[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Straddling/tunnel buses

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 18

File: FBCrFeR.jpg (118KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
FBCrFeR.jpg
118KB, 720x405px
What do you think?
>>
How is it a bus when it runs on rails?
>>
Might have some uses like lessening traffic at an airport or reducing the size of a bridge/tunnel needed
>>
2011 called. They want their meme back.
>>
>>978253
vaporware
>>
>>978253
>dumbass cagers crash for a billionth time in a particulair strech of road
>Train go-ers are duped

great idea senpaitachi
>>
>>978253
>what is an elevated train
>>
>>978253
I think Is gay and rail transport is much better
>>
>>978254
>what is railbus
>what is streetbus
>>
>>978253

GL with maintaining this shit China.
>>
>>978253
>>978702
They should just build one of those (>>929974) over the motorway.
>>
>>978253
sounds like a good idea but they would have to change the size of all of the bridges.
>>
What I see is a tram designed to not take away cager space. Seems like a really bad idea to spend gazillions more than a modern tram system would cost just to keep a couple of lanes.
>>
So what happens when you meet a tractor trailer or tall box truck?
>>
>>979503
Usually some roads has height restriction. A closed-loop roads wouldn't have tall vehicles
>>
>>978253
All it takes is a person parking their car on one of the tracks and it can go no further.
>>
>>978253
Imagine how startling it would be if you were driving along, not paying close attention to what's behind you, when suddenly this fucking giant elevated railbus drives right over you.
>>
>>981294
Changing lanes would be fun too
>>
>>978253
>What do you think?
It sucks.
It is trying to provide a service that can (literally) overcome car traffic congestion, but the minimal train size is very large and expensive.

What would be better would be to have an elevated roadway that you could run normal buses on, that dropped-down to street level every mile or so, and that had remote-controlled access gates (to let buses get on and off it).
This way you could just use buses but they could still avoid getting caught in traffic jams, and the elevated roadways would only need to be built in areas where traffic jams were a problem.

Also the elevated road could be used for emergency vehicles too, and that way they wouldn't get caught in traffic jams either.
>>
>>978253
Why not just build an elevated track?
>>
>>978253
put a balloon on that thing and i'll take 2.
>>
>>981586
More expensive.
>>
how does it turn tho

is it like flexible
>>
>>981849
It doesn't
>>
>>981839
Can't be more expensive than engineering a monstrosity that doesn't even functionally fit in the road
>>
>>978253
>>978702
I don't think it passes minimum height requirements for overpass bridges so it's a serious hazard for any vehicles that are higher than compact family cars.
>>
>>978253
its honestly fucking retarded, youre better off building elevated rail rapid transit like a normal city
>>
File: China-elevated-bus.webm (295KB, 685x376px) Image search: [Google]
China-elevated-bus.webm
295KB, 685x376px
>>981849
>>
File: liquid_metal.jpg (15KB, 252x345px) Image search: [Google]
liquid_metal.jpg
15KB, 252x345px
>>982451
>how does it turn
well duh
it's made of liquid metal dumass
>>
File: monorail-apu.jpg (192KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
monorail-apu.jpg
192KB, 576x432px
>>982451
>>982457
Is there a chance the train could bend?
>>
>>982460
not a chance, my Hindu friend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhpO_WcR_jE
>>
File: expresso-tiradentes-ana-neri[1].png (3MB, 1920x1083px) Image search: [Google]
expresso-tiradentes-ana-neri[1].png
3MB, 1920x1083px
>>981579
>What would be better would be to have an elevated roadway that you could run normal buses on, that dropped-down to street level every mile or so, and that had remote-controlled access gates (to let buses get on and off it).

We have this in São Paulo, its called Expresso Tiradentes

Its a elevated roadway only for buses
>>
>>983545
Thats cool but making it this big, why didnt they just made it for monorail? You already have those in sao paulo
>>
File: image.jpg (350KB, 1339x454px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
350KB, 1339x454px
>>983550
Its not exclusive to Sao Paulo. It's called Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) and it happens when city officials decide to jew the people out of a real rapid transit system. Pic related is a half assed attempt at a BRT (which is already a half assed public transport system to begin with) in my city.
>>
>>983550
It was supposed to be a busway with guided vehicles, but the mayor started the construction without money to finish it.

20 years later they decided to give up the original idea and just run normal buses.

One of the ends of the viaduct actually goes to the start of the monorail Line 15, but it goes to the ground before the station, ruining any possibility of becoming a extension.
>>
>>978253
Good thing all my destinations are in a single straight section of road
>>
>>983590
>half assed BRT
they fail at failing. nice.
>>
>>978253
It's like they don't realize commercial vehicles exist.
That is not a 15 foot clearance...
>>
Poorly conceived, recipe for crashes. Just build a rail adjacent or overhead, not have something that drooling cagers will inevitably destroy.

>>983590

Hey fellow denverite. Haven't been on the flatiron flyers. Wish they'd just extend the rail system more quickly. Light rails are comfy as fuck, and they'll be so much more useful once the extensions open. Dreaming of them going all the way out to fort collins, castle rock, and colorado springs. Of course run less frequently than in metro. Colorado has a huge benefit that most of our populated cities are in one small area and more or less along a linear path. Potentially a COMFY transit system.

I'd have the bus done away with altogether if they just opened more rails, and some inner metro connecting rails to places like cherry shit.
>>
>>984397
Technically a Boulderite but I completely agree with you. Unfortunately, we may not even see the a transport system like that emerge in our lifetime. The Flatiron Flyers are comfortable as buses go but it is still no competition to a light rail system. Even though the original transport plan called for the Boulder line to be finished sometime in the next few years, the RTD pushed back the plans to the 2040s. By that time, all the Silverliners that are on the light rail line(s) might possibly be retired by then and that's just to complete the original plan. I fear that we may never see a proper public transport system for the Front Range.
>>
File: 1441892745690.jpg (2MB, 4000x3188px) Image search: [Google]
1441892745690.jpg
2MB, 4000x3188px
>>983550
Fuck monorail, just elevate regular light rail.
>>
China likes it's absurd transport solutions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdoth8DncI0
>>
>>983590
>failed BRT
but that's not the silver line
>>
>>978253
>What do you think?
How does it go round corners?
>>
>>982460
Kek
>>
File: 14701590517220.jpg (83KB, 910x619px) Image search: [Google]
14701590517220.jpg
83KB, 910x619px
They actually did it, the absolute madmen.
>>
File: 14701592201500.jpg (66KB, 910x601px) Image search: [Google]
14701592201500.jpg
66KB, 910x601px
>>
File: 14701592426210.jpg (87KB, 910x607px) Image search: [Google]
14701592426210.jpg
87KB, 910x607px
>>
>>988873
Can't for the numerous accident reports because of the Chinese driver meme.
>>
>>988873
oh shit its fucking real
holy shit
>>
>>988873
>All the time, it was... They finally really built it. You maniacs! You built it! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!
>>
>>988875
>>988874
>>988873
M A D M A N
A
D
M
A
N
>>
File: ooooooooooooo.png (99KB, 247x248px) Image search: [Google]
ooooooooooooo.png
99KB, 247x248px
Have they considered just building trains?
>>
>>984569
>elevate regular light rail
>picture is of trains

this is why americans shouldn't discuss public transportation, they just jam together random words and make a mess if it gets built

Also, those are cable cars on the street. You can tell because of the 'third track' in the middle, its not a track its the grove where the cable ran.
>>
>>981579
>>983545
what would be better yet would be to stop being fixated on automotive solutions and just accept rail. Be trams/streetcars/lightrail or trains
Why are Americans incapable of accepting rail? To the point of such absurd work arounds being accepted instead
>>
>>988874
Can't wait to see this in practice where people don't stay in their lanes and get crushed.

Nice idea, but really bad IRL.
>>
fb /shanghaiist/videos/10154812294991030/

video of it in action

----

Man, fuck the haters, now I REALLY want this to work. Of course, it's not my tax money, so I guess I don't really give a shit if it fails.
>>
>>989104
>cable cars on the street
>picture is of conduit current collection

this is why non-americans shouldn't discuss public transportation, they just jam together random words and make a mess if it gets built
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPdl3uxW3aI

"Long distance test next year"

Huh.
>>
>>988874
It uses residential air conditioner units.
>>
>>989136
I rike it.
>>
>>989101
Not economically viable.

They're looking for something that would be better than BRT or tram (because chink drivers)
>>
>>989133
how can you tell it's conduit current collection and not cable cars?
>>
>>988875
that looks comfy af
maybe cause I am imagining it be sparsely populated like the pic and not filled to the brim with gooks shitting all over the floor
>>
>>989131
would it block car radio/phone signals?
seems like they would get a lot of complaints about being too loud
>>
So Blimptrain when?
>>
File: bigdonk.jpg (130KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
bigdonk.jpg
130KB, 800x600px
>>988873

Muh donk!
>>
>>978253
This is going too fail hard.
>>
>>989131
That is really cool, but holy shit it's loud.
>>
>>989271
genuine kek
>>
File: 7ft2.6in.jpg (168KB, 958x446px) Image search: [Google]
7ft2.6in.jpg
168KB, 958x446px
>>978253
>What do you think?
I'm kind of torn. I would much rather have elevated track. However, some have claimed this thing would be much cheaper than building elevated track. If that's true, then this just might be a good idea.

My problem is the height. It might just be my claustrophobia speaking, but it seems to me to be a too short.

I understand that it's for cities where truck traffic can be restricted; I wouldn't expect 14-foot clearance or anything like that. And 7 feet is actually about average clearance for a parking garage in the US.

But still, couldn't they have given it a little bit more clearance? Driving on a street, even a crowded city street, isn't the same as looking for a parking space in a garage; and the parking garage sure as heck isn't driving over me, either. I just don't think making it another foot or so higher would've hurt it.
>>
>>989327
they should just make the underside of it mirrors
>>
what if bus wants to turn and you want to go straight?
what if you want to turn and bus wants to go straight?
>>
>>989617
One of you waits until the other has passed.
Apparently the bus gets its own turn phase at traffic lights.
>>
>>978263
>>
>>989617
>>989628
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU8HrO7XuiE

>//music plays
>>
>>989631
>this meme
>>
>>982460

Did kek, would kek again.
>>
As far as transport memes go I prefer "the train that never stops" over "the lanky tunnelbus"
>>
Good idea for Beijing, where the streets look like this one a good day.

It would be great for Beijing especially since the main ring-streets there are mostly straight.
>>
Cager-tier idea
>>
>>989161
>that looks comfy af
For real, even if it gets packed as fuck look at all that space.
>>
So cars not paying attention while merging get fucked?

If it's over you you're fucked until traffic moves or all of it's passengers board.

If 1 of 18,000 cars is stopped on the track the thing is stuck until the fucker moves.

dozens of other headaches that had to be thought about by smart people.......right?!?
>>
>>990330
If trams can do it without any significant snag, why would you think this straddling buses can't
>>
>>983590

Where I live our BRT system was designed to be converted to light-rail with relative ease since it will eventually go over capacity.

Although I think we should have just gone with LRT to begin with...it would have been cheaper in the long-run. Although it's nice to finally see some forward-thinking in a city that acts like a small town.
>>
>>990936
Maintaining them would equally be a bitch. Not many metro/light metro/trams lines in the that are profitable, and building unwarranted infrastructure would make it a very expensive white elephant
>>
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.