[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't these more popular, /bike/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: e0132852_2029391.jpg (118KB, 640x479px) Image search: [Google]
e0132852_2029391.jpg
118KB, 640x479px
Why aren't these more popular, /bike/?
>>
>>907320
Washing hubs is a pain in the ass. Evermore so if it's some boutique brand so I have to scour the net to find its bearings and proprietary tools. Just get some shimano and it's done.
>>
>>907320
they look like something that belongs on a crappy lowrider bike
>>
>>907320
>Why aren't these more popular
Because they're over-engineered for bicycle use, in practical terms they give very small benefit for an extreme increase in cost.
>>
>>907333
>Just get some shimano and it's done.
Want some serious bang for the buck? Get hubs with full ceramic bearings.
>>
>>907357
Surely the cost will come down after enough freds pay off the development cost

Besides even front and rear hubs are still cheaper than a Prius
>>
>>907320
>hub sets are $1500 for the "poorfag" version and over $5000 for the high end version
>Why aren't these more popular

Bruh, the minuscule performance gain isn't worth the fact that they cost 10x more that a perfectly decent hub. I could buy a damn nice bike for the cost of these hubs.
>>
File: JF100_01400.jpg (733KB, 2200x1471px) Image search: [Google]
JF100_01400.jpg
733KB, 2200x1471px
>>907320
what are they?
>>
>>907442
Gokiso hubs
>>
File: image (2).jpg (97KB, 941x703px) Image search: [Google]
image (2).jpg
97KB, 941x703px
>>907444
what is that ?
>>
File: why.jpg (48KB, 770x500px) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
48KB, 770x500px
>>907416
They would give a large performance gain but the pesky chain keeps that from happening.

>>907442
Japanese engineering gone mad. Hubs with far less friction, and accordingly greater lifespan and efficiency. Hideously expensive.
>>
>>907363
Hubs that use cartridge bearings are cool until you need to service them. The tools to properly remove and replace cartridge bearings can be really costly.
Replacement parts for cup and cone hubs are available almost everywhere, can be very affordable, and can be serviced with limited tools.
If you are riding in a place with easy access to the resources needed to service a sealed bearing hub, that is awesome, but most folk with get better economy out of a cup and cone hub.
>>
>>907471

You could easily change out cartridge bearings with a rock and a stick if you really had to. Any industrial supply or machine shop would likely have bike sized bearings in stock. Ceramic cartridge bearings are a little more tricky but you could get them in with a homemade bearing press if you really had to.

Cup and Cone hubs are just way too finicky to set up. Just slightly too loose or too tight and bam your hub races are destroyed. Plus it's pretty much a guessing game when setting the preload when you take into account the axle tension.
>>
>>907472
I have never heard of a method to remove and install cartridge bearings with rocks and sticks. I'm curious to see how this would work.

Cup and cone can take a little bit longer to adjust, but it isn't as impossible as you make it sound. Once you've done it a few times, it becomes quite intuitive. The trick is to have the smallest amount of play that you can feel before you tighten down the QR. If it is too tight from there, you simply back off the nondrive side cone an eighth of a turn, and check again.
>>
>>907446
dude is that a cat lmao
>>
>>907368
Nikki: it was obvious nobody wanted you here while you 'tripped; it should still be obvious nobody wants your shit-tier opinions now.

Shut up. Stop posting. Kill self.
>>
>>907504
With the amount of anger you're showing there, you are the nikki. All you need is to add white chankid gamer geek from chengdu
>>
>>907320
unless you have perfectly round & smooth tires, that are properly balanced, riding on a surface as flat as glass in a vacuum, you will not notice a difference between these and cheaper hubs / bearings.
>>
>>907452
Nyet. The amount of drag that the freewheel creates while coasting is minimal if the freewheel is in good shape.

That graph looks impressive to dumbfucks like you, but it doesn't mean anything. If you did a buildup of watts dissipated to all factors (aerodynamics, rolling resistance at the tires, bottom bracket bearings, hub bearings, chain, etc), you would find that the benefit of these hubs is minimal.
>>
>>907494
someones gotta navigate ; )
>>
>>907452
it's a graph of how long it takes for a wheel to stop all by itself. No rider, no bike, no road surface. Ahueheuehe, wow damn.

Also, freehubs with loud pawls are literally worse than a cager. Silent coasting hubs nigga.
>>
>>907636
>not having wheels with loud pawls
poorfag detected
>>
>>907636
>freehubs with loud pawls are literally worse than a cager
I like the sound of DT Swiss. I don't like the sound of Chris King
That said, I also like silent freehubs
>>
File: 1354068111045.gif (7KB, 100x95px) Image search: [Google]
1354068111045.gif
7KB, 100x95px
>>907472

>Can't cup and cone efficiently.

Fukken bitch ass.
>>
>>907472
>Plus it's pretty much a guessing game when
>setting the preload when you take into
>account the axle tension.

No, it's not, you amateur. You adjust with the axle tensioned. See PT http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/hub-overhaul-and-adjustment#article-section-7
>>
>>907615
You could also find that the oh-so-great hub is so good att rolling because it has no seals and will only work indoors, on a track.
>>
>>907471

Use a fucking socket to press the new bearings in you autist.
>>
>>908432
>Using an object with rounded edges to press bearings
Stop posting, mongoloid
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.