[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/gag/ General Aviation General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 61

File: as350.jpg (71KB, 1080x676px) Image search: [Google]
as350.jpg
71KB, 1080x676px
Return of the Choppers Edition

Previous thread
>>958046

Post cool aviation stuff.
>>
Dumping a few pics to get things started.

What's the best single-engine non-military helicopter and why is it the AS350? Oh right, sorry Airbus, the H125?
>>
One of my first instructors and eventually co-workers flew this fat slug for awhile.
>>
>>
File: ny0l0988.jpg (99KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
ny0l0988.jpg
99KB, 1024x683px
Raspberry Ripple.
>>
File: hh_43_huskie.jpg (114KB, 1280x1041px) Image search: [Google]
hh_43_huskie.jpg
114KB, 1280x1041px
>>
>>985707
>>985710
Hah, dumping
>>
>>985726
Is that an Mi-17 in British livery?
>>
>>985762
It's in the livery of the Empire Test Pilots School.
If you're gonna be a bear ...
>>
What was the first job, or jobs, you took to build up hours? Helicopter or fixed wing.
>>
>>985816
There's some old-ass machines in their inventory
>>
So talking to my instructors about potential entry jobs that aren't flight instructing, they might as well be saying I'm fucked. Either flight instruction or nothing.

I didn't get into aviation thinking I'd just end up being a teacher.
>>
>>985888
Flight instruction. Helicopter.
>>
>>985979
Non-instruction jobs exist. There just aren't that many and they get filled up quick by people just like you that would rather avoid the instruction route.

Always be looking. Talk to anyone you see flying and network as much as possible. It's pretty much the only way to land those kinds of jobs.
>>
>>985979

hint: literally everyone wants their hours to pay for themselves.

Because supply of VFR and even IFR private pilots wildly outstrips any possible demand, you are basically competing against people who are willing not just to make a shitty wage, but to actually still be spending their own money on their hours with a modest subsidy.

What exactly did you think you were getting into aviation to do?
>>
>>985984
>you are basically competing against people who are willing not just to make a shitty wage, but to actually still be spending their own money on their hours with a modest subsidy
But that is literally what I am willing to do. I want to do anything that just isn't flight instruction.
I am not cut out to be a teacher.
>>
>>985995
>I am not cut out to be a teacher.

Neither are half the CFIs I've ever met (and work with). Hasn't stopped any of them so far.
>>
Rolls Royce, General Electric or Pratt and Whitney?
>>
>>985979
Well, yeah, you're not exactly going to start flying 747s with a hundred hours and a freshly-minted commercial license, aviation is something that requires dedication
>>
>>985995
It's either that or try to luck into a military flight school seat
>>
>>986086
I really have no interest in the airlines if I'm being honest.
>>
>>986114
Airline pilot is one of the few jobs that you can find six figures starting salary in (assuming you're not talking about regional ones, of course)
>>
>>986051

Rolls Royce
>>
>>986157

lol no
first of all nobody lets PPLfags near passenger jets

Secondly we had an anon here for a while who doing cargo hops for McDonalds wages.

The handful of guys that make real money are ex-military with 10,000+ hours and got in back in the 70's, 80's, & 90's when the airlines were way less regulated, way more profitable, and way more generous to their pilots.

Nobody is going to pay a glorified bus driver six figures anymore, and absolutely not as a starting wage.
>>
>>986157
If they're being paid in pesos, maybe.
>>
File: DSC_0557-1170x778.jpg (150KB, 1170x778px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0557-1170x778.jpg
150KB, 1170x778px
>>985704
>>
>>986162
>>986161
I say "starting", but a "starting" pilot in one of the big airlines that flies the international routes usually has thousands of hours already.
>>
>>986161
>glorified bus driver
Hell, I actually made more driving city bus than flying a Dash-8. The state of the industry is Goddamn depressing. Everyone (save the multiple checkride failures who are somehow still flying) is in the regionals to get hours in the bank to make the hop to one of the majors. Don't let them get their hooks in you unless you're willing to live and eat shit for ten years for that bottom seniority FO spot at Delta.
>>
>>986161
>>986265
What happened? I thought the aviation industry was hurting for pilots.
>>
>>986274
They're hurting for EXPERIENCED pilots. That part tends to get left out by the flight schools a lot.
>>
>>986278
Kek
And this is why I'm in the maritime industry
>>
>>986274
>What happened?

The same thing that happened to everything else. The Baby Boomers gutted the job market and the economy in general for short-term profit, then dumped all of their ill-gotten gains into various economic bubbles. Silicon Valley, big oil, real estate, etc

Which is why they spend so much time telling everyone to "think of the children", and a large part of the reason why Hillary Clinton's presidential platform is so laughable.
>>
can anyone give me insights on agricultural flying?
>>
>>986274
They're hurting for guys with hours under their belt but the regionals aren't willing to pay new pilots a living wage.

I hear helicopters are where the money's at right now, actually
>>
>Be me
>Ramp Agent

>Fokker 100
>See bag, (adidas bag tiny soccer one)
>Grab it by the sides and lift it as per usual
>it rips open

>litterally macaroni flows out of the bag
>a full bag of macaroni loose inside

>read the name

>Mariusz polish
>>
>>986474
I don't know where you heard this but I would love to live in this magical world where this is true.

Heli job market is stagnant right now.
>>
>>986051
They're all great companies
>>
>>986440
Spend years on the ground as a fueler/ loader, work inconsistent hours, never home, exposed to hazardous chemicals, tough flying, living out of motels, no work for third of the year, pilots must be A&P
If you stick with it and own your own applicator company.... die at 50 with lung cancer and millions in the bank.

Unless one of your pilots hot starts that 5 million dollar airplane or drills it into the ground when he passes out from heat exhaustion. Then you're fucked
>>
>>985980
Do you remember your second job? What did you get when you had the hours?
>>
How many hours did it take you to solo?
I'm at 6.5 right now and wondering how much longer it'll be.
>>
>>986539
I heard it here a couple of months ago, actually
>>
>>986627
20-25 hours is pretty standard
>>
>>986627
Are you talking airplane or helicopter?

Also depends on where your home airport is in relation to practice area. If you're out in the middle of nowhere, it takes less time. If you're out of a busy airport you spend more time on the ground and getting to and from practice area.

10 to 15 hours is pretty average for slow convenient airspace.

Flying out of class C airport might take you 20.

Also, if you're in the airplane four times a week it's going to take you fewer hours that if you're in the airplane twice a week.

Also, if your instructor is new, he may be nervous to cut you loose too soon and as a result, hold your hand too much.

There's also student aptitude to consider. This is often not a function of intelligence or piloting prowess.
You'll learn faster if you sleep 8 hours a night, eat well, and exercise. Wake up early on days you have a morning lesson so you're awake by the time you get to the airport. Etc.
>>
File: 9c2de9519e974532bd343737701cc42e.jpg (529KB, 1536x1534px) Image search: [Google]
9c2de9519e974532bd343737701cc42e.jpg
529KB, 1536x1534px
>>985704

So I've done 60 hours of flying including a bunch of solo and now I only really need to complete the cross country dual and solo flights.

But I have yet to write the written test, and I've lost my motivation...

I'm dreading the navigation part because I suck at doing simple math on the fly.

Who here /retarded/?
>>
>>986265
Is the US local industry really that bad? I've only heard about it.
>>
>>986861
Get an electronic e6b from sportys pilot shop and work the practice problems. Private pilot level stuff is easy.

If you've lost motivation all I can say is flying isn't for everyone
>>
>>986860
I've been taking lessons 3-4 times a week. Airport is Class D.
Did a shit ton of studying and simulators beforehand, so I think I have the aptitude to solo early.
>>
>>987051
Let us know how you do, shouldn't take long!
>>
>>986861
Lucky for you it's relatively simple math
>>
File: USMC-111215-M-JU941-001.jpg (1MB, 3932x2621px) Image search: [Google]
USMC-111215-M-JU941-001.jpg
1MB, 3932x2621px
So what's everyone's opinion on pilot-optional aircraft? Are they the future of aviation, or just a niche product?
>>
>>988275
>the future of aviation
>just a niche product
What's the difference?
>>
Post the kind of videos you'd wish people send to you instead of those fake CGI "plane crashes" montages relatives with no grasp on aviation send to you through facebook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwvhpslsPzk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i721IEIGDsU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?i721IEIGDsU&v=Xezw_9ftLpA
>>
>>988315
>Connie
I remember hiding in those landing gear bays when it started pouring like mad at one of the airshows it was at.

Is there one for the Ju-52s?
>>
Going to fly a complex Arrow II in a few days!
>>
Shit like this, obviously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQT26oxOG4c
>>
>>988292
Ruined my day
>>
>>987016
Once you learn how to use the manual e6b it becomes an absolute piece of cake.
>>988275
I think they're crap. That's like asking "hey [insert job title], how would you feel about handing your job over to a machine?" Who would say "sure, I'd love to be replaced and out of work"?
>>
>>988872
I really don't see pilots getting replaced entirely, especially when there's live passengers involved.
>>
>>988883
Pilots probably won't be entirely phased out, but it's the principle of suggesting that a large chunk of the workforce (which could be the job you have or aspire to have) be replaced with machines that gets me.
>>
>>988916
I can see the optionally-unmanned thing being a supplement, rather than a replacement, giving pilots a break on milk runs.

That being said, the more complex shit gets the more prone it is to breaking, hence why nothing trumps having a pilot at the controls
>>
>>988872
This person doesn't sound like they'll do well with slide rules. Yes, the manual one is fine, I'm trying to recommend the easiest way first though.
>>
>>989010
I was always told that you should learn on a manual e6b first, but perhaps that is a matter of opinion
>>
>>989043
I personally need to keep the instructions for the E6B handy for the reverse side with the fuel burn calculations

I prefer using the iPhone app, but it's probably a good idea to keep refreshing your skills with the manual one
>>
>>989043
I've never touched a manual e6b in all my years of flying. Years ago when I took my written, I got a 98% using an electronic, never missed a math or flight planning question since then.

It's a relic. It's like saying all instrument pilots need to know Morse code... it's cool but un necessary.
>>
>>989762
It's probably worth it to have as a student, but real world it's obsolete in an era of computers. Hell, I think I've filled out a weight and balance sheet without a computer or a smartphone only once.
>>
>>989809
That doesn't make sense, why would it be good for a student, but not good in the real world?

Fly the way you train, train the way you fly. The rest is fluffy nonsense.
>>
>>990265
>I don't need to know what the computer is doing, I just push buttons and out comes my weight and balance
How about learning the fundamentals before you start using computer aids and instruments to help you? You don't teach a student to fly using autopilot. Same deal
>>
>>990310
Weight and balance isn't even easier to do with an e6b though, that's the one thing that's easier to do with a table and pencil.

And beyond that, using a plain calculator is more practical than a circular sliderule if you're concerned the student won't learn the formulas to use.

Crosswind corrections, density altitude corrections, etc. would still be better done on a plain Texas instruments calculator. People in the 60s grew up with sliderule, so the e6b wasn't a completely foreign concept. To teach a student a manual e6b today, you have to teach them how to use the formulas, and how to use a sliderule, it's a waste of time.

Are you a flight instructor? You're wasting your student's money.
>>
>>990338
Different anon, but I am a flight instructor. I can teach a student everything there is to do with an e6b in an hour. Shit isn't hard.

Nobody does w&b on an e6b, that's fucking retarded.

>how to use a sliderule
You kind of sound like a bitch. The shit is a fucking circle. You don't have to show someone 'how' to use it, it's pretty self-evident. There are no 'formulas,' and the instructions are written right there on the face of the thing.

I don't expect my students to use an e6b for all their training but I do expect them to know how to use it, if they have to. Because while the e6b might be 'antiquated' it's the one thing in their flight bag that's not going to have the batteries die on them.
>>
>>990338
No shit w&b isn't done on an e6b. It's the harmful practice of teaching shortcuts instead of the fundamentals that I'm pointing out.
>>
File: Cave_Johnson_cropped.jpg (56KB, 250x337px) Image search: [Google]
Cave_Johnson_cropped.jpg
56KB, 250x337px
>>990310
>I just push buttons and out comes my weight and balance

"I Punch those numbers into my calculator it makes a happy face"
>>
File: rectangle.jpg (17KB, 551x310px) Image search: [Google]
rectangle.jpg
17KB, 551x310px
>>990485
>by pressing down
>a special key
>it plays a little melodie
>>
>>990265
I'd say it's a good thing to know how to do it, just so you understand what you're doing when you use the program to fill one out.

Doing one by hand every time you fly is, of course, rather silly, but knowing the fundamentals makes sense
>>
This thread is moving at an even more glacial pace than usual
>>
File: 20160806_191057.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160806_191057.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Flying around in the beautiful upper peninsula of michigan today
>>
File: GOPR2573.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
GOPR2573.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>991303
Northern New England a couple of months ago from an R-22
>>
>>990426
>>990426
You're resorting to name calling because I'm criticizing the use of a particular piece of equipment? I bet you're a reeaaaal good teacher, mister flight instructor.
>>
>>991636
Not everyone is meant to be an instructor, that's for sure.

FAA pls loosen regs and fuck off
>>
>>991636
Resorting to name calling would be dismissing your point and calling you said name. I'm just telling you what you sound like. A bitch. Because the point you're arguing is fucking stupid.

I'm a great instructor, thanks for noticing. I have patience with my students and treat them with dignity and respect, something I don't waste time doing on 4chan because the majority of anons are fucking dipshits with no experience on the point they're arguing in the first place, QED...
>>
>>991636
>>991716
You guys need to chill out, you're arguing about how to properly fill out a W&B sheet
>>
Is it normal for a part 61 school to require stage checks?
>>
>>991745
kek
>>
>>992021
For the ones that don't trust their instructors and milk their students for every penny, yes.
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.jpg (99KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.jpg
99KB, 600x800px
>>991716
>Calls anons dipshits
>Is an anon
>>
>>992493
>ignores a key word
>greentext and frogposting

>>992492
So learning fundamentals with an e6b is a waste of time and money and now stage checks are 'milking'. Jesus fucking Christ anon, you are one jaded son of a bitch about flight instructors and schools, aren't you?

Stage checks are a filter. Would you rather take a checkride and fail for something that could've been caught/cleaned up in a stage check, and then have to pay for additional training and a re-test, or just take a stage check and go into the checkride with a little more confidence?
>>
File: 1458415236118.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1458415236118.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
So, flying, eh, guys? How about that flying? Boy, I sure do love to fly, you?
>>
>>992645
That same beach some months later, absolutely clogged with husky, corn-fed tourists
>>
File: 1361295850747.jpg (49KB, 315x310px) Image search: [Google]
1361295850747.jpg
49KB, 315x310px
>>992645
>mfw commercial checkride coming up in roughly a week
>>
File: 6nnfClk.jpg (73KB, 950x704px) Image search: [Google]
6nnfClk.jpg
73KB, 950x704px
>>990426
>mfw over 300 hours and i still have trouble with the standard e6b even though i learned all my flight planning on one when i started PPL training
>>
>>992809
What the hell is an "ubangi", anyway?
>>
>>992809

The directions are right on the thing... just go pro like me and fly something with an FMS & ACARS and let it do the hard work for you
>>
>>992809
I have to go back through the manual every time I use it, and I proceed to forget everything about it once I'm done

>>993153
You stop it with your logic and sense!
>>
File: r22_5.jpg (413KB, 720x440px) Image search: [Google]
r22_5.jpg
413KB, 720x440px
Going to take a chopper PPL checkride soon. The flying will be fine, but I'm a bit dicey on the oral stuff.

Without looking at my notes or googling anything, I'm going to rattle off things I've had trouble with. Feel free to correct me if I get something wrong

>VFR cloud separation

500 below, 1000 above, 2000 vertical, 3 miles vis under 10,000

1000 above and below, 1 mile separation, 5 miles vis above 10,000

1/2 mile visibility and clear of clouds in uncontrolled airspace

>Translating tendency
Chopper wants to drift right due to tail rotor thrust/torque effect

>Torque effect
Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, since rotors turn to the left helicopter wants to spin to the right

>Transverse flow
Airflow is increased in rear of rotor disc causing a decreased angle of attack

>Translational lift
Increased lift due to increased airflow over the rotors, occurs at 15 KIAS

>Retreating blade stall
Retreating blade of rotor is accelerated to the point where it no longer generates lift

>Bernoulli's Principle
Decreased air pressure results in increased speed of air flow, resulting in lift

>O2 requirements
Required for pilots at 12,000 feet density altitude for durations longer than 30 minutes, everyone above 14,000

>Passenger briefing
Tell the passenger when to wear seatbelts, what the safety features of the aircraft are, not to smoke near the aircraft

>Requirements to enter class D airspace
Contact with tower

>Class C
Contact with tower, working transponder

>Class B
Contact with tower, called by tail number, working transponder

>Class A
A better helicopter (Also, IFR clearance)

>Altitude to fly above parks/nature preserves/etc
2,000 ASL

>How to calculate density altitude
Pressure altitude corrected for temperature... I think. Fuck.
>>
>>993926
Define those VFR weather minimums in relation to specific airspace.

>Bernoulli's principle
Eh it's a bit backwards. The increased air velocity causes a decrease in pressure. This is a bit simplified but should be ok for PPL

>O2 requirements
12500 or above for 30+ min = pilots must use O2
14000 = all pilots must use oxygen
15000 = oxygen must be available for pax

>entry requirements
A- must be on IFR flight plan, and have transponder with altitude rep. capability
B- 2-way communication, transponder with altitude rep. capability
C- 2-way communication, transponder with altitude rep. capability
D- 2-way communication
E- None
G- N/A

>altitude above Nat. parks
I think it's 2000' AGL, but you'll have to check that

>density altitude
Pressure altitude corrected for nonstandard temperature. Use an E6B or another calculator. There is a formula but I forgot it
>>
>>993974
Another thing I'm not entirely clear on is whether I'll be able to bring a cheat sheet in for the oral
>>
>>993983
No cheat sheets but you can bring the FAR/AIM. You should know the stuff fairly well, so be reasonable how many times you reference it.
>>
>>993988
Fair enough.

So, I can recall being told to remember Parts 61, 67, 91, 135 and 830. Is that all of them, or am I missing some?
>>
>>994027
That's good enough for PPL. You know the 91.213(d) method for inoperative equipment? Do you have a basic understanding of what an MEL is? They sometimes like to ask about MELs, but the 91.213d thing is pretty important. You'll probably be given a scenario and you'll have to decide whether it's legal to fly or not, and what action you'll have to take.
>>
>>994074
You mean like placcarding gagues that are inoperative, and what you need in the chopper and functioning in order to fly? Sure, I got that.

It's actually funny you mention that, I've had to deal with equipment getting deadlined in the thing; they straight up ripped the directional gyro out and bolted in a black piece of paneling where it was, it was so busted, and half the time the turn indicator won't work unless you whack it
>>
>>994104
man i love flying old beaters
>>
>>994194
I will say it can get a little old having instruments randomly fail. I'm assuming it's the gauges themselves, because the thing never seems to have an actual electrical problem (thank fuck)
>>
>>993974
>>993926
To enter class B, you need to hear the phrase "cleared into class Bravo airspace" unless you're on an IFR flight plan. If you don't hear that, or some variation of that, you can't enter.

Unless it's different for helicopter?
>>
>>994280
Don't need an electrical system to fly, anon. If it blinks out just go home and land. It's a non-event, I've done it before. If you have to get back into a controlled airport, try landing at another uncontrolled field, and calling the tower on your cell phone to ask permission to do a NORDO arrival (don't shut down, you won't be able to start again)
>>
>>994290
Yes, forgot to put that in my list. You need to be cleared into a bravo
>>
File: Phenom-100-voando-03-mod.jpg (201KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
Phenom-100-voando-03-mod.jpg
201KB, 1200x800px
Is it good?
>>
>>994290
Not any different. I went back and checked, you need to be specifically cleared into the airspace. Also, with choppers, you're probably going to be on a helicopter route and assigned an altitude over a big city.
>>
>>994293
I was more talking about a multiple system failure due to a bad circuit, which may mean electrical fire.

The instruments fail individually, not in clusters, and no circuit breakers ever pop, so I'm assuming they're just old and busted.
>>
>>994414
good for crashing into Maryland neighborhoods
>>
will we ever see an airliner that isn't in the standard shape?
>>
>>994665
No.
>>
>>994665
airports are designed around the standard shape so no
>>
>>994624

Wut?
>>
>>994484
Also, I finally have cloud clearance requirements vs. VFR minimums straightened out in my head; I was getting the two confused, embarrassing as that may be. It's been a while since I did any sort of ground school shit; I got it done, passed the written test, and never looked back. That's been a mistake, as I've come to find out.
>>
File: Awwa-Sky-Whale-concept-plane-2.jpg (20KB, 700x479px) Image search: [Google]
Awwa-Sky-Whale-concept-plane-2.jpg
20KB, 700x479px
>>994665
Ridiculous concept airliners could be its own thread, there's so many nutty ideas out there
>>
File: 3934-002-web.jpg (86KB, 1061x1061px) Image search: [Google]
3934-002-web.jpg
86KB, 1061x1061px
I may need this T-shirt
>>
>>994899
this looks like a spaceship from Lilo and Stitch...
>>
>>995514
I was going to say "USS Enterprise"
>>
>>994778
>What us google

Here comes the airplane! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20141208-0
>>
File: XmHLmAe.gif (448KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
XmHLmAe.gif
448KB, 500x275px
>mfw no flying for 2.5 weeks
>mfw work forgot to pay me one week, so I can't afford to go even if I wanted to
>>
>>988275
I saw that chopper working for calfire refuleing at the airport i work at. I talked to the pilot and he said when you ascend with a load you can't touch the controls to stop it from spiraling because it will flip. Also it was super fucking quiet
>>
File: 1446527309830.jpg (42KB, 495x636px) Image search: [Google]
1446527309830.jpg
42KB, 495x636px
>>996268
>last flight was Dec 5, 2013
>didn't have enough money for 2 years so I had to stop
>now have the money, but don't have the time
>>
File: 2013-06-14 18.02.20.gif (46KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
2013-06-14 18.02.20.gif
46KB, 600x450px
>haven't flown since july 22nd
>instructor has no time because semester started
>literally 3 flights away from the signoff to take my Commercial MEL,

It's ok.... I've suffered longer breaks.
>>
>>996268
>>996488
>>996491
Haven't flown in 6 months due to moving and getting acclamated. Feels awful, but at least I've been doing some studying to make up for it.
>>
>>996488
>>996491
>>996559
Hang in there, bros, we'll make it through this drought together
>>
>>996488
fuck these time requirements

and the faa
>>
>>997557
I don't know about you bros, but I can't stand IACRA. I deal with government paperwork enough at work
>>
>Finally have money, now need time
>>
>>986166
Polska do boju!
>>
Took me a year and 8 months to go from 0 hours to getting my CPL, Multi, and Group 1 IFR. Now comes the journey to landing that first job.
>>
File: 12182393593.jpg (82KB, 520x505px) Image search: [Google]
12182393593.jpg
82KB, 520x505px
Just started my PPL today lads
>>
>>998975
god speed
>>
>>998975
Good luck, defend your shirt with your life
>>
>>998915
Do you live in Arizona? For about six months out of the year I consistently got fucked by weather throughout my training.
>>
File: 57c1f149c36188b95a8b45d8[1].jpg (98KB, 900x500px) Image search: [Google]
57c1f149c36188b95a8b45d8[1].jpg
98KB, 900x500px
>2016
>flying anyone other than Delta

Enjoy your airplanes maintained in latin america.
>>
Could you launch a glider from the ground off the top of a very fast train?
>>
>>999185
Live in Vancouver, BC. Averaged maybe 1 flight every 3 days during winter, spring, and fall
>>
>>999342
well
you could but it wont get very far
>>
>>999342
Yes, but it would be a bad idea
>>
>>999307
Still no official word on what happened there other than "mechanical failure"
>>
>>986474
>I hear helicopters are where the money's at right now, actually
Not in the UK at least.

Plenty of pilots are being laid off in the oil and gas industry in NE Scotland, there have even been suicides over it.
Bristow and CHC cut back big time.
>>
File: Boeing_747-400_Dreamliner_livery.jpg (463KB, 1200x759px) Image search: [Google]
Boeing_747-400_Dreamliner_livery.jpg
463KB, 1200x759px
Sutter's gone

Press F to pay respects
>>
>>996823
I had a sim session and an interview for a first pilot job. Next stop is psychological interview.

Been looking for a job for over three years now.
>>
>>1000191
I was talking stateside, though it wouldn't surprise me if it were the same, here; that sort of shit seems to be extremely fluid.
>>
>>1000582
>Sim session

Well, that's one way to do a job interview. Is that normal for getting a flying job?
>>
>>1000740
There are plenty of American pilots over here working in the North Sea.
They might be going home rather hungry now.
>>
>>1000759
Usually, yeah. It was a full motion sim at a legacy airline training centre, had to fly a few raw approaches and some basic handling.
>>
>>1000935
That's fairly neat.
>>
Maybe a bit of a silly question: What are the rules governing where you can land a wheeled horizontal-takeoff-horizontal-landing aircraft?

Or to broaden that question into the actual question: Assume I know of a strip of ground suitable to land a Cessna 152 on, length wise and strength wise. This is on an uninhabited island a few hundred miles from any obstructions and in uncontrolled airspace. Maybe for example purposes I own the island. Can I ever just go ahead and land there, get out of my plane, have a smoke, then get back in and fly home, or are there strict regulations that mean if I wanted to do that kind of thing I'd have to get the area of land declared an Non-towered airport?

It occurred to me because I can imagine a seaplane would presumably be allowed to just land itself in the water nearby then taxi up to the shore and a helicopter could presumably place itself wherever it desired, but a landplane doing something equivalent doesn't sound like it'd be so easy.
>>
>>1001049
well how is alaskan bush flying done

these guys fly into the middle of nowhere and land to drop off or pick guys up
>>
>>1001049
If you have done due diligence to ensure there is no undue risk to persons or property on the ground, and you have permission to land (or the landowner won't care/find out) the FAA is satisfied.
>>
>>1000950
That's one way to look at it.

Other is "shit I'm in dress shoes, there's potentionally my employer's head of training sitting next to me and fleet head behind my back, asking questions non-stop while I try to fly this aircraft I've never flown before and my every move is evaluated". Yeah. Neat-o.
>>
did any euromate here go to the Airpower today?
i went but i dont have pics because my phone is fucked

was amazing desu
>>
So I got matched up with a 66 year old, former Marine pilot who flew the A-6 Gruman as my instructor this semester. I love this guy, and he says I'm going to be a great pilot, but not until I can get my crosswind landings down. Any tips you guys have? I just feel so uncomfortable leaving the ailerons in so close to the ground, and sometimes the yoke hits my knee which makes it harder than it already is.
>>
what is the pilot employment environment like in Alaska, right now?

I'm thinking I should just get my basic license and then seek flying work in Alaska. While I continue my pilot education.

Not looking for major airline work. Those assholes want college degrees. I just want steady work that pays more than 50k a year.
>>
>>1001342
You're not going to get a job flying with a PPL
>>
>>1001310
Pressure makes diamonds
>>
>>1001370
What a dumb piece of advice. I like it

>>1001316
>uncomfortable with leaving ailerons in
You fly that airplane until it is dead stopped on the pavement. Crosswind landings are not hard, but can seem intimidating at first. Practice the wing-low method first, it teaches good stick and rudder skills.

When on short final, think rudders first. Point the nose straight down the runway and keep it there with the pedals. Control the lateral drift with the ailerons (aileron input is opposite the drift). It will feel weird, as it is a cross-controlled maneuver. Round out and flare just like you would with a normal landing. In stronger crosswinds, you may touch down with only one wheel at first, but this is ok. Slowly bring the other wheel down, then the nose.

After you've touched down, keep increasing that aileron input, and use the rudders to keep the plane on centerline. The slower you get, the less effective the controls are. But even on the ground, keep that Xwind input in. It's good practice. Sometimes you need to be stern with the controls, and don't be afraid to work the rudders or the yoke to get the job done. Finesse comes with practice.
>>
>>1001382
lol flaring to land
>>
>>1001439
Flaring to land is like squatting to pee
>>
>>1001439
>>1001505
???
>>
>>1001439
T-tail pilot detected
>>
File: 12148538629363.jpg (82KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
12148538629363.jpg
82KB, 736x552px
>IMC all day today
>>
>>1001643
Get that instrument rating nigga.
>>
>>1001631
... lol no.
>>
what is the bare minimum to do the small cargo work, flying stuff to all those isolated towns, in alaska?
>>
>>994414
the new evolution is suppose to be really good.

If you like Brazilian shit
>>
>>1001712
A CPL and most likely taildragger training
>>
>>1001712
What >>1001725 said. Also look into getting rated on the C208, lots of people use grand caravans up there.
>>
>>1001725
>taildragger training
Shit. Also, please don't tell me I'm going to need a thousand hours minimum to land in a field in the middle of nowhere as well.
>>
>>1001382
different anon, but it won't hurt to keep 5 or 7 extra knots on your approach, and perhaps use less flaps. keeps the airplane "sporty" and responsive. do not use this technique on short fields, it eats up runway, but you can get some great landongs out of it. also don't balloon, extra airspeed will change amount of back pressure needed to round out.
>>
>>1001631
he crashes airplanes into boats, or wishes he did.
>>
>>1002008
tail draggers are fun man, what's the "oh shit" for?

If there's no one around you who offers it, do a vacation to florida and do it here in a long weekend.
>>
>>1002017
of course, you'll probably need a minimum of 25 hours of tailwheel time to get a job up in alaska, so you might want to look into banner towing/glider towing to get some real tail wheel experience.
>>
File: 1371602515416.gif (3MB, 390x357px) Image search: [Google]
1371602515416.gif
3MB, 390x357px
>>1002018
>mfw I'm probably going to have to travel across an entire continent just to tow banners
>>
>>1002268
You could always fly scenic tour flights
>>
>>1002268
Living the dream.
>>
>>1002268
Noooo, just Google "tailwheel" and wherever you're from. You'll be fine.
>>
>>986474
>regionals aren't willing to pay new pilots a living wage.

The regional airlines are finally coming around and have signing bonuses upwards of $10k for the first year plus higher hourly wages.

The first year or two your not going to be making a ton as an airline pilot but it turns into a livable wage pretty quickly.
>>
>>1002598
>first year or two your not going to be making a ton as an airline pilot but it turns into a livable wage pretty quickly

Don't forget the Thousands and dollars of debt you would need to still pay off~ So maybe more like, 4 or 5 years.
>>
Think the gubbament is ever going to relax time requirements for some of these jobs out there?
>>
>>1002693
I sure hope so. That Colgan Air decision was such fucking BS as BOTH pilots involved in the incident already had way more than 1500 hours.

It's good to know that stupid decision is finally biting them in the ass, because not many want to take up that challenge anymore. Sadly, I'm still crazy enough to do it. Hopefully they do away with it and substitute it with a better training-oriented rule instead.
>>
>>1002673
>thousands of debt

just don't pay it
>>
Hey /n/, was just curious to know what you think about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfh9-ogUgSQ
>>
>>1002917
Fucking terrifying.
>>
>>1002917
>It's... the END!
fuck
>>
>>1002917
Amazing piloting. They managed to keep that crippled plane flying for that long.

There would have been more survivors, but the rescue parties let the wreck sit over night. Since they thought there would be no survivors.

They should have tried to ditch it in the ocean .
>>
Ever flown any vintage craft senpaitachi?
I've got a training school that only has Tiger Moths down the road, I'm tempted to take a visit.
>>
File: pilto is sad.jpg (421KB, 595x971px) Image search: [Google]
pilto is sad.jpg
421KB, 595x971px
>>1002917
>>1003079
>>1003414
Sad, but at least they died flying. Flying damn well too.
>>
>>1003664
1940's j3 cubs, on wheels and floats and a ride in a stearman

What a blast! Fly as many different kinds of airplanes you can, even if it's for just a few hours, it's good memories. Old airplanes are neato.
>>
>>985979
Maybe go /k/ and join airforce...
Just a thought.
>>
>>986157
No

>>985979
>I didn't get into aviation thinking I'd just end up being a teacher.
Lol. Pay your dues. Its just a few years and you'll learn a lot in the meantime.
>>
Anyone here a mechanic? hows it like, what do you do? im in my second year of colleg.
>>
>>1004724
you say that but some people really wouldnt make good teachers
>>
>>1001721
I've never heard anything outright terrible about Embraer
>>
>>1004984
Every plane has its quirks.
>>
File: airplaning.jpg (717KB, 1224x1632px) Image search: [Google]
airplaning.jpg
717KB, 1224x1632px
I airplaned the other day.
>>
>>1005127
I would have thought that would be restricted airspace
>>
>>1005777
unless its a junkyard
>>
>>994899
What is it about prototypers and artists that don't understand the concept "If it isn't broken don't fix it"?
>>
>>1006200
>Hey man. Legs have been like cool enough for millions (thousands?) of years, get off my lawn with your mechanical witchcraft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYFr3UyVpRA
:)
>>
>>1005787
It's not unusual for the restricted airspace associated with a military airport to not be right over the top of said airport.
>>
File: EMB-110 Bandeirante.jpg (82KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
EMB-110 Bandeirante.jpg
82KB, 1920x1080px
>>1005117
>>1004984

BR here.

EMB Bandeirante, military version is horrible to fly, it's like flying with constant turbulence.

But the civilian version is pretty comfy, i fly in it once.

Can you explain why?
>>
>>1006291
Most AFBs don't have restricted airspace, it's just class C.
t. every sectional
>>
>>1006403
That, and it's only "hot" part of the time if there is any restricted airspace/moa. So whatever, take ya fookin pictures
>>
>>1006403
Looks more like Class D on my sectional

>>1006319
Yaw dampeners, maybe? Maybe the military pilots have them, and they just don't throw them on.
>>
>>1006200
Rule of Cool

My big issue with it is whether or not it would even fly. It looks like the wings would get ripped off if it did
>>
File: IMG_20160914_101949.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160914_101949.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Flight instructor had a proficiency flight yesterday to stay current so instead or waiting around for an hour while the school's sim freed up, he took me along with him. First experience in IMC was definitely something to remember. Can't wait to start my instrument now.
>>
>>1006646
>Can't wait to start my instrument now.
That'll change.
>>
>>992784
good luck
>>
>>1006638
Yeah KDMA is a Charlie.
>>1006746
Instrument was probably my favorite flight course I've taken. Commercial was harder
>>
>>1006858
Commercial is supposed to be easier than instrument though.
>>
>>1006319
Out of the blue, can't say. My opinion is that pilots will take greater care of pax in general on civil side. Especially if self loading freight is just some lowly jarheads etc. Also operation procedures etc can differ greatly.

I got a job offer few weeks back to fly for a regional, and accepted it. Haven't signed anything, though. However I'm having an interview for a major at the same time I'm supposed to be on the regional company's course. I'm conflicted.
>>
What's the cheapest method of getting a private pilots license in the US?

Or alternatively: whats the best way?
>>
>>1006858
Well, I'll be damned. Most military installations near me just have D airspace. None of them seem to mind if you use it, either, so long as you make radio contact well ahead of time.
>>
>>1007230
Well, there's Pt. 61 training and Pt. 141 schools, and it depends on what you're looking for and where you are in life when you pick what you want to do. Pt. 61 is taking lessons on your own time, Pt. 141 is a school with a curriculum that usually ends with a CPL, and often an ATP, depending on what you're looking for
>>
>>1006862
I'm guessing that's highly subjective
>>
File: 1424358357362.png (107KB, 356x256px) Image search: [Google]
1424358357362.png
107KB, 356x256px
>Class A airspace
>>
>>1007943
What are you even doing up there? Come back down to where it's safe!
>>
Any Australians in here?

Got my instructor rating and itching to find that first job but coming up short...everywhere seems to want a grade 2 instructor rather than grade 3.
feelsbadman.jpeg
>>
>>1007230
Join flight club or fractional share and be good at scheduling. I think alot of newer pilots tend to bog down after picking up a new rating, if you have your own plane you'll still have something to fly after you get PPL, instrument etc.
>>
>>1007943
Yes? What about it?
>>
>>1007943
>is safe, fast, and friendly
>>
>>1009027
I much prefer flying without having to file a flight plan, however.
>>
Why is there an eternal conflict between time and money? Whenever I have the money to fly, I don't have the time, and when I have the time I don't have the money
>>
>>1009330
Life's not fair, and then you die.

You'd be wise to remember that
>>
Guys, I can't get crosswind landings down. They're just bad, like I would prefer my instructor take the controls cause I'm scared I'll kill us. The frustrating part is that is by far my weakest aspect of flying and my instructor says thats the only thing that worries him. I'm starting to think this is something that won't just "click" like regular landings did and I'm not passing that checkride..
>>
Anyone do any check rides recently?

Did my commercial ride yesterday, now onto that sweet mutli life.
>>
File: 1412515124125153154.jpg (5KB, 287x176px) Image search: [Google]
1412515124125153154.jpg
5KB, 287x176px
>>1009433
The fun part is trying to find a damn job to actually use that commercial rating.
>500 hours
>500 hours
>1500 hours
>500 hours
>>
>>1009434
I fucking know. I also live in the middle of nowhere which makes things impossible.

Just going to have to power through and get my CFI hopefully within 5 months I'm thinking.

At least there's a guy who has a plane that he lets people rent for $15 an hour including fuel. (not a typo).

Going to have to get some cheap hours in and will finally be able to take my family up.
>>
>>1006862
Wait til you get your CFI.
wew
>>
>>1009403
Tip your wing into the wind and straighten the nose out with the rudder. You'll be cross-controlled, basically a gentle slip, and you'll touch down one wheel first. There's literally no simpler, stabler, consistent way to do it. You're pretty much going to have to figure this out.
Once you've got some experience you can just kick it [the crab] out in the flare but for now that's probably more difficult and certainly less consistent.
>>
>>1009443
I was told all the flying is pretty much the same, but from the right seat.

But all the groundwork is a real, real bitch.
>>
>>1009480
See my problem is leaving the wing into the wind. I'll leave it in there for 2 seconds before I bring out the aileron the opposite way again cause I feel like I'm gonna drift too far into the wind and miss the runway
>>
>>1009586
You'll get it.

If you're not doing this already, try dipping your wing and aligning the airplane with the centerline using the rudder (same technique as discussed earlier) as soon as you turn final. This will give you more time to feel out the correct inputs. From short final to touchdown and rollout you'll round out and flare using the elevator, just like normal, while continuing your aileron and rudder inputs.

If you use this method to practise, you'll benefit from having more time per pattern circuit feeling the cross-controlled technique, and you won't be trying to go from a stabilized, crabbed final, to a destabilized cross controlled short final and touchdown.

Once you have the transition from crab to cross-controll condition mastered, feel free to do the transition from one to the other on short final or even round out, using good judgement in regards to your own ability.
>>
>>1009586
>>1009593
Another point: you may be feeling discouraged because you feel as if you're spending a ton of time on this, and making little progress. It's not your fault. A pattern circuit takes 4-6 minutes, and of that you're really only practising this technique for 20 seconds or so if you use it all the way down on final, and less if you're doing The technique on short final.. so you spend an hour in the airplane, but your really only practising this for 4 or 5 minutes at most. That's not much time, it's enough for anyone to feel discouraged.

Keep at it, it'll click.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (17KB, 296x300px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
17KB, 296x300px
It never feels like a 30 second turn when you're making them in the pattern
>>
>>1009634
That's because the standard rate turn is more applicable in instrument. If you're just dicking around in the pattern, you don't have to do 3°/second turns.
>>
Few days ago I accompanied a friend at skydiving and I was able to fly as a copilot up to 4000m (12k feet). Was really great.
Flew with a female former squadron member of the US Army (in Germany).
>>
one more pic: Immediate drop at ~4000m when the divers were already out. Max velocity until landing, was pretty slick.
>>
>>1009586
You can practice crosswind controls outside the pattern, just align on a straight road at like 500 ft with a crosswind and put in a wing-low drift correction while flying level. You can do this for miles at a time at a safe altitude, as opposed to a quarter mile at a time while intending to crash into a runway. The overall point would be to get a "feel" for putting in a few degrees of bank and treating that as your new neutral position.
>>
>>1009686
Looks like fun.
>>
File: 1326085756002.jpg (430KB, 1080x763px) Image search: [Google]
1326085756002.jpg
430KB, 1080x763px
>mfw I'm going back for round two on my CPL
I WILL NOT BE DENIED
>>
>>1010172
you got this
>>
>>1009586

... Then you're not using enough rudder.
>>
>>1010172
Sorry to hear this. I've been asked in job interviews whether I've passed all my flying exams on the first try.
>>
>>1010352
Please, everybody has failed a checkride once. If you say you haven't then you're lying.
>>
>>1010400
I really don't think that's true though.
>>
File: 1466903431792.jpg (32KB, 443x325px) Image search: [Google]
1466903431792.jpg
32KB, 443x325px
Just done my first solo and I managed to not kill anyone.
>>
>>1010433
Nobody passes CFI on their first attempt.
>>
>>1010440
Hey, nice job.

I noticed you didn't mention the condition the plane is in.
>>
Over the past three months I've flown three times, the third time being today. There was some rust, to say the least
>>
File: gate.png (3MB, 2538x1330px) Image search: [Google]
gate.png
3MB, 2538x1330px
Great day for a Bay tour
>>
>>1010804
I'd love to visit the West Coast and do that.
>>
File: b49.gif (1MB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
b49.gif
1MB, 680x680px
Where were you when you realized general aviation stall horns literally
>fucking AoA REEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1010851
R22s have an egg timer horn for their low-RPM warning, I'm fairly sure
>>
>>1010804

What's the easiest way to do this from coming outside of the local area? I was thinking about coming in from the north around San Pablo Bay and just following the water out over the coast and just flying south until I'm clear of the class B.
>>
>>1010943
Never done it from outside the area, but give NorCal a call and ask for a "Bay Tour." They'll give you a code and you'll be set to fly near the city, Alcatraz, and the bridge at 1500 feet. Usually I fly these on SFO tower but they were busy today. It's also possible to fly down the coast without talking to anyone but I prefer the other methods.
>>
>>1010966

Yeah, that was the plan. File IFR to somewhere nearby, VFR delay and then probably just go home with VFR flight following. Probably just use trucker comm with Oakland center in case they couldn't figure out what I was trying to do with the flight plan.
>>
Alright, someone help me out here. Today I did a XC with my instructor. It was direct to and airport and back. On our way there, we flew at 3,500 on a 150 heading. On our way back, we obviously flew a 330 heading, but we remained at 3,500. Now can someone explain to me why that is? Shouldn't we have been flying at an odd + 500 on our way back? What am I missing here?
>>
>>1011157
not <3000
IIRC 3,500 wouldn't be included in that, but I could be wrong. In my experience the rule isn't followed all that closely regardless, at least at altitudes under 4-5 thousand and over short hops. I usually stick to it personally though, takes some guesswork out of half the traffic spotting
>>
ppl fag here visiting from /k/. Does the /gag/ thread ever do meetups? Particularly in California/Alaska?
>>
File: VFR-Cruising-Altitudes.gif (14KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
VFR-Cruising-Altitudes.gif
14KB, 500x500px
>>1011157
>>1011169

What was the terrain elevation you were flying over? VFR Cruise Altitudes start at 3000' AGL

For example, my home airport is about 800' MSL. So I could fly at 3500' MSL, but only be at 2700' AGL, therefore not technically required to fly the VFR Cruise Altitudes prescribed in 14 CFR 91.159

This gets annoying though because let's say you're flying from an elevation of 2000' MSL to 0' MSL (exaggerated numbers just for illustration) at 3500 MSL. At some point you'd reach 3000' AGL from the ground falling out from under you.

Just fly the altitudes anyway, takes a lot of the guesswork out of it.
>>
>>1011157
It's 3000 ft AGL, so if the elevation you overflew was 500 ft then you were not required to fly VFR hemispheric.
If it wasn't at least 500 ft, well, it's not like the sky police are going to pull you over.
>>
>>1011217
>AGL
Fucking AGL/MSL
Thanks anon, clears up my IIRC
>>
>>1011225
Just remember the difference.

It could save your life.
>>
File: 12192314735813.gif (1MB, 350x191px) Image search: [Google]
12192314735813.gif
1MB, 350x191px
>>1010851
>my school 172 doesn't have a working stall warner
>mrw get any light buffet on finals
>>
>>1011246
>No stall horn
I've been doing taildragger in a champ. No horn there either. Find I do a lot more airspeed glancing.
>>
>>1011169
>>1011217
>>1011224
Okay, all our field elevations were at least 600 or greater, so now i understand why. Thanks anons.
>>
>>1011264
Always keeping a beedy eye on that ASI I bet.
>>
File: floof floof.gif (2MB, 400x265px) Image search: [Google]
floof floof.gif
2MB, 400x265px
>>1011264
who else here /taildragger/?

I'm getting towards my checkout. Shit was pretty tough in the beginning but I'm getting used to it. Also the champ is fun as fuck /10. Got an opportunity to fly a legend cub too; cub's much easier to fly and land, but can't beat 60 dollars an hour, especially on something that much fun to fly
>>
>>1011246
The plane will tell you if you get close to an aerodynamic stall. You just gotta listen
>>
>>1011264
>>1011290
I've only flown in a taildragger once, a Citabria. The massive adverse yaw when turning and not being really on the rudder took me by surprise.
>>
>>1011291
Yeah.

Like a wing dropping out from under you.
>>
>>1011295
Sluggish response from flight controls, buffeting, and the horn are all ways to identify an approach to a stall. It should never get to the point of a full stall in normal operations
>>
File: 1416821997376.jpg (8KB, 250x189px) Image search: [Google]
1416821997376.jpg
8KB, 250x189px
>>1011293
The champ is also like this. Definitely the most difficult to coordinate of anything I've flown; I can never seem to find the right balance. It feels right, then it starts to slide out again.
>>
>>1011293
>>1011309
Champ and Citabria are basically the same plane.
>>
>>1011300
I was joking.
>>
>>1010467
My initial CFI ride is on Tuesday.

I'm going to pass.
>>
File: 1423034869061.jpg (47KB, 640x691px) Image search: [Google]
1423034869061.jpg
47KB, 640x691px
>>1011519
Do it fgt
>>
>>1011309
I need this on a shirt
>>
>>1011519
Christian?
>>
>>1011768
no. Let me know if he passes though.
>>
Before I put down like $800 on a 128 GB Wi-Fi/data iPad Pro 9.7, I wanna know how often you guys use your iPads in flight? I need to ask around and see how my school is about technology during lessons as well. Looks useful and interesting, but it's a lot of money
>>
>>1011983
Best purchase I've made in my flight training senpai. Personally I'd just get the 64G one with ForeFlight Pro. Not only is it great for maps and everything, but approach plates, reference books, and weather products and such. If you wanna get the little thing you stick on the glare shield that gives you data and shit in flight, that's cool, but even just for VFR charts and weather it's worth it. Between hauling around like 50 pounds of paper and the effort to go and buy new charts/AFDs and approach plates and shit, it pays for itself man.
>>
>>1011901
Did you just assume her gender?
>>
>>1012056
Watch your pronouns, shitlord. UGH
>>
>>1012056
Yes.

She's a woman? Not gonna pass.
>>
>>1011983
For flight training it's helpful, but when you start flying for actual travel and vacations and stuff, it's almost a must-have. You can easily plan, brief, and file a 500+ mile flight in 7 to 10 minutes, that's everything, weight and balance, alternates, fuel burn, wx, FBO services, the works. Couple that with ADSB in for traffic and nearly-live wx, it's invaluable.. keep a set of charts in you though, per the regs, they're never bad to have
>>
>>1012008
>>1012141
Shit man, I've been doing all my planning via paper charts and A/FD's.
>>
>>1011983

Get an ipad mini for less than $200. Fltplan go is free. If you want inflight weather, you can make a stratux around $100
>>
>>1011519

I took the cfi-i as my initial with an faa inspector. I passed the first try. I passed the add on the next week first time with a dpe as well
>>
>>1012151
Yeah nah, fuck that. I'm not intentionally being a ForeFlight salesman, but it is an invaluable tool. Also get the mini; it fits in the cockpit better
>>
>>1012210
I hear you anon, I love me some foreflight. It really takes the guesswork out and lets you enjoy yourself. Not that I don't enjoy aviating in all its facets, but it's definitely nice (and I suspect safer) to centralize the cockpit workload and just have a good time flying, particularly if you're alone or with someone who doesn't know how to help you. 90% of the bitch of it is just paper and number management. Sectionals are big, yo.
>>
>>1012151
are you at least using skyvector.com ?
>>
File: thumb[1].jpg (25KB, 458x305px) Image search: [Google]
thumb[1].jpg
25KB, 458x305px
Why do we use hi bypass jet engines instead of unducted fans?
>>
>>1012316
No interest. Honestly it is an excellent idea from an engineering and efficiency standpoint. The concept was born out of the need for efficient engine designs in the 1970's, but when fuel prices dropped in the 80's people turned to turbofans because they're sleek, fast, and people saw props as antiquated. The technology was briefly looked at by NASA in the early 2000's but Rolls Royce, Pratt and Whitney, GE, and the like already have too strong a grip on the market with high bypass turbofans. It's just not feasible from an economical standpoint
>>
>>1012300
Not frequently.

Sectionals man.
>>
>>1012316
>>1012327
Also noise. Commercial jets were a lot louder back in the 70's.

Modern high bypass turbofans are so much better than the turbojets and low-bypass turbofans that propfans were trying to compete with in the 70s.
>>
File: Untitled.png (27KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
27KB, 800x600px
>>1012316

Slightly makes me wonder if a design like picrelated would work for a small aircraft.
>>
>>1012344
I could swear I've seen this arrangement before, but I can't remember where
>>
>>1012346

Any single engine jet fighter?
A Pusher-Prop GA?
>>
File: image.jpg (65KB, 800x469px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65KB, 800x469px
>>1012344
>>1012346
>>1012349
Japs thought of something similar a while back, the Kyushu J7W. Torque and weight were the main engineering issues with it. The end of the war cancelled the program though
>>
File: image.jpg (76KB, 954x321px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76KB, 954x321px
Or just the Long EZ
>>
>>1012350
>Kyushu J7W

Well the great thing about the design here >>1012344 is that it's mainly a jet, getting rid of the torque issues.
And a jet engine would probably weigh lighter for the same size.
>>
>>1012333
That's basically what skyvector is
>>
>>1012427
I know. I just like having paper on hand because technology can go to shit on you in the worst of times.
>>
>>1012492
This. I've yet to have a problem, but fuck getting stuck up a creek. I just keep sectionals folded to useful places in a pocket somewhere, or make my passenger hold them
>>
Initial CFI checkride tomorrow.

Palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms spaghetti, etc.

Actually I'm pretty confident. Not studying at all today, there's no point now. Either I know my shit or I don't.
>>
>>1003664
All the time.

>1942 Dc-3
>1940 Porterfield
>1950 T-28A
>1942 T-6
>>
File: yaaaay.gif (257KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
yaaaay.gif
257KB, 320x180px
>>1013661
>DC-3
HHHHNGGGG
DC-3 is my planefu
>>
File: DC3rs.jpg (68KB, 896x600px) Image search: [Google]
DC3rs.jpg
68KB, 896x600px
>>1013661
>DC-3

Rather remarkable plane, that one
>>
>>1013661
>Dc-3
Bullshit
>>
>>1013646
Good luck mah dude
>>
File: 20160604_072108.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160604_072108.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>1013683
>>1013756
>>1013775

I've been with her for 6 years now.
>>
>>1014027
Niiiiice.
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 61

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.