[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Safety for our rides

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

File: DSC_0133-1.jpg (2MB, 1356x1300px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0133-1.jpg
2MB, 1356x1300px
So this Saturday someone got my bike (pic related), with a list price of 699 € and my actual purchasing price in a sale for 549.99 €. It was locked outside a grocery store and during the 15 minutes I was in with my son, the lock was cut and they got away. At least the bike of my son was left behind. I had to go to the cops, there I was allowed to fill a form and with a nice-weekend-wishes they sent me home. They made clear that I will never see it again as they have other problems in our 40k town than look for a bike, which I understand, but it feels shitty.

Long story short, what does /n/ recommend to increase the safety for my next ride?
> inb4 Don't get a bike.

tl;dr: Bike stolen, what to do to prevent it?
>>
File: abus-granit-x-plus-54.jpg (62KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
abus-granit-x-plus-54.jpg
62KB, 640x480px
Get a high quality lock, you didn't say what you had before. Not much more you can do.
>>
You can also write on the next one with UV so if it does come up it might be more easily IDed

There's still a chance it might come up on a facebook buy swap sell
>>
>>942771
Sue the grocery store for negligence
>>
>>942771

Get a U lock and cables, lock frame to something substantial and run the cables through errything like Pee Wee Hermann.

Really though, if someone wants to steal your shit it'll only slow them down a little. I had my bike chained to a rack once, and they literally just stole the entire rack with all the other bikes attached to it.
>>
File: baiku.png (3MB, 1826x818px) Image search: [Google]
baiku.png
3MB, 1826x818px
post >yfw japanese bikes need not be locked
>>
>>942771
Best lock is to ride a beater $20 huffy bike that you park next to a cannondale. Save that $1000+ bike for weekend rides.
>>
>>942771
>tl;dr: Bike stolen, what to do to prevent it?
Simple. You don't let it out of your sight. Ever. No lock will save you, it's been proven over and over again.
>>
>>942810
they sort of kind of do because almost everyone rides the same fucking bike so you have to lock up so that someone doesn't take yours by accident

it's funny when you see a nice fixxxie or road bike locked to something with a cable that a pair of scissors could cut through, because that's part of the "look" of the bike

also i miss yamato transport holy shit SO USEFUL
>>
>>942810
>>942831

I think pretty much anyone who lived there for more than a year or two quickly realized that bike theft is actually pretty big, but erry one has the same mamachari so it just turns into a circlejerk of theft.
>>
>>942771
>during the 15 minutes
What kind of a shoe string did you use to lock your seven fucking hundred euros bike down, nigger?
And what kind of a neighbourhood did you choose to leave it in, if on a Saturday day someone came with (presumably) a goddamned bolt cutter and boltcut thru this piece of shit lock you used, not seen by a single person?

That being said, 40k doesn't sound all that big. How many bikes like yours can be there? Track that fucker down and break his knees. That'll sound a massage.

>>942806
>and they literally just stole the entire rack with all the other bikes attached to it
Jesus Christ.
But hey, nothing you could do.
>>
That's really unlucky. Get a U-lock, the smallest one that will fit. If bolt cutters can't get inside, it won't be cut.
http://m.thesweethome.com/reviews/best-bike-lock/
>>
>>942833

90% sure they did it just to get at my bike and some other guy's Cannondale too. Everything else on it was Wal-Mart tier.
>>
If you absolutely have to leave it locked up, follow the previously stated advice about u-locks.
You can also try making your bike less appealing (read: ugly as shit) or strategically lock it up. I'll give you an example of what strategically locking means in this scenario. A while back I had to leave my bike locked up on a regular basis. Instead of locking it to the shitty rack right in front of my building, I scoped out the area for a good spot. I found a substantial rack 3 blocks away with one of the best anti-theft devices available, a better bike with a shitty lock. Every day I got to park my commuter next to a Trek 5200 (Ultegra/ Dura Ace mix) that only had a shitty wal-mart lock.
>>
>>942857
This.
So many this.
>>
File: 240194_25481_XL.jpg (242KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
240194_25481_XL.jpg
242KB, 1024x768px
Get the New York Fahgedaboutit. It's expensive af, but it's the best lock money can buy
>>
>>942901
Better off buying 5 cheaper d locks or chain locks with that money
>>
>>942901
>>942907

I have yet to see a bike lock that wasn't pretty easy to bust open with a jack or a cordless reciprocating saw.

All they're good for is slowing people down, and not much else. Obviously you want a lock that isn't just absolute crap, but the benefits of spending more cash drop off pretty quick after a certain point.
>>
>>942833
Good thieves can pop a good u-lock inside of a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AdugFzCi24

Mostly, you're looking to deter retarded tweakers and casual thieves. If someone wants your bike, and has a few good tools, they get it.

Pro thieves have somewhat sophisticated operations. They grab the bike, transfer it to a bicycle chop shop where it's parted out or stored to await transfer to another city. If there's a homeless camp or something nearby, there's a chance it could be there.

>>942857
An apartment building I used to live in had a bike lockup that got hit three times, and somehow my beater survived it, despite being reasonably decent compared to some of the wrecks that were taken. Maybe it's the blood curse I put on it, I dunno.
>>
Anyone here know anything about those RFID chipping services ? Seems like a good idea, would be a good deterrent if you could show such a device was fitted maybe...
>>
>>943065
RFID doesn't have sufficient range for tracking, if that's what you're getting at.

Something like a solar-powered GPS transmitter built into the frame might work, although it would have to be a carbon frame, and would wind up being too expensive to lock up and leave alone.
>>
>>943065

It would only help if the cops recovered your bike...which they pretty much never do.
>>
>>943095
RFID would be adequate for a crude sort of tracking in a densely built up city. Just need readers at intersections, and networking to hook them all up. They wouldn't even have to be at every intersection, just enough of them, and hidden enough, that a thief would be having a heart attack just from pedaling across town.

Combine an RFID reader with a database and a camera system capable of caching a few minutes of footage at high definition, and you could even have the camera auto-save footage from the timestamp of the perp's bike passing the reader.

In a place like New York where the only way in and out for a bike is certain bridges, it would work even better.
>>
>>942901
This shit looks like it weights more than a bike worth locking with that thing would.

>>943030
Most bike thieves are casual/occasion takers whatever. Those don't necessarily take the best bike there is, but most of the times they don't take the ones that they can't move easily.
There's not much anyone could do against pros and their angle griders or whatever the shit they'll hit you with. But those shmucks need time and peace to work, because otherwise they might get stopped or recognized and cracked down upon.
That's how a pair of "pro" bike thieves in my hood got done with.

>the Scotland Yard yard bit
Is the UK police a joke?
>>
>>943217

>need time and peace to work

Fuck no they don't. Usually it's guys from out of town or state, often targeting universities.

I've seen guys straight up cut street signs down, and nobody else around gives a shit. I'll call the cops and those guys either don't show up or are an hour late, hang out for a couple minutes and continue not caring.
>>
If you live in a decently sized city, then get a Tile and fix it to your bike. Will you get your bike back? Depends.
Having good locks is something I assume you're doing. Preferably multiple kinds (a good U lock, and a good chain lock for example), since bike thieves in my city tend to focus on one kind of lock.
>>
Proactive, next bike, serial numbers, photos, and the knowledge it will get stolen. Phx is bad, I know who stole mine, but I did not have the serial number......yes this methed out, toothless Fuck in the house with no windows has my bike officer.....or maybe 500 was a better investment in a bike than.....teeth.
>>
I use pick related and my bike is covered with my home and property casco (10€ a month, 90€ if anything happens). It's an older Scott Sportster, so I wouldn't mind getting a new model for 90€ anyway.
>>
>>944745
Forgot to say that it's convenient as fuck to use and store.
>>
>>943030
>Good thieves can pop a good u-lock inside of a minute.

A proper lock will deter approximately 99.9% of thieves. That is good enough for me. With some spatial awareness you can minimize the risk even further.

Proffesionals in the playing field - ones that are aware of a high quality bike being stored will get it, no matter the safety mechanism. I heard stories of sheds being broken into, then metal racks cut through using grinders, just to get a few bikes. Some thieves are that dedicated. But it is a rare thing. Most thieves run around hunting for bikes that have some value and are easy to get.

The deal is to make the endevour too cumbersome for them.

If a lock requires 4 feet cutters to break in sensible time ( less then a minute ) then that bike is safe - because it is not sensible for a thief to run around town with such tools when majority of his/her targets can be stolen with minimal effort.
>>
>>942901
is this the thing you can open with a bic pen?
>>
>>944748
This. I always feel comfortable parking next to similar bikes with shittier locks.
>>
Just use more lock
If someone was trying to steal my bike it would take them about 10 minutes to get all the locks off
>>
>>942771
>what does /n/ recommend to increase the safety for my next ride?
Wear a helmet.
>>
>>947539

That is the point where they just cut your bike in half to spite you.
>>
File: 20160428_170322.jpg (846KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160428_170322.jpg
846KB, 2048x1152px
A wise old locksmith owner told me this.

Look listen, everything you heard about bike locks is wrong.
The best you could do is to surround the bike with 2 chain around the wheels, frame, parking spot. And connected with 2 good U-lock & Padlock combo.

Even that alone only save you 2-6 minutes extra from the professionals, but enough for the petty thief to ignore you.
>"Unbreakable"
Try a GPS enable device inside the frame and easy to recharge, if extreme measurements are required.
>>
Bump2
>>
File: 20160428_170310.jpg (804KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160428_170310.jpg
804KB, 2048x1152px
>>950208
>inb4 rotate the 16:9 image you lazy fuck
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.