[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just about to get clipless pedals How much am I going to fall?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: 1379308596616.jpg (27KB, 542x474px) Image search: [Google]
1379308596616.jpg
27KB, 542x474px
Just about to get clipless pedals
How much am I going to fall?
>>
A couple times, but then you'll get it.

Why not take a ride, or practice against a couch or something, just clipping and unclipping?
>>
Spur of the moment I did my first clipless ride borrowing a friend's setup at a mtb trailhead and didn't fall once. Riders better than me have fallen multiple times their first time riding on pavement.
Set the tension low and practice clipping in and out at a stop.
Really though just don't overthink it and go for a ride
>>
>>959389
I didn't fall a single time in almost two years of clipless, just sometimes I fucked up when starting riding after stopping at a traffic light but basically because cars get me nervous when they are behind me. Weeks ago I started to pedal with a single leg, and It works to get started after stopping at a traffic light.

On urban roads with stops and stuff, be sure to use smaller speeds, some of the close calls were because I was on big ring/small cog and did not pull enough to make a fluid movement.
>>
I fell once because I clipped out, but my foot down, stepped on something and ended up tipping over the other way. People who can't clip out are consciously trying to wrestle their feet out. When you want to clip out, don't twist your ankle to do it. Just move your leg outwards from the bike and loosen up your ankles. Your ankle will twist naturally.
>>
Practice on rollers before you hit the road.
>>
>>959389
I only fell once and that was in my garage because I am dumb. I don't know why people say that you will fall over many times.

Having said that, I've nearly fallen two times while riding but was able to get my foot out, maybe if I had much tighter cletes and pedals I would have hit the ground.
>>
>>959399
Pretty much this, the only time i've ALMOST falled in over 6 months of clipless pedals was when I was riding through my city to the beach and it was wet. I had to slam on the brakes really quick, back wheels slipped out to the side, somehow managed to correct it then miraculously clipped out before coming to a stop.

Was pretty scaring and must have looked like an idiot but the pedals have been worth it heaps, just remember to give yourself a second or two to clip out
>>
If you have to ask, maybe a couple times.
>>
File: PicsArt_05-24-06.19.42.jpg.jpg (273KB, 1488x1038px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_05-24-06.19.42.jpg.jpg
273KB, 1488x1038px
>>960022
Learn from my experience:

The only time I fell using clipless pedals was sprinting down hill on a fixed gear. When I pushed down on the pedal I twisted my foot too much and unclipped. My other pedal threw me otb and I slammed going almost 30mph. I wasn't wearing a helmet, but I saved my head by shielding it with my arms and only got a little road rash.

Knowing how to fall is almost more important than knowing how to bike
>>
I fell once while learning.

Then, when I jumped right out of them while doing a technical hill climb. (and quit using the SH-56 cleats that day)

And a couple of times one day because I got pranked by a friend that cranked the tension all the way on one side of one pedal. I got him back by taking off with his chain a few miles from home.
>>
>>959389
A few times , it WILL happen, and it'll be embarrassing.
>>
I came VERY close a few times when I first started using them, but never actually fell.
>>
>>960023
>sprinting downhill
>"almost 30mph"

kek
>>
>>960055
It was a fixed gear and I was leaning into a turn when I unclipped. Calm your tits. If it was a straight away I wouldn't have torqued my foot to the side like I did
>>
>>959389

Havent fallen yet in about 2 months. Only had a few close calls.
>>
>>959389
I've never fallen, the only time I came close was when I got in a cat6 race with a qt and when I stopped at a light I was concentrating really hard on not looking winded, and almost forgot to unclip. It looked really stupid and awkward and I lost any chance of impressing her.
>>
>>960057
If you sustained any injury at all travelling at such speeds it calls in to question whether cycling of any description is a safe activity for you.
>>
>>960023
I love watching dumb fixiefags being betrayed by their drivetrains every time I go to my local hill.
>>
>>960023
...or not being a massive retard by riding unsafe bikes in public places. Serves you right. I bet you fell super cool too. Your beard and flannel shirt probably saved you from being a paraplegic- thank goodness!
>>
>>960253
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.