[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Disc brakes banned in sportives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9

>Cyclists taking part in French sportives, including L’Etape du Tour, hugely popular among British riders, will not be able to do so on bikes equipped with disc brakes after the French cycling federation (FFC) decided to ban them.
>>
>>946209
BANNED
A
N
N
E
D
>>
Like pros, ok, they don't want discs they get sponsored bikes. But banning them from sportives is just down right stupid.
>>
I'm glad I just keep riding the bikes I have rather than always chasing the latest fad.
>>
File: 1379170202461.png (128KB, 308x308px) Image search: [Google]
1379170202461.png
128KB, 308x308px
>>946217
>latest fad
>implying disc brakes aren't objectively better
>>
>>946209
>they can basically become giant knives
>>
File: image.jpg (46KB, 805x533px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46KB, 805x533px
I wonder who they put in charge of the FCC
>>
>>946263
Fad just means they're popular for a short time.
It doesn't mean they aren't better....
>2016
>Not knowing what fad means
>>
>>946263
Mineral oil hydraulic discs are a pain in the ass.

Also they use o rings and rubber tubing to route fluid to the caliper...but mineral oil dissolves rubber over time so there is a need for constant servicing

Which is why bike manufacturers and bike shops rave about them.
>>
>>946217
It's basically a push to sell new frames/bikes.

Trek/cannondale/giant/specialized want you to hop off of those 2014 models and buy a 2016 model then a 2018 model

It's the cell phone marketing strategy
>>
>>946209
Britbongs will never give up their discs because rain. This is just France hating Britain again.
>>
>>946263
>"disc brakes are better"
>...
>throw away all your wheelsets
>throw away all your bikes
>start completely from scratch

yeah no fuck you you're a fag
>>
>>946400
If you bought a new bike or frame in the last five years and didn't get disc compatible, you deserve all the time you've wasted defending the no need to stop on the internet. Enjoy your "brakes are for minute speed adjustments and no one rides in rain anyway"
>>
>>946404
I get a new bike every year. are you poor or something?
>>
>>946400
>nothing can ever be better than the old shit because im so insecure i have to replace everything i own if its not the best there is
>ill go in denial and reject reailty rather than fix my personal issues
Um, anon...
>>
>>946406
I'm upper middle class, I guess. But I was born with the common sense, I didn't buy it. You can't either, you're stuck with your shit for brains.
>>
>>946406
Sorry, I meant the other guy, I'm posting and cooking at the same time...
>>
>>946407
>I'm upper middle class
Yeah, having to flash that around fits the pathological profile of the greentext perfectly. I suggest therapy, anon.
>>
>>946409
You asked, Mr I'm Definitely Not Poor. I'm so sorry I finished school and worked slightly harder than you, but I'm not buying you a new bike with discs. You had the chance, several times in a row it would seem, and you blew it.
>>
>>946263
Oh look, it's the disc foamer who only uses his rear brake.
>>
>>946413
I have bikes with and without discs, sorry to burst your bubble
>>
>>946263
If you positively need disc brakes to ride competitively or safely, cycling really isn't your thing.
>>946404
>If you bought a new bike or frame in the last five years and didn't get disc compatible
Who keeps a road bike for 5 years? How poor are you?
>>
>>946429
>>946534

Are you poor? Who keeps an obsolete bike for so long?
>>
>>946577
I good bike will last a lifetime. Why are you buying such shitty bikes you need to buy a new one every few years?
>>
>>946534
Somebody buys trendy bikes that need to be replaced when they go out of fashion every five years
>>
>>946581
This view depends on how much you ride and what importance you place on having the latest in bike tech.

People racking up thousands of miles a year will wear through drive-trains quickly and generally yearn for the latest tech Dropping a few grand on a new bike every few years is money well spent for them.

IMO when you get to the 105 level the bike will be enjoyable for years. You have the biggest advantages of modern tech like integrated shifters and 10 speed cassettes.

Bought my current bike in 2013. Might throw new wheels on it next year. Intend on riding it until the frame breaks or we get affordable frames made from unobtanium.
>>
>>946581
My trektrek crabbon bike assploded so I had to get steelisreal.
>>
>>946605
There's a population of OTS poorfags with obsolete tech, who have been getting uppity since grant convinced them that old shit is a rare and precious luxury item and clipless is for casuals.

In this bizarro universe, the worse your bike and the less you ride, the more of a Real Cyclist you are.
>>
Should I get a shitload of Chinese disks and put them on a rake to have hanging on the front of my bike?
>>
>>946613
Not all OTS's are created equal.

There are tons of shitty 70's bike boom 10 speeds rusting away in sheds and garages. They deserve a place the bike scrap heap of history in with the newer BSOs.

There are some nice bikes from that era out there. Like vintage cars they pale in performance to modern ones, but history remembers those with good looks and performance to match.
>>
File: image.jpg (246KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
246KB, 768x576px
>>946265
What? How?
>>
>>946316
You are, objectively, full of shit.
>>
>>946672
Do not feed
>>
File: 71CX7hblS3S._SL1500_.jpg (119KB, 1065x1500px) Image search: [Google]
71CX7hblS3S._SL1500_.jpg
119KB, 1065x1500px
>>946263

v-brakes became something beautiful during the disc takeover

I'm gonna use V forever. Avid Single Digit + kool stops.

cheap. required IQ ~80 for setup, takes 5 minutes

> Nu Retro grump
>>
>>946692
>Nu Retro grump
Fug it, I'm right there with you mate.

\//\ v-brake naysh!
>>
Discs are overkill either way.

A V brake can already easily block your wheels 100%
>>
>>946672

What's up tektro viral marketing Dept.

http://www.o-ring-lab.com/en/essays/why-o-rings-fail/
>>
>>946209
>after the French cycling federation (FFC)
I think you'll find the French cycling federation is the ACP. You're talking about some stupid sports thing.
>>
>>946718
Oh geez not this argument again...

Listen rim faggots, when someone says disc brakes are better, they are saying the following:

>they work better in the wet
>they don't heat up the rim on descents
>they can wipe off speed in an instant <25mph (think about that when riding in traffic)
>superior modulation
>one finger operation
>never have to buy wheels again

All these things appeal to different people for different reasons. I ride in the mountains frequently and discs are hands down the ultimate braking method.
>>
File: 1460575494210.png (162KB, 543x600px) Image search: [Google]
1460575494210.png
162KB, 543x600px
>>946405
>>
>>946316
My ass. I've had the same brake set for years and I've only had to bleed it once and replace the pads a few times. They still feel great even though the bike has a few thousand miles on it.
>>
>>947419
Don't respond to him. He doesn't even read his sources, and just likes to spout bullshit and call you a faggot if you engage him. Note how his sources say chemical attack is a problem -- if the wrong materials are used?
>>
Anyone that dislikes disc brakes is a fucking downtube.
>>
>>948966
I have never witnessed one persone forcing a meme so hard
>>
>>948969
I'm not a single persone you downtube
>>
>>948972
>I'm not a single persone you downtube
That's right I forgot autists aren't really people.
>>
>>947421
>>947419
Totally this.
I have had my hydraulic disc brake bike for maybe 8 years and never changed a single part except twice replacing a front wheel that was stolen. Brakes are still fantastic.

Yeah, I probably should have changed parts (I dread to think how worn the chain is...) but you get my point.
>>
>>948976
>not changing a chain in 8 years
You just went full downtube.
>>
disc brakes reek havoc on wheel life, the torquing effect over-stresses the spokes, hubs and rims. It will ruin forks not specifically made for disc brakes. Its something you would only use on MBT and CX bikes that are already overbuilt and run on dirt where the skidding effect over dirt relieves the braking affect compared to asphalt
>>
>>948988
How the fuck do you manage to run discs on a fork that isn't designed for them?
>>
>>948988
drivetrains brakes reek havoc on wheel life, the torquing effect over-stresses the spokes, hubs and rims. It will ruin frames not specifically made for drivetrains. Its something you would only use on a bike you would actually ride that are actually built to be ridden
>>
>>948996
REKT
E
K
T

>>948988 confirmed for downtube
>>
>>948993
Erm, this...
Since the disc brake caliper *attaches to the fucking fork*
>>
>>949005
... If it has disc mounts it is therefore designed to run discs
>>
>>949005
>doesn't know about zip ties
cmon bro do you even mechanic
>>
But why did they do this?
>>
File: p4pb1818765.jpg (54KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
p4pb1818765.jpg
54KB, 600x800px
>>946639
Like that ?
>>
>>951463
That kind of injury could be caused by anything.

I think that if you don't acknowledge and accept the fact that you could fucking die any moment when riding your bisikle, I think you should reconsider your choice of transportation and hobby.

This fear of disc brakes is unjust and bizzare.
>>
Why are they banned!?
>>
>>951476
Because >>951463
>>
>>951483
How hard would it be to make a new one with a rubber strip around the outside?
>>
>>951476
Because some guy pretended an injury was caused by one. And everyone overreacted instead of taking two seconds to realise the injury was clearly not caused by a disc brake because it was on the wrong leg.

>>951484
The rubber would have to be as thin as the disc brake or you wouldn't be able to get the wheel off, or on in the first place.
Plus it probably wouldn't do much, just break off or provide very minimal protection in the event of a crash.
And it might even just melt off. The discs can get very hot on descents, especially with inexperienced riders riding the brakes.
>>
>>951491
>or you wouldn't be able to get the wheel off
So re-vamp it. A little button or clip to take it on and off.
>>
>>951492
>A little button or clip to take it on and off.
Do you even know how disc brakes work?
>>
>>951494
>>951494
There's two pads that push against a metal disk...

All you'd have to do is have a little clip to open the pads wide enough to accommodate a rubber sheath and then tighten it again to get the pads nice and close like they need to be.
>>
>>951495
qwik-release
>>
>>951495
I had some doubts, but now it's clear that you have no clue about how disc brakes work.
It's not as simple as "have a little clip that opens the pads". If you had actually seen a disc brake in real life you'd know that there's already a spring that separates the pads, so that they stick to the pistons and don't rub the disc.
If you weren't a moron you'd also know that to "open the pads" you need some leverage and the appropiate tool, not a simple easy clip. And of course, if you weren't mentally challenged you would know that the brake pads rub to the very edge of the disc, so your magical rubber edge would get mangled, melted, sucked into the caliper and probably cause the brake to block completely.

You can't put a quick-release on everything. It's like saying that casettes shouldn't be tightened with a nut, it could be done with a quick-release. It's not as simple as you think.
>>
>>946316
Most disc brake systems do not use mineral oil.

That doesnt mean I think they belong on road bikes but school yourself before you talk shit son.
>>
>>951542
Not the anon you replied to, but you're the retarded one since you seem to think all disc brakes are designed the same way. Protip: They're not.
>>
>>951476
False flag because UCI downtubes don't like discs.
>>951491
This guy gets it.
>>946316
Mechanical discs are the best brakes.
>inb4 poorfag can't afford hydraulics
I have hydraulics on one of my bikes. I have mechanical discs on another. And I have rim brakes on my other two. Mechanical discs are my favourite.
>>
>>951542
It's really not hard to imagine a system that can have rubber coated disks...dumbass
>>
File: Cf7f4CpW8AAAP83[1].jpg (78KB, 600x582px) Image search: [Google]
Cf7f4CpW8AAAP83[1].jpg
78KB, 600x582px
>still nobody posted this
It's not like they banned disc brakes on a whim
>>
>>951575
A disc couldn't have caused such a wound.
>>
>>951575
That's a false flag you fucking downtube
>>
>>951579
>>951587
don't think so
https://youtu.be/0DHf2Eci-3k?t=5m53s

here's open letter from ventoso's facebook
http://pastebin.com/2Jd1MztG
>>
File: UCI-disc-brake-bungle-1.jpg (273KB, 1024x600px) Image search: [Google]
UCI-disc-brake-bungle-1.jpg
273KB, 1024x600px
http://cyclingtips.com/2016/05/leaked-notes-reveal-that-uci-will-restart-disc-brake-trial-in-june/

>disc brake trial restarting
>rounded edges on discs
>Forensic medical doctor says Ventoso's wound was likely caused by a chainring
>Movistar or Ventoso refusing to comment
>Press release later this week

KNEEJERK
N
E
E
J
E
R
K
>>
>>951679
I pretty much expected this. His wound looked like it was hacked into, not sliced. It also explains why it was on which leg.
>>
>>951679
>>Forensic medical doctor says Ventoso's wound was likely caused by a chainring
FALSE
FLAG
CONFIRMED

DISCS ARE HERE TO STAY

Fucking UCI downtubers BTFO
>>
UNBANNED
N
B
A
N
N
E
D
>>
Disc haters btfo
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.