[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trek VS Giant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

File: 16_Trance_275_3_Black.jpg (56KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
16_Trance_275_3_Black.jpg
56KB, 800x534px
So I've narrowed it down to two choices:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/fuel-ex/fuel-ex-5-29/p/2132600-2016

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/trance.x.29er.2/14835/66298/

Without being a fanboy, which of these two bikes should I buy?
>>
>>952362
Whichever you like the feel of when your on it. If you can't test them, get this instead. http://www.on-one.co.uk/c/q/bikes/mountain-bikes/codeine
>>
Dunno, I like Sram X5 over Deore. So... maybe Trek. But they're really close, honestly.

Though those are all entry components with coil shocks. I'd just buy used, desu. Or for $500 more Diamondback has some much better bikes, provided you can go with 650b instead of a 29er.
>>
Trek and Giant are literally the same, Giant makes most of Trek's frames.

Also consider pinkbike.com/buysell
Serious mtbers often upgrade every few years to the newest model, so you can get good condition bikes that are only a few years old for at least half off. Good option for mountain bikes since you have to pay like $4k if you want a good mtb new and the ones you're looking at have low end drive train spec.
>>
>>952389
>>952393
I'm in the mood to have a new bike.
>>
>>952362

They are both much of the same really. I'd probably take the Giant over the Trek mostly because I don't like Treks fucking around with fork offset "G2 Geometry" bullshit. However I prefer the floating shock design over the maestro linkage which always seems to suffer from more pedal bob than I like unless you're constantly flicking the shock lockout on and off as needed. The biggest difference between them is probably not going to be the bikes themselves but the quality of the shop that sells it to you.
>>
>>952410
At $2k, a new full suspension mountain bike will be shit. Enjoy your walmart-tier bike, anon!
>>
>>952389
>coil shocks
Can confirm?
>>952421
http://www.apollobikes.com/bikes15/dual-suspension/copperhead-30

This is my third pic
>>
>>952421
They won't be SHIT just it that uncomfortable scenario between "competitive" and "entry that looks nicer".
So, anti-economical.

>>952431
Yeah read the specs. The front is coil. Dunno the rear, didn't check.

This bike you linked is literally ages ahead the other two. Get this one. Everything is on another level.
But isn't it like twice the price? Check out diamondback, man. For less than that you have other options that are good specced, albeit not AS good as that one, but it doesn't really matter once you walk out of coil suspensions and entry drivetrains you're in good territory:

http://www.diamondback.com/bikes-mountain-bikes-all-mountain-full-suspension-catch-series-catch-1

http://www.diamondback.com/bikes-mountain-bikes-all-mountain-full-suspension-release-series-release-1

http://www.diamondback.com/bikes-mountain-bikes-all-mountain-mission-series-mission-1

And this one is on the same price range as the ones in the OP, but it's slightly better specced imho considering it costs less (still coil front):

http://www.diamondback.com/bikes-mountain-bikes-trail-full-suspension-atroz-series-atroz-comp

By the way even the coil forks are going to be fine for most people. But I wouldn't pay 2k for a bike with coils in the front.
>>
>>952449
The copperhead is the one I should get?

It's not actually that bike exactly. The one I'm looking to get is about $2500 CAD. I'll call the store tomorrow and see if I can get the model name again.
>>
>>952452
The copperhead 20 shows up for $2999 AUD so maybe it's that for a good chunk off retail price. That one is good too.

>good brand 140mm air fork on the front, good on the rear too
>SRAM everything 2x10 is good and 2x10 is comfortable for any use
>everything else checks out, I'd say

Only "meh" things:
>Brakes are on the lower end, but a quick google seems to say that they're just not that strong biting, but reliable, so it's all good.
>X5 front derailer might be a little sluggish but... it's a front derailer, who cares really. Rear one is excellent and that's what matters.
>>
>>952449
only diamondbacks worth getting are the mission pro frameset, and the sync'r pro
>>
>>952459
And why? Those are all nice bikes.
>>
>>952362

I demo'd a Remedy and didn't care much for it.

Also X5 is not a very good group and in no way equivalent to Deore. It's closer to Altus-tier in build quality and function. Sram X7 and higher is fantastic, but X5 just has a bit too much plastic in the wrong places and the shifters feel awful.

I would not really consider a full-suspension 29er in any case, except maybe as a dedicated chairlift park bike.
>>
>>952466
I disagree about the X5, I got an X5 rear mech and I find it quick and nice, no issues whatsoever, never smashed it but it doesn't look particularly weak or anything that'd bother me.
>>
>>952483

Take a look at the B-set screw.
It's only held in place by a plastic clamshell.
If you ever "smash it", there's a good chance that the B-set screw will no longer retain a position for more than about half an hour of riding.

You can fix it permanently into place by adding a few nuts and flipping the bolt around, but that's not really the point. It's a piece of shit.

Aside from build quality and durability, when you upgrade to X7 you get much smoother shifting as well as a clutch mechanism.
>>
>>952487

*actually I was thinking of x4. Not sure about X5 off the top of my head.
>>
>>952483
I only ride park.
>>
>>952415
I think the maestro linkage has almost no Bob, I barely ever lock my rear shock out. Are you sure your rear shock is set up correctly?
>>
>>952466
That seems like a really weird statement to make, most full-sus 29ers are XC/all mountain type geometry so climb pretty well, and are not really well suited to groomed man made tracks that you find in those chairlift-type parks
>>
>>952490
Well I've never tried the X4 but the X5 is literally SRAM's Deore competitor. Most opinions I've seen on the web agree that the X5 is a better rear derailer than Shimano's Deore, and that thumbs only shifter is much nicer.
>>
OP here:

If I was going to buy the bike with coil shocks and upgrade it immediately, what fork should I go with?
>>
File: chiner29er.jpg (158KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
chiner29er.jpg
158KB, 1024x768px
For $2k you could build a really high specced chinese carbon bike. With any $2k FS bike from the big 3 you are gonna get a mid level drivetrain and a boatload of house branded components. Also if you are on a small or med frame you may want to consider 27.5 instead of 29.
>>
>>952640
Can you link me to a few?
>>
File: WP_20160315_19_17_01_Pro.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160315_19_17_01_Pro.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
>>952642
I built one and did plenty of research- the hong fu/ deng fu seem to be the best and have good reviews. Mine had no defects but you are taking that risk and getting basically no warranty. The pic above i believe is the latest 29er- mine is fm-156 27.5. The bikes you linked are both over 30 lbs. Mine is around 25 W/ the dropper post and pedals.
http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/e_products/?big_id=5
>>
>>952640
>OP obviously wants to run trails
>suggests chinese carbon
I'd take the risk with road bikes, but on a trail running a suspicious frame is stupid at best and it's not like having a light bike means that much when you're sticking heavy suspensions on it anyways.

I'd totally go for a home build though.

>>952638
Just buy it and ride it for a while before asking, so you know what exactly you'd like to improve. It's not like coil shocks are horrible, they're just heavy and prone to "pogo stick" effect.
>>
>>952647
>Just buy it and ride it for a while before asking, so you know what exactly you'd like to improve. It's not like coil shocks are horrible, they're just heavy and prone to "pogo stick" effect.

I was going to ask the store to replace them for me, and subtract the cost of the coil shocks.
>>
>>952647
as most carbon fiber comes from like 3 companies , and a lot of carbon frames are rebranded chinese frames, providing there isn't any cracks, or weak spots, a chink frame could be as good a taiwanese frame from trek or specialized.
>>
Holy fuck OP please at least go look at pinkbike, I bought a bike that's worth 6 grand new for 2 and could not have been happier. Just scroll through a few pages before you say you aren't in the mood.
>>
OP here:

this is the other bike I test road and liked

http://khsbicycles.com/bikes/2013-khs-models/sixfifty-2500/
>>
>>952678
>go look at pinkbike
Just did (again). Nothing good in my area and I don't want a bike shipped from the other side of the continent.
>>
Well I bought the Trance 2. They gave me a deal and I just had to have it.
>>
>>953380

Congrats!
>>
>>953380
You literally bought the best of the two

Literally
>>
>>953380
Great anon, have fun with it, it'll surely be a blast.
>>
>>953385
>>953386
>>953395
TY
>>
looks pretty sweet- now buy a dropper post. anyone who is anti dropper hasn't tried one.
>>
>>953423
It has one.
>>
>>953427
wonderful- did you get a higher model than the ex5 or did they throw it in?
>>
>>953443
I'm not really sure DESU how do I find out?
>>
>>953450
Stupid word filter...
>>
>>953496
It's what you deserve for using fucktard facebook-tier phrases.
>>
>>953498
T B H is common in the workplace and therefore acceptable.
>>
File: deltalinear-downtube-75162089.jpg (20KB, 457x190px) Image search: [Google]
deltalinear-downtube-75162089.jpg
20KB, 457x190px
>>953499
>>
>>953504
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRnSnfiUI54
>>
>>953499
Fuck off newfag downtuber. People don't say "tee bee ache" in the workplace.
>>
No seriously though, how do I find out if it's x-whatever or not?
>>
>>953510
look at the upgrade part at the bottom of the trek link in OP. If your bike is orange you prob dont have a dropper.
>>
>>953514
I have a dropper...I was curious about some of the components.
>>
Fuck trektrekrekt, giant literally makes every frame ever. Buy an used steel 90s mtb with slicks instead. Also use the bike buy thread. Reported
>>
>>953516
>BWAAHAHAH I'm from 4chan!!!!!
-you
>>
>>953380

>Not buying a Trek

Somewhere, an angel got it's wings anon...
>>
>>953688
It was coil shocks vs Fox front and back
>>
Think it's worth spraying all over it with plastidip?
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.