[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is a good smart phone mount for bicycle handle bars?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9

File: finn-smartphone-mount.png (460KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
finn-smartphone-mount.png
460KB, 800x800px
Looking for something that is affordable and easy to remove rather than a permanent fixture. I have an android phone but feel free to recommend iPhone specific stuff too. Could be useful to someone.
>>
>>979197
GOD CAN YOU NOT PUT IT DOWN FOR A FEW MINUTES
>>
>>979199

he wants to use strava, dumbfuck
>>
File: smartphone_drybag5_bk_mnt.jpg (123KB, 368x368px) Image search: [Google]
smartphone_drybag5_bk_mnt.jpg
123KB, 368x368px
>>979197
>topeak drybag
Recommended it in the BQG recently. Recommendation still stands.
>>
>>979201
He wants to play Pokémon, anon
>>
>strapping on shit to your bike other than a garmin mount and bottle cages
Do you even /pro/fessional
>>
>>979209
>>979209
>buying a extra gadget that costs as much as you smartphone did that has a worse screen, worse maps, cant be used to phone for help in case of emergency, does not surf web when stopping by the coffeeshop and cant into arngy birds
>when you already own a smartphone
I bet you think your monochrome TI calculator is a great statement piece on your desk, too.
>>
File: tumblr_o7ptr3rQ0l1td1l6do1_500.png (254KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o7ptr3rQ0l1td1l6do1_500.png
254KB, 500x500px
>>979199
no i need to play pokemon go. next.
>>979208
this anon gets it
>>
>>979216
I found a piece of shit china holder on Amazon from Akron (?) a whole ago. it's actually pretty gud.
https://www.amazon.com/Arkon-iPhone-Smartphone-Handlebar-Galaxy/dp/B004M8ST4A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468273811&sr=8-1&keywords=akron+bike+mounts
>>
>>979210
Not him, but my phone cost $499 and my bike computer cost $13

I dunno why you'd want a phone on your handlebar when they're

1. More fragile and not very waterproof
2. Have to be set to never turn the screen off (thus draining the battery rapidly) if they're to be of any use
3. Horribly inaccurate for speed and short-term distance compared to a sensor
4. Bulky as fuck
4. Make you look like a dysfunctional internet addict

If you want to map your ride or if you NEED your long-term distance and can't handle some tiny margin of error, you can just stick your phone in the back of your jersey (or your saddlebag or whatever) and use an app for that, it doesn't actually need to be on your handlebars
>>
File: IMG_2016-07-10-09185517.png (4MB, 2392x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2016-07-10-09185517.png
4MB, 2392x1440px
>>979216
Git gud
>>
>>979197
>What is a good smart phone mount for bicycle handle bars?
You 'mount' it in your saddlebag, or better yet, leave it at home and JUST RIDE.
>huge-ass oversized fucking PHONE on your handlebars
Are you a circus clown or something?

Get a handlebar computer like a normal person.
>>
>>979300
People want strava, gps maps (and pokemon) , not a speed/distance sensor.
>>
>>979216
Speaking of Pokemon Go! and bicycles...
>>
>>979300
you're kind of an idiot aren't you?

1. my phone is just as water resistant and drop proof as a gps head unit
2. ridewithgps, mapmyride, strava, and tons of other apps have been built specifically for cycling. they all manage to turn the screen on only when needed, use minimal data, and limit they're battery drain quite well
3. the location services on modern smartphones is scarily accurate. you must have a flip phone or something if you think otherwise.
4. my phone is slim enough to fit comfortably in my pocket when I'm walking around; that's the opposite of bulky senpai
4. that's only your perception because you're an uninformed shitlord

literally kill yourself.
>>
>>979401
>>1. my phone is just as water resistant and drop proof as a gps head unit
IPX7 certified?

>>3. the location services on modern smartphones is scarily accurate. you must have a flip phone or something if you think otherwise.

You ever see someone with a stupid low segment time KOM and see the GPS data is fucked? Yeah that's always a phone app, not a garmin.

Not sure why I'm trying to argue with some edgy kid though
>>
>>979406
Yeah it's a phone app on some shitty old phone only has a GPS unit. Most modern smart phones have great accuracy when I it comes to GPS.

Why would I buy an expensive Garmin when I already have a better head unit right in my pocket all the time.
>>
>>979343
you double-wrap the right side yet don't even bother using the tops?
>>
>>979392
You can do those things with your phone in your saddlebag unless you mean "having the phone on the whole time" in which case enjoy your dead battery
>>979401
>my phone is just as water resistant
this is how I know you don't ride in the rain
> the location services on modern smartphones is scarily accurate. you must have a flip phone or something if you think otherwise.
they don't make flip phones anymore, have you ever actually looked at the GPS track after a ride? half the time I'm literally riding on water or going through buildings
>>
>>979417
It's not double wrapped its just thick tape and I'm a little bit shit at wrapping bars
>>
File: 20160708_130836-1.jpg (1014KB, 3081x1623px) Image search: [Google]
20160708_130836-1.jpg
1014KB, 3081x1623px
>>980606
Also I think that might be the angle of that other photo
>>
File: thatskindofdisgustingoc.jpg (14KB, 233x194px) Image search: [Google]
thatskindofdisgustingoc.jpg
14KB, 233x194px
>>979413
>Why would I buy an expensive Garmin when I already have a better head unit right in my pocket all the time.

>better

You ignorant filth.
>>
>>979300
What kind of fucking $13 bike computer gives you turn-for-turn directions? Huh? Right, no I didn't think so.
You're welcome back to the discussion when you have any idea what it's about.
>>
>>980627
>I need turn by turn directions
Are you riding in Baghdad or something? Where does this actually matter?
>>
>>980661
Ah, so you've never been anywhere new on your bike.
>>
>>980663
>if I don't have a voice telling me what to do I might get lost!
Ah, so you were born in 1999 or so
>>
>>980609
That bike appears to be missing brakes and shifters. Are you, by any chance, a faggot?
>>
>>980661
>Where does this actually matter?
On unfamiliar roads. Like, you know, this massively popular thing people in cages use to show them how to get where they want to go. It's like that. Welcome to the twenty-first century.
>>980670
If you're going to go full retard then yes, you could do the same with a paper map. It is just less convenient and requires you to take time away from riding to read the map every once in a while.
Good job on confirming to veryone that you're a complete faggot who never rides his bike anywhere but around the block.

Perhaps when you grow up and your mom lets you go on a few audaxes/centuries/tours you'll understand the appeal.
>>
>>980711
>If you're going to go full retard then yes, you could do the same with a paper map
Yes, I see they still teach history in schools. Another option that works well is to map your route before starting and actually look at it. Then you can keep your phone in your saddlebag or jersey pocket like you would either way, and if you miss a turn or something, then take it out.

I have nothing against GPS cycle computers if you don't give a shit about speed readings and don't mind the extra bulky display, but the idea that you'd get instantly lost and die if you're not being bottle fed by your electronic mommy every ten seconds is ridiculous ADHD-generation nonsense. You sound like one of those people who would ride straight off a cliff if the computer said it was a valid route
>>
>>980719
>but the idea that you'd get instantly lost and die if you're not being bottle fed by your electronic mommy every ten seconds is ridiculous ADHD-generation nonsense.
Holy strawman, Batman! You're retarded. Good night.
>>
>all of these fired up bike fag purists
Lol who the fuck cares if someone has their phone on their handlebars.
>>
>>980719
Like I said, so you've never been anywhere new.
Gotcha.
>>
GPS is a crutch and takes the fun out of exploring.
>>
>>980755
Try to wrap your mind around the idea that people went to new places for thousands of years and nothing bad happened.

I know it sounds totally crazy and suicidal, but at least try.
>>
>>980759
>and nothing bad happened
I... don't think this is accurate.
>>
>>980760
Fair enough. If you go for a ride without an e-mommy chaperoning your every step, you'll end up a cannibal in a blizzard.
>>
File: wink.jpg (53KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
wink.jpg
53KB, 640x360px
>>980763
>if I be mean, they'll believe me
>luddites are rad!
>>
>>980763
>>people desire automatic navigational aid out of convenience
>can not relate because is house-bound neet
>>gets btfo
>invents gobsmackingly stupid strawman to save face
Yeah, you sure showed them all. Them mean people on the internet. They all respect and revere you now, you know. Completely blinded by your worldly mannerisms and """authentic""" map-reading. *le hat tip*

So, tell me anon, how many bike tours have you been on recently? Hm?
And how many actual paper maps do you own? Just to show you're not just playing tough on the internet. Again.
>>
>>980767
I did ragbrai in the 90s before everyone had pacifiers, it was fine. Get over the fact that some people aren't helpless little babies
>>
File: 1437303342195.jpg (31KB, 476x717px) Image search: [Google]
1437303342195.jpg
31KB, 476x717px
>>980769
>>
>>980769
Sure you did, kid. What's with the $13 bike computer? Back in MY days we dropped a sinker, counted the knots on the line passing through our hands, calculated speed with charcoal on a damp piece of cloth by comparing the time passed on our sundials! And we liked it that way and if you use a speedo you're just a helpless baby. If you didn't have your electronic babysitter telling you what speed you're doing all the time I bet you'd get eaten by a grue in an instant. I'm sure it even has digital dials.
For thousands of years people didn't even have watches and they were fine! Just FINE! *heavy panting*
>>
File: jamis.jpg (70KB, 839x599px) Image search: [Google]
jamis.jpg
70KB, 839x599px
>>980772
kek
>>
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010OPQVUS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been using this one recently works good and you can still have a phone case on it while using it which is nice
>>
>>980612
>t-the Garmin head unit I bought must be better because the marketing jew told me so
I might buy one if they didn't intentionally gimp their cheaper models so that their top end model would sell more.

Please tell me what my phone can't do as a head unit.

And you'd be carrying your phone with you anyway in case something happens. So I don't see a reason to spend few hundred dollars on a device that does the exactly same thing as the phone already in my jersey pocket can do.
>>
>>980799
Just bought this. The reviews were overwhelmingly positive, i also needed one for poke mongo.
>>
>>979197
Quad lock, I want one myself but they don't make the case for my phone which means gluing the adapter.

http://www.quadlockcase.com/?gclid=CNrWi4XL-M0CFYkDaQodeXkMbQ
>>
>>981527
I just had an Otterbox that came with the pocket clip.
Glued the clip down so it couldn't open, then ran a hose clamp through the clip and tightened it around the handlebars.

Worked out super well.
>>
>>980698
he is
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.