[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: MyBike.jpg (3MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
MyBike.jpg
3MB, 2448x2448px
So, I bought this bike 6 years ago. It's a Specialized Sirrus (2010). It's in a very good condition since I've hardly used it.

What do you guys think I should upgrade? Any comments? Remarks?

I'm not very fond of the handlebar, because it doesn't allow for a comfortable position when I'm just cruising around. I thought about buying a handlebar like the ones that sit on old classic bicycles. You know, the ones where the handles are positioned towards you. But a handlebar like that doesn't seem to fit a bike like this, so I don't really know what to do.

Should I just buy a new bike?
>>
You could put the seat lower and ride it less. Maybe start a few more threads about it. A kickstand could be pretty handy as well.
>>
>I've hardly used it.
>What do you guys think I should upgrade?
GTFO
>>
>>977400
Thanks for the advice. Do you have any for the handlebar situation?
>>977403
Well, all parts on stock bikes aren't equal, or am I wrong? The reason I purchased it 6 years ago was because I was gonna use it for exercise, but then I switched to other means of attaining said exercise. It has been parked in the garage ever since (with the exception of a few tours).
>>
Does the thing actually fit you?

If the bars are a little off, go with a stem replacement.

Also see trekking bars.

If you convert it to a casual upright rider, go with a wider saddle if you feel ass pain.
>>
>>977592
>Does the thing actually fit you?
Yeah, the reason for the saddle being so low is because I removed it a couple of of days ago (and didn't bother putting it back in a correct height).
>If you convert it to a casual upright rider, go with a wider saddle if you feel ass pain.
I've actually been doing a lot of thinking today and I think I want to scrap the whole casual bike thing, and get a cyclocross instead.

What do you (or anyone else reading this) reckon I can sell this bike for?
>>
>>977663
Do you have local cross trails/ gravel roads to ride? Go explore them on this bike. See that 'All Condition' on those plush 32mm tires? Get out there. It's boring to ride on the road, but it will be fun on cross trails/ gravel and you can work out if you like riding that terrain, and if there's enough of it to want to explore on a cyclocross bike.

If you just want a cross bike to not have a road bike for road riding/ not ride at all then there are surely cheaper options.
>>
>>977663
If you can't get comfortable with flat bars what makes you think a drop bar bike is going to be any better?

Figure out what's causing you the trouble and adjust accordingly (stem length and height).
>>
>>977667
The reason I want to switch to a cyclecross is because I live in Sweden, and we get a long winter here (with plenty of snow and ice), and I reckon the cyclecross will be better for that than a road bike. I also want to option of riding in the forest or on gravel roads if I want to. I don't see that happening with a road bike. That's pretty much the reasons why.
>>977670
>If you can't get comfortable with flat bars what makes you think a drop bar bike is going to be any better?
What I meant in the OP was that it wasn't a comfortable position for just cruising around at medium speed in the city, etc. It's pretty comfortable when going high speeds (and I lean over).
>>
>>977684
>it wasn't a comfortable position for just cruising around at medium speed in the city, etc. It's pretty comfortable when going high speeds (and I lean over).
And so I'll ask again, what makes you think drop bars are going to be any more comfortable? It's not going to get you any more upright.

> we get a long winter here (with plenty of snow and ice), and I reckon the cyclecross will be better for that than a road bike. I also want to option of riding in the forest or on gravel roads
One of the advantages of flat bars is much greater control, especially useful on rough terrain.
>>
>>977690
I don't think that's a significant advantage on any terrain you'd take OPs hybrid out on.
>>
>>977690
>And so I'll ask again, what makes you think drop bars are going to be any more comfortable? It's not going to get you any more upright.
Yeah but that's my point. I'm thinking I'll scrap the whole "cruising at a slow pace" and just go with a cyclocross. The position of the handlebar is not uncomfortable when I lean over.
>One of the advantages of flat bars is much greater control, especially useful on rough terrain.
Isn't a cyclocross better though, for all-terrain riding than a hybrid like the one I posted in the OP? More durable parts, etc. I don't know. Help me out.

Also, what do you reckon (if I were to sell) I can get for my bike?
>>
>>977774
>More durable parts
It's held up fine so far.
>>
File: LsY4aT38Ofk.jpg (66KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
LsY4aT38Ofk.jpg
66KB, 604x453px
Are you trolling, OP? You have a great bike, most of people I know would be happy to have it. One thing I would recommend tho is a drop bar
>>
>>977780
The thing is, I thought about getting a drop bar for it but I Googled what it would cost and people said it would cost up to $200 because I would have to replace things like the brake handles and stuff.

What about the tires? Will they be good for off-road riding? What about a Swedish winter?

>>977775
See question above.
>>
>>977781
>The thing is, I thought about getting a drop bar for it but I Googled what it would cost and people said it would cost up to $200 because I would have to replace things like the brake handles and stuff.
To add to this. I thought since the cost would be so high, that it would be more profitable to sell the bike, and use that money (and addition money) to buy a newer bike. A cyclocross.
>>
>>977690
Mtb fag/mechanic fag reporting
OP has confused mtb and gravel bikes. Comfort is more determined by saddle/bar combo than overall posture.
>>
>>977781
Have you considered a bull horn bar? Not familiar with your setup but possibly such a bar exists.

>not getting a 780mm carbon mtb bar
>>
>>977781
1/2-1/3 what you payed new? If you don't ride in summer i don't see why you're thinking about riding in winter. But yes, it would be good for riding in winter, or on light trails, because it has room for wider tires. That is the limiting factor. The tires on it say quite clearly- all condition- but if you wanted to put 32c cyclocross tires or 32c studded snow tires you could.

Let's just cut the bullshit, you don't want it because it's lame. Hybrids are lame. I agree. However you have a very very decent one. You should just quit being a prima donna and ride it.
>>
>>977784
>Have you considered a bull horn bar?
I have, but I decided that I'd rather have a drop bar.
>OP has confused mtb and gravel bikes.
Just googled gravel bikes, and they look an awful lot like cyclecross. What's the difference?
>>
>>977786
>1/2-1/3 what you payed new?
So I could get around $300 for it? Paid $600 new. This was 6 years ago however.
>But yes, it would be good for riding in winter, or on light trails, because it has room for wider tires. That is the limiting factor. The tires on it say quite clearly- all condition- but if you wanted to put 32c cyclocross tires or 32c studded snow tires you could.
So if I put rougher tires on it, and a drop bar, it's essentially equivalent to a cyclecross?
>Let's just cut the bullshit, you don't want it because it's lame. Hybrids are lame. I agree. However you have a very very decent one. You should just quit being a prima donna and ride it.
I might if you can confirm the previous comment.
>>
>>977787
Second comment meant for >>977783
>>
>>977791
This is a matter of semantics.
>>
>>977791
>So if I put rougher tires on it, and a drop bar, it's essentially equivalent to a cyclecross?
No. And flatbar bikes are not convertible to drop bars. They're too long to accept drop bars. Bar type is not something you just change willy nilly, like tyres.
Imagine the bike was suddenly half a foot longer. Would it feel strange to ride? That's exatcly what happens with drop bars.
>>
>>977799
So I basically need to get myself a cyclocross.

http://www.konaworld.com/rove_al.cfm

Been having my eyes fixed on that one for a while now. Do you reckon it would be good for all-season, most-terrain?
>>
>>977781
Depends on which end of sweden. I wouldn't ride skinny slicks in the winter in norrland. I got myself a fatbike because the 35mm studded Hakkapelliitas i was using did not feel enough when the roads aren't newly plowed.
>>
>>977802
I live in småland, in a fairly large city, so plowed roads shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not too sure about my hybrid anymore though. It feels like I should get a cyclocross.
>>
>>977800
>Claris

But yeah, put some proper full fenders on it and you'll be able to ride most places a bicycle is meant to go.
Until the components start acting up and you're too incompetent to fix them so soon you just give up and it will have the same fate as your other bike.
>>
>>977805
Do you even have winters down there?

I don't have any authority to tell you what to do, but if i did i wouldn't let you get a cx until you've earned the right by going out and riding the fuck out of the perfectly decent bike you have.
>>
>>977809
>Do you even have winters down there?
Yeah, we do. Got a lot of snow last year.
>I don't have any authority to tell you what to do, but if i did i wouldn't let you get a cx until you've earned the right by going out and riding the fuck out of the perfectly decent bike you have.
So I should force myself to ride something which I feel doesn't fit (not size), because I made the mistake of purchasing the wrong bike to begin with? That's hardly fair.
>>977806
>Until the components start acting up and you're too incompetent to fix them so soon you just give up and it will have the same fate as your other bike
Very friendly attitude. Appreciate it.
>>
>>977811
>So I should force myself to ride something which I feel doesn't fit (not size)
Unless you can give a clear motivation why you feel it doesn't fit, then yes. Otherwise i'm going to assume you just have a case of "greener grass" syndrome and getting a new bike won't actually help anything.
But whatever. You do as you please.
>>
File: DSC_3574(2).jpg (1MB, 2215x1340px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3574(2).jpg
1MB, 2215x1340px
>>977700
You can certainly ride OP's bike in snow, in a forest, and on gravel paths. Some different tyres would help but it's doable.

>>977774
>The position of the handlebar is not uncomfortable when I lean over.
So then lean over. Maybe consider some bar ends of similar if you want so extra hand positions.

Isn't a cyclocross better though, for all-terrain riding than a hybrid like the one I posted in the OP? More durable parts, etc. I don't know. Help me out.
Well it would depend on the particular bike, some will be more durable whilst others will be similar. I doubt you're going to be doing anything on it that would damage it though. If you do then you can spend some money replacing those parts instead of getting a completely new bike.

I too have a flat bar road bike ("hybrid" is a very poor term) that I also take off road and it handles it well (for a fully rigid skinny tyre bike) and since adding the bar ends it's comfortable too.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.