[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do retards that cycle without a helmet deserve what they get?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 35

File: helmet.jpg (76KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
helmet.jpg
76KB, 333x500px
Do retards that cycle without a helmet deserve what they get?
>>
ill give her wut she deserves
>>
You know, here, in my country, if you don't wear a helmet and cause an accident, no matter if it was your fault or not, your anus gets stretched to the moon and back by your Insurance. I really hope for the people who don't wear a helmet that they got enough money to cover all the stupid expenses they get excluded from, and yes, this is totally legal
>>
>>967299
Good. People that don't wear helmets are idiots.
>>
File: fashyon.jpg (31KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
fashyon.jpg
31KB, 620x350px
>>967302
B-but muh fashion
>>
>>967305
B-but Senpai, she went out l-looking c-c-cool
>>
File: sign.webm (1MB, 1280x654px) Image search: [Google]
sign.webm
1MB, 1280x654px
>>967308
This guy did too.
>>
File: ffffashyon.jpg (218KB, 500x668px) Image search: [Google]
ffffashyon.jpg
218KB, 500x668px
>>967308
>>
>>967309
Ohoho SHIT!

GET
E
T

REKT
E
K
T
>>
File: puddle.webm (1MB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
puddle.webm
1MB, 960x720px
>>967312
I can't wait to see someone do something like this in real life then ride past them wearing my /n/ jersey. If/when this happens I hope they read the text on my jersey.
>>
File: fashion.jpg (316KB, 996x504px) Image search: [Google]
fashion.jpg
316KB, 996x504px
>>967311
>>
Here's something extra: why not use knee and elbow pads, as well?
>>
>>967316
im just trying to keep my amygdala from decorating the pavement, not trying to look like a fucking retard
>>
>>967292
I cycle without a helmet.

Enjoy looking like a yard on a steel road bike and an anime waifu jersey

Or worse

Faggots on steel bikes wearing street clothes looking like a hobo
>>
File: retard.jpg (157KB, 1300x925px) Image search: [Google]
retard.jpg
157KB, 1300x925px
>>967316
>>
File: fail.jpg (105KB, 550x458px) Image search: [Google]
fail.jpg
105KB, 550x458px
>>967315
>hfw he crashes
>>967316
Because knee and elbow injuries are much less significant than head injuries. I am okay with putting my knees and elbows at risks. I am not okay with putting my head at risk. I always wear a helmet when I bike. I wear knee pads when I ride dh/enduro.
>>967320
I ride my steel Japanese OTS while wearing a helmet and an /n/ jersey. Problem?
>>
File: fail2.jpg (284KB, 1000x669px) Image search: [Google]
fail2.jpg
284KB, 1000x669px
>>967322
>wearing jeans while cycling
>wearing jeans ever
What a faggot.
>>
File: joe_breeze.jpg (33KB, 300x440px) Image search: [Google]
joe_breeze.jpg
33KB, 300x440px
>>967324
Joe Breeze, Tom Ritchey, Gary Fisher, etc would all like to have a word with you
>>
File: ClimbToRepack.jpg (322KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
ClimbToRepack.jpg
322KB, 600x400px
>>967339
>>
>>967292
I wear jeans and a white t-shirt with no helmet because wearing a helmet is a pain, i bike for fun as well as to commute and i enjoy the wind in my hair.
>>
>>967341
Mmmm, look at that firm bum
>>
>>967344
Confirmed faggot
>>
I used to wear jeans when i got my first hiten steel roadbike and i regret it, because i just ruined it. I just switched to specialsnowflakepants made for cylcing
>>
>>967355
How did you ruin it by wearing jeans?
>>
>>967357
I ruined the jeans, probably because a roadbikesaddle wasn't made to be ridden by a jeans which naturally just rubs itself to death on it
>>
funny how in the rest of the civilised world, people dont wear helmets and everybody lives happily ever after

must be an amerilard thing
>>
>>967305
She got her head run over by a vehicle. Notice the bloody skid marks? You're a fucking retard and deserve to get raped in a dark alley in front of your children for posting this. Fuck off and die.
>>
>>967309
I'll bite on this one. And helmet would have definately helped. Now, tell me, how many cyclist die every year by crashing into objects? How many die after being hit by cars? Now think if a fucking magic hat will help you when you get hit by a car. People like you are the reason why almost everyone fucking hates vegans. And namefags.

I hope you find a huge chunk of bacon next time you order some shitty food in one of your vegan faggot restaurants.
>>
I always wear a helmet cause law but its idiotic not too imo. Sure it does feel good to ride without one, but i think its only good in countries that are bike tolerant and only on upright bikes
>>
>>967369
Straya and NZ too, unfortunately.
>>
>>967383
You're under 18?

There are no helmet laws over 18
>>
>>967422
usa is not the only country in the world m8
>>
>>967424
Only one that matters....
>>
>>967422
A u s

Are you the guy from /fa/
>>
>>967425
post bikes or gtfo
>>
>>967369
murricans are so fat they can't balance on a bike so they keep falling over
>>
Do people who don't brush lose their teeth?
>>
>>967478
Only if they eat a shit diet.
>>
What do they get, comfortable ride and never anything bad happening to them?
>>
>>967292
1. If they are of the age of majority then it's their decision whether to ride with or without a helmet.
2. The above being said: Anything can happen at any time, and human heads are delicate, wearing a helmet is a reasonable precaution and I think you're being dumb for not doing it.
3. </thread>
>>
>>967501
>B-but the wind in muh hair
>>
>>967292
>Do retards that cycle without a helmet deserve what they get?
yes
>>
Helmet-nazis make me wish the damn things were never invented.

Internet angst is one thing, but I work with people who are passionately, breathlessly 'must always wear helmet' zealots and god help you if you disagree with them, because you'll never, ever hear the end of it.

For the record, I wear a helmet whenever I bike offroad, or at any kind of group riding event, because the risk of crashing and hitting your head goes way up in those situations. Similarly I would wear a chest protector, knee pads, etc. if I were to get into downhill mountain biking. But I don't wear a helmet when I ride to the grocery store, the risk of crashing even in a way that doesn't lead to head trauma is immeasurably low, so I use less safety gear.

And that's rational, is it not? In literally every other area of life we choose our clothing and kit to match the situation and perceived risk of a given activity, it's totally frustrating that cycling is treated as some kind of exceptional category where the rules of logic don't apply.
>>
>>967512
Just wear a helmet...
>>
>>967548
No

In 5 years it's going to be you have to wear cycling cleats and a bib to go to the corner store or its "not safe"

You assholes just want to roleplay SRS athlete on your sora-tiagra bike shop assembled shit 18 pound shit mobiles
>>
>>967552
Just...just wear one.
>>
File: bob_saget_is_gangsta.jpg (29KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
bob_saget_is_gangsta.jpg
29KB, 500x500px
>>967501
>2. The above being said: Anything can happen at any time, and human heads are delicate, wearing a helmet is a reasonable precaution and I think you're being dumb for not doing it.
Why limit is to cycling tho? The risk of headinjury is greater per unit of distance traveled for pedestrians than it is for cyclists. Wear your walking helmet. (You) can never be too safe.
Don't forget your motoring helmet. And you baby helmet. Try to sit down before you temporately take off your showering helmet to wash your hair. Remain seated until the showering helmet is again securely fastened.
>>
>>967555
Safety seats with a seat belt need to be installed in every shower.
>>
>>967552
It's a helmet, the car equivalent to a seat belt. I don't give a shit if you decorate the street by the corner store with your frontal lobe, but comparing wearing a helmet to a bib is disingenuous.

Thats like comparing a driver who wears a seatbelt to one who wears driving gloves and a NASCAR outfit. Use your fucking brain (while you still have one safely tucked in your melon)
>>
File: awful.jpg (109KB, 500x377px) Image search: [Google]
awful.jpg
109KB, 500x377px
Any accident I'm going to get into will either have me so fucking splattered that a helmet couldn't hope to save me, or so minor that a helmet might actually hurt me. (Either getting me into that situation in the first place, or helping twist my fragile little neck.)
>>
>>967558
>It's a helmet, the car equivalent to a seat belt.
No, the car equivalent of a helmet is still a helmet. There have been efforts to launch such products for general use, don't you know? Motorist head injuries are both more prevalent and more preventable than cyclist head injuries.
Cyclists are not at great risk of head injury. They are at great risk of most other forms of injury, but head injury is less common than for a vast array of other every day activities for which we don't have a loud helmet propaganda minority.
>>
>>967564
>The car equivalent of a helmet is a helmet

>Being this facetious

My apologies, I didn't realize you were retarded.
>>
>>967563
It's actually good if you all don't wear helmets. Natural selection will ensure all you fashionable millennials wont breed and humanity will profit.
>>
File: lancearmstrong.jpg (42KB, 250x398px) Image search: [Google]
lancearmstrong.jpg
42KB, 250x398px
I didn't die!

Again!

Weird!
>>
>>967568

Brain surgeon: There's no point wearing bicycle helmets

>A British brain surgeon says cycle helmets are too flimsy and can actually create more danger by creating the illusion of greater safety.

http://www.cnet.com/news/brain-surgeon-theres-no-point-wearing-cycle-helmets/
>>
>>967574
>cnet
lolk
>>
File: pantani_cropped1.jpg (95KB, 620x539px) Image search: [Google]
pantani_cropped1.jpg
95KB, 620x539px
>>967574

The whole helmet thing boils down to people who want to look smart and respectable VS people who want to feel comfy and don't mind some risk

Obviously a helmet is safer IF your riding style does not change at all. But the average cyclist slaps on a helmet and pretends it will prevent a spinal cord injury and then rides off like a retard.

I ride helmet-less, on century rides through suburban PA / NJ. I ride like EVERYONE is trying to kill me, and I guarantee I'm a safer rider than most of you. I will go 30 minutes of my way to avoid getting in the shoulder of a 4 lane split road, even for a half mile

> Head injuries going up with increased helmet usage. Between 1991 and 2001 two things happened: helmet use among cyclists soared, and head injuries soared along with it. Head injuries among cyclists went up by 10% on a simple basis, but when we factor in the dramatic decrease in the number of cyclists during that period, head injuries effectively went up by 51%. (New York Times, 2001) Incidentally, from this we can figure that there was a 27% reduction in cycling. (e.g., 1000 injuries + 10% = 1100 injuries; 1100 injuries ÷ 1.51 = 728 injuries; 1000 to 728 is a ~27% reduction.)

http://bicycleuniverse.info/transpo/almanac-safety.html

>Chris Boardman: "Helmets not even in top 10 of things that keep cycling safe"
>British Cycling policy advisor says it's time to stop distracting helmet arguments and concentrate on real safety issues...

http://road.cc/content/news/111258-chris-boardman-helmets-not-even-top-10-things-keep-cycling-safe
>>
>>967584
>citibike/fixiefags are the ones who behave like suicidal retards
yup
>>
>>967584

NYC is a different beast. I'm not speaking anecdotally though, there is a research into the helmet = unsafe cyclist concept

There is some less solid evidence for helmeted cyclist = less cautious motorists as well

PS what's your favorite NYC rides? I went up for a weekend and went around manahattan + down to coney island boardwalk and back.... mostly in bike lanes. Very luxurious
>>
>>967574
>Linking CNET as a source

Are you sure you haven't already had a head injury on a bike?
>>
File: motoring_helemt.jpg (376KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
motoring_helemt.jpg
376KB, 1024x683px
>>967568
>my argument was shot to bits so ill just pretend i was right
Good, good. Let the butthurt flow through you. Have a motoring helmet.
>>
>>967597
>I avoid SI
Please, have some respect for the one true Brochure and the Only Valid Units of Measurement. Please re-read said brochue and bask in its glory!
>>
>>967558
dude "saftey" is an excuse to wear whatever aero helmet that's on the market

now you have to protect your eyes

so you HAVE to wear yellow oakley cycling glasses

oh wait but cars can't see you?!

better get that team discovery jersey on

OH WHAT IF YOUR PANTS GET CAUGHT IN THE CHAIN WHILE SHIFTING

ITS SAFTER TO WEAR A BIB!!!!!

but what if your foot slips out and accidentally causes death or injury

better clip in

next thing you know you're getting eggs and bread at the grocery store walking like a penguin in carbon fiber soled shoes yellow oakleys looking like a reject overweight failed cyclist
>>
>>967611
lmao

wearing a helmet will be the doom of all civilization
>>
>>967614
>do you ever actually ride
THIS

Here in Virginia, anyone under 14 is required to wear a helmet, but none of them do.
Adults aren't required to wear them, but hipsters aside, all adults DO wear helmets.
And I'm not sure you can count hipsters as adults.
>>
>>967614
about 20 miles every other day in the morning actual riding

on the trainer varies anywhere from 1-3 hours depending on the TV shows on the time

I ride a 1upusa trainer so it hardly makes any noise
>>
>>967623
yea but i live near a beach and it gets really touristy around summer and dangerous to ride with pedestrians shitty beach cruisers andm idwestern drivers
>>
>>967626
>scared of cars and other cyclists
>stays in and rides babby bike
maybe you'd feel safer if you wore a helmet
>>
File: 142.jpg (63KB, 622x521px) Image search: [Google]
142.jpg
63KB, 622x521px
>>967292
Puffy vulva
>>
>>967614
>do you ever actually ride,

i do 10 miles a day commuting in city traffic (do you even run reds you pleb?)

century rides once a month

haven't worn a helmet for the 10 years

never been in an accident that head protection would have helped

know one person that died on a bike. Country road, full roadie mode, helmet. hit wheel in front of him and fell into oncoming traffic

hmm

I believe helmets are for fast riding roadies going down winding roads. For cautious, slower riders, helmets are a burden
>>
When i'm on my bike there are two things i fear the most: cars and falling while descending. In neither scenario a helmet will bring any meaningful benefit. But still i'm delusional enough to believe that the helmet is going to protect me so i wear it. Also i dont want some asshole saying it was my fault for not wearing a helmet when they hit me.
>>
>>967642
best vulva
>>
People who doesn't wear helmets, where the fuck do you live?, here if you don't put on the helmet the cops fucks you because helmet-less riding is only allowed on urban roads.
>>
>ride without helmet for years
>decide to put on a helmet for the first time because of group ride
>feel like some retarded manchild who can't into situational awareness
>makes turning my head fast uncomfortable and clunky
>feel less secure, like I'm about to die any moment now instead of feeling save

In to the fucking trash it goes not even an argument for me. The times I bit the dust while mountain biking I fucked up my wrists more then anything else.
>>
File: FuckCanaduh.jpg (105KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
FuckCanaduh.jpg
105KB, 1024x682px
>>967664
I live in the United States, where helmet laws are only for children.
>>
File: no-helmets.jpg (297KB, 800x456px) Image search: [Google]
no-helmets.jpg
297KB, 800x456px
>>967664
In a country filled with rational people and halfway sane laws. Helmet laws are a motor industry lobby product and nothing else.
>>
>>967309
It's kinda amusing that he slammed his head right into the "blind pedestrians" sign
>>
>>967558
>>It's a helmet, the car equivalent to a seat belt.

No it's not. A seat belt is just as much to protect other people as it is you.
>>
I rented a bike in Paris and the guy asked if I wanted a helmet. I said no thanks, then he said yeah it's only Americans that need them, then we laughed.

It sucks being forced to wear a helmet with $380 fines, why do I need a helmet for a ride at 15kph to the shops or the pub?
>>
>>967713
Because Duncan Gay does not WANT you on the road at all.

Fucking cager politicians.
>>
>>967713
this
also going to the pub on a bike is GOAT
I never knew how well I ride blind drunk, too bad amerifats can't know those joys
>>
DAT kickstand on your dh bike
>>
File: 1346227283485.jpg (170KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1346227283485.jpg
170KB, 800x600px
>>967716
>I never knew how well I ride blind drunk
>>
>>967716
My cousin was able to quit drinking because he was drunk and rode his bike into a light pole then went into a coma. The hospital thought he was injured really badly but it turns out he just got to go through detox while in a coma lol.
>>
>>967725
good for him
>>967721
just try it mang
there is a sweet spot where the experience is just excellent
>>
>>967716
Yeah I love coming home from work on a Friday with a nice beer buzz on.

To all the aspies complaining about riding in jeans, do you not ever wear jeans? I ride in suits, jeans, wetsuits, whatever the fuck I need for my activity at the other end.
>>
>>967716
>I never knew how well I ride blind drunk, too bad amerifats can't know those joys

I did it babe. In Philadelphia. Nothing like blasting down market st in the rain on 10 beers yo

I fell once. Three times actually. I was too drunk to realize the street was covered in oil somehow

Just laughing while my bike slid out from under me over and over

way radical

If you plebs would see what fancy roadie bike I was abusing you'd all totally shit your b alls off

My fixie fag friend has a permanent limp from getting hit by SEVERAL taxis while biking drunk

only bike drunk on STI carbon fork roadie or else you are in trouble
>>
>>967797
This is the best feeling ever, though I argue Broad coming up to City Hall is much better
>>
>>967797
Suh radical, ur suh edgy, ridin ur byke drunk, ur suh badass
>>
>>967569
I think what's happening is just the opposite
in my country there is no helmet law so only people who wear them are freds and children with overbearing parents.
On my street a bunch of kids just got their first non kiddie bikes and I sometimes see them ride, boys and girls, helmetless and carefree just like I was back in the day.
And than there is the reject of the group who's mum has him ride in a helmet. He had a chance but now he'll always be 'that kid'.
>>
>>967735
riding in full SCUBA gear is p dank
>>
>>967611
>sieg
stop reading there
go back to /fa/, m8.
>>
ITT: people who ride 50 pound cruisers going slightly faster than walking speed on bike paths claiming helmets are useless.
>>
File: lobohelmet.jpg (72KB, 589x800px) Image search: [Google]
lobohelmet.jpg
72KB, 589x800px
If i'm not on a trail i just carry mine. I don't even wear it on trails i know well. In my area 90% of ppl i see wear them on bike paths.
>>
>>967959

if anything is the other way around. It's useles if you are fast.
>>
>>967292
wear a helmet retards.
>>
>>967968
Wearing a helmet makes me less safe, and more prone to accidents, cause if I wear a helmet, I ride my bike like a retard.
>>
>>967969
>I ride my bike like a retard
Don't ride like a retard,retard
>>
I mountain bike without a helmet, because I wear a hat instead to protect my face and neck
from the sun. If I wore a helmet, I'd have to either bike in the morning/afternoon or smear
smelly sunscreen all over my face and neck, which is a pain.

My 'protection' is slow and safe mountain biking. I never go fast enough to lose control, and I
don't do jumps. So far so good.

Road biking with a helmet is much more dangerous than mountain biking without a helmet,
btw.
>>
File: hel.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
hel.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
my helmet clamp broke...
what helmet should I get?
>>
>All of this pro-helmet drivel
Anybody up for some industrial espionage? I'd like to see Bell's marketing accounts for this year.
>>
I like that helmets mean I don't have to deal with my hair in the morning.
>>
>>967294

Underrated.
>>
>>967294

Extremely underrated.
>>
>>968097
giro air attack with visor
>>
>>968102
>>968103
Is there any logical reason why you would fucking say that post is underrated? Has anybody expressed any kind of dissatisfaction or criticism at all against it? Are you delusional? Are you reading replies that are nonexistant? Maybe you come from communities with voting systems, but there is literally no way that you could know what other people think of that post you just replied to here. Maybe it's psychological. Maybe it's your own post you're replying to, like a 12 year old fucktard liking his own facebook posts thinking his swelling autism is going unnoticed. Maybe your self esteem depends on you tricking yourself into thinking someone out there thinks your post is worth something. Or maybe you are just a retard, the worst kind of retard, the one who thinks he's smart, the one who thinks he's the only one to have gotten the joke, to have understood the post. Well, guess what, faggot, that post is by no definition underrated so why don't you do the world a favour and go check out what the bottom of your toilet smells like?
>>
>>968098
Yeah they spend it marketing to poor dip shits on 4chan
>>
File: tmp_4540-Jeb-Bush714730181.jpg (73KB, 711x498px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_4540-Jeb-Bush714730181.jpg
73KB, 711x498px
>>968103
>>968102

Fucking redditors
>>
File: IMG_20160426_082924.jpg (241KB, 766x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160426_082924.jpg
241KB, 766x1024px
>>967959
No shit, it would be nice to have the option to not wear one, but we don't in Australia.

According to the government here my ride to the shops on a Dutch bike needs the same amount of safety equipment as a weekend group ride.
>>
File: durianrider.jpg (31KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
durianrider.jpg
31KB, 480x360px
>>968212
Did I guess right?
>>
I stopped wearing helmet for my daily commute and, surprisingly, drivers started to give me way more space on the streets, be it by the curb or when running thru my lane (turns and shit). Pretty confusing but I like it.
Still getting helmet for my long/fast rides, so whatever.
>>
>>968214
>>968212
Answer is obviously phone so the filthy casul can track his rides.
>>
>>967369
Biking is not a normal thing to do in america.
Hence when people decide to bike they go all out and have to wear helmet + jersey + bibs even if theyre just commuting to work.
>>
I cycle without a helmet in jeans and a baggy t-shirt. U mad? I'm sure someone will be.

The helmet debate sort of amuses me. You know what'd make more people ok with wearing them? If they didn't look like something from a fucking sci-fi movie that belongs on the head of some tryhard who's worried about his aerodynamics and wishes he was in the tour de france.

Baseball helmets don't look fucking stupid.
Equestrian helmets don't fucking stupid.

I'd sooner wear a german biker gang helmet than this stupid piece of Fifth Element shit.
>>
>>968336
>super self conscious and concerned about outward appearance

are you gay?
>>
>>968336
You could always go full Wiley and wear a skatepark helmet, and look like even more of a tryhard when people wonder why you prioritize style over comfort.

>Baseball helmets don't look fucking stupid.
>Equestrian helmets don't fucking stupid.
Yeah... no.
>>
>>967611
>overweight failed cyclist

Projecting m8?
>>
>>967292
> helmetcuck OP
Fuck yeah, I deserve all the pussy I get!
>>
>>967302
Because I'm gonna throw on a helmet to ride 3 blocks to the grocery store.

>vague generalizing

Opinion discarded

If I'm actually going on a ride I'll wear a helmet unless I'm just gravel grinding
>>
>>968248
This. Strava or it didn't happen bruh
>>
>>968111
da fug, $200 for a helmet is too much my friend, it's not like i'm racing or doing triathlons.

but that does look like a sweet helmet though
>>
>>967292
Pussy?
Yes,yes they do.
>>
>>967316
You won't die when your elbow hits the road
>>
>>968212
Banana for extra boost
>>
>>968212

Answer: All except helmet.

You see..

Banana = Potassium source
Doll = Fashionable saddle accessory
Phone = Strava
Helmet = added useless weight
>>
>>967320
>tfw I ride an AWOL Elite in street clothes and a year's worth of untrimmed beard
>>
>>967294
This guy represents me.
>>
>>967292
got hit once while riding without a helmet. luckily i landed on my side and rolled, but i don't ride without a helmet now just because it could have been quite a bit worse.
>>
File: muh-prutectshun.jpg (14KB, 530x300px) Image search: [Google]
muh-prutectshun.jpg
14KB, 530x300px
>>967369
>amerilard thing

The only people I see wearing helmets here (EU) are the ones most likely to get rekt - kids, professionals, overweight unemployed mothers and mid-aged office drones without any consciousness. Most cyclists to get into accident are wearing helmets. Therefore, it is more important to teach proper bike maintenance, safety and experience.
>>
Helmetfag hypocrites itt
On the one hand you demand everyone wear a helmet, because you can get hurt while riding. People thinking they are not important for casual riding, and choose not to wear them "deserve to be hurt".

However, you don't want to wear elbow and kneepads, because they are
>>967323
>less significant
Which is the same reasoning the other people used when they decided to not wear a helmet. You can get hurt, but you think the chances are small, and you choose not to wear your safety gear.

>>967568
Fuck you dimshit, it is the exact same thing. Traveling in or on a vehicle, protection for your head. How the fuck is that not the same thing? You blind helmetfags, do everyone a favor, and go shatter your unprotected knees.
>>
Reminder to Ausfags that there are only three parties in their upcoming federal election which have stated their opposition to mandatory helmet laws. They are:
>Australian Cyclists Party
>Liberal Democratic Party
>Sex Party
A vote for any other party is a vote for mandatory helmets at all times from cradle to the grave.
>>
>>967642
+1 for correct terminology
>>
>>967292
Pretty much
>>
>>967322
poor kid
>>
File: 20160603_121739-1.jpg (2MB, 3077x1625px) Image search: [Google]
20160603_121739-1.jpg
2MB, 3077x1625px
>>968336
I think you mean sweatpants
>>
>>968365
I wear a skate helmet when I'm mountain biking because it doesn't look too out of place and it's all I have
>>
>>967292
They're only retarded after they crash without a helmet.

And no, nobody deserves brain damage.

Which is why everyone should wear one I guess, even though I mostly don't these days. I moved to a country that doesn't mandate them and I mandate my kid to wear one because DO AS I FUCKING SAY AND NOT AS I FUCKING DO, I'M THE ADULT HERE etc.

But I wear one when I go to pick up from school and don't worry most of the rest of the time.

I probably should wear it more.
>>
>>971589
>Most cyclists to get into accident are wearing helmets
People not confident on bikes and at risk, choose to wear safety equipment.

That seems very sensible of them.
>>
>>971742
>A vote for any other party is a vote for mandatory helmets at all times from cradle to the grave.
There are bigger issues to vote on than helmets.
>>
>>974446
When you have children, your life is not your own to throw away.
>>
>>974446
That fucking hypocrisy. Wow you're a massive faggot. I literally hate you more than anyone else on /n/
>>
>>974467
>That fucking hypocrisy. Wow you're a massive faggot. I literally hate you more than anyone else on /n/
Haha. Good to hear. I know I'm being hypocritical. I just don't care that much about my own safety I guess. When I lived in a country that mandated helmets, I had no problem with them. I still don't but compromise for comfort now. In winter I wear it much more often.

>>974461
>When you have children, your life is not your own to throw away.
I'm his step-father, that's my excuse.
>>
>>974461
What in his post suggested that he was 'throwing his life away'?
>>
>>974446
You should wear one when you walk. Also when you take a shower. Or do anything standing. Or drive. Or even sit in a chair at work. You never know when you might hit your head on something! Wouldn't want to be irresponsible to your family and die unnecessarily, right?
>>
File: longbikes_slipstream.jpg (143KB, 1200x742px) Image search: [Google]
longbikes_slipstream.jpg
143KB, 1200x742px
I used to wear a helmet, but I don't anymore.
The reason is because there's no helmet that is as comfortable as not wearing any helmet.

The usefulness of the amount of protection a typical bicycle helmet affords is very debatable. You could say that anything would be better than nothing, but then why not wear a full-face motorcycle helmet and riding leathers too?

One fact is that helmets don't help prevent you from getting hit. I ride with a head-mount (glasses-mount) rear-view-mirror and find it far more useful to safety than a helmet ever would be. Being able to see in front AND behind you at the same time is very useful, and I feel quite disadvantaged in car traffic without it.

Also we note: bike companies like helmets because that way they can keep selling unsafe products.
The cause of head injuries is bicycles that flip over forward under hard braking or in even minor crashes.
A lot of recumbent bikes don't do that at all, but they don't want to talk about that....
>>
>>967310
I had handle bars like that for about 6 months and they are the worst I have ever used
>>
>>967552
actually, pls don't wear one.
>>
File: stop stop stop stop.gif (988KB, 351x263px) Image search: [Google]
stop stop stop stop.gif
988KB, 351x263px
>>975356
>Pinky-operated brake levers
>>
File: mhm.jpg (6KB, 283x178px) Image search: [Google]
mhm.jpg
6KB, 283x178px
>being so stupid that you need a retard hat

If you wear a helmet everyday you just show to everybody that simple things like riding a bike are to much of a mental challenge for you.
>>
>>968365
>Equestrian helmets don't fucking stupid
I've seen a girl wearing one of those on a townbike. She looked ok, it was a pretty stylish helmet and the brim probably helps with sun.
>>
>>975680
qts can get away with that shit tho
>>
What type/brand of helmet do you use?

I live in Europe and bike helmets are not common here.
>>
>>975701
I live in Europe too, and yes, not many wear them. I've seen too many crashs to not wear one. It's probably an american thing to feel like Superman and drive like a jackass as soon as you wear a helmet. Just put one on and drive careful as always if you want to be safe.
But I support that it should be a voluntary decision for adults.
Regarding your question I wear a UVEX helmet.
>>
>>975356
>but then why not wear a full-face motorcycle helmet and riding leathers too?
I do.
>>
>>975701
England here and rarely see people without a helmet
>>
>>975730
Rural or urban England? Is helmet use widespread in both?
>>
>>967574
My dad is a neurosurgeon and he complains all the time about cyclists coming in with head injuries sustained while not wearing a helmet. He's also missing part of his chin because of crashing his bike in med school, so his salt is magnified.

He also despises ATVs.

In related news:
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/18681802/ns/us_news-weird_news/t/helmet-saves-cyclist-after-truck-runs-over-head/#.V4CRhpMrI0Q
>>
Oh, also I'd like to remind everyone that claims they don't need a helmet because they are super-cautious that you can receive a life-threatening head injury from falling only three feet and landing the wrong way.

Don't act like you've never taken an accidental tumble off your bike before.
>>
>>967324
I've seen this image all over does anybody actually have a video of this?
>>
>>978104
I ride DRUNK AS FUCK year round in Canadian weather and often slip on some nonsense and eat shit... pretty stoked on my helmet
>>
>>978104
But the same applies to walking. Don't pretend you've never stumbled of slipped before. Wear you walking helmet!
Or, you know, most rational people try to find a balance between risk and inconvenience. Non-sport, casual cycling- and walking helmets don't make a whole lot of sense when you do. Also, you dad suffers a bad case of both sample error and confirmation bias.
>>
>>978310
When you trip while walking, 99% of the time you're going to fall in the same direction - face going towards the pavement. Your arms are basically custom-made appendages for breaking the fall

When something happens on a bike, you have no idea what direction you'll hit from. Did one wheel slide out on a fast corner? Did your front wheel enter a puddle that was actually a 16" deep pothole? Did your front fender suck up some garbage? Did you get doored? And, did your pedals release or are you tumbling with the bike, as a unit? Did only one of your pedals unclip? What's the shape of the terrain? Were you in the drops or on the hoods? Etc.

Now it is your turn to explain to me why each of those scenarios doesn't/shouldn't happen to a "real cyclist" (i.e. someone whose riding conditions exactly match yours, probably a 50 pound boat anchor on a dedicated bike path with platform pedals going no faster than 8mph and surrounded by tulips and windmills)
>>
>>978102
>He's also missing part of his chin because of crashing his bike in med school, so his salt is magnified.
Was he wearing a helmet?
>>
>>967292
>using a helmet

What am I, Lance Armstrong? Fucking bums like you, you just fuck around in the town with helmets and tight suits that show their dicks, just act normal, you're not racing nor 6 and learning how to bike
>>
File: postal.jpg (327KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
postal.jpg
327KB, 1500x1000px
>>978595
breh

>using a helmet
the correct answer is sometimes
>>
>>978602
lance looks mad af that his fatass teammate is copping his EPO
>>
OK n , when I commute I almost never wear a helmt when I go for a ride helmet is almsot always on me exepct from the long climbs during which I put them on the bars...

but one thing I dont understand is

>no helmets, no gloves, looking quite experienced rider, nasty ass +60-70km/h descent (and can easily reach 90kmh) after a climb

why

>oh, Im on a training ride, I HAVE A RACE TOMMOROW

helmet police is another thing, but this whole snobbery of racers is also rediculous, especially while riding some really technically descents and stuff
>>
>>978613
dat adrenaline rush tho

today I was going about 40mph downhill with an absurdly undersized and twitchy rigid MTB, no helmet or protective gear, and it was more intense than usual knowing that I was completely fucked if I didn't hit my line exactly and avoid this rock and that hole and stick the landing on the jump at the end

then I got to a technical bit that had a couple of good oh fuck moments
>>
I'm guessing this has been posted before, but what's everyone's thoughts on this?

http://www.howiechong.com/journal/2014/2/bike-helmets
>>
File: Copenhagen[1].jpg (223KB, 689x458px) Image search: [Google]
Copenhagen[1].jpg
223KB, 689x458px
>>979505
A good summary on the different aspects of the issue.

The main point I feel a strong agreement with: "Bike helmets discourage cycling ... The ultimate way to make cycling safe is to promote a culture of cycling, not bike helmet use."

I live in a city where the image of cycle advocacy is faux vintage upright bikes with flowery baskets and sundresses. I have literally never seen a teenaged girl on a bike here. Biking is so deeply uncool...
>>
>>967582
>British Cycling policy advisor says it's time to stop distracting helmet arguments and concentrate on real safety issues...

Helmet laws (for youth) are a way for politicians to do "something" without upsetting the majority of their constituents.

The biggest danger to cyclists is multi-ton vehicles being driven recklessly.

My neighbors know I bicycle everyday and sometimes they complain to me about crazy cyclists. I agree with their complaints, in most cases. But then I ask them when was the last day they drove without exceeding the speed limit (even by a little), doing a by-the-book complete stop, pause, look, and proceed at every stop sign and legal right turn on red. Honestly, the way people think they drive and the way people actually drive are different. The same observation applies to 'safe' cyclists as well.
>>
>>975356
You clearly have shit bike handling skills.
>>
These shitty helmets don't protect you at all against those crazy Romanian truck drivers. True story.
>>
>>967292
I would much rather get my children coloring books for Christmas than my kids get me coloring books for Christmas. so yeah I wear my helmet.
>>
>>975356
Learn to brake you downtube. Your front brake can and should be doing all your braking.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html

If you bike actually starts to fling you off then let off the brake. You probably just have flimsy arms though.

>>979505

Those head injuries/million hours are nice stats. I wonder how accurate they are though.
>>
>>968118
overrated post
Thread posts: 176
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.