultegra drivetrain. It's an insane deal for what you're getting.
>>
File: 137593505136.jpg (14KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
137593505136.jpg
14KB, 240x320px
>>987123
what is this abomination
those cosmic carbones from 1992
that awful cabling
that disgusting paintjob
huge frame
seatpost way too low
those stays
>>
What do you guys think about the new Giant Contend SL 1 Disc? It comes with Shimano 105, disc brakes, and is a few hundred dollars cheaper than the competition.
>>
>>987428
I'm not a huge fan of sloping toptubes and gigantic headtubes on road bikes, but I guess that's just a matter of taste. Seems like they cheapened out on the crankset though, and I'm not sure of the quality of stock Giant wheelsets. Other than that, looks like a pretty nice entry level roadie.
>>
>>987428

Looks good. Can't really go wrong with big four bikes, always quality. Although I personally prefer to ride boutique brands because I'm yupster scum.
>>
>>986726

At the end of the day we ride bikes, not specs. Let the bike do the talking not the marketers.
>>
>>986757

I don't get discs for road. I like the sproingy fork on my road bike. I don't see how you can put a brake on the end of one blade and either compromise the braking or the fork. My rigid MTB fork is built like a tank's dick and even that chatters and flexes under heavy braking.

FWIW kool-stop rim pads give retarded levels of braking power and while I like the discs on my MTB, I don't miss them on my other bikes.
>>
You're better off spending your money on the alloy bike, you get the same bike and a much better build for the same cost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3RG5dztrXM
>>
File: 10786389024_142f82e25b_o.jpg (4MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
10786389024_142f82e25b_o.jpg
4MB, 2048x1536px
>>987288
>>987314
plebs
>>
>>987464
Serotta paintjobs are so fucking sex
>>
>>987464

>ots

Go create a dumpster-dive general.
>>
>>987478

That's 8-speed campy, m8

Those levers will still be shifting perfectly thirty years from now, after you've thrown away your third or fourth or fifth Shimano groupset.
>>
File: oversizeMain.jpg (579KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
oversizeMain.jpg
579KB, 900x900px
>>987475
Kirk was the head of serotta

>>987478
well memed friend well memed
>>
File: kirk-cycles-nahbs-road-bike.jpg (61KB, 1280x778px) Image search: [Google]
kirk-cycles-nahbs-road-bike.jpg
61KB, 1280x778px
>>987479
Chorus and record 8 speed ergos with the metal shift levers (I think those are athena) shit all over the shift feel of 5600, 5800 or 7800 (front shifting less so). The heavy metal clicks into each gear are so fucking satisfying and they make the shimano groups i've properly ridden seem vague and cheap.

And yeah, if you can find parts, being completely rebuildable, they last for ever.
>>
>>987483
>Chorus and record 8 speed ergos with the metal shift levers (I think those are athena) shit all over the shift feel of 5600, 5800 or 7800 (front shifting less so)
Lol no they don't. This is something campypoorfags tell themselves. They feel different, but having heavy action with clunky indexing doesn't shit all over Shimano. It's just a different feel. Light and precise doesn't feel cheap unless you think that's what cheap feels like. I own Chorus, 105 and Rival by the way. If you want to know what cheap feels like try SRAM. You might find you like it though, it is very clunky. Also you'll get more miles out of Shimano than you'll get out of g-springs. Getting g-springs replaced isn't cheap either.
>>
>>987483

I have 8-speed ergos on my beater. I actually don't like the rear shifter feel at all compared to Shimano's. The heavy clicks are a bit much, imo. Still, the mechanism is bombproof and easy to rebuild, so meh. The front shifter I like a LOT - I like having the ezpz trim adjustment. Prefer that to Shimano's.

So it's down to personal preference, but there's no denying the durability of the all-metal ratchets.
>>
>>987484
>>987485
Have you ridden 8 speed record or chorus? That's what i'm talking about. It is GOAT. Heavy is the wrong word, it's not that heavy. 8 speed mirage is heavy. It's more like tactile. It's miniature Fausto Coppi sitting inside the levers ringing a gong that makes you jizz shift feels every time you click them.
>>
>>987487
Yes I have. The fact that you have to resort to retarded superlatives and metaphors proves that you're full of shit, have no idea what you're talking about, and you you're probably a poorfag that picked up a used Campy bike for $300 and now you have full Campy pride fever because you want to feel good about your used bike buy.
>>
>>987487

Heavy is the right word. Or maybe "deep". I could even see "plush" if you wanted to be all marketing buzzwordy.

I don't particularly like it.
>>
>>987479

That's because I'll actually ride the shitmano gear while you're posting pictures of your OTS on the internet.
>>
>>987490

I logged 20 hours of riding and 30 hours of shitposting this week. I can do both.
>>
>>987485
the micro ratcheting on the front is fantastic for a triple otherwise meh/

>>987488
:^ ) jokes on u i don't even ride bicycles
>>
>>987495
>the micro ratcheting on the front is fantastic for a triple otherwise meh/

Agreed. I'm just saying I like the feel.
>>
>>987489
you should try spraying the shit out of the internals with wd40 to displace some dirt/ grease and maybe reduce those adjectives.
>>
This is an aluminium bike thread, please take your OTS and garbon bikes elsewhere. :)x
>>
>>987480
Your shifters are fucking sexy. Retro Campy is the shit.
>>
File: 2012-08-31091310.jpg (540KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2012-08-31091310.jpg
540KB, 1600x1200px
this is now an old 10 speed thread
>>
File: CAAD.jpg (742KB, 2448x1836px) Image search: [Google]
CAAD.jpg
742KB, 2448x1836px
>>
File: 9582172965_852c809316_o.jpg (1MB, 3391x2327px) Image search: [Google]
9582172965_852c809316_o.jpg
1MB, 3391x2327px
>>
>>
File: 3126631566_cf88b605d0_o.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
3126631566_cf88b605d0_o.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>
File: litespeed.jpg (2MB, 3648x2432px) Image search: [Google]
litespeed.jpg
2MB, 3648x2432px
>>
File: original_IMG_12351.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
original_IMG_12351.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>
So, Alu road bikes are a hipster thing now?

Also,
>tfw nobody rates your bike.
>>986823
>>
File: 1469628870748.gif (415KB, 480x238px) Image search: [Google]
1469628870748.gif
415KB, 480x238px
>>986823
saved ass/ 10
>>
File: img_1668.jpg (2MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
img_1668.jpg
2MB, 2816x2112px
>>
>>987519

>cable snaps and whips you in the balls
>bike collapses your balls get jammed in the hinge

Feels good man!
>>
>>987495
>>987496
>non/micro indexed triple
Disgusting. One main position with one trim position is perfection for the middle ring. All these people that hate indexed triples simply don't know how to tune a triple front.
>>
>>987516
eggbeaters on a road bike?
>>
>>987523

That reminds me, I was rolling Shimano Saint flats on my bike when one of my pedals fucked up, and left them on for ages. I recommend it sometime get some MTB flats and have some fun.
>>
File: lugged carbon.jpg (963KB, 3541x2429px) Image search: [Google]
lugged carbon.jpg
963KB, 3541x2429px
>>
File: 95SlingBoard.jpg (116KB, 750x563px) Image search: [Google]
95SlingBoard.jpg
116KB, 750x563px
>>987521
This is a piece of fiberglass bolted to the rear triangle and the top tube.
>>
File: 95SlingFront.jpg (146KB, 750x563px) Image search: [Google]
95SlingFront.jpg
146KB, 750x563px
>>987521
pure bike engineering kino
>>
File: racing bmx.jpg (121KB, 1023x682px) Image search: [Google]
racing bmx.jpg
121KB, 1023x682px
>>
File: 87SlingSprings.jpg (158KB, 750x563px) Image search: [Google]
87SlingSprings.jpg
158KB, 750x563px
this is actually far superior to modern 'uci' suspension systems designed to be cost effective
>>
>>
File: Hot tubes baby.jpg (918KB, 2937x1917px) Image search: [Google]
Hot tubes baby.jpg
918KB, 2937x1917px
>>
File: DSC05644_zpsa3sk1dlj.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
DSC05644_zpsa3sk1dlj.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
>>
File: 6467439333_5774d0c2f4_o.jpg (3MB, 2179x1920px) Image search: [Google]
6467439333_5774d0c2f4_o.jpg
3MB, 2179x1920px
>>
File: 324768710_1567d147be_o.jpg (953KB, 2256x1496px) Image search: [Google]
324768710_1567d147be_o.jpg
953KB, 2256x1496px
>>
File: 1467535807235.jpg (201KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1467535807235.jpg
201KB, 600x600px
>>987544
>>
>>987528

Oh so it splinters into millions of shards right into your scrotum?! Feels good man!:D

Also bonus points the canti loses tension and locks up on the knobby.
>>
>>987508
can somebody explain to me the thinking on the weird-ass dropouts sticking out on those old cannondales? they always made me nervous to look at
>>
Does Cannondale still make the best quality aluminum frames or are they all pretty much equal nowadays?
>>
File: IMG_2232.jpg (857KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2232.jpg
857KB, 1600x1200px
>>987588
It's called cantilever dropouts. The theory was by making the rear triangle smaller it became stiffer. They were obsessed with stiffness. It's funny considering that now companies put in work to make the rear triangle less stiff for improved comfort.
>>
>>987595
There's no 'the best' bikes

Shits subjective.
>>
File: kIBpOrk.jpg (266KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
kIBpOrk.jpg
266KB, 1200x800px
>>987595
>all pretty much equal
that's even more stupid
>>
File: 8789835367_96a02ab2d5_k.jpg (1MB, 2048x1264px) Image search: [Google]
8789835367_96a02ab2d5_k.jpg
1MB, 2048x1264px
>>
>>
>>986747
You obviously dont race you fucking turbo-fred
>>
>>987514
are those bars wrapped in packaging tape?
>>
>>988314
Yes, probably to prevent the original bar tape to rot or get damaged or something
>>
>>988169

Why would I participate in events with rules that mandate deliberately gimped equipment?

Would you run a marathon in flip-flops? No?
Then why would you ride in a UCI event?
>>
>>988345
>Would you run a marathon
Of course not. Why run when you can car much faster? I won't participate in races where you're gimped by rules.
>>
>>988346
why even car when you can sms someone at the finish line?
>>
>>988417
Or steal the trophy at punpoint. Wouldn't wanna be gimped by them laws!
>>
>>988422
>Hand over the trophy, or i bust out the dad jokes!
>>
STEEL IS REAL
>>
File: ISRAEL STEEL.jpg (40KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
ISRAEL STEEL.jpg
40KB, 480x360px
ISRAEL STEEL
>>
>>987601
w2c
>>
>>987479

>Using old Campy

That's not how Campy elitism works, anon. Their sales reps will openly mock you for still riding old shit like that if you so much as call them asking where to find parts for it.
>>
>>989007

Naw
If you don't pretend your three decade old Campy is better than 2018 Dura Ace you're doinitwrong
>>
>>986747
>We're more than halfway through 2016 and you bought a bike with rim brakes.

Clearly you haven't tried brakes from the 105 5800 or ultegra 6800 groupsets.

Not every bike requires disc brakes.
>>
File: youre_serious_futurama.gif (1MB, 288x198px) Image search: [Google]
youre_serious_futurama.gif
1MB, 288x198px
>>986807
>Rims brakes are going the way of the dinosaurs.
>>
>>986859
Oh man I hated that paintjob. The team paint, and black ones are great tho. ALR 6's paint was also great.
>>
>>989009
shimano's front shifting is still garbage while on a quality groupset from 30 years ago you can get better shifting up front, with no restrictions to chainring sizes because of stupid indexing, while on the rear you can do multiple up and down shifting as much as you want. the only downside to the old groupset is that you have to take one hand off of your handlebars when you need to shift, which no big deal on a road bike

so yeah actually about that 30 year old campy...
>>
>>989416
>shimano's front shifting is garbage

I'm not sure why you keep memeing this, but you should know that you are literally the only person on Earth who believes it.
>>
>>989420
well it's because ever since i biked to the ocean my shimano 600 arabesue shifter doesnt work anymore and i have to lean down and move the FD by hand
>>
File: maxresdefault (4).jpg (198KB, 3000x1688px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (4).jpg
198KB, 3000x1688px
>>989428
>arabesque
>shimano's front shifting is still garbage
>>
File: 1433225528282.jpg (148KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1433225528282.jpg
148KB, 1920x1080px
>>989428

>arabdesu
>>
>>986973
>Rim brakes aren't going anywhere soon

True, luddites. faggoty hipsters and bearded retro grouches will always exist.

>They've been saying CX bikes will all have discs now for about 3 years

3 years. That is like, eternity.

>Pros still prefer canti brakes

Whores ride whatever their pimp gives them.

>UCI has a ban on discs in the pro peloton. People want to buy what the pros use.

Had a ban. Keep with the times.

>There is little need for discs on road bikes.

Opinion: discarded

>Rim brakes will be around for a long, long time.

Just like freewheels, v-brakes and shimano Lark. So what?
>>
>>989414
I actually liked the blue. It's different. Black is fucking boring
>>
>>986973
>Pros still prefer canti brakes
They barely brake.
>>
>>989420
the biggest advancement that they've made to mechanical since 7700 is that it's less likely that you'll drop chain, but it's still clunky as fuck when going from small to big. di2 adds loud fucking servos and disgusting mouse button controls to the mix, but I guess it's a bit quicker and certainly much more reliable.

campy's 2015+ front shifting is now the same because apparently valentino wants to kill the company before he dies. pre-2015 was smoother, and occasionally slower, but I prefer smooth over slow.

they're both better than sram but that's not saying much.

indexed front shifting is a bad fix to a problem that never existed

>>989443
>being a dick break foamer
choke on your foam and die ok
>>
>>989485
>indexed front shifting is a bad fix to a problem that never existed

This I can agree with

>Not being wildly enthusiastic about disc brakes

The only people who don't absolutely love the fucking things are people who don't own them yet, for reasons of frugality or of character. They belong on everything.
>>
>>989536
I have hydros on a couple of bikes and rimmers on my other three. I wouldn't ride a MTB without good hydros. For the road bikes, it might be nice if I ran carbon rims, but that's never going to happen. Otherwise, the difference isn't that big. Shimano's road hydros don't feel that great to me, compared to rim brakes with Campy or Kool Stop pads. Yeah, they feel a lot better than rim brakes with Shimano pads, but Shimano's pads are trash.
>>
>>986760
I feel ya, OP. Maybe you could put a caliper Enve fork on 'er?
>>
>>986791
i thought vitus 979 was really whippy by Al standards?
>>
>>987288
>>987314
>t. shitposters
>>
just passing through on my fred sled
>>
What's with those yellow dots?
>>
File: 1round_001.jpg (151KB, 1024x735px) Image search: [Google]
1round_001.jpg
151KB, 1024x735px
>>987530

wew

>>987599

pic related. future of cycling
>>
>>989536
>The only people who don't absolutely love the fucking things are people who don't own them yet, for reasons of frugality or of character. They belong on everything.

Don't dick brakes:

1. Raep your spokes+rims with the braking forces that could be out on the rim and kinda gentle?

2. Need annoying hydro shit to be ~nice~
>>
>>990182
What tires are those and how do you like them?
>>
>>990191
Soma New Xpress 700x26C (made by Panaracer). So far, so good
>>
>>990188
Also more spun mass.
And fuck having to repair them
>>
>>990188
>1. Raep your spokes+rims with the braking forces that could be out on the rim and kinda gentle?
Technically yes, but the load is well within what a well built wheel of reasonable spoke count will manage without a problem. Say you have a 100kg per spoke pretension. Lets be conservative and say your rims (being the limiting factor) will allow 150kg tension on a well seated nipple.
The spokes are 300mm long and the flange 30mm high, cross count is sensibly set so the flange and spoke is at a right angle; meaning the force is amplified by a factor of ten (30/300).
We have 32 spokes. Half of them will be loaded harder and half loaded less upon braking, because they're laced in opposite direction. Say we brake incredibly hard and pull 2G and you, your bike and luggage have a mass of 100kg. That's 200kg, times ten, divided by 16 spokes. That's only 125kg per spoke, or not even halfway to our already extremely conservative load limit.

And that's braking so hard you'll not have a chance to brace and will simply fly over the handlebars. 200kg of force on your hands and arms is more than most can hold.
>2. Need annoying hydro shit to be ~nice~
Depends on the setup, but mostly the difference in feel and added friction affect both systems the same. Some of the spongyness of a cable system will be masked by the fact that rim brakes with rubber blocks are spongy in and of themselves.
I run dropbar cable discs, dropbar hydro rimbrakes, flatbar hydro discs and I'm happy with all the combinations. YMMV.
Thread posts: 159
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.