[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buying Secondhand Bikes on eBay

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

Hello everyone, because I am a moron I am somewhat reluctantly contemplating buying a name-brand used carbon fiber road bike from eBay: I have enough money to buy a fairly upscale road bike (though not enough to buy one brand new, and Craigslist has proven fruitless for my area), however the dangers present with buying a used carbon fiber bike without a prior in-person inspection (and relying solely on images and the vendor's word) presents obvious and glaring problems.

Does anyone here have experience with doing this? Good and bad stories? Additionally, what should I look out for in terms of weaseling out deceit or verifying the legitimacy of a posting? I apologize if this is an inflammatory topic, but this is my first ever post on /n/, thanks
>>
Could you try translating that into something readable by removing all the grandiloquent language?
>>
>>972236
>/n/ - Retards
>>
>>972224
You'll get two kinds of responses and neither useful:
>It's fine, crabbon is goat, here's a video of potheads dropping weights on a mountain bike
>You'll die, used crabbon is assploded, here's a picture of a roadie looking surprised as his bars shatter for no reason
>>
>>972239
Clearly I mean look at that punctuation in the op!
>>
File: maxresdefault (4).jpg (198KB, 3000x1688px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (4).jpg
198KB, 3000x1688px
>>972239
>somewhat reluctantly contemplating
>fairly upscale
>has proven fruitless
>the vendor's word
>obvious and glaring
>weaseling out deceit or verifying the legitimacy of a posting
>I apologize
>>
>>972244
see
>>972239
>>
File: oDCku2OIub5lDuf7fCdTkg-wide.jpg (19KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
oDCku2OIub5lDuf7fCdTkg-wide.jpg
19KB, 300x400px
>>972259
*refer thyself
>>
File: 1391471233963.png (2MB, 1175x851px) Image search: [Google]
1391471233963.png
2MB, 1175x851px
>>972239

Well my friend, in this case, and I apologize in advance but.. I would highly advise you end your own existence.

Thanks.
>>
>>972224
>>972239

>Gimme advice plz
>Ur all retards

that's how you get help anon
>>
>>972356
>(you)
>>
File: lmao.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
lmao.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>972224
I bought a used carbon frame, no issues. Just ask seller for serial number, miles done on the bike, & any cracks, scratches, or chips.
>>
>>972224
It's hard to get a good deal on used ebay bikes because shipping is usually $100+.
>>
>>972409
isn't additional assembly required after unpacking, that most laymen cannot do?
>>
Lets take it as a given that you're not so much of a moron that CF is a bad idea for your ride in the first place.

Why ebay, instead of say an open mold cleanskin seller, or an OBM/ODM? Is the frame brand name that important?

Bicycles hard to ship for a casual seller.
>>
>>972356

>>972239 here
I think i may have helped ruin the thread for OP.
Oops. Sorry, opie.
The apparent illiteracy of some posters, and worse: their self-righteousness about this fact, just angered me.
>>
>>972464
most eBay sellers are casual sellers who are willing to pay for the service anyway; almost all bike shop offers the service of packaging and shipping a bike for at least $75, for which a seller charges the buyer with anyway. And a brand name is more important when the market is flooded with cheap Chinese knock-offs, and a seller who isn't selling fakes would be happy to provide a verifying serial number upon request
>>
>>972467
>The apparent illiteracy of some posters, and worse: their self-righteousness about this fact, just angered me.
what a scentance
>>
>>972467
Learn some grammar and syntax before you try to call others out on it.

t. /lit/
>>
>>972591
I am, and will be, learning throughout all my life.
I'd appreciate more specific criticism.

I will however not accept being too retarded to read a carefully formulated and well written post as a virtue.
>>
ive bought 2 carbon bikes online one was from ebay the second from pinkbike. the sellers sent them through bike shops idk what that costs. i just messaged the person on pinkbike and agreed on a price then sent them money in paypal and i got it in a week. they send you a bill with paypal, you then pay, then you get a paypal invoice. and the other one was from a bike shop that sold through ebay.
ask for pictures of the damages
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.