[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SEND HELP

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: 1456035175067.gif (1MB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
1456035175067.gif
1MB, 280x210px
Newfag at biking to work here. Is it me or do you get a flat tire a lot more often while it rains? How can I avoid this?
>>
>>927218
Next time use the BQG...

But yeah I do get more punctures during or immediately after a rain, probably because running water can wash small bits of glass across the road surface.

As for what to do about it: if you're getting punctures too often (note that you should rule out other causes first: pinch flats, tire damage, rim strip out of place, etc.) switch to a tire with a tougher casing, and/or one with a wider profile that's going to be less prone to picking up debris.
>>
>>927218

Get tires that don't fuck a dick

Like maybe something about 60 tpi

Senpai

Thnk about it

Better tires

Tighter weav

Getting that rolling resistance down to like, tight tight tight fresh shit
>>
Being aware of the road surface in front of you and not riding the gutter help reduce flats a lot. Obviously more resistant tires help a lot too. If you just don't want to fuck with it get marathons and pretty much never flat again.
>>
Make a habit of wiping debris off your tires after rides in bad weather, can stop stuff from working its way through the casing over time. Also everything else said so far is good advice.

Oh and obviously avoid riding over excessive debris if you can help it (usually riding too close to the edge of the road is no good)
>>
File: bnb_fire.png (260KB, 352x315px) Image search: [Google]
bnb_fire.png
260KB, 352x315px
>>927229
>marathons
>never flat again
For the first ~10k km that is. They'll start to soften up after that. (No idea about marathon plus, just the standard ones)
>>
if weight isnt too important to you get some thorn proof or puncture proof tubes. Ive been riding consistently for about a year and a half and ive never had a flat tire. Even pulled a 1/2 inch long thorn out of one once. Perfectly fine after that
>>
>>927218

I changed my tires to some sturdier one and went a from 23 - 28
I haven't had a flat since then.
I ride daily and in any weather.
worked just as well for a buddy
>>
>>927235
Is there tread left after that much distance? That's a lot of k's.
>>
>>927291
Yes, about half to one third of the original depth.
That's ~6250 miles btw.
>>
>>927218
The future is tubeless tyres, bro.

>MTBfag here; Roadfags suck cock.
>>
File: WP_20160223_19_19_33_Pro.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160223_19_19_33_Pro.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
>>927320
>buy new mavic UST wheel and tire "system"
>they are shipped with tubes installed
>>
File: schwalbe-lugano-2015-3[1].jpg (40KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
schwalbe-lugano-2015-3[1].jpg
40KB, 640x512px
Had 1 flat in 10k kilometers(3rd pair already,but cheap af)
And ride at least 2 times a week in rain,through LOADS of green broken beer bottles(like 5 patches of glass in +-2 km area for example)

Schwalbe confirmed for GOAT

>inb4 rolling resistance
>>
I use slime tubes, liners and quality tires while avoiding going off pavement. Almost a year now since I had a real flat, but I did get a slow leak a month ago with a small puncture near the valve.
>>
>>927339

had these before switching to continental tour ride 28

no flat for over a year of daily riding including rain and snow in a university town full of bad streets and broken bottles.

the luganos were flat once a week.
they were cheap as fuck though.
>>
>>927320
>t. lazy cunt
>>
>>928189
What's lazy got to do with it?

In terms of rolling resistance Schwalbe Pro Ones are just barely worse than Conti 4ksII... using latex tubes.

Add in the inherent puncture resistance and I'd say it's nearly perfect.
>>
>>927218
damn you bike fags are autistic

if you see the valve stem doing the tilt of death, AIR UP THE TIRE YOU MORON

also, keep a patch kit and tire spoons in your bag.
>>
Use slime, flat attack, or similar. Punctures are inevitable.
>>
>>927218
>How can I avoid this?

Walk
>>
I used to inflate my 25c tyres to 70-80psi and got a puncture every few weeks.

Then someone pointed out that I was under inflating them, I started inflating to 105-115 and haven't had a puncture in over 3 years and 20,000km, using absolute bargain bin tyres with no puncture protection (the factory tyres on a giant defy 3, and a trek 1.1, and conti ultra sport II's when those were worn).

I know this is just anecdotes but seriously just pump your tyres up all the way. There's a broken bottle at the end of my street and I've rolled over it every day for weeks now, no problems.
>>
>>927229
This, but the tougher tires will slow you down. Depends on your priorities. For commuting ideally get something in between. Not a super tough heavy duty touring tire, but not a really lightweight tire either. I use Vittoria Randonneur Pro IIs, they're a great balance of fast and tough for commuting, randonneuring, cruising the city, etc.
>>
>>930170
It is true that filling tires to the maximum recommended pressure will tremendously reduce risk of pinch flats (btw OP, the max pressure varies from tire to tire, it is marked on the side of your tire). However, OP's issue is getting flats when it rains, which suggests that he is getting punctures from debris on the road/trail, not pinch flats. Therefore, I don't think having a higher pressure would make a whole lot of difference. Tougher tires and being vigilant to avoid riding through sharp debris are the best solutions to that problem.
>>
>>930170
>There's a broken bottle at the end of my street and I've rolled over it every day for weeks now, no problems.
...why are you not riding around it?
>>
>>930173
I'm too hardcore
>>
File: conti-gator-hardshell-cut.jpg (61KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
conti-gator-hardshell-cut.jpg
61KB, 800x800px
I N V I N C I B L E
>>
>>930171
How much of a difference is there for a semicasual rider though? I'm someone would notice the difference between Gator Hardshells and GP SuperSonics (just using Conti as an example here), but would it make a huge difference in speed for most people?
>>
>>930349
>most people
>semicasual
>huge difference
The problem with your question is that it's impossibly vague. Here on /n/ if you say you ride more than 10 miles a week this is an implausible boast because the average person buys a $3000 touring bike and never uses it. But if your average speed is less than 30mph you are practically track standing, and you should focus on maintaining a reasonable enough pace so you're not constantly struggling not to topple over.

Anyway just go here if you want real info: http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com
>>
>>930287
That's not me but its true.

>>930173
Theres about 5 metres of 'footpath' at the end of my street that lets me cut the corner and avoid waiting for the street lights, but the path doesnt really lead anywhere and never gets used so the glass hasn't been swept away. The glass covers the whole path though.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.