[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys, please help me figure out the ultimate bike for a truck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 18

File: trucker-bike-dsc02275.jpg (32KB, 350x388px) Image search: [Google]
trucker-bike-dsc02275.jpg
32KB, 350x388px
Guys, please help me figure out the ultimate bike for a truck driver.
I never know what city I will be in from day to day and truckstops are often on the edge of town.

I need to sometimes travel on rough terrain and speed is not really a factor.

If I keep the bike outside the cab like pic related it will get pretty dirty and caked in salt in winter.

If I keep in inside the cab I needs to no have any greasy parts to make a mess and the wheels should come off easily.

Extra points for cool/quirky since I lead a solitary life and an conversation starter is a big plus.

Thanks in advance for any help.
>>
>>925678
Single Speed Steel Frame Fixed Gear bike

2 tools and you have everything you need to fix it.

Get a bag for the chain and gear and you're good.

Go get wacky handlebars
>>
I cant believe I am about to advise this but, walmart bike that you can throw away after 6 months to a year. Buy it cheap, rebuild it on your own because they were probably built like shit. Tbh if you do the mechanical work yourself and dont try to jump or anything blatantly irresponsible with it, then it should hold up. Just get some decent tubes, maybe slime and liners. It will save you money in the long run. You could actually clean the grease out of all the bearings and then just spray the hell out of it with WD-40 all the time to slow the rust down.. and since its only meant to last a year then no worries about the bike eventually failing... just might be a bit squeaky

On the flipside you could build a rigid 90s mountain bike with sealed bearings for every thing... but that will be a pain in the ass.

both of these will be ok to leave on the back of your truck.
>>
>>925680
I have another trucker buddy that rides a fixie.
He is forever crashing and I am not known for being super coordinated.
Are they safe?
>>
>>925682
Interesting , of these I think I would lean towards the 90s MB.
I should add that I was once an auto mechanic so pretty good with tools though I have no real bike wrenching experience past the age of 14 when I had a BMX bike.
>>
>>925686
yeah bike wrenching is easy as fuck, only the stupidest of hipster bike mechanics make it out to be difficult...

I was also thinking maybe a bag or a bike case of some sort would work well if you have to hang it on the back of the truck. Then you could get something decent or hell maybe a fat bike so you could start conversations with the locals.
>>
>>925678
Brompton
>>
>>925678
Titanium folding bike from China
>>
File: LRW_3467.jpg (168KB, 740x493px) Image search: [Google]
LRW_3467.jpg
168KB, 740x493px
>>925678

Don't get a fixie. You'll be in cities with rough roads, and towns with hills, and places with good off-road riding.

You want something sturdy and reliable.

Surly bikes come to mind. They are very utilitarian but also a little goofy. Surly fans have a little cult and people will chat you up with one.

My immediate intuition (assuming you like flat-bar bikes as a casual rider) is a Surly Troll/Ogre

One is 26" the other is 29" - both are fine

Get some Schwalbe Mondial tires from bike-discount.de, big ones.

The bike will be on the heavy side but VERY sturdy. The tires will never get flats and you'll be able to ride on road and off (gravel trails) comfortably.

The only concern would be steel parts if you keep it out in the rain. The surly frame is steel but well painted. After that, keep everything Aluminum. Bolts included.

And Internal Gear Hub like the bike in the picture might be smart, since there will be less parts exposed to the elements. But IGH will add weight and if it breaks you will be paying more to have it fixed.

The bike in the picture has a leather saddle which you would not want to leave exposed to the rain.

Solitary life? If you enjoy that, this bike is a great touring bike. If biking seems like something you could really enjoy, you could ride this bike across the world.

Touring + camping can cost as little as $20k for an entire year to live in relative comfort.

This bike will last f-o-r-e-v-e-r, another appeal of the Surly bikes, where sturdy, durable, customizable, and affordable are their main objectives
>>
Anything that allows 28cc tires at least, and rack mounts because probably you will need to carry some stuff from the city. Rigid fork if possible because maintenance reasons.
>>
>>925697

And second thought, if you want to save money, a steel 90s MTB with a rigid fork will do a lot of what a Surly Troll/Ogre can do, you will just be missing out on:

> disc brakes (v-brakes w/ kool stop pads are recommended for a 90s MTB)
> 29er wheels (easier to roll over shit)
> convenience for mounting fenders/racks/extra water bottles
> new bike with no mechanical issues

But a 90's MTB, taken to a bike shop to upgrade tires, pedals, saddle, brakes --- would probably come out to $500 for something nearly Surly level
>>
>>925697
>One is 26" the other is 29"

Is 26 small enough for a 5'6" manlet?>>925697
>And Internal Gear Hub like the bike in the picture might be smart, since there will be less parts exposed to the elements.

this sounds good and I am not worried about speed too much.>>925701
>Rigid fork if possible because maintenance reasons.
Is there a lot of maintenance on a shock fork?
>>
>>925711

26" is the wheel size (traditional MTB size you're familiar with). Now adays everyone rides 29" wheels (road bike diameter) and 26" is less popular.

I'm sure both bike models will have a size that fits you perfectly. The main advantage of 26" is that if you ride a bike to the 3rd world, you won't be able to find 29" stuff. Also, generally cheaper to replace.

29" wheels will be better at rolling over bumps and pot-holes. I'd lean 29"

IGH is an expensive doo-dad. You'll need to buy a Surly frame and built it up from all the parts. Can be fun but also exhausting/frustrating if you are not experienced or patient (waiting for parts you ordered to trickle in through the mail system)
>>
How on earth did a brand new thread make it so far down the main catalog page?
And why wont it bump?
>>
>>925678
This might be up your alley, OP.

Its a folder so you can keep it inside cabin to keep it safe from thieves and elements.
Its a proper sized bike so no little wheeled Bromptons.
It can take on some bad roads.
Its not a regular bike so it can be a thing of interest and a conversation starter.
>>
>>925759
Fuck forgot to paste the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLqTX6ij52U
>>
>>925678
>If I keep in inside the cab I needs to no have any greasy parts to make a mess and the wheels should come off easily.
Belt drive is pretty much he only non greasy option.
>>
>>925728
heavily samefagging op most likely
>>
>>925763
dat bike.
>>
Could you not invest in some sort of bike case that sits on the back of the truck like in OP pic related, that would completely eliminate the exposure problems? then you could have any bike out there and not worry. Or even rig up a tarpaulin or something that would shield it from 99% of rain, snow, salt spray etc..?
>>
File: wolverine.jpg (341KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
wolverine.jpg
341KB, 1280x853px
>>925763

Wolverines are THE hype shopbro bike of 2015 (after maybe the Elephant NFE)
>>
>>925763
I quite like that bike.
How much would one tricked out like that cost?
>>
>>925764
>>925764
actually it turns out I had the order set to reply count like an idiot.
>>
>>925808
Dynohub lights are $150 - $500, plus a wheel build. Should have a rear light too, can have USB charger. Much more convenient and reliable than clip-on flashlight, but you pay for it.
Hydraulic dicks should cost at least $200, they are difficult to maintain on the road and the cheaper ones tend to leak and squeal. Don't cheap out. You don't need them for what you are doing, but they feel really nice and smooth under your fingers!
Belt drive adds about $200 over chain, needs special new frame with broken seatstay, some sort of tension adjuster, and extra stiff chainstay, as well as the belt system itself. If you don't want grease everywhere it's that or a Dutch style full chaincase. If you keep the bike in the sleeper, you will also want a folding frame. There are large-wheel ones that just fold in half and small-wheel ones that transform into carry-on, all more expensive yet.
If you opt for this stuff instead of plan: Walmart, invest in a serious lock too.
>>
>>925689

If money is a concern get a nice 90s mtb and read up on it and start pimping it out over time , but start with something allright (think 1 1/8 steerer lx components or smthn) and a case for the bike to put into and than put it on the back like in the pic.
>>
>>925678
You truck alone? Get rid of the passenger's seat and/or the top bunk.
>>
>>925876
I am under the impression that maybe OP doesnt own his truck and its instead a company vehicle. I think modifications will be out for this reason.
>>
>>925697
>Surly bikes come to mind.
The only time surly bikes comes to mind is with a troll bike thread.
>>
>>925898
Might be.
Just dump the bike on one of the bunks then, OP. And if you don't want it to be greasy, wipe it after a ride and use a ""dry"" chain lube or whatever. I don't make much of an effort to keep my bike store display clean but it rarely is greasy or dirty enough to make a mess.
Cheers.
>>
>>925903
Ok I've been seeing this for years and I still don't get it. Is it just one butthurt anon pushing the surly is bad meme? Is it like SI brochure guy?
>>
>>925678
My two cents;
Grab a 26" Dj Mtb, Like this 2013 Mongoose Fireball. They are relatively inexpensive, lightweight and extremely durable. They have double quick release and take very little space as the frames (With wheels off) are tiny.
I have one, converted to single speed (Not Fixed obv) which makes it super simple to assemble and just ride. With a single speed chain you could run it almost bone dry with just a dab of non greasy chain 'jelly'. They are also quite fast, being lightweight, well geared and typically running 'urban' high pressure tires.
Bonus round: A nice plush seat and front suspension make for a pretty comfy ride around the beaten up truck stops and small towns.
Extra Credit: They are cool, and carry a bit of street cred,
>>
>>925678
>plastic grocery bag over seat
Beaner detected
>>
>>925910
Not like: they are the same guy.
>>926017
Wut, doesn't everyone do that? Otherwise it gets all gritty.
>>
>>925940

>mongoose
>street cred

pick one
>>
>>926236
I dont leave my bike stay outside and only ride when its a perfect 72F with no wind.
>>
>>925940
What is the point of that saddle height and angle? If you are going to set it so that it's impossible to sit on, why even have a saddle?
>>
File: radio-astron-red-2011-1.jpg (296KB, 1000x664px) Image search: [Google]
radio-astron-red-2011-1.jpg
296KB, 1000x664px
>>926265
While this might be true, for me at least on a bmx, on a 26" mtb i have no trouble whatsoever being in the saddle and riding a Dirtjump (Dj) mtb, in fact at 6"3 96kg, i commute along trail and road around 15km a day, and it's very comfortable. I replaced the saddle with something more plush and I love it.

The idea of course for doing tricks, having the seat out of the way, but again on a 26" frame, it's a petty cruisey riding position.

Horses for courses, But as a general purpose, lightweight, solid and compact cruiser / short commuter / fun on and off road bike - 10/10
>>
File: Vasquez-Cannondale-14.jpg (258KB, 625x417px) Image search: [Google]
Vasquez-Cannondale-14.jpg
258KB, 625x417px
volvo x cdale super v dhf
>>
>>926341
Is that collectible?
>>
File: Collectible Bike.jpg (28KB, 508x328px) Image search: [Google]
Collectible Bike.jpg
28KB, 508x328px
>>926365
Almost.
>but not quite
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (13KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
13KB, 320x180px
>>926387
>>926365
>>926341
Sir Topham Kek to you gentlemen.
I shall now clean the tea from my ascot
>>
File: 1024px-Compact_2011.jpg (112KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
1024px-Compact_2011.jpg
112KB, 1024x685px
>>925678
If you want it compact and with no greasy parts maybe consider a shaft-driven bicycle. People usually notice it got no chain. Works well as conversation starter.
>>
File: dekochari-11.jpg (120KB, 580x383px) Image search: [Google]
dekochari-11.jpg
120KB, 580x383px
>>925678
Dekochari 4 ur dekotora
>>
File: dekochari-2.jpg (102KB, 580x387px) Image search: [Google]
dekochari-2.jpg
102KB, 580x387px
>>925678
>>
File: mightymus.jpg (39KB, 526x473px) Image search: [Google]
mightymus.jpg
39KB, 526x473px
>Now adays everyone rides 29" wheels (road bike diameter) and 26" is less popular.

dis a joke?
>>
>>926512
But it's true
26ers are super gay
>>
>>926512

What part of that would be a joke? Do you not realize 29er and 700c are the same diameter you pleb?
>>
>>926513
>>926538
>wat is 27.5er
>>
>>926545
Ultra gay
>>
>>926513
they'll be cool again next year
>>
>>926545

Oh 27.5.... yeah true those are the new hype shit

>>926581

Agreed. Shopbros know 26 is the best deal out there since there are millions of trend hoppers flooding the used market with 26er stuff for cheap

Slap some 2.2" tires on them and you're on-trend for fat tires and running the equivalent of a 700x25mm diameter
>>
>>926423
Shaft drive seems pretty cool but do you lose any power?
I know on a motorcycle its about 10%
>>
>>926647
Manufacturer says you lose about 4%. Not this bad if you know a chain in perfect condition will lose 2%. A worn out chain will lose way more. The downside of a shaft drive is it's heavier then a chain.
>>
keeping grease off the upholstery would be a full time job.
>>
>>926607

It doesn't matter how "good deal" 26er is if you're not a manlet and its too small for you.

26ers were a historical accident. Get over it.
>>
File: dashlarge08840.jpg (273KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
dashlarge08840.jpg
273KB, 600x450px
Get an electric folding bike. I have the Batribike Dash and the assistance more than makes up for the shortcomings of the non electric folder.
>>
Vaya
Crosscheck
Fargo
Macho Man
Troll/Ogre
90s rigid mtb
>>
>>925697
Sounds like a Surly shill but this guy is right. Everything he said is right.
>>
>>925701
>28
more like 35
>>
>>927274
Do they sell those to Americans?
>>
>>927363
no
>>
>>925697
>aluminum bolts
>>
>>925697
>This bike will last f-o-r-e-v-e-r

This is true of pretty much all bikes.
>>
>>925697
Jesus Christ don't use aluminum bolts, just use anti-Seize on regular 8.8 or 10.9 graded bolts and fisholine the heads and exposed threads
>>
>>925682
>recommends slime
>thinks he's qualified to give advice
>>
>>928151
what is wrong with slime for non performance applications?
>>
>>928540
It's not meme friendly.
>>
>>928540

The only thing it accomplishes is making tube changes more messy.
>>
>>928821
That and sealing most punctures including goat heads
>>
get an adventure bike
>>
File: troller.jpg (226KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
troller.jpg
226KB, 800x532px
>>925697

Surly makes the World Troller, which is a Troll that splits in half. Maybe good for a trucker? I've got an ECR and fuck damn I love that bike. I need to go the dentist to get the shit and bugs picked out of my teeth after riding it.
>>
>>925711

You'd get a good fit with a Surly 26". The Troll can also fit 3" minifat tyres and 27.5MTB wheels.
>>
>>926423

If you don't want grease, get a bike cover.
>>
Just get whatever bike you want.
If you are going to keep it in the cab, have an old towel and/or canvas blanket to cover the drivetrain.
If you are going to keep it in top of the cab, wrap it in a tarpauline to protect it from the weather.

Brompton might be a nice option of you don't plan on travelling too far, otherwise you could get a decent tourer or flat bar road bike.

But...... can I suggest a mini-velo?
>>
Cheap alloy MTB, I've been looking at some for my girlfriend and the quality now is pretty good for even the cheapest stuff. I'm talking bike store bikes though, not dept store trash.
>>
>>929883
>mini-velo
what the wtf is that?
a small fixie?
>>
>>929921
An otherwise full size road bike with tiny wheels.
>>
File: infinitempgs.jpg (122KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
infinitempgs.jpg
122KB, 1280x720px
Not sure how much space you have in the back but if it fits I would get the modern equivalent of this. 70cc, 55mph tops, four-stroke with a very low first gear that can climb any grade of hill, and it will handle rough terrain just fine from personal experience with them.
>>
I just saw a facebook post about a truckie who loves riding and while he keeps his best at home, he takes a BMX on the road with him.
>>
File: bmx.jpg (110KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
bmx.jpg
110KB, 1280x720px
>>930436

Pic.
>>
>>930437
that's a reefer unit and he must own it or never drop and hook.
>>
>>930472

I don't know about any of that shit, but a BMX is fine. I had one for ages until it got stolen, and while it wasn't real fast it was fun to ride around anywhere and pop shitty tricks. It was so small you'd basically have to be retarded to hurt yourself if you fell off, so it was a good bar bike.
>>
>>930584
as a manlet with zero bmx skills I feel like I would look pretty silly on one.
Also I will need to cover a lot of ground sometimes, like maybe 20 miles.
what is the top speed of an unladen BMX?
>>
>>930626

You can gear a BMX for a bit of extra pace. Seriously I suggest that haters' gonna hate and to disregard the opinion of shitlords. Do what you want man, fuck the haters.

Saying that, 20 Miles is a long way on a BMX, but I saw a guy do 160Miles on one last year.
>>
A workman patrol bike
>>
>>930805
maybe if they made a ten speed bmx...
>>
>>925678
I've got two suggestions.
One, is get just about any kind of bike and get a cover for it. That will keep it clean up there.
You might need to glue/sew some fasteners on the cover to keep it on the bike at highway speeds but that's no big deal.

The other, better suggestion (because a covered bike will probably get stolen if not locked to something) is to get a folding bike and convert it to an IGH.

A folding bike with an internal gear hub has precious few external dirty bits and will be as small as you can get inside the cabin. You can get folders with IGHs or convert one, depending on how much you want to spend.

There's a ton of folding mountain bikes and I don't know lots about them so I let someone else talk about that. You might not really need a mountain bike though. Most average bikes can handle a bit of rough terrain ok, so long as you're not riding on soft dirt tracks, most average 20' tires will be ok, just don't get anything too thin. Most of your decisions will be based on your budget.

It will be quirky compliant.
>>
>>931515
that thing does look pretty cool
who makes it?
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.