[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unicycling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: nimbus24inch.jpg (99KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
nimbus24inch.jpg
99KB, 675x900px
Thinking about picking up unicycling and would like to eventually take to trails.

Is this a good one? I'm 5'7", 165 lbs. Never unicycled before, but used to be into road and mountain biking.

I'd also like to replace my longboard with the unicycle for my commute if things go well.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/5680243164.html
>>
Looks good. But you should consider changing that uncomfortable saddle for a noseless moon saddle
>>
>>982020
I figured $325 is a lot to drop on a unicycle, considering I don't even know how to do it yet.

But then I figured, worse case scenario I could try to resell it.

Another thing I need to worry about is getting some crash gear; knees, gloves and helmet. Maybe elbows too
>>
>>982020
Are you fucking around? I don't think you can ride a nose-less unicycle, can you?
>>
>>982024
Is the nose that handle?
I'm going to eventually want to do things like hop up and down curbs, and take the uni to my local hiking path (dirt trail in a nearby hill/mountain), and in every video I've see, the cyclists had their hand glued to the handle
>>
>>982024
Yes you can https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WRzqlh3728
>>
Besides the cycle itself, I figure I'm going to want to invest in crash gear, especially since I'm nearly 30 and not fit. Wouldn't want to get f*cked up.
So I think I'll need knee guards, elbow guards and wrist/hand protection. As far as wrist/hand protections goes, should I get wrist guards separate from gloves, or are gloves good enough? And for the knee protection, I see some $90 knee+shin guard things on unicycle.com, but are those overkill? I heard about 'pedal bite' which sounds painful, is that all the shin guard portion of these $90 guards are for? Or is there more to it?

tl;dr what protective gear do I wear I don't want to get f*cked up. Besides a good helmet, obviously. Should I just wear the same gear a skateboarder would wear?

Looking at this:
http://www.unicycle.com/safety-gear/kali-aazis-plus-180-leg-armor-3627.html
and this
http://www.unicycle.com/mbs-core-pads-tri-pack-3136.html

>>982028
That's dope. I saw a wheel like that on CR and was wondering how the seat attached.
>>
christ. just called my local bike shop, guy said I should expect to spend near $200 for protective gear, not including the helmet. I mean I have a job so it's not like I can't afford it but god damn. someone tell me it's worth it
>>
I don't think pads are very important on a unicycle, you don't go very fast and I don't recall ever really crashing when I learned on one.
>>
>>982040
A few years ago I fractured both my wrists and elbows in a longboarding accident once; I'd rather not do anything besides bicycling or riding my longboard (modestly) without crash gear again.
>>
>>982034
It's pretty hard to hurt yourself on a unicycle when you're just learning on the street. For the first few months depending on how much you practice you aren't going to be moving faster than 5-10mph and when you crash all that happens is the uni flies out from under you and you end up on your feet.

Wait until you really get into it and start gaining some speed or going off-road before going all out on gear.
>>
A unicycle is a terrible form of transportation. If you just want to fuck about on one then that's cool but pick up something cheap if you've never ridden one before. My 20" was just over £30 on Ebay, I never learned to ride it but I don't give a shit as it was so cheap (and if I ever did get the hang of it and wanted to upgrade it's also no big loss).

Regarding protection you don't need to be spending $200. Really you could get by with nothing for normal riding, most of the time you'll be landing on your feet and the times that you stumble over you're not falling very far so should be able to stop yourself with your hands (don't just stick your arms out and lock your elbows, absorb the impact and roll if you need to).
>>
>>982013
Looks cool but the price is kinda steep. Invest in some shin pads that cover the whole front of your legs regardless of those shin cutter pedals that thing has, if you're like me you're gonna hit your legs with pedals once in a while when starting out.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.