[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people get so mad at Grant when Shinola is the real enemy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 10

File: SHINOLA9.jpg (326KB, 2617x1633px) Image search: [Google]
SHINOLA9.jpg
326KB, 2617x1633px
Why do people get so mad at Grant when Shinola is the real enemy?
>>
>>970178
How is Shinola the real enemy? Shinola doesn't write books about shitty proud to be a hardcore casual shittier is better ideology.

Shinola makes watches, and they contract Waterford to make luxury branded bikes.
>>
>>970181
Shinola doesn't make watches any more than they make bikes

The brand was created by a rich guy who read a study that showed consumers would gladly pay a steep markup on anything stamped "made in Detroit"

So that's what he sells. He bought an abandoned factory to stamp "Detroit" on stuff
>>
>>970185
And how does that make them "the real enemy"? Since when have there been American made movements?
>>
File: RGM_MODEL_801P_B.jpg (331KB, 2000x1339px) Image search: [Google]
RGM_MODEL_801P_B.jpg
331KB, 2000x1339px
>>970197
You're the reason companies like Shinola get away with their bullshit
>>
>>970202
I don't buy Shinola, and Shinola is a niche brand that isn't one most people's radar. Especially not cyclists' radar. They market high-end city bikes to non-cyclists.
>>
>>970208
Kind of like rivendell, except with more of a markup

The reason rivendell is on your radar is that the blogosphere told you to hate it

Not because the GNC m8s posted a review
>>
>>970212
>>970202
>$4000 watches with ETA movements

>>970212
>Kind of like rivendell, except with more of a markup
Kind of not like rivendell because bikes are a side business.

>The reason rivendell is on your radar is that the blogosphere told you to hate it
Can you victim complex any harder? Maybe you belong in /pol/

>Not because the GNC m8s posted a review
I wasn't aware GNC reviewed Shinolas.

Grant Petersen is a shit head that is actively involved in shitting up the bicycle industry and the world of cycling with his edgy contrarianism that hipsters like you flock to. Maybe you can claim Shinola does the same for watches, but I don't give a fuck. This isn't watchuseek. This is /n/. Shinola isn't actively engaged in shitting up bicycles. They're just selling quality luxury bicycles with frames actually made in the USA by a high-end frame-maker to non-cyclists.

>blogosphere told you to hate it
What the fuck does blogosphere have to do with anything, bloggers suck his cock anyways.
>>
Peterson has a too-self-aware sort of MGTOW-style bike vibe. Pushing for "practicality" -- half the products on their site are like "it's good enough, what are you a faggot?"

He runs the business not to make a profit (apparently) but to keep people employed

But that makes little sense when you consider expanding your brand would employ more people, but umm.. I'll give him a pass there

But what makes no sense is pushing Altus rear derailleurs and canti brakes on $3,000 bikes because they are "good enough" ---- but for some reason you need to invest $2,000 in a handmade bicycle frame that isn't custom fit

It makes no sense. Chasing trends sucks. I agree with them on square taper, 8/9 speed friction, bar end shitters

And they were right about fat tires, a long time before everyone else was

The problem is the advanced self-aware branding that a new cyclist with too much money won't pick up on

Their frames are probably awesome. I'm sure of it.

So it all comes down to a complete neutral opinion speckled with several very annoying experiences following the "advice" they have on their site
>>
>>970216
>bikes are a side business.
The entire business is a "side business", what they're selling is "Detroit", period, end of story. I don't know why you keep bringing up watches
>Maybe you belong in /pol/
Maybe you belong on /o/
>I wasn't aware GNC reviewed Shinolas.
They didn't, that's the point, idiot
>actively involved in shitting up the bicycle industry
By telling people who aren't obsessed with KOMs that it's ok to ride a bike, that there's a middle ground between being a fredster on a carbon bike with electronic shifting, and doing the duck waddle with inverted drop bars and the seatpost all the way down? I don't buy into the idea that old = good, but there's a difference between promoting cycling as something people can and should do every day, and literally selling falsehoods
>They're just selling quality luxury bicycles with frames actually made in the USA by a high-end frame-maker to non-cyclists.
Kind of like rivendell, except more of a markup. Why are you so mad?
>>
>>970220
>half the products on their site are like "it's good enough, what are you a faggot?"
Except more expensive than the other shit. And you're a faggot if you don't pay twice as much for something that works half as well.

>He runs the business not to make a profit (apparently) but to keep people employed
To keep himself employed after he could no longer find a job in the bike industry.

>Chasing trends sucks
>8/9 speed friction

>And they were right about fat tires, a long time before everyone else was
No he wasn't he was advocating really shitty fat tires like shitty cruiser tires, which he didn't invent. And fat slick tires still aren't useful for most enthusiasts. Most of the fattish tires on the market are off-road gravel tires. Not pave dirt tires. You're reading radavist too much if you don't realize this.

>Their frames are probably awesome. I'm sure of it.
They're basically lugged Surly. Or Surly is a low-end welded Riv.
>>
>>970222
I don't even think you're from /n/. You probably posted this thread on every board you think Shinola has stuck it's tentacles in. No one in the cycling world gives a shit about Shinola.

That or you're a faggot that drank the Riv kool-aid and are being a top tier victim and trying to deflect because somehow in your head using Shinola as a shield makes sense.
>>
>>970225
I think I understand why you're so mad now. You're mad because you realize now you should hate Shinola but you don't have anything to regurgitate from the blogosphere (see: "you're reading too much radavist") so it must be very frustrating for you to have to be faced with a person with an opinion, to which you have no pre-programmed counter-opinion. This is what "being a cyclist" means to you: having absorbed a bunch of second-hand opinions that you can angrily vomit at strangers who seem to be in the wrong tribe. Not actually riding.

You are basically sieg. Maybe you are sieg. Are you sieg?
>>
>>970222
>By telling people who aren't obsessed with KOMs that it's ok to ride a bike, that there's a middle ground between being a fredster on a carbon bike with electronic shifting, and doing the duck waddle with inverted drop bars and the seatpost all the way down? I don't buy into the idea that old = good, but there's a difference between promoting cycling as something people can and should do every day, and literally selling falsehoods
What Grant did was he made being a snob much more accessible to casual cyclists, by letting them pretend they were more hardcore than actual cyclists. The fact that you unironically think this proves me right.
>>
>>970230
>by letting them pretend they were more hardcore than actual cyclists
What? Literally nothing in my post, and nothing Grant has ever said, suggests anything of the sort. You are projecting your KOM-obsessed values on everything, it would be hilarious if it wasn't so destructive to the cycling community
>>
File: ok.jpg (20KB, 300x303px) Image search: [Google]
ok.jpg
20KB, 300x303px
>this thread
>>
>>970228
>You're mad because you realize now you should hate Shinola
I don't like Shinola. Disciples of the church of Shinola don't shit up /n/ on a regular basis. I barely have an opinion on Shinola, except that people who buy Shinola's aren't cyclists.

>you don't have anything to regurgitate from the blogosphere (see: "you're reading too much radavist")
I'm not involved in the blogosphere, and I have no idea what you're talking about. From what I can tell, blogs love the guy. There are barely any blogs about being a carbon fred. 9/10 when I run across a blog in a google search, it's usually the kind of person that would agree with Grant.

>so it must be very frustrating for you to have to be faced with a person with an opinion, to which you have no pre-programmed counter-opinion.
Is this seriously the best you can come up with? I'm sick of Grantfags because I drank his kool-aid once, and then I realized I spent hundreds of dollars on a bike for filthy casuals that I never use anymore. I disagree with most contrarian shit of his shit from personal experience. I used to be one of those edgy little faggots that sneered at "freds" and tried pass them and shit. Now I realize how retarded I was.

>This is what "being a cyclist" means to you: having absorbed a bunch of second-hand opinions that you can angrily vomit at strangers
The irony.

>who seem to be in the wrong tribe.
>tribe
Oh it's you nikki, fuck the back off to reddit
>>
>>970233
>You are projecting your KOM-obsessed values on everything, it would be hilarious if it wasn't so destructive to the cycling community
>You are projecting
>projecting
>You
>>
>>970240
>Disciples of the church of Shinola don't shit up /n/ on a regular basis
Neither do "disciples of the church of grant". Grant fans are like vegans: they may exist, but 99.9999% of posts about them, or their point of view, are not by them, but by people who can't handle the idea that someone exists who doesn't share their values
>I'm not involved in the blogosphere
Obviously not. You just absorb what it gives you, and use it to construct an identity since you lack an original one of your own
>nikki
No, sieg. I am not nikki. I'm too asian to be accepted by nikki, and I use disc brakes and clipless pedals, neither of which are acceptable to him.
>>
>>970246
It's obvious you're nikki by the fact that you're so fucking oblivious about yourself and you keep projecting and assuming things about whoever you respond to in order to strawman.
>>
>>970248
It's obvious you are sieg from the fact that you're unable to sound intelligent on any subject without regurgitating something you found written by someone else on the internet
>>
>>970250
Nikki pls. Project harder.
>>
File: IMG_20160610_081524211.jpg (952KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160610_081524211.jpg
952KB, 2592x1944px
>>970178
People get mad at Grant because they know his name. Who know Mr. Shinola's name?
>>
File: golly.jpg (66KB, 676x427px) Image search: [Google]
golly.jpg
66KB, 676x427px
>>970284
>Who know Mr. Shinola's name?
Shinola was actually a well-known brand name in the recent past, and the expression "doesn't know shit from Shinola" is derived from it.
>>
Who are these entities and why should i be angry at either of them?
>>
>>970178
I woudn't even buy a Shinola, not the type of bike I'm interested in at all, but why would you even make an issue out of this? You don't like their bikes, don't own one. Guys like you sound like you don't have anything better to do with your time than to create conflicts and intrigue out of whole-cloth. Sad, really. Please go find a life, okay?
>>
>>970234
gotta samefag this
>>
>>970224

>>Chasing trends sucks
>>8/9 speed friction

Well... I like that trend then

>No he wasn't he was advocating really shitty fat tires like shitty cruiser tires, which he didn't invent. And fat slick tires still aren't useful for most enthusiasts.

to be fair then did turn out their own Rolly Polly / Jack Brown / Ruffy Tuffy tires AND 650b before Soma / Velo orange / Compass were doing it

That's my story and I'm sticking to it
>>
>>970230
>What Grant did was he made being a snob much more accessible to casual cyclists

lol. That's a good way to put it

How would you describe: VO, Salsa, Surly, Compass, Soma
>>
>>970230
>>970375
>being a snob
That's a funny way to describe "having stuff that doesn't suck"

What grant promotes is the idea that cycling isn't exclusive to poor people and wannabe racers

Unsurprisingly, this message enrages both poor people and wannabe racers
>>
>>970376
>a person who believes that their tastes in a particular area are superior to those of other people
Just because you project that other cyclists are snobs, and you hate them because you're too autistic to talk to one, and just assume they're a snob, and act snobbish about them supposedly being snobs, does not make you not a snob.

You're just being snobbish about not being a caricature of a specific kind of snob.
>>
>>970382
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>970387
A dictionary.
>>
>>970376
>That's a funny way to describe "having stuff that doesn't suck"

But Altus RDs and canti brakes do suck (?)
>>
>>970392
Not if you spend $3000 on them
>>
>>970392
I don't agree with everything grant says, but the funny thing about obsolete tech is that you'll hear both crabbon roadies and grant fanbois defending it

The difference is that grant fanbois are more likely to commute by bike, and eventually figure out that discs are better

Whereas crabbon roadies will defend rim brakes to the grave, because they wouldn't be caught dead using a bicycle for anything actually useful, like transportation
>>
>>970397
>The difference is that grant fanbois are more likely to commute by bike
>biking 4 blocks from the dorms to class is commuting
Good one. I'll let you know next time I see a Riv parked up on a rack. I know I've seen a few road bikes.
>>
>>970397
Some crabbon roadies don't want discs, others don't. What they do want is the right tool for the job. For some that job is racing. For others, the job is enjoying cycling for the sake of cycling.

They have different priorities, and unlike you, they generally don't include being poor and commuting in the rain on their only bike who only ride because it's "useful" and you're too poor to afford other means of "transportation"

You do realize some people actually like cycling, right?
>>
>>970403
>if you ride when it's not a sunny dry Saturday afternoon you're poor
This is exactly what I mean by crabbon roadies getting ass blasted over grant's message

As far as I'm concerned if you don't ride as much as humanly possible, including rain, you hate bikes
>>
File: pissed-off.jpg (67KB, 480x300px) Image search: [Google]
pissed-off.jpg
67KB, 480x300px
>>970397
>The difference is that grant fanbois are more likely to commute by bike, and eventually figure out that discs are better

Wow. For real?

Can we start a new movement? Neo-retrogrouch

The reality is that V-brakes, 8/9 speed, aluminum frames, steel forks, and fat tires is the ideal bicycle

acceptable vintage:
> friction shift
> leather saddles
> 26"

acceptable modernity:
> 1x
> lizardskins
> 29er
> STI

Anything else is PLEB

Fuck ALL OF YOU
>>
>>970401
>if you commute by bike you park your bike outside
Not everyone works at Subway, anon

Most decent companies have a place to safely keep a bike indoors, in a protected area
>>
>>970403
>You do realize some people actually like cycling, right?
that's not allowed on neo-/n/

>>970392
Cantis are fine for touring and CX. Altus RDs are junk and it's dumb that Grant says that they're great because big pulleys.

>>970429
that kinda sounds like what Jan Heine is pitching except for the aluminium frames, and kinda what Rivendell did with the Appaloosa, which I kinda like except for the weird choco-moose bars that Grant came up with (don't seem as versatile as jones loop), and the fact that at $2400 complete it should have better running gear than fucking Altus + Sunrace friction thumbies. Deore SLX at least. But, I guess that's an artifact of Grant not being the best in the world at business administration and not being able to squeeze suppliers on margin because he isn't big enough to do so.

>>970240
>There are barely any blogs about being a carbon fred.
That's because all of the major cycling sites and mags cover that niche, making it kinda pointless to blog about it, except for Cyclingtips carrying the campy garbonfred torch.

The retrogrouch blogosphere is pretty small, too. Beyond lovelybike, bsnyc (which is less retrogrouchy than it is just grouchy and increasingly activist, but not as fucking dead and humorless as fucking bikeportland), and off the beaten path, there isn't much.
>>
>>970415
You only ride bikes because you have to though.

>>970433
Why would they commute on a Riv shitsmobile then? 99% of the reason to ride a rivshit over a road bike is not being able to change clothes and having durability for locking up outside.
>>
>>970482
>muh blogosphere hates grant
>muh major cycling publication give two shits about grant
Stay delusional.
>>
>>970486
Whatever are you blathering about?
>>
>>970485
If by "have to" you mean I get extremely depressed from lack of physical activity, yes. I hate not riding. I actually prefer grey skies and a little drizzle because it keeps me cool and comfy. My favorite time to ride is late fall through early spring. I'm kind of the opposite of you in that way.

And I don't commute on a rivendell, I commute on a mass market cross bike, with modern brifters and discs and clipless. The only wool I have is my socks. I actually wear lycra, yes. Not team kit, but still, lycra. I'm not grant, I'm not here to speak for him, I don't really think much of his advocacy is directed at people like me, but I'm ok with him and ok with his message, which is that it's ok to ride for reasons other than cosplaying as team movistar when it's sunny and mild out, or getting a DUI
>>
File: ahh shit.png (675KB, 607x615px) Image search: [Google]
ahh shit.png
675KB, 607x615px
>this fucking bread
>>
>>970492
>it's ok to ride for reasons other than cosplaying as team movistar when it's sunny and mild out, or getting a DUI

You need someone to tell you that? A huge chunk of his message includes shitting on roadies. In fact, you can send that same message without trying to shit over roadies and claiming they're doing it wrong.

The reason why Grant is such a dick is because he's bitter about losing his job in the bike industry. He blames bicycle evil elitist racer publications for panning the XO series because he can't comprehend why people don't like mustache bars. He thinks his opinion is right and everyone else is wrong.

No one would give a shit if his message was you can bike for fun and not be a roadie in a non-elitist way. That's not why people hate Grant. People hate him because he created a counter-elitism that involves shitting all over other cyclists and insisting that everyone else is wrong. He's not just saying there's another way that can co-exist. He's acts as if his way is the right way and other people are wrong.
>>
>>970492
>assuming the carbbon freddite only has one bike
They have a rainbike you faggot because they can afford to have a sunny dry fairweather recreational bike in addition to your shit beater.
>>
>>970506
>you can send that same message without trying to shit over roadies
Sure, kind of like how, in theory, a pro-roadie type can send the message that being a roadie is ok. But that's theory and then there's fact. The fact is, roadies are a very hostile, elitist group. This hostility comes from living in a culture in which cycling for any reason at all is perceived as a thing for children and the very poor. To the average roadie, being on a bike - any bike at all - is inherently shameful, and the only way they know how to deal with it is to broadcast their hobby status by riding the most impractical bike humanly possible, and attacking anyone who has, say, rack lugs or panniers or fenders or (gasp) steel, as being a "shitter casual" (a phrase that comes up in almost any discussion of bikes as transport). In this way, they feel they can minimize the "risk" that someone might think they are riding a bike to get somewhere, to carry groceries, or some other non-racing purpose - which in this culture is basically a sort of criminal act, like being a pedestrian.

So this is a very useful kind of counter-elitism because, to anyone not like me - that is, anyone who isn't already pro-cycling - it shows them the insanity of the whole situation. That anyone should be ashamed to ride a bike to get somewhere, or that they should prefer a bike over a cage for going to work, is completely insane. And yet, here we are, with people screaming "shitter casual" at me and insinuating that I lost my license or that I can't afford a cage (let's not even get into the twisted elitism from people that think owning a cage is some amazing accomplishment in a world where a shitbox can be had for much less than a decent commuter bike)
>>
>>970522
no no no, you're a casual shitter, not a shitter casual.
>>
>>970522
>But that's theory and then there's fact. The fact is, roadies are a very hostile, elitist group. This hostility comes from living in a culture in which cycling for any reason at all is perceived as a thing for children and the very poor. To the average roadie, being on a bike - any bike at all - is inherently shameful, and the only way they know how to deal with it is to broadcast their hobby status by riding the most impractical bike humanly possible, and attacking anyone who has, say, rack lugs or panniers or fenders or (gasp) steel, as being a "shitter casual" (a phrase that comes up in almost any discussion of bikes as transport). In this way, they feel they can minimize the "risk" that someone might think they are riding a bike to get somewhere, to carry groceries, or some other non-racing purpose - which in this culture is basically a sort of criminal act, like being a pedestrian.
>all that projecting
This is why roadies hate rivfags. They seriously can not shut up about making up ridiculous caricature stereotypes of roadies and are so deluded that they don't even realize how hard they are projecting. Chances are you learned about evil roadies from talking to rivfags and you've never once talked to an actual roadie except picking fights with them on the internet on for counter-elitism crusade against strawmen.

>And yet, here we are, with people screaming "shitter casual" at me and insinuating that I lost my license or that I can't afford a cage
Protip, they're making fun of you.
>>
>>970541
>Protip, they're making fun of you.
Wow, who would have guessed that an elitist crabbon roadie would be making fun of someone who rides for reasons other than pretending to be quintana
>This is why roadies hate rivfags
But I'm not a "rivfag" and I have never spoken with anyone who owns a rivendell bike in my life. What I have seen is a lot of hostile roadies who think if you don't regularly update data from your stages brand power meter to prove you went for an actual ride this weekend, and if you don't think e-doping is awesome and if you don't wear a color-coordinated outfit from rapha at all times, you might as well be riding a gaspipe fixie to your job at mcdonalds
>>
>>970506
>No one would give a shit if his message was you can bike for fun and not be a roadie in a non-elitist way.
That's what his message is, though. For some reason you see it as a personal attack. It's really bizarre, like some kind of paranoid narcissism.
>>
>>970573
>its 4chan
Get a grip.

>What I have seen is a lot of hostile roadies who think if you don't regularly update data from your stages brand power meter to prove you went for an actual ride this weekend, and if you don't think e-doping is awesome and if you don't wear a color-coordinated outfit from rapha at all times, you might as well be riding a gaspipe fixie to your job at mcdonalds
Sure bud. I'm sure it makes you feel better to make up reasons to hate kikes too.

>>970608
No it isn't. And you're not very familiar with Grant or his writing if you think so.
>>
>>970614
I actually know the dude, and his opinion has been pretty consistent throughout the years. Cycling is fun, and you don't need a 15lb $10,000 air-cutting weapon or a full-sus DH monster to have fun riding a bike. He doesn't hate carbon racing bikes, he just doesn't think that they're useful to him, and Rivendell reflects what his interests are (and barely stays afloat because of it). He has his opinions, but he doesn't think that you're dumb for disagreeing. I'm sorry that you've been hurt by his opinions, but your sustained anger is really weird and sad.

Anyway, back in the day, he was operating in a cycling culture that only valued racing bikes, which is still true to a large extent in the US. That more practical bikes are now a barely-viable niche is because he and others were relentless in advocating for them.
>>
>>970641
>literally makes up strawmen
>giving credit where credit is undue
>>
>>970646
Do you have fun cycling?
>>
>>970641
>The fact is, roadies are a very hostile, elitist group. This hostility comes from living in a culture in which cycling for any reason at all is perceived as a thing for children and the very poor. To the average roadie, being on a bike - any bike at all - is inherently shameful, and the only way they know how to deal with it is to broadcast their hobby status by riding the most impractical bike humanly possible, and attacking anyone who has, say, rack lugs or panniers or fenders or (gasp) steel, as being a "shitter casual" (a phrase that comes up in almost any discussion of bikes as transport). In this way, they feel they can minimize the "risk" that someone might think they are riding a bike to get somewhere, to carry groceries, or some other non-racing purpose - which in this culture is basically a sort of criminal act, like being a pedestrian.
>Whereas crabbon roadies will defend rim brakes to the grave, because they wouldn't be caught dead using a bicycle for anything actually useful, like transportation
>What I have seen is a lot of hostile roadies who think if you don't regularly update data from your stages brand power meter to prove you went for an actual ride this weekend, and if you don't think e-doping is awesome and if you don't wear a color-coordinated outfit from rapha at all times, you might as well be riding a gaspipe fixie to your job at mcdonalds
>Cycling is fun, and you don't need a 15lb $10,000 air-cutting weapon or a full-sus DH monster to have fun riding a bike.
>but 99.9999% of posts about them, or their point of view, are not by them, but by people who can't handle the idea that someone exists who doesn't share their values
>This is what "being a cyclist" means to you: having absorbed a bunch of second-hand opinions that you can angrily vomit at strangers who seem to be in the wrong tribe. Not actually riding.
toppest kek nikki
>>
If you ride in lycra, you are a faggot. Fast or slow, faggot. You are pretending to be lance armstrong in your mind. "But I want to go faster, it's good exercise" strap a 10lb weight to your bike if you want exercise, faggot. Bitch. Pussy. Spandex beta bitch
>>
>>970696
>current yeah
>hating gays
god to bed mateen
>>
>>970696
>not wanting to go fast

might as well ride in front of a truck desu
>>
>>970648
The guy you're angry at, nikki, and me, are 3 different people. You can tell because of the distinct opinions and writing styles. Nikki hasn't even posted here in months. But I shouldn't be surprised that a paranoid, angry roadie thinks everyone is out to get him. You probably think we're all grant, too.
>>970696
Bike-specific clothes aren't strictly speaking for speed, they are really preferred for comfort. They make aero-oriented apparel but only the crabbon roadies wear it, mostly for looks. Crabbon roadies think they and they alone are permitted to own bike-specific gear though, so they'll scream at anyone who isn't wearing full color-coordinated team kit because they're a "shitter casual" who should just wear sweat pants and running shoes.
>>
this thread is dogshit and cringey
both of you fags should fuck right off
>>
>>970701
But those are all you nikki
>>
>1 inch steerers

Fucking why. I can sorta kinda understand rim brakes (not really), but what's the point of pushing a dead technology with no advantages?
>>
I commute on a 1990 Schwinn frontier I got at a yardsale for $30. How much of a filthy casual am I?
>>
>>970704
This. Fuck this cringe ass thread
>>
File: 17498325-lg.jpg (327KB, 800x573px) Image search: [Google]
17498325-lg.jpg
327KB, 800x573px
>>970714
>>1 inch steerers
>Fucking why.

It's hard to argue that the threadless stack is more aesthetic than the quill. the quill is beautiful, but without knowing your exact fit it is a monster bitch to build a bike with.

Still, quill. It's a beautiful think imho

Back when I first got into biking I hated how modern stems looked and refused to upgrade from my 80s nishiki
>>
>>970697
>>current yeah
>>hating gays
>god to bed mateen
>>
>>970714
It looks slightly better on a lugged steel bike with narrow tubes.
>>
File: name-graphics-nikki-368350.gif (207KB, 379x365px) Image search: [Google]
name-graphics-nikki-368350.gif
207KB, 379x365px
>this thread brought to you by
>>
>>970751
Countered by the fact that threaded headsets are ugly.
>>
>>970752
Did a gay steal your boyfriend? How does it feel to be cuckolded by a gay man?
>>
Trainfag here, from reading through all this what I can tell is that one guy used to be a Grant bike fan, decided it wasn't cool, and is overcompensating harder than an ex-weeaboo

Also cyclists are a really angry bunch
>>
>>970860
>Trainfag here
OP detected
>>
>>970648
That can't be anyone but Nikki
>>
Planefag here, from what I can tell op is poor, slow, and greek
>>
>>970178
Shinola is just a marketing brand that puts China goods on Nordstrom shelves.

How are they considered high end whatsoever ?
>>
/n/ever change /n/
>>
I actually saw a guy with a shinola watch
It looked like a timex but I'm sure he paid about 20x what a timex costs
>>
>>970185
I don't know if there are laws saying a company can or cannot lie about the city, but there are federal laws making it illegal to stamp any product as being made in US without being 80% made in US. No matter where on the map they stamp it. If a factory near his is making the products, then it's not lying.
>>
>>973343
>80%
Where's that number from and 80% of what?

For most goods more complex than pulling a carrot out of the dirt, it's complicated to come up with a meaningful definition of value added, and pretty easy to assign arbitrary figures to the "making" processes. When (as is the case here) there's a strong incentive to come up with numbers first and do the analysis later, the label means basically nothing and you can assume it's mostly just a stamping operation.
>>
>>973359
80% of materials and labor put into the production of any product must take place in the US for it to legally have a Made in the USA label. Our federal government is very hard on that number. If they cannot provide proof of where every part is made, and it better be where they say it is, they will be ripped to shreds. Even car manufacturers have to keep record and proof of where every small part of each car comes from to prove if it gets the Made in the USA label. None of them do because more than 20% of the parts come in from out of country. The car can be assembled here and get a VIN for the US, but cannot say Made in US. That law is very tough.
>>
>>973343
>>974245
you just think this. it's not actually true.
>>
>>974987
You should really try looking it up. Because to make that labeling claim for something sold in the US, it is true. It is enforced by the FTC. Since 1994, cars are required to not only state where it was assembled, but what percentage of the car came from other countries.
>>
>>975003
For cars maybe. Keep in mind the cage industry was literally kept alive by Obama. The USA is highly interested in preventing it from dying off
>>
>>970887
Why does so much of your brain get taken up with trying to classify everything into "high end" and "not high end"
>>
>>975007
/o/ would tell you obama is destroying car culture.
>>
>>970202

This.

Btw Im from Lancaster county and thats insane.
>>
>>970216
But that's not an ETA movement
>>
>>970185
I don't know shit about these people, or "artisinal" bikes, but as somebody who lives in the Detroit Metro area i'm extremely happy to see any small business, hipster or not give Detroit a shot.

Manufacturing and office space is abundant, and cheap as fuck. While the city is a barren shithole it has a great deal of potential... I'd love to see it fully realized.
>>
>>979286
It's hardly hipster, it was started by the fossil watch guy
>>
>promoting reliable comfy bikes
>bad
>>
>>979195
Their $4,000 watches have ETA movements. It's $10,000-$20,000 for a RGM movement.
>>
>>979494
The question was whether there are American made movements, not whether literally all of RGM's product line appeals to you personally
>>
>>982554
>defending a company that charges $4000 for etas
>>
>>982555
I don't actually like RGM watches, they're ugly and have old man aesthetic
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.