[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Returning bicycle on layway

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Does anyone know legalities regarding buying a bike from a shop on layaway?
My mother put a bike on layaway for me, for my birthday, and expected me to pay it off, the remaining $1000, to receive the bicycle. This was for me 21st birthday because she knew I liked riding my bike, and I really needed a new one.

The problem is, the bike shop didn't even ask her about sizing or anything, and when I went in they said they just put a 56cm on layaway, which is fine, but not exactly ideal.
Furthermore, when I asked them about the 20% fee off they said I would receive to my mother, on any purchases in the shop for the next month after the purchase was complete, which when I brought it up they said yes, but are now denying they will order the product I and her originally asked if it would be covered (stages power meter).
To make this situation worse, they also do not give a bike fit with it whatsoever, which isn't a big deal as I believe I could make most minor adjustments, but is still unappealing.

So, basically I'm left with a $1000 debt to get my bike, from a bike shop that is not holding up to what it originally said, and seems likes a generally horrible bike shop. I'd also prefer a Giant over the Cannon-dale most likely, although that's not a real issue.
They want a restocking fee of $145. Any way I can get her money back and not cough up the $100 to this shitty scamming bike shop? They did say they wouldn't charge a restocking fee originally as well as I have never taken the bike for a ride at the shop or elsewhere, nor have taken it out of the store whatsoever. I have only seen the bike.

I'd really prefer not to waste the $145, but even if I have to, it'd still be cheaper to go to another bike shop as the CAAD 12 is sold for about $300-400 less at other retailers near by. And yes, I know layaway is a fucking scam and my mom is a silly goose.
>>
>>980120
My mother also asked when she made the arrangement if the bike was 50/34 and could easily go up mountains and if the cassette was a 32 because "he will be going up mountains and all over with this" they said that yes it'd be fine, this would be the bike.
The bikes a 52/36 with a 28 in the back, which is definitely not what she asked for or exactly what I wanted or needed.
>>
This is the first time I hear about this layaway thing, seems pretty shady

I would just ignore them
>>
Talk to the manager, and suggest to him or her that your next contact will be the better business beauro and that the matter may have to be settled in small claims court.
>>
OP, did your mom sign any kind of documentation regarding the layaway arrangement? If so, what those documents say will have to be abided by. But if it was an informal arrangement, you could likely do as the previous anon suggests and take them to small claims court - you just have to decide whether it's worth $145 to take the time to do that or not.
>>
>>980134
My mother already threw $1000 at the shop, I can't really "ignore them," they have our money now.

>>980145
It was informal, all she signed (and I signed when I went there myself) is a card for the cannon-dale frame warranty, or at least that's what he said, it didn't have anything else written on it.

If my only option is to do >>980137 I guess I could do that, at least as a threat, then if they don't buy it scurry off with the remaining $800+ I get back and just leave nasty reviews of the shop.
Wouldn't have time to actually go to court as I will be leaving in a month on my way to Asia, or at the very least leaving across the country depending on what is needed for work.
>>
>>980159
Well then, sadly, I think your best option is to pay the restocking fee they're asking for and get the rest of your money back.
>>
>>980159
How did your mom throw down the money, and what state do you live in.

If she paid with a credit card it's time for her to get on the phone with her company. If the layaway restocking fee is bullshit it may be time to call them and see if they can do a chargeback.

Double check your states laws. Consumer protection laws vary state to state on layaway.
>>
>>980172
Also, have you looked at the stores return policy? Buying out the bike then immediately returning it for a full refund may be an option. Especially because the bike they're giving you isn't exactly as it was described in the initial sale.
>>
>>980172
She paid with a check that was cashed almost a week ago, so we can't charge-back or cancel the check.
I live in Texas, so I believe the laws are more on the seller-side of things.

>>980174
It's a small retailer, just some local bike shop that sells a few different brands by a local university.
It's their only store, and despite being open about three decades they have no policy and at first when I asked (when the owner wasn't there) they said they rarely get people asking that and said it shouldn't be any charge.

I'm thinking my best bet might just be going in, asking for the money back and just saying that the workers said there would be no fee, especially because I never rode the bike around or anything, while also throwing in that he's refusing to do the 20% now, which is what we discussed prior.
I mean, even if they don't fix the issue I'd still be saving money buying the same bike elsewhere because they hiked the price up so much at that shop.
>>
>>980230
Don't even bother arguing over a restocking fee. From what you've said they're unwilling to provide the product you paid for as described.

Demand your money back in full, and don't take anything less.
>>
kek so you're not getting a free fit and a free power meter, the bike shop explained to your mother what's perfectly good climbing gearing is perfectly good climbing gearing and i bet to hell she accepted that and she ordered a bike without first asking you which size, but the size is actually fine?

Sounds like you're just mad that the little shop doesn't have big shop prices, but no shit. The restocking fee is completely reasonable too, otherwise they're stuck with a bike they didn't want, and might not be able to sell.

Layaway isn't a scam and you're a princess.
>>
>>980120
If they aren't sticking to their word, threaten to sue them if they don't give you back 100% of what you paid with no restocking fee, then go buy from a different LBS
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.